Awoo.

~Ride on the Magical School Bus~

Kuzu

-0bdc44e0-7d86-477f-8ce7-0d5d6e829ae7.jp

Ahh yes, the Magic School Bus. A large part of all of our childhoods, it's probably where most of us learned about the environment, and we all wanted a teacher like the Friz. But let's be real here, we all remember it for that bitchin opening of the animated series by Lil Richard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v53mhRXXT2g

Let us all talk about the magic of..The Magic School Bus. Oh right, and a reboot is coming soon in computer generation by Netflix.

Netflix has resurrected popular '90s children's series The Magic School Bus for its latest push into original kids programming. The streaming service will release 26 episodes of the reimagined show, now called The Magic School Bus 360, beginning in 2016. Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer, told The New York Times that the original series ranks as one of the most popular educational programs in his company's catalog — despite the fact that new episodes were last produced in 1997. "It teaches science in a way that transcends generations." Sarandos said. Magic School Bus debuted on PBS 20 years ago and urged young viewers to expand their science knowledge. Just like the groundbreaking original, this one's being produced entirely by Scholastic Media.

A much different generation awaits the reboot, and Scholastic has modernized The Magic School Bus 360 accordingly. That all starts with the animation, which will now be computer generated. The bus will be different and fitted with upgraded technology, and the students will gain access to "the latest tech innovations such as robotics, wearables and camera technology." Sarandos said he hopes it will be the first of many future collaborations between Netflix and Scholastic. Netflix is already working on numerous kids shows with DreamWorks Animation that will eventually join Turbo Fast, the series that debuted last December. Those new programs will be based around popular franchises like Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon.

• Thumbs Up 7

I was actually just thinking of making this thread the other day. I love The Magic School Bus. I'm half-considering getting that series boxset for nostalgia purposes, it'd be fun to watch with friends.

Loved this show. It was awesome that my high school science class showed this, despite us not being the target audience, it is timeless like that, you're never too old to learn something! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I still remember the episode where Arnold took off his helmet while they were still on Pluto.

In retrospect I'm not sure the outcome that followed would've really happened.

• Thumbs Up 6

I remember seeing some episodes back in my youth. I didn't watch it a lot but I was always entertained (and educated) nonetheless.

It's also pretty damn amazing the longevity the original show had in terms of syndication. The show started it's original run in 1994 and finished it in 1997, but has since been airing on a variety of networks around the world. I believe it was only recently (2012) that the show was actually taken out of syndication, presumably to make way for the new series.

• Thumbs Up 1

A large part of all of our childhoods

Actually, I've never seen this show.

My magical bus show was Playdays, and that's aimed for a much younger audience.

I still remember the episode where Arnold took off his helmet while they were still on Pluto.

I actually still have that episode on VHS! biggrin.png But yeah I actually never watched this show in school aside from maybe one or two episodes during a free day when our teacher just asked the class what we wanted to see. And there was one close time in Biology class this year where our teacher was considering showing us an episode. It didn't happen. 

But aside that, I actually had a few episodes on VHS that I watched and liked. The space episode is the one I remember the most as it was my most watched one as well as one of the first episodes I saw. And I also had a point and click game on the PC that was based off the show that focused on the marine world. 

I do have some very fond memories with the series. I actually heard about Netflix bringing back the show but I just saw a tweet about it, with no source. So I assumed it was fake. Now that it's confirmed, I'm intrigued. The only thing I'm not too hot on is it being CGI. I don't know how they'll get the character designs down in 3D. I'll still probably end up watching at least one episode just to see if it captures the spirit of the original show with it's writing. I may not have Netflix, but it should be up online somewhere else by the time it's out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only saw a few episodes and I though it was okay, don´t remember them now.

My friend was nuts about it. He loved the theme song, and I have to agree with that, it was so catchy xd

I liked watching the Magic Schoolbus whenever it was on tv in Holland! It was educational, it was fun and the theme song was great and always stuck out in my mind!

There was another cartoon at the time which was quite similar in its educational tone called Why Why Family (anyone remember that?). That's two educational shows I grew up with back then! Oh and Amazing Animals, I suppose.

I used to watch this all the time as a kid, but I also remember the books and especially the PC games. Well, I guess they weren't really "games", they were education software in the same style of Putt-Putt or Reader Rabbit. But still, I used to spend hours at a time with the dinosaur and space ones. Good memories :3

Come to think of it, I still have a whoooooole lot of Magic School Bus VHS tapes in the basement.

I loved The Magic Schoolbus growing up! It had a catchy into, and it was both fun and educational. I've been watching the series on Netflix as of late which brought back a lot of memories, and some of these episodes I haven't seen in years. The one I remember the most was when they went into space.

*nostalgify*

Loved this show growing up.  I kind of related to Arnold, though, not being the adventurous type myself.  I always wanted to see an episode where they actually did go on a normal field trip and everything went exactly as planned.

But yeah, that opening is groovy as heck. B]

Has anyone seen this? It's a fan-made parody trailer for a hypothetical "dark and gritty" Magic School Bus film, where all the kids have grown up and must reunite to rescue the now-deceased Ms. Frizzle's soul from the depths of hell. It's... surprisingly well-done and enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I saw that a while back when it came out. I thought it was actually pretty okay considering how overdone that concept is. It had a few really funny moments.

In retrospect I'm not sure the outcome that followed would've really happened.

It's funny because that was actually the first episode. It's the one I remember most aside from the really neat one Carlos-focused episode with the scary mansion and music and stuff. Not to mention the ones where they went inside people. And the ocean episodes. And the spider one. And--wow, I remember more of this show than I thought.

So there's gonna be a reboot on Netflix? Interesting...hopefully it'll be a fun ride. Get it, because...magic bus, and you ride in it and...

Has anyone seen this? It's a fan-made parody trailer for a hypothetical "dark and gritty" Magic School Bus film, where all the kids have grown up and must reunite to rescue the now-deceased Ms. Frizzle's soul from the depths of hell. It's... surprisingly well-done and enjoyable.

It's probably a bad sign that I would legit love to watch this movie if it was a real thing.