Awoo.

What story could be used for Sony's Sonic the hedgehog movie?

speedhog58

To those of you who don't know, Sony has recently confirmed that they are working on a cgi/live action hybrid Sonic movie.

But what storyline could they use for this upcoming movie? It's said that it will be "dark and edgy" so this COULD hint to a film adaptation of the adventure series which makes sense since the films will be a annual release, will they base the film on the genesis games and explore Sonic's origin, or will they try a completely original story? 

What stories would you like to see in film? Here are my top 5!

5. Sonic 1 and 2 (one movie)

4. Sonic 06 (If altered and improved, could make a great movie)

3. Sonic unleashed

2. Sonic Adventure

1. Sonic Adventure 2 (sequel)

Sonic and friends awaken in the real world, with no idea how they got there. At first it seems like another Eggman plan gone wrong, but weird things begin to happen. Objects appear and disappear with no rhyme or reason. Creepy people seem too happy and wish to keep them from finding out the truth...And Sonic's friends seem to be disappearing one by one...

And then it turns out its a deranged fan who got a hold of the Chaos Emeralds when they went through some spacetime bullshit in the Special Zones and that fan is now trying to force Sonic into his personal version of what the Sonic Universe should be. Eggman and Sonic end up teaming up to beat the crap out of him, but Eggman betrays him at the last moment to strand him and his friends in the real world while he heads back to their world to conquer it. Sonic beats him up and he and his friends go back home, while Eggman is stranded for the sequel.

PLZ don't take this seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic is hurled into our world, at first he has no idea whats going on, begins to work things out while being chased down by those labeling him as some kind of alien/threat.

Manages to find a safe haven, slowly works towards re-grouping with his friends and once united work to take down Dr. Eggman, all the while collecting the Chaos Emeralds which provide the key to returning home

.... sounds kinda familiar ...

Sonic is hurled into our world, at first he has no idea whats going on, begins to work things out while being chased down by those labeling him as some kind of alien/threat.

Manages to find a safe haven, slowly works towards re-grouping with his friends and once united work to take down Dr. Eggman, all the while collecting the Chaos Emeralds which provide the key to returning home

.... sounds kinda familiar ...

Oh gee, haven't heard that before.

Hm... Sonic Unleashed could be a really epic movie... a bit on the long side though.

However, I have a feeling it will either be it's own entirely separate thing like the OVA was, or maybe, and probably, be based on Boom somehow

...The "dark and edgy" thing was a hoax, as I recall it.  Though it's ironic that one other aspect of that hoax, that the film would be a live-action / CGI hybrid, was actually accurate; two separate hoaxes about the Sonic movie suggested that that would be the case, not because it was a good idea but because it was an awful one.

Any proposed story for the Sonic movie has to take into account the live-action elements.  Eh... Eggman's experiments with the Chaos Emeralds lead him to open a portal to this world.  With the power of surprise and the Chaos Emeralds, he plans to secretly invade Earth and take over the world with his army of robots.  Sonic & co. somehow stumble upon his plans, get into various action-themed scrapes in the real world, run through jungles and hide in cities, come nose-to-nose with real hedgehogs, actual humans are all secondary characters but would involve various innocent bystanders and military chiefs and whatnot.

Wait, darn, it's meant to be a movie series, isn't it.  That means that Sonic and pals on Earth has to be the status quo, not an unusual circumstance.  Eh... okay, the Adventure-era world but with humans and live-action standing in for realistic graphics.  Anthro species and humans mostly live apart but aren't hostile, with Eggman the only one going around stirring up trouble between them.  That's probably the best-case scenario.  Wait heck that means Eggman has to be live-action, and there's no best-case scenario in which that's true.  Huh.  This is tough.

Take the plot of Sonic X, but change the setting from Station Square to New York. Another Sony live-action/CGI classic.

They could make it a parody of 06 that take the piss out of it??

The only ones that vaguely come to mind are the adventures or Unleashed, Unleashed would be better but without the pixaresque humans it would loose a lot of charm

I really would want it focus on Sonic's backstory. We should see what exactly made Sonic become the carefree, optimistic guy he is. There could be a lot of depth to it, like him going through a tragedy that made him resolve to always stay positive. 

Adventure 1 would honestly be the best. Has real humans but they're not that important.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the movie ends up being based on a game, I'd expect it's one of the earlier ones, before the series got bloated with characters, and before the game itself could fully tell the story they wanted to tell. S3&K would probably be the best choice, as it's got the most fleshed-out story to start with. They'd need to explain where the Death Egg came from...maybe they could use S2 Death Egg to credits as an action-packed opening.

I really would want it focus on Sonic's backstory. We should see what exactly made Sonic become the carefree, optimistic guy he is. There could be a lot of depth to it, like him going through a tragedy that made him resolve to always stay positive.

This is exactly what I don't want...

In a world where video game adaptations are a thing again for some reason, one Sony CEO dares to swim in his vault of cash while legions of sane adults and small children call for his blood

wait no that's the plot of real life

This is exactly what I don't want...

It would give a new insight into what makes Sonic who he is. It wouldn't be anything extremely dramatic like with Shadow or Sonic 2006. It should be like tragedy in a Disney movie. 

I don't want a Disney movie tragedy to motivate Sonic. Some kind of "he's actually running from his tragic past!" twist would be a dark cloud hanging over every scene he's in, past and future.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't want a Disney movie tragedy to motivate Sonic. Some kind of "he's actually running from his tragic past!" twist would be a dark cloud hanging over every scene he's in, past and future.

Why should one putting tragedy behind them by embracing the finer things in life be seen as "running away from the past"? 

