Awoo.

Should Sonic Team consider using BRB writers?

8ther

I would wait for comment Sonic Boom story, since the full game isn't out and maybe some part of the story is missing. But the first impressions to this game gives me a deep disappoint.

I gave Boom a chance (the designs never bothered me, Tails is pretty cool), it looked a bit promising, i through it was more a story telling than what i found out later in the months.

Bunch of unimpressive dialogue.

You would reply to me tat this is a game with a direct target from toddlers to 11 years old kids.

Why it should be so .... "Circus", why are jokes in every corner? Kids will ever like this kind of game?

Strangely kids don't understand jokes at all, they understand how to play and make progress, but they don't stop the game and think about the joke. I tell you this because (another of my stupid examples) i didn't understand half of the jokes in the emperor's new groove when i was little, but i did later when i grew up, and the jokes in that movie were so simple but yet i ignored them as a kid.

Now this is my impression of the gameplay videos. The full story is unknown for me, i hope is still something more than just a bag of useless jokes.

And who will buy this game? For sure most of the people who hitted puberty than kids, who prefer hardcore gaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

*In-topic* 

"Should Sonic Team consider using BRB writers?"

In a word........NO !

First Pontac and Graff, and now Rafei and whoever helped him.

I held high hopes for Boom before June 8th, I liked the re-designs, I enjoyed the show preview, and I was excited like I never was since 2008 when I first saw the teaser trailer.

And then....

These : 

That cutscene with Sonic and Knuckles aside ("You think you can keep up with me ?"), which felt really like something from SA1, the rest is just Pontac and Graff x10.

Sonic is even more unlikeable, selfish, and still treats everything like a TERRIBLE unfunny stand up comedian  (and I couldn't give a damn less about "character development"), and Roger sounds even worse than before.

Tails is back to boring useless nerd , but I think he will be a mix of this persona and the cynical passive-aggressive nerd from Colors. At least his voice is more mellow.

Knuckles is...a dumber Sonic. He's just a walking stereotype, existing for the sake of teh lulz.

Amy...still not much to say, but the premises aren't good.

Eggman is no longer a respectable villain. He's even MORE pathetic than the Post Colors games. He can't even build his own robot apparently, and he speaks like a dudebro...how original...as in no.

Lyric is just... boring, and Sonic's STUPID, STUPID UNFUNNY reaction destroys any possible good build up.

If I were to predict the plot of this...game, I think of a mix of '06 and Lost World 

'06 : ancient villain with connection to a main character ( Shadow and Mephiles, which was better, and now...sigh...Sonic and Lyric), possible time travel, characters behaving like incompetent and inconsistent morons.

Lost World/Colors : bad jokes, character behaving like self righteous bastards, Sonic fucks up again (judging Frost and Rafei's words)

Then what's this ?

More Internet jokes ? ("Rings ! NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM")

More 4th wall breaks ?? ("Looks like these things were bulit for me !" "You guys are a good supporting cast")

And in the new show trailer ? "Eeevil haaaam"

What kind of sane minded kid enjoy this stuff ??? Because, remember, this stuff is "fur kidz", then for the "fans"

I'm sorry, BRB and CO., but I'm done with you even before the release. Of both game(s) and show. PERIOD

• Thumbs Up 1

Why should they? What on EARTH have they done to deserve such a job??

They have done nothing but flanderize the characters dramatically. Flanderization of developed characters is never a good thing. 

No they shouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why the hell Sonic should ever take ANYTHING from Mario ???

Well, Mario has remained a respected and loved gaming icon over his many years, whereas Sonic has become a total joke. I don't want Sonic to become exactly like Mario, but I don't think it would hurt to take a few notes.

Well, Mario has remained a respected and loved gaming icon over his many years, whereas Sonic has become a total joke. I don't want Sonic to become exactly like Mario, but I don't think it would hurt to take a few notes.

Well, excuse me, but since 2010, Sonic Team has done nothing but taking "a few notes" from Mario, with Lost World as the lowest point, a generally unpopular game, which is basically a Mario rip-off.

