Awoo.

The Powerpuff Girls Topic (Current News: New PPG Show, Coming 2016)

The drunkard from space!

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/the-powerpuff-girls-to-return-with-new-series-in-2016-1201221202/

“The Powerpuff Girls” will return to Cartoon Network in 2016, the cabler announced Monday. The reboot will include a new television series and a full licensing program that will roll out across all regions. The show premiered in 1998 and was created by Craig McCracken.

“The original ‘Powerpuff Girls’ was a franchise phenomenon for Cartoon Network, paving the way for a new generation of innovative storytellers and enthusiastic fans worldwide,” said Rob Sorcher, chief content officer, Cartoon Network. “We are calling these girls back into action based upon an overwhelming demand for sugar, spice and Chemical X.”

The series earned two Emmy awards during its 78-episode run, and spawned a 2003 feature film, a 10th anniversary special, and a re-imagined CG special, “The Powerpuff Girls: Dance Pantsed,” which aired on Cartoon Network in January and featured the voice of Ringo Starr.

“As the original ambassador of girl power, ‘The Powerpuff Girls’ brand continues to resonate with people of all ages and there is tremendous excitement around introducing Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup to a new generation,” said Pete Yoder, vice president of consumer products for North America, Cartoon Network Enterprises.

“With proven success and great content plans in place, there’s so much potential that we’re looking forward to explore with our licensing partners in the coming weeks.”

Honestly i don't know how to feel about this, i mean it's great that CN hasn't forgotten about their older shows but at the same time i don't it will be as good unless Crag McCracken, Lauren Faust and Genndy Tartakofsky are behind it.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to here more about it.

Though I do have my skepticism regarding how cartoon network is these days and I do sometimes worry about reboots or revamps.

As a fan of the original series, I'll certainly give it a chance. I'll at least watch the first few episodes to see how they hold up. 

Previous topic about the new PPG tv show done by Sanic Bum has been merged with this one. If anyone wonders why he posted it just below goku's post and a few responses, that's why. [/amateurmoddingnight]

Also, the art style was the least of that special's problems. The real problem was it lacking any of the charm of the original. Pretty much just a cash in on the "90s kid" schlock and not actually a successor to an awesome show. Booooo.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well I liked the speical, including the artstyle, it didnt seem that much of a departure from the charm of the original sooooooooooo

yeah guess ill keep an eye out :^

Somehow I'm not surprised that it's making a return. I just hoping they have a better visual than the one used on the recent special. Considering the charm of the original, they're going to have a big task of trying to have the same appeal with the new series. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Unless Craig McCracken returns (which I doubt he will because he's working on Wander Over Yonder), I doubt it will be as good as the original. Feel it's going to be a nostalgia cash-in without the charm of the original like Solkia said.

Also I can't see how a new PPG show is going to work with the current group of CN executives (despite Snyder's departure). They treat action shows as cancer and view the cartoon as a predominatly boys channel. And god help the reboot if despite tons of toys/merch produced for it, it garnered a large female audience...

I actually thought the animation in the PPG special wasn't TOO bad. I mean, it was certainly an interesting style and it kinda worked. What bothered me most was how OOC everyone was and how it had none of the charm from the original series I used to love. I expect this new series to be very similar to that special, so I'm definitely giving it a pass. >>

I thought the actual art style in the return special of PPG was charming... but in motion, it was kind of sickening.  That being said, yeah, I'd tolerate the animation a lot more if not for the fact that the actual special was just incoherent, far too fast paced, and not really funny.  I don't recall laughing at a single moment of the special, even ironically.

So suffice it to say, if this is anything like that special, I'll probably be avoiding this.  I'll give it a chance, though.  I'd feel bad otherwise.

I really didn't like the CG animation. It was jerky and didn't mesh well with the style. The original flat shapes of the girls were fine. Though I don't understand what is with this trend of remaking old cartoons into CGI. (At least keep the original art style like Courage is doing.)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Bumpity bump. First key image from the new show unveiled. Could be a pleasant surprise for some...

PPG_KEY_ART_PR_2016%5B1%5D.jpg

But probably some sad news: the old cast isn't coming back outside of Tom Kenny.

The revamped series will focus on the original trio of crime-fighting school girls as they save the world from a slew of villains before bedtime, though it's unclear whether the girls will be battling familiar baddies like Mojo Jojo and HIM, or all-new foes. Amanda Leighton, Kristen Li and Natalie Palamides will voice Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup, respectively, while Tom Kenny will return to reprise his role as Narrator/Mayor.

Emmy-winner Nick Jennings (Adventure Time) is executive producing alongside Bob Boyle (Wow! Wow! Wubzy!) as co-exec producer.

"It has been wonderful to see this new show team bring such passion and positive creative spirit to this iconic property," said Chief Content Officer Rob Sorcher. "We know that fans of every age will appreciate this new take on saving the world before bedtime."

You know, I'm not too bothered about the recasting...but it does bother me that, according to the VAs, they were never contacted or anything? Like, it's fair enough if the creators wanted to get new voices for whatever reason, but did they not at least consider bringing in Cavadini, Strong, and Daily to give them a chance?

I actually haven't watched the original series yet, it's been on my "oh that looks neat I should watch it" list for basically a decade now. I missed out on a lot of popular 90s/early-00s cartoons since we only had one channel when I was a kid. ._. I'll probably get around to it before the new show starts airing, that way I can better compare the two and understand fan reactions to the reboot, plus well...I want to watch it anyway.

I... actually would've preferred they go with the Special's style. That image just feels like steryle flash animation to me. No line variation, the lines are too thin, etc.

I'm personally happy they didn't go with the style used in the special. I thought it was ugly as hell.

I'm withholding full judgment until we see it in motion, but based on that image alone I like the designs a lot.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the character designs, more faithful to the originals but I like style they went for in the recent special as well. But yeah, if you follow the original cast on Twitter, they seem pretty bummed about being recasted and not being contacted at all about coming back. But hey, at least Tom Kenny's coming back but... I'm sure it won't do much. I mean, replacing the one and only Tara Strong as the role of Bubbles? That's blasphemy.

I just hope it's better than that godawful tenth anniversary special we got years back, that thing didn't make a lick of sense and the flash animation was atrocious (on parr with that new insipid Tom & Jerry show).

Too bad the replaced the VAs, but I'm curious to hear these new ones.

Also very happy it doesn't look like that ugly special.

The original voices sans Tom Kenny aren't returning? You know part of me is royally pissed off, but at the same time I'm willing to give the new cast a chance.

The original voices sans Tom Kenny aren't returning? You know part of me is royally pissed off, but at the same time I'm willing to give the new cast a chance.

According to Wikipedia Jennifer Hale is returning as Ms. Keaney, but not Princess. Sounds like the kids are just being recast.

the special may have been ugly but at least it was attempting to do anything interesting

this looks like a 2002 corporate-made flash game

I liked the previous art style, but only in screenshots. In motion it was hella ugly so I'm relieved they went back to the flat and simple style from the original series. I only need to see this in motion first now!

Also I'm really sad to hear that most of the original cast is not returning, especially the girls themselves! What am I gonna do without Tara Strong's Bubbles? DX

Great to see the show back but it really blows that the original actors aren't returning.

Also, is it me or does the show gonna look like a poorly made flash show? I dunno something feels wrong...