Awoo.

I can't be bothered to care about Sonic anymore.

Cortez

We may get what people consider a "main" Sonic game every two years, but it's not as if the spin-offs listed there sans Boom are being done by some other developer entirely. Sonic Team is responsible for all of those games, one after the other. And while there's probably an A-team and a B-Team, I highly doubt that there's a lack of employee crossover, crunch time, and subsequent burnout. Potential problem number one? Sonic Team is tired.

• Thumbs Up 6

Where does Sonic 4 Episode 2 fit?

That game was developed by Dimps, with some "supervision" from Sonic Team.

Boom was probably the best thing to happen then because now they finally outsourced to a secondary developer instead of taking on all of this shit themselves. Maybe this means they'll actually refine their next game this time and it'll actually be great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Boom was probably the best thing to happen then because now they finally outsourced to a secondary developer instead of taking on all of this shit themselves. Maybe this means they'll actually refine their next game this time and it'll actually be great.

This is what I've been hoping for, especially IF Sonic Lost World was developed by a smaller team and rushed (it looks rushed) giving them a lot of extra dev time. Generations to 2015 is like fourish years or so (more if they started a bit earlier).

But, my fear is how much damage to his reputation would be done by then. It was already pretty fragile.

My love of Sonic waxes and wanes much like all my other interests, and I don't feel like I'm going to be leaving the fandom any time soon. I had the good fortune to not be around to witness some of Sonic's darker moments firsthand, not to mention I didn't become a fan until 2006 (and no, it had nothing to do with that game), so I'm not suffering from the burnout/disillusionment that a lot of you guys seem to have. If I ever drop out of the fandom, it will probably be when Sega calls it quits and ends the series.

It sucks that a lot of you guys have lost interest in Sonic but that's alright.

I'm also one of those people that still loving the series, I played a good majority of his games and liked a good chunk of them.

The only thing that's bugging me is the upcoming Sonic movie but I have hopes that it will be good since I believe Sonic does pretty well in other media like comics or shows.

At the end, I still love Sonic as much as I did before and will never loose that passion. 

• Thumbs Up 5

While I still enjoy Sonic, I admit I'm becoming a tad more apathetic towards it. I likely would have kicked up far more of a storm concerning Boom a few years back, and while I still scoop up the new titles, I don't find myself urged to play them all that much, or even the classics anymore. My DA gallery was primarily based on Sonic near entirely, now I rarely ever draw anything from it.

It's a shame that people are starting to grow out of Sonic but I guess that happens really, sometimes it's not even the quality, some people just grow out of things, same way I've seen long term fans growing out of pokemon to later switch to stuff like assassin's creed and etc, happens in all fandoms I supose.

We all know the bad direction in which things are going but unlike you guys I'm not sure sure if it's Sonic Team that's crap or if they're just tired. Yeah, because like you guys pointed out we almost always receive a new Sonic game every year from Sonic Team and that's quite a tight schedule so I'm not surprised that the games aren't that polished, 1 year is not a lot and we know that most franchises take a break of more than 1 year or so they have time to do a decent solid game. So yeah I think the problem is how Sonic Team has been overworked and how they must be tired since 1 year for a game seems like they have to rush everything. If only they could take the example from nintendo and such and have other teams to work on other franchises then maybe Sonic Team could have a break once in a while and Sega could still cash in money. (I know they have other franchises but they don't nearly get as much exposure as Sonic does, except maybe Bayonetta). They should totally bring Chuchu Rocket as a party game, though maybe that's just me.

Now I still consider myself a big Sonic fan, I'm not exactly the most active person in the fandom but I still lurk here and there making fan art and etc. What I've had happen to me was dropping interest in Sonic for some time and then coming back and so forth, this has basicaly happened to me with every other franchise, zelda, kirby, pokemon, kingdom hearts, you name it, I just get more into those things when a new game is released or when I decide it's a good day to play some of their previous games, Sonic though has a special place here for me and while  the lastest games aren't that good, I still give them a shot, I can't play most of them but I'll check them all out for sure. For some reason this franchise keeps pulling me in especially since Unleashed, I thought I had dropped Sonic but I came back because of unleashed, Colours wasn't great but I absolutely loved Generations and so it goes. As long as the franchise is alive I'll stick with it, that's for sure.