So no, thank you, but no thank you. Sonic should only take notes from his past, not from his (former) rival.

...You're a very unpleasant person.

This, combined with your use of "retarded" in some of your other posts, is certainly very telling of who you are. For all you complain about fictional characters being assholes--even when they really aren't--you sure don't seem very aware of your own behaviour. It's actually interesting in a sad kind of way.

Yeah, I'm done.

Mmmh...I must say, it's good to see that you're more interested in my persona than actually counter what I say with examples. You are simply dismissing what I'm saying, and trying to make me sound like a sick person doesn't help your case.

And after all, since my way to talk is sick to you, isn't it the same way Sonic treats everybody since 2010, especially Lost World and Boom ?

Since you didn't mind Sonic behaving like this, and then, you should be OK with anybody SUPPOSEDLY talking like this; I can't see what's your deal about my post.

And after all, since my way to talk is sick to you, isn't it the same way Sonic treats everybody since 2010, especially Lost World and Boom ?

I'm pretty sure Sonic's never called anyone "retarded".

Not to mention there's that preexisting trust between Sonic and his friends, whereas you're some guy we just met like a day or two ago.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mmmh...I must say, it's good to see that you're more interested in my persona than actually counter what I say with examples. You are simply dismissing what I'm saying, and trying to make me sound like a sick person doesn't help your case.

Since you didn't mind Sonic behaving like this, and then, you should be OK with anybody SUPPOSEDLY talking like this; I can't see what's your deal about my post.

Every time you bring up how Sonic acts in this game, and then dismiss how people can relate to that by basically saying "fuck you that's despicable", it seriously pains me.

Do you not have any regard for people's feelings? Your manner of posting feels insensitive to the moon, and your relentless behavior is something that is incredibly unpleasant indeed.

I love how your apparent examples seemingly justify that you're objectively right, as if having a sense of humor and poking around with your friends is so god damn wrong, and I must be blind. Your manner of superiority is hard to stomach.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty sure Sonic's never called anyone "retarded".

Not to mention there's that preexisting trust between Sonic and his friends, whereas you're some guy we just met like a day or two ago.

Sonic wouldn't call anybody retarded...for now. Unless P&G or Rafei or whoever decide so.

But he still expressed that way to the D6 and his "friends" in Boom. Watch again those clips I send, carefully, please.

Sonic wouldn't call anybody retarded...for now.

So you admit to being worse than the horrendously unlikable Colors/SLoW Sonic?
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, excuse me, but since 2010, Sonic Team has done nothing but taking "a few notes" from Mario, with Lost World as the lowest point, a generally unpopular game, which is basically a Mario rip-off.

So no, thank you, but no thank you. Sonic should only take notes from his past, not from his (former) rival.

This is a bit off topic, but this whole "Mario Ripoff!" thing is bugging me a bit.

Lost World is hardly a Mario ripoff, aesthetics aside. Colors and Generations are even further away. Mario is not the only lighthearted series in existence.

One note that he could take from Mario is the whole thing where he releases complete and polished games that people adore. Say what you will about Mario, but unlike Sonic, he isn't constantly considered a joke, he's generally on solid footing when it comes to quality, and he has a consistent style that's been built on, refined, tweaked, and shaken up in the right ways for 30 years now. Sonic can learn a lot from Mario. Mario is still kicking while all these other mascots like Crash and Spyro are dropping dead all around for a reason. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Whilst I'm not a fan of BRB's writing style... this post caught my eye.

Eggman is no longer a respectable villain. He's even MORE pathetic than the Post Colors games. He can't even build his own robot apparently, and he speaks like a dudebro...how original...as in no.

Lyric is just... boring, and Sonic's STUPID, STUPID UNFUNNY reaction destroys any possible good build up.

There is no evidence to support any of this.

The only thing you have a minor point with is Eggman using someone elses robot... but why shouldn't he? It's a war machine, why wouldn't he use it?

If you're going to complain about that, you might as well complain about him using Time Eater or the Chaos Emeralds to power the death egg since they're not his creations either.