Since someone mentioned backstory, are you guys familiar with the Sonic Bible? That's something I'd like to see instead of it being based off of a game or comic.

Sonic one day notices that all of the citizens of South Island are missing. Scouting around he is attacked by badniks, and manages to rescue a small fox boy named Miles Prower, who has two tails that he can rotate like helicopter blades to fly. "Tails" as he is nicknamed, explains to Sonic that the once-sane Doctor Robotnik has taken over the city on the Island, now referred to as "Scrap Brain". Travelling to the city (and finding a few odd gems along the way) Sonic and Tails discover the Doctor's most ambitious project, the brand-new "Death Egg", a massive battleship to travel into space and "roboticize" the entire world at once. Sonic and Tails manage to bring this thing down before it reaches space, and it lands on Angel Island, a mysterious isle that has never been seen on the map. Sonic and Tails find a seventh Chaos emerald, but it it quickly snagged by a red echidna (can I just say that google does not recognize "echidna" as a word). This guy gives the two of them tons of shit with his traps. Finally escaping a lava cavern, our heroes witness a large emerald being taken from this echidna. After being shocked by Robotnik's lasers, this red echidna (who Robotnik earlier in the film nicknamed "Knuckles") explains that his island was struck by something earlier that day, knocking it to the ocean. The emerald normally keeps it afloat. He finally realizes that Sonic and Tails are not in fact evil emerald-thieves, and helps them to chase down Robotnik. Finally, the Death Egg, revived with the power of the Master Emerald, is in space, and the three confront the Doctor. Knowing that he won't be able to defeat Sonic on his own, Robotnik pulls the self-destruct switch for the thing and escapes into space. Knuckles gives the seventh chaos emerald to Sonic, telling him that those with a true heart can utilize it, and doomsday zone blah blah you know the story, Master Emerald restores Angel Island, everyone thanks Sonic, etc. Then we get a flash of Metal Sonic's eyes in the darkness as a teaser for the second movie.

It would give a new insight into what makes Sonic who he is. It wouldn't be anything extremely dramatic like with Shadow or Sonic 2006. It should be like tragedy in a Disney movie. 

Why should one putting tragedy behind them by embracing the finer things in life be seen as "running away from the past"? 

Game Sonic's past is a 23 year old mystery and something that at least half of the fans have thought about on their own already. Everyone will have different expectations and ideas, and most oft them will be much more elaborate and fitting than whatever I trust a random Hollywood-writer to be able to whip up on short notice.

Metroid is a good example of imposing a backstory on a character way too late into the series. And even though it was much better than what I expect the movie writers to come up with, it didn't sit too well.

After such a long time, it's something that absolutely has to stay ambiguous.

Game Sonic's past is a 23 year old mystery and something that at least half of the fans have thought about on their own already. Everyone will have different expectations and ideas, and most oft them will be much more elaborate and fitting than whatever I trust a random Hollywood-writer to be able to whip up on short notice.

Metroid is a good example of imposing a backstory on a character way too late into the series. And even though it was much better than what I expect the movie writers to come up with, it didn't sit too well.

After such a long time, it's something that absolutely has to stay ambiguous.

The backstory wouldn't be for the games. It'd be just for the movie. Sonic's backstory should definitely stay ambiguous in the games.

True, but after so many years it will be hard to establish something new without stepping on people's toes.

Boom somewhat circumvents this by creating a seperate character design and universe for Sonic and friends, but the guy we'll see in Sony's movie will (supposedly) be Game Sonic - not Archie, Fleetway or the guy from Underground - and he's a character with a very atypical attitude compared to other "heroes". Sonic the Movie and Sonic X manage to catch that, and while they're not exactly like the games, they both have a setting in which the games' events might or might not have happened.

If they decide on giving Sonic a backstory of some sorts, it should (if at all!) only be there to make a point of how he's not affected by all that baggage, because he's fine with being just himself. Some kind of positive reinforcement, living in the present, stuff like that.

I know fanfiction tends to do a decent job at giving the characters proper back stories, but not everything is appropriate for a production that has to tie into such a widely known canon. I just hope these guys know what they're doing.

Boom somewhat circumvents this by creating a seperate character design and universe for Sonic and friends, but the guy we'll see in Sony's movie will (supposedly) be Game Sonic - not Archie, Fleetway or the guy from Underground - and he's a character with a very atypical attitude compared to other "heroes". Sonic the Movie and Sonic X manage to catch that, and while they're not exactly like the games, they both have a setting in which the games' events might or might not have happened.

We should get a new Universe for the Movie then.

I assume the movie will be about a non-specific Sonic, one most closely resembling the game universe Sonic but without any actual continuity tying it specifically to the game universe.  "Generic Sonic," if you will, something that won't confuse the casual consumer.  Which is more or less what the game universe Sonic has been trying to be lately, of course, whereas Boom and Archie are all attempting something a little more context-specific.

Actually, I think it would be the most logical for the movie to follow in Sonic Boom's universe. There's already going to be a TV show and game that are getting a lot of promotion. Movies are very often based on TV shows (and viceversa): 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_television_programs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_programs_based_on_films

i´m seeing for this movie something like an original story, or an adventure 1 / 2 adaptation, i tought on a unleashed adaptation, it would be amazing, and would fit perfectly to the purpose of a "darker and edgier" movie, but not too darker, unleashed have a very cool story, the right balance type of story. at least in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind a loose adaptation of Sonic 1 and 2 what is apparently a completely original story. Imagine something like this: Sonic finds a young fox in a crashed airplane. The fox doesn't remember his name, so Sonic calls him "Tails". Sonic helps Tails get back to his home in Station Square while fighting the Egg Empire.