Now I just really hope things will start looking better somtime in the future, even if they have to replace people in Sonic Team, at least replace it with competent people, because it seriously hurts to see a franchise with so much untapped potential to be handled like a mediocre thing that sells with kids. This franchise really deserves more than that and has the potential for it as well.

Eh... I really can't sympathize all that much. I still love this franchise a lot and I'm still able to enjoy the newest things that have been releasing and happening. Ever since I jumped back into the franchise in 2010, I haven't been feeling like the Sonic franchise is going downhill, or I'm losing interest or anything. I will say that not everything in the franchise is to my liking in its current state, but the things I like far outweigh the things I'm not liking so much.

SonicampChip.jpg

I'm surprised at how much I love Sonic Unleashed HD. 

I been loving the recent games, even with them having some faults here and there. I pretty much love Sonic Colors and barely have any complaints about it. I feel that Sonic Generations is the best 3D Sonic game ever, but I did feel that the story was lacking quite a bit, but I guess the character interactions is enough to let me not feel so upset about the story not being so big as Sonic Unleashed story. I love Sonic Lost World story (it's literally one of my favorite 3D Sonic story ever), but I really don't go back to play the game much since I just don't find the levels to be all that enjoyable like levels from past Sonic games (but, this doesn't mean that I hate Lost World because I really do like the game). I'm actually surprised to say that originally I didn't care for Sonic Unleashed much, but after being here for awhile, I popped in the HD version and started playing it some more, and now Sonic Unleashed HD is in my top 5 favorite 3D Sonic games of all time list. 

ZazzFixed.png

Again, I really did love Sonic Lost World story. I was greatly pleased that the story was a step up from Sonic Generations story, but then again I believe that SonicTeam originally just wanted to focus more on gameplay instead of story with Sonic Generations, while Sonic Lost World would go back to the traditional storytelling ways. 

Other than enjoying the recent games quite a lot and not being disappointed by them that much, I have also been enjoying the comics greatly. Finally jumped back into those and just been having a blast receiving the newest issue in the mail and enjoying the stories that Ian Flynn have been telling. Above I stated that I not everything has been to my liking in this franchise in its current state, and one of the things is the lack of other main Sonic characters in the games stories. I mean, I miss Sonic Adventure days where the characters actually did things in the story, and were playable. While it's nice to see that the characters will finally be doing things in the story while also being playable in Sonic Boom, the thing is that Sonic Boom isn't main traditional Sonic title. Thankfully I can rely on the comics to see my other favorite characters do different things in the stories. I can also rely on the comics to give me great moments like this, too. 

IHateWater.png

Eh... I guess in a nutshell I'm really just back to being obsessed with this franchise like I was when I was younger and got out of the franchise because I was getting more and more interested in Japanese anime and manga (which I'm actually now getting less interested in. Ha. Funny how I switched back to Sonic again). The newer things I'm loving, I'm always looking at the past and enjoying some of the old stuff, and I'm looking towards the future and only being very optimistic about the franchise future. 

1010616_10152177442997418_619561479_n.pn

It's a new take and new adventure for my favorite cast of characters in the entire world. I know things aren't the same, but I'm still adjusting to this spin-off, and I'm optimistic that the future for Sonic Boom series will be bright. 

Wow that sums up everything I was going to say minus the whole coming back part because I never left.

I can't entirely get what you feel about Sonic as of late OP but I can share your sentiments on being skeptical of getting a high quality Sonic game like Generations.