This has been the only one so far... how is this a problem?

More 4th wall breaks ?? ("Looks like these things were bulit for me !"

"You guys are a good supporting cast")

"Were built for me" is not a 4th wall break, it's a plot device.

"Good supporting cast" It's not a 4th wall break, it's a sign of Sonic being slightly more arrogant in this game than in past titles. This one in particular has been widely documented.

And in the new show trailer ? "Eeevil haaaam"

BRB are not writing the TV show.

And Evil Ham is amazing.

• Thumbs Up 7

Every time you bring up how Sonic acts in this game, and then dismiss how people can relate to that by basically saying "fuck you that's despicable", it seriously pains me.

Do you not have any regard for people's feelings? Your manner of posting feels insensitive to the moon, and your relentless behavior is something that is incredibly unpleasant indeed.

I love how your apparent examples seemingly justify that you're objectively right, as if having a sense of humor and poking around with your friends is so god damn wrong, and I must be blind. Your manner of superiority is hard to stomach.

More than "fuck you that's despicable", I would rather say you should lecture it as "How in the world can you find somebody like that being interesting and sympathetic ?"

Because that's what I'd like to know.

Again, why are you concentrating on my way of expression, and not on my arguments about why I don't like it ?

"Your manner of superiority is hard to stomach". So it's Pontaff and Boom Sonic's way. And still, you enjoy it, but you all complain about my complains.

There's a pretty big difference between jokingly poking fun at your friends and calling some people you've never met retarded. One is meant in jest and aimed towards somebody that you're intimate enough with to casually make such remarks with and know it's not serious. The other is a legitimate jab at the intelligence of somebody you have never met before and know nothing about. So no, I would not call somebody who I met a few minutes ago and knew nothing about beyond the very limited conversations I had already had with them retarded. Because that would be retarded.

So you admit to being worse than the horrendously unlikable Colors/SLoW Sonic?

Why are you saying this like it was directed to someone directly ? I never insulted anybody here. 

You are just so fixated with the fact that "I'm the bad guy because I disagree with you all", that you can't see anything else but that.  

But he doesn't treat people like garbage. At most, he insults Eggman--if you were using that angle I could maybe give you the benefit of the doubt, but as it is? Your argument comes across as willing misinterpretation of a character because of a vendetta against the writers. It's even worse than fans who willingly misinterpet a character's actions/words because they dislike the character!

Fine, I'll respond to your points, if that's what you really want. I was going to, up until I decided I was "done"...but you know what, that's too easy.

That cutscene with Sonic and Knuckles aside ("You think you can keep up with me ?"), which felt really like something from SA1, the rest is just Pontac and Graff x10.

Sonic is even more unlikeable, selfish, and still treats everything like a TERRIBLE unfunny stand up comedian  (and I couldn't give a damn less about "character development"), and Roger sounds even worse than before.

I'm curious, are you saying you don't care about character development as a concept, or do you feel that they won't be able to write this development well? If it's the latter, fair enough. Being skeptical is fine.

I'll actually concede that Sonic's being a bit of a jerk at the beginning of the game, due to his wanting to be a loner, but I'm a sucker for characters who start out wanting to do things on their own but eventually learn friendship's pretty alright after all. Since Boom seems to be an origin story of sorts, it's a valid choice for a character arc.

Tails is back to boring useless nerd , but I think he will be a mix of this persona and the cynical passive-aggressive nerd from Colors. At least his voice is more mellow.

Yeah, cynical passive-aggressive nerds are the worst!~

As for Knuckles and Amy, I'm currently neutral based on what we know of their portrayal in Boom, so I won't bother arguing about them.

In Sonic Boom's 'verse, especially the game, Eggman is new to this whole evil villain streak. If you don't like it, fine, but there's a logic behind how he's being portrayed.

I disagree. Granted, comedy is subjective, but even if I didn't find that little moment amusing, I don't really see how it destroys the build up.

If I were to predict the plot of this...game, I think of a mix of '06 and Lost World 

'06 : ancient villain with connection to a main character ( Shadow and Mephiles, which was better, and now...sigh...Sonic and Lyric), possible time travel, characters behaving like incompetent and inconsistent morons.

