Awoo.

Will Sonic's reputation ever be adequately restored?

Kenny_Glover

As we all should know, Sonic has taken major blows due to the onslaught of poorly received games we have been receiving for years, particularly Sonic 2006. Things got better in 2010 with Sonic Colors and continued to improve with 2011's Sonic Generations, but have got worse again with 2013's Sonic Lost World. The games' decline in quality has also been a huge factor in creating the notorious fanbase Sonic is known for. All the arguments, terrible fanfiction, fanboys, furries and Autistic people (not that there's anything wrong with furries or Autistic people. But they turn others off). 

I really think for Sonic's reputation to be adequately restored, there must be a major onslaught of well received games. There have been too many bad games for people to let anything below satisfactory slide.

• Chuckle 1

It's already restored.

/thread/

It's not. Due to all the bad games we've been getting and the resulting chaotic fanbase, Sonic's become a laughing stock. We've gotten a few good games in recent years, but it's not enough to get the bad taste left in most people's mouths out.

ssb_wii_u_classic_four_4204.jpg

Since gamers are excited to have four videogame icons all in the same game, and Sonic is one of these four, I don't think his reputation is questioned.

To elaborate:

-Gamers are happy to have Mario, Sonic, MegaMan and PacMan in the same game

therefore

-Gamers consider Sonic as famous and iconic as Mario, MegaMan and PacMan

therefore

-Sonic's reputation as a videogame mascot and icon is not questioned

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't know.  If they were to have just one really good game, possibly following a ten-year hiatus, then that might do the trick.

• Thumbs Up 1

They'd need to pull off a few Generations level games in a row for that to happen. Maybe even more, since Lost World and Boom seem to be making Sonic's reputation even worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something tells me that regardless of how many good games the series makes, it'll never reach the same amount of popularity it had in the 90's.

It's not even JUST if the next game will be good or not, we have to wonder how the next game will play. We never know what kind of formula they will use.

First step will be solidifying a working formula that actually sticks around for more than three games.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't get which reputation this topic is talking about.

The reputation of Sonic as a character an icon, or the reputation of Modern Sonic Games?

I don't get which reputation this topic is talking about.

The reputation of Sonic as a character an icon, or the reputation of Modern Sonic Games?

Sonic in general.

Really? I doubt it.

I mean, sonic is the industry go-to punching bag, he has had a slew of games that have been average at best and terrible at worst. Even if he has consistently good games for 5 or 10 years he will still be the industry punching bag with reviews even for Generations starting with the classic "Sonic has fallen on hard times" or something similar.

If he has a period of great games then he may not be as seen as a failure anymore, but his reputation will always be tarnished. No other mascot has had a fall as great as Sonic. Not only has he fell, but he is now like clawing his way along aswell with nerumerous games that don't really know what they are doing, no matter how fun so a of these games may be.

The only way he may be possibly redeemed is if another ico falls as hard if not harder, the only icon I can think of that is that big is Mario , but I doubt he will fall like Sonic. Megaman is out of the picture as he hasn't really been seen in ages.

They've had a decade to do that and never did.

So no, in between the current gaming demographic and the laughing stock Sonic still is, his bad reputation isn't going anywhere soon.

EDIT: And before you pull the "Colors and Generations were found good" argument, keep in mind that we're still in a state that we can't trust a Sonic game to be good off the bat. Nothing has changed.

• Thumbs Up 1

So no, in between the current gaming demographic and the laughing stock Sonic still is, his bad reputation isn't going anywhere soon.

EDIT: And before you pull the "Colors and Generations were found good" argument, keep in mind that we're still in a state that we can't trust a Sonic game to be good off the bat. Nothing has changed.

How about if we were given a decade of amazingly received games starting in 2015 (when Sonic Team's next game will probably come out)?

It's not. Due to all the bad games we've been getting and the resulting chaotic fanbase, Sonic's become a laughing stock. We've gotten a few good games in recent years, but it's not enough to get the bad taste left in most people's mouths out.

Look, Sonic's reputation will never truly be repaired because even when it does put out good games, it's always met with the same exact "This might actually be a good Sonic game" response by pretty much everyone. This is probably the best we can expect unless the gaming media gets their head out of their asses, which is unlikely due to, like Solkia said, the gaming demographic has  simply changed and Sonic doesn't appeal to it. Sonic is an icon, and no matter how much crap he gets from everyone, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Especially since he's set to appear in Smash later this year.

• Thumbs Up 3

Depends on who we're talking about.

With the older crowd, Sonic needs to continously have games at the quality level of Generations and not do things like a Live-Action/CGI movie.

They could win a lot of younger people over with Sonic Boom and the movie, I think. Despite what people say on the internet, kids seem to love things like the Alvin and the Chipmunks and Smurf movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

No matter how many good, critically acclaimed titles they release, Sonic will always be remembered for his period of dark games and slow transition to 3D. It's just a stigma that he's always gonna have at this point honestly. He just needs some really great games to make people scoff and think "how was he that bad?"

• Thumbs Up 4

This. "Good" games won't mean much in the grand scheme of things because for every "good" game like Colors and Generations, they are a few "not (so) good" games like Unleashed, Sonic 4, Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Lost World to negate whatever positive rep they bring.

Sonic will need a steady string of "great" games in order to fully re-gain his reputation back, which I don't think the current Sonic Team is capable of doing.

It's not even JUST if the next game will be good or not, we have to wonder how the next game will play. We never know what kind of formula they will use.

First step will be solidifying a working formula that actually sticks around for more than three games.

Revisiting the tried-and-true gameplay styles that worked in the past and giving them some modern-day polish (with the help of promising game concepts the old guard screwed up the first time around) wouldn't also hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about if we were given a decade of amazingly received games starting in 2015 (when Sonic Team's next game will probably come out)?

Sure that could probably fix it or at least turn him into something people look forward to again, but does anyone really believe that'll happen?

Sorry if I may sound whining, but are we talking about our perception of Sonic, or what do we think is the general perception of Sonic?

Yea, I'm kind of inclined to agree with that sentiment; the only people who really care about the quality of Sonic game are Sonic fans themselves, the majority of gamers have just moved onto bigger and better things.

• Thumbs Up 1