I became a fan of Sonic a bit after Generations came out, and since played other Sonic games both 2D and 3D. I have played Sonic games before Generations, but I wasn't entirely hooked as I was with other gaming icons as I grew up with like Mario, Crash, or Pokemon. When Lost Worlds was announced, I was on board the hype train waiting for Lost Worlds came out. When the reviews came out, I was still somewhat optimistic that the games could be good (but not enough to make me buy a Wii U though) so I bought the 3DS version. It was...not the worst gaming experience I've had but it was largely mediocre. I knew before buying Lost Worlds that reading the thoughts of SSMB and other message boards that Dimps' talent of recent Sonic games weren't highly respected but I still gave the game a chance since it was Sonic's first 3D experience on a handheld. I had wanted to get a Wii U for Sonic, but my disappointment on the 3DS version and the mixed opinions of the Wii U version made me not want to try it. 

After seeing Sonic Boom RoL in action at E3, I became highly skeptical if I could ever enjoy the gameplay as some people have said, the combat looks like the Werehog combat and the "platforming" seems to slow compared to Sonic Adventures 1 and 2. The speed sections don't look too exciting though, as it really does look like Sonic Dash and not at all like the fast-paced sections like in Generations or in Unleashed. The 3DS version looks alright, but I prefer 3D platforming than 2D in my opinion. That, and I'm not entirely confident with Sanzaru since I didn't quite like what they did with Sly 4. Amidst all the overwhelmingly negative views on Sonic Boom RoL, especially on Neogaf, I do feel a slight bit of hope that the game could be good at the end. Probably not the ideal Sonic game I had in mind, but a good platforming/beat-em-up game to play nonetheless. If the game does turn out to be great, I would greatly consider getting a Wii U since that, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Smash are the only games I would want to get on that console. 

If Sonic Boom RoL or SC does bomb, I still have hope that Sonic Team (the ones who made Generations most likely) could do well in the next main Sonic game. If THAT fails as well, then I will probably leave the Sonic fandom for good.

On the subject of the games themselves and how I feel about them, Generations was good and so was Unleashed (the day more than the night, but neither was terrible to me). Other than that, I've not even so much as considered buying a Sonic game, especially off the wall stuff like Black Knight and Chronicles. I did pick up Sonic 4 (both episodes), and strangely enough enjoyed the first episode a fair bit more than the second.

I will always love the characters themselves, because they were a major part of my childhood. Sonic themed message boards were a big part of that, too. Truth be told, I go to other forums that cater to other fandoms that are having similar feelings (to whats been expressed in this thread) about whatever it is that they're interested in. For example, I'm registered at one board that centers around a particular MMO thats been open for the better of nearly a decade. Pretty much everyone agrees that the game has gone downhill, thats its been ruined by microtransactions and the free-to-play model, and that the developers/publisher has gone in the wrong direction with the game as a whole in regards to new content/rebalancing of old content. But they still stick around, because everybody once loved that thing that they're complaining about, and hope that someday the miraculous changes will come that will turn everything around to make things as fun as they used to be. And of course, the changes aren't likely to come. But it's enough to keep everyone on the same page and allow for new friendships to be made, even if nobody is really talking about that thing that the board centers around in the first place. Their other interests are pretty much the same, so most of the time it's discussions about Smash Bros, or other online games, etc.

Thats kinda why I stick around Sonic forums. Actually, thats probably been the case since around Unleashed. Even if my interest in Sonic is going down the drain, I figure that I'm still likely to find other people whose interests align with my own.

It is a bit of a tricky situation here.

I really do really want to enjoy the Sonic series as a whole and keep caring about it however being reminded of his low points. All the games that I really enjoyed such as Sonic 1 (both), Sonic 2 (both), Sonic CD, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic Advance, Rush Adventure, Colours (both), Generations and Lost World, the Sumo Digital games plus really enjoying AoSTH, the OVA, SatAM and the few issues of Sonic the Comic that I have; I get reminded of not personally enjoying Sonic Heroes (the bugginess of the game put me off even though it had a good stage graphical style), Sonic X and Underground (animation was okay though for the latter), the memories of avoiding Shadow and 06, knowing that Sonic 1 got a bad port but luckily was only released in the US plus the marmiteness of Sonic Unleashed (it is a game that I really want to like but something puts me off and it isn't the Werehog where that was the common compliant). While I completely understand that there are people who do like these games and shows, it is hard to relate (even though I will give Unleashed another shot).