Lost World/Colors : bad jokes, character behaving like self righteous bastards, Sonic fucks up again (judging Frost and Rafei's words)

Okay, where exactly do you see characters acting self righteous in Boom or Colours & Lost World? I'm seriously asking. Where does this happen?

I still don't get what you mean by internet jokes. Is this a reference to something that's going over my head? I suppose fans sometimes joke about Sonic eating Rings and that's where he puts them all or whatever, but even still, I don't see how it's a problem.

More 4th wall breaks ?? ("Looks like these things were bulit for me !" "You guys are a good supporting cast")

I can understand not liking fourth wall humour. I think it's pretty fitting for Sonic, though. I mean, it's arguably been around since Day 1.

Idle.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Whilst I'm not a fan of BRB's writing style... this post caught my eye.

There is no evidence to support any of this.

The only thing you have a minor point with is Eggman using someone elses robot... but why shouldn't he? It's a war machine, why wouldn't he use it?

If you're going to complain about that, you might as well complain about him using Time Eater or the Chaos Emeralds to power the death egg since they're not his creations either.

This has been the only one so far... how is this a problem?

"Were built for me" is not a 4th wall break, it's a plot device.

"Good supporting cast" It's not a 4th wall break, it's a sign of Sonic being slightly more arrogant in this game than in past titles. This one in particular has been widely documented.

BRB are not writing the TV show.

And Evil Ham is amazing.

Lyric : "You.."

Sonic : *looks clueless, with crickets in background*

Lyric : "You and I have some unfinished business..." *in a threatening tone*

Sonic : "I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure it's a bad thing" *in a casual, careless, matter-of-fact tone*

Isn't this a proof that the build up is being destroyed for the sake of lulz ?

And how can you take Eggman seriously with lines such as "Sonic smeeeells" or "Nice scarf, loser" ?

Your argument about the Time Eater and Chaos Emeralds goes nowhere, since THOSE were plot-devices.

They even say that the robot couldn't be made by Eggman :

Sonic : "You did read the instructions on that thing, right ?"

Eggman : "Yes, YEES ! Only two screws left over this time !"

If he can't even build his own robots, how can you take him seriously anymore ?

"These things were built for me" is a 4th wall break, because he's pointing out a game design.

The "good supporting cast" line, I must say, you're half right : it's not really a 4th wall break. It's only showing how disgustingly selfish, self-absorbed and odious Sonic is in this game/universe.

Evil Ham is nothing special. It's just bland and juvenile. I admit I kinda smiled hearing it the first time, but just a second after, it was already boring.

But hey ! Tastes are tastes.

Okay, guys, I have to step in.  This is getting out of hand.  We are already past flame war territory and it needs to stop now.  Use of albeist slurs aside, this conversation has already been derailed and has become less about the actual topic and more about each other.  I want everyone to stop and get back to the actual topic.  If you have a problem with the way someone expresses an opinion, please use the report button to alert a moderator. Else, please keep all discussions civil and pertaining to the topic at hand.

• Thumbs Up 5

You are just so fixated with the fact that "I'm the bad guy because I disagree with you all", that you can't see anything else but that.

Do you realize there are plenty of well-respected members on this forum who hate the current direction of the series, and even more who dislike Sonic Boom? It has nothing to with opinions alone. People are taking issue with you because of how you are acting, not to mention your questionable logic.

EDIT: Erk. Sorry this all got out of hand. *sigh*

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Isn't this a proof that the build up is being destroyed for the sake of lulz ?

No it says that him and lyric have unfinished business, it say's nothing along the lines of him being boring or sonic being unfunny or anything else you said.

And how can you take Eggman seriously with lines such as "Sonic smeeeells" or "Nice scarf, loser" ?

Since when are we supposed to take Eggman seriously? He's always been a comic book style goofball since the days of the Genesis, heck he's called Eggman for one thing and his master plan is to take over the world by turning animals into robots.

In the official Manga which got released with Sonic 1, most of his plans are comical, one of them he's wearing a giant tree costume and pretty sure in another he tries to turn himself or Sonic into a giant Egg. How is that a serious villain?

The only time he's been 'serious' is in SatAM.

Your argument about the Time Eater and Chaos Emeralds goes nowhere, since THOSE were plot-devices.

Then what is your complaint? Also how does it not go anywhere? You are complaning that Eggman isn't building his own stuff... yet he's always taken other peoples gear to do things.

Regardless as to if it's a plot device or not, Eggman has stolen things from other people to use against Sonic. It doesn't make him any less of a villain because that's part of who he is.

If he can't even build his own robots, how can you take him seriously anymore ?

He does build his own robots, he's using this one because it happens to be there and in working order, why would he not use it?

"These things were built for me" is a 4th wall break, because he's pointing out a game design.

No it's a plot device. This has been evidenced several times that the ancient society have built their world up based on Sonic and co going back in time. Evidence to suggest this can be found in Sticks house through the Sonic mask, the fact that Lyric knows Sonic, the fact that there are statues of Echidnas and hedgehogs in the world...

And the biggest clue?

That Sonic and Tails are painted on the walls of one of the ancient temples.

How is this a 4th wall device when it's quite clear the ancient society come into contact with Sonic and CO and build their society around them?

But he doesn't treat people like garbage. At most, he insults Eggman--if you were using that angle I could maybe give you the benefit of the doubt, but as it is? Your argument comes across as willing misinterpretation of a character because of a vendetta against the writers. It's even worse than fans who willingly misinterpet a character's actions/words because they dislike the character!

Fine, I'll respond to your points, if that's what you really want. I was going to, up until I decided I was "done"...but you know what, that's too easy.

I'm curious, are you saying you don't care about character development as a concept, or do you feel that they won't be able to write this development well? If it's the latter, fair enough. Being skeptical is fine.

I'll actually concede that Sonic's being a bit of a jerk at the beginning of the game, due to his wanting to be a loner, but I'm a sucker for characters who start out wanting to do things on their own but eventually learn friendship's pretty alright after all. Since Boom seems to be an origin story of sorts, it's a valid choice for a character arc.

Yeah, cynical passive-aggressive nerds are the worst!~

As for Knuckles and Amy, I'm currently neutral based on what we know of their portrayal in Boom, so I won't bother arguing about them.

In Sonic Boom's 'verse, especially the game, Eggman is new to this whole evil villain streak. If you don't like it, fine, but there's a logic behind how he's being portrayed.

I disagree. Granted, comedy is subjective, but even if I didn't find that little moment amusing, I don't really see how it destroys the build up.

Okay, where exactly do you see characters acting self righteous in Boom or Colours & Lost World? I'm seriously asking. Where does this happen?

I still don't get what you mean by internet jokes. Is this a reference to something that's going over my head? I suppose fans sometimes joke about Sonic eating Rings and that's where he puts them all or whatever, but even still, I don't see how it's a problem.

I can understand not liking fourth wall humour. I think it's pretty fitting for Sonic, though. I mean, it's arguably been around since Day 1.

Idle.jpg

"He doesn't treat people like garbage"....Watch Lost World again, and point me out a scene where do you think he's being nice to someone. And look at how excited and talkative he is towards his "friends" at the birthday party in Gens, and throughout the game....

Oh, wait. He NEVER says a thing to anyone, and reacts to Amy and Charmy as they are annoying nuisances. 

Character development is what I'm awaiting since Colors, and now that it's supposedly being re-used, it just looks forced.

Hey look ! Self-absorbed despicable aloof Sonic will turn into Self-absorbed despicable incompetent and accondescending jerkass leader/team mate Sonic. What a development ! *sarcasm*

"Eggman is new to this whole evil villain streak. If you don't like it, fine, but there's a logic behind how he's being portrayed." 

Care to explain me this logic ? Because I only see an incompetent one man Team Rocket clown, instead of an effective yet bumbling evil genius, so far.