If it wasn't for the DS handheld platformers, the Sumo Digital games and Colours/Generations, even Lost World (where opinions seem to be don't like, meh or the fewer of quite like) I still would have gone off Sonic after Heroes and even then it is hard to talk about Lost World where a fair amount of people don't like the game or find it meh. I was a large Sonic fan when I was younger however noticed that from Sonic Adventure 2 that the series was declining from having games that are a bit on the buggy side plus the series was going towards a different direction (and kept going into different directions) with Heroes putting me off the games and seeing Shadow re-enforced the idea and took until Sonic Colours/Generations before I could trust the 3D games even though ever since Heroes, finding out which Sonic games are good, okay or not very enjoyable was risky due to not only different opinions but also that some are more buggier than others. I know Sega was inconsistant during this time (using 2006 as an example) they released a bad port of a good game, a rushed game that is now considered a low point, a bland racing game that was okay but could have been better, an outsourced hoverboard game that uses a studio that Namco usually outsources to, a new racing game with a port of the original but stayed in Japan however said racing game got a different game on HD consoles and a really good driving game that were two arcade ports put together with improvements. Even though Sega is one of my favourite companies, they can have their high points and low points unlike many other companies where they aren't as extreme and more consistant.

With Sonic Boom and the movie going into a different direction, I am skeptical about it even though I know that there will be people enjoying the game/cartoon/movie. The 3DS game at the moment sounds a tiny bit interested due to the developer involved however I would have to wait until the impressions come in before I can try the game and if it is negative then nope. Anything after that though is foggy due to a reason below so it might get towards a point where Sega and Sonic Team (or whoever) makes a Sonic game that is appealing but unable to play it however unsure when that is going to happen since Sega could release a movie tie-in game or something...

It also doesn't help that Sonic doesn't seem to be popular due to the declining interest of anthromorphic animals and online it is cool to make a mockery of it even though it seems that one of the latest trends is disliking it from the beginning. While there are fans who like the series in their own way that cause people to mock them (e.g. fan characters, fan fiction and other things) however many fan bases also have fans who do that stuff and don't get as mocked or even mocked at all. Lately I have been getting into the Ratchet & Clank series, not a fair comparison since they are mainly an action/TPS/platforming series sometimes with other genres too such as Star Fox style ship shooting and hoverboard/hoverbike racing. Even then that had its down points with also going into different directions (Secret Agent Clank, All for One, Q-Force with its Vita port just like the Sonic Genesis as in a very bad port that makes the Vita look bad) however while it has caused a decline in interest in general, like Sonic it is also getting a movie same thing for Sly Cooper (a series where I like every game) so that could also change things. It is a case though of having the games that are considered the main games (one spinoff that plays like a main game and one that came free with another) since the gameplay is consistant between 7 games with only improvements. Even Mario has dropped popularity a little bit however Mario Kart is still popular and that the Mario games whether main or spinoffs are much of the time polished games where even a bad Mario game can be considered a good game.

With all that in my mind, it is hard to keep caring about Sonic despite that that the classic design of Sonic is one of my favourite characters ever (2008-2013 Modern Sonic was also pretty good), same thing to Robotnik/Eggman. It doesn't just apply to Sonic but it also applies to games as well where I don't really care as much regarding current generation due to that the genres of games that I really liked are either niche or gone (platformers, arcade styled racing games, light gun games, stuff that Sega brought out in the late 90s/early 00s), more multiplayer focused and that there are less choice in games where I pick up either games that I like, trying for a risk that I might / might not even enjoy (some indie games e.g. Hotline Miami/Guacamelee, Mass Effect series, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dynasty Warriors) or even a couple of FPS games that were cheap (e.g. Wolfenstein: The New Order, Killzone Vita) despite prefering the now gone GoldenEye/Perfect Dark formula of FPS. Knowing that it is going to be much of the same for the new consoles and suffering burnout (even though both the PS4 and the Xbone will do well and people will enjoy the games from them)...