"I don't really see how it destroys the build up." It does, when we're supposed to be fascinated and intrigued by the new, threatening looking villain, and Sonic is all "Yeah, whatever. I'm so awesome that I don't even have to give a single fuck about you". The same kind of attitude he had towards the D6. Difference is, the D6 were in the main canon (unfortunbately) and were silly looking, then Sonic treating them like nothing is partly justificated. Lyric is supposed to be a brand new evil mastermind, and to be threatening. Treating him like a joke too is destroying the build up.

"Where exactly do you see characters acting self righteous in Boom or Colours & Lost World? I'm seriously asking. Where does this happen?"

I don't know...Maybe, Sonic and Tails all throughout SLoW ? Or Sonic in Boom ? But still, it seems it's just me noticing these things, while you guys are acting clueless.

Internet jokes = memes.

I wouldn't be so against 4th wall breaks, if they weren't CONSTANTLY shoved in my face as to say "Hey look ! It's a videogame, and the characters know it, hence the universe mustn't take itself seriously, because it knows it's a fake ! Isn't that genius ???"

And yes, I know there were always been 4th wall breaks in Sonic, but they were just a handful,  the picture you sent me being the most famous.

Since Colors and on (as usual), 4th wall breaks have become a routine. That's why they aren't funny anymore. They're annoying, they're pointless, and they're showing how lazy and uncomfortable the writers are with their material.

Since when are we supposed to take Eggman seriously? He's always been a comic book style goofball since the days of the Genesis, heck he's called Eggman for one thing and his master plan is to take over the world by turning animals into robots.

In the official Manga which got released with Sonic 1, most of his plans are comical, one of them he's wearing a giant tree costume and pretty sure in another he tries to turn himself or Sonic into a giant Egg. How is that a serious villain?

The only time he's been 'serious' is in SatAM.

Then what is your complaint? Also how does it not go anywhere? You are complaning that Eggman isn't building his own stuff... yet he's always taken other peoples gear to do things.

Regardless as to if it's a plot device or not, Eggman has stolen things from other people to use against Sonic. It doesn't make him any less of a villain because that's part of who he is.

Then what about SA and SA2, when he tried to unleash a water monster-formed God of Destruction, tried to send a missile to destroy Station Square, destroyed half Moon with the Eclipse Cannon, and pointed a gun to Amy's head ???

As for my complain about not being able to build his own robots, stealing something to harness its power is one thing, building your own equipment is another. Can't you understand the difference ? I fhe can't even build his own stuff, he's worthless at this point.

As I said, Eggman was the evil genius, bumbling yet threatening.

Now he's just the evil dumbass, bumbling and that's it.

And at this point, I'm done.

Then what about SA and SA2, when he tried to unleash a water monster-formed God of Destruction, tried to send a missile to destroy Station Square, destroyed half Moon with the Eclipse Cannon, and pointed a gun to Amy's head ???

Why is it ok for Eggman to use Chaos, who he didn't create, but not ok for Big Red Button to write into the game that Eggman finds a random robot to use to attack Sonic?

Also what about those games?Yes he does those things, but it still doesn't remove the fact that for the majority of his existence and in those games he acts like a bit of a goofball in his approach.

Also don't forget, his 'serious' nature is somewhat undermined when you explore the Egg Carrier and discover his private swimming pool along with the various decorations that are in there. His secret password is 'Eggman' and all his chairs are noticable Egg Cup shaped.

And lets not forget 'that dance spin' he does when he first activates Gamma.

You can't take this seriously, he's just a silly character, that just happens to be the villain.

As for my complain about not being able to build his own robots, stealing something to harness its power is one thing, building your own equipment is another. Can't you understand the difference ? I fhe can't even build his own stuff, he's worthless at this point.

Do you understand that you are complaining about a whole one boss fight that you have seen?

Yet this is enough for you to say 'Eggman no longer builds his own stuff.' There is nothing to support this, you've had one boss fight where he uses a perfectly good war machine to attack Sonic, but this is enough to say "He doesn't build his own stuff anymore."

Now he's just the evil dumbass, bumbling and that's it.

But there's nothing here to suggest he's a dumb ass, you keep saying this, but there's nothing to support it since he's always been a exaggeration of a cartoon villain.

This is mainly what I don't understand, pretty much all of your complains are either wrong or centre around the fact that Big Red Button have made Eggman seem silly, yet all we've seen from him in the game so far is the use of the Robot. And even if he is to be a comical silly villain, so what? Sonic Team have written him that way for years because that's who he is.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, um...

"He doesn't treat people like garbage"....Watch Lost World again, and point me out a scene where do you think he's being nice to someone.

Character development is what I'm awaiting since Colors, and now that it's supposedly being re-used, it just looks forced.

Hey look ! Self-absorbed despicable aloof Sonic will turn into Self-absorbed despicable incompetent and accondescending jerkass leader/team mate Sonic. What a development ! *sarcasm*

"Eggman is new to this whole evil villain streak. If you don't like it, fine, but there's a logic behind how he's being portrayed." 

Care to explain me this logic ? Because I only see an incompetent one man Team Rocket clown, instead of an effective yet bumbling evil genius, so far.

"I don't really see how it destroys the build up." It does, when we're supposed to be fascinated and intrigued by the new, threatening looking villain, and Sonic is all "Yeah, whatever. I'm so awesome that I don't even have to give a single fuck about you". The same kind of attitude he had towards the D6. Difference is, the D6 were in the main canon (unfortunbately) and were silly looking, then Sonic treating them like nothing is partly justificated. Lyric is supposed to be a brand new evil mastermind, and to be threatening. Treating him like a joke too is destroying the build up.

1. SLW (the correct abbreviation for the game) had him always talking to Amy and Knuckles in a casual manner, Tails all throughout the story supportively, apologizing for unintentionally doubting Tails, and showing sadness when he loses his friends, even Eggman. All of these actions fall under being nice.

The only time he isn't nice is when he's talking to the villains. Y'know, the enemy? It's not wrong to be aggressive towards people verbally if you're doing the same thing physically, especially if they plan on hurting people you care about.

2. How can you even tell where his character development will go in Boom? Have you seen footage that we haven't?

3. Eggman didn't start out as a genius. He started out as a clown. You can become a genius, but unless you're the joker, you can hardly ever become a clown as a result from being bad. This is his rise to become a competent evil genius, as he'll be partnering up with Lyric, a seasoned baddie, and be taking notes from him. That's his story, and it's perfectly logical.

4. Lyric isn't even identified as a threat at that point. He just comes out of cryosleep, and says that he has unfinished business with Sonic. The threat part isn't even justified at this point, the surprise is.

5. Just because he mentions building it from instructions, doesn't mean he didn't create it himself. Ever heard of a thing called blueprints?

Just as nearly everyone before me has stated, it's far too early to pass any sort of judgement on the BRB writers. We have only a few bits of dialogue to go off on, and to me it seems relatively mixed. However, if I'm to make an opinion based on the few lines we've been given, I must say that I find the in-game dialogue to be pretty bad so far. From "Rings! Omnomnomnom!" to "Sonic smells!".....the dialogue is coming off a bit too "dude-bro" to my liking. It seems like Pontac and Graff all over again.

There was one cutscene I liked:

I really like how Sonic is teasing Knuckles. It sort of makes them look like the friendly rivals they used to be. I only wish they would tone Knuckles' irritation down, just a bit, to make his threat to knock Sonic out a bit friendlier. Other than that, I think this cutscene is pretty good.

But then there was this scene:

Knuckles came off as pretty arrogant and a bit "nitpicky". I would have expected that response from him if Sonic and Amy were trying to boss him around, but Amy simply made a plan, which came off as more of a suggestion. Knuckles could have simply gone along with the plan, instead of being dramatic about it. Or he could have disagreed in a more mature manner...he IS the eldest in the group.

So in one cutscene Knuckles is portrayed pretty well, but in the next cutscene he comes off portrayed not so well. So far, it's a bit worrisome, but I'll wait until I see the entire story.
  • Thumbs Up 1