It is a bit upsetting to write this actually but it is a personal opinion.

Ever since I first played Heroes, I've been a fan of the franchise. Sure, it was the PS2 version with framerate issues, but Heroes got me into the series regardless. I was fortunate to avoid the '06 game (I didn't have a PS3 at the time), and I actually enjoyed the PS2 version of Unleashed. Never got to play Colors-- I don't have a Wii-- but Generations was a great celebration of Sonic's past and present. You know, it may be because of the fact that I haven't played every Sonic game there is (and even liked some of the not-as-good ones) that I'm still a fan of the games. No disrespect to those of you who have, though.

Anyway, it's horrible that the series has apparently gotten so bad to people that they're abandoning ship. I still think Sonic has a chance, and I'm actually looking forward to Sonic Boom. Let's hope that things improve for the Blue Blur, huh?

Just as many others in here, I have more of an issue with Sega/Sonic Team than I do Sonic. Sonic is a character, the blame doesn't lie with him. I love Sonic and the huge cast of friends he has. Sega and Sonic Team are the ones responsible for the bad decisions of this franchise.

First and foremost, the constant changing of the gameplay style. Every time fans come to like a certain formula, Sega decides to scrap it for something else and they never return to it. They did this with the Adventure games, they did it with the Boost games, and it seems the next main title game will have another kind of formula. They attempted to return to the Classic games, at least, but didn't even bot It'd be one thing if Sega created a new gameplay formula and added it to the list of gameplay styles they already have, but nope, they decide to throw all of their past gameplay formulas in the trash because Sega logic. Sega should either cycle through and improve all of the gameplay styles they have (which I believe would widely please fans), or pick one and stick with it. Inconsistency is plaguing this franchise. Enough of this constant changing!

Then there's the simplification of the games. They keep the plots simple, keep the jokes simple, keep the tone simple, everything is simple! Gameplay is very important, no doubt about that, but focusing so much on gameplay that they feel the need to make everything else simple is making the games boring. Generations has what most consider "great" gameplay (Boosting is not my cup of tea), but many people are bored because the game can be completed in 4-5 hours. Where's the immersive story? What good are the other characters if all they do is stand around? Give us a complete package, Sega! Good gameplay is simply not enough for many of us.

And my final gripe is with the direction of the series. The overly cheesy writing, overly light-hearted tone, the jokes/puns shoved into every story. Since Sonic Colors, Sonic has dropped his original role as a hero and lover of freedom and justice and became a wannabe-comedian. He's now the guy that stands around and spouts puns. Sonic used to unintentionally says cheesy things which came off either witty or silly/funny, but now he intentionally tries to say jokes ("Pun totally intended!"), it comes off as forced and try-hard. Sonic may be a blue hedgehog fighting against an egg-shaped doctor, but they're taking it too far with the "comedy" idea. Sonic has always been a hero, and he should stay that way.
However, it's not just Sonic who has suffered from bad characterization, but many of the characters. They need to be redone so they're back to the way they were originally intended to be.....especially poor Knuckles.

I agree with what a few people said. Sega should take a small break (though maybe not 4-5 years) and get themselves together. They need to figure out what they want to do and where they want to take this franchise. I also agree with the idea of a Sonic Bible, so Sega can iron out the Sonic Universe and get rid of the inconsistencies. 

But why should Sega halt their most successful IP because a few fans on the internet are disgruntled? If the fans are that jaded wouldnt the choice to give and disown Sonic be up to them and not Sega?

Sega actually makes most of their money from their arcade/phone games and because of Sammy's casino machines, not Sonic. Sega is in the Top Ten richest gaming companies- they're a billionaire company. As mediocre as Sonic has become, there's no way Sega could be billionaires off his games alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, from around 2003-2011 Sonic was a pretty big part of my life.  In fact I used to spend around 5 hours a day on the SEGA Forums or SSMB just TALKING about Sonic.  I wouldn't do that now if you paid me (no hard feelings though, I like you guys a lot :P )

Last Sonic game I got really into was Generations.  I followed it super closely, got pumped up for it and bought a PS3 just to play it.  It was awesome, but after that there really wasn't much to keep me around.  

I spent an hour or so playing the Wii U version of Lost World at a friend's house and hated it.  The 3DS demo was enough to show me that wouldn't tickle my fancy either.  So I skipped that game and spent my money on other things instead.....aaaaand that's essentially my relationship with Sonic as of right now.  I'd just rather spend my money elsewhere.

I thought maybe Boom would re-spark my interest, but even for a spinoff I just think it looks kind of trashy.  Sonic is a character that has always interested me and I love seeing stuff like drawings of him and music remixes, but aside from playing some of the Genesis games I don't think I've touched anything in this franchise in a solid year or so, and that doesn't make me sad either.

Even if Sonic holds some memories for me, at the end of the day I still treat him like a fictional character, and I'd much rather just spend my money on something that I KNOW will make me happy (GTAV, Destiny, etc.) than buy another mediocre Sonic game.  

If a really good Sonic game comes along I'll buy it but I'm kind of numb to Sonic and SEGA In general at this point.

I think the problem is Sonic is geared more towards children now than it ever was. 

Classic games: For all ages

Adventure games: Children to early teens

Heroes: Children

06: All ages? I don't know 06 was weird

Unleashed: Children to early teens

Sonic 4: All ages

Colors: Children

Generations: All ages (nostalgia factor) but still pretty childish

Lost World: Children

Just look at how the dialogue has changed over time, not to mention characters like the Deadly Six... I miss the "normal" Sonic from the classic days. He just got the job done without saying a word.

You're kidding yourself if you think Sonic now is any more aimed at children than in the Mega Drive days. Or that the only reason he didn't talk wasn't simply because of hardware limitations.

If anything, SEGASonic now is pretty much the same as in the Sonic 1-2 era, just since Sonic Adventure happened in the middle there are fans expecting pandering to their side instead.

You're kidding youself if you think Sonic now is any more aimed at children than in the Mega Drive days. Or that the only reason he didn't talk wasn't simply because of hardware limitations.

The difficulty of the older games certainly wasn't very kid friendly. It was still mainly for kids but I'd argue a lot less. Remember Sega was "edgy" back then. And I know video games in general were more difficult back then to extend replay value but still.

The difficulty of the older games certainly wasn't very kid friendly. It was still mainly for kids but I'd argue a lot less. Remember Sega was "edgy" back then. And I know video games in general were more difficult back then to extend replay value but still.

Sonic Heroes had its hard moments, they were just there for all the wrong reasons (fuck you Rail Canyon).

Sonic Heroes had its hard moments, they were just there for all the wrong reasons (fuck you Rail Canyon).

You have a point there. All I know is if I had to play a Sonic game in front of an audience, I'd be less embarrassed to play one of the classic games or even 4 than something like Heroes, Colors or Lost World.

Mario was hard, will you argue it's not for kids? Or Mega Man? Nevermind one of Lost World's major complaints was difficulty when it debuted.

SEGA was edgy, yes. Things like Outrun, Streets of Rage, clearly not really aimed at kids.

You're kidding yourself if the blue cartoon hedgehog with an attitude that was at once splattered in every possible kiddie merch with two cartoon shows, comics for kids, manga in magazines for kids aged 4 years old, market research focused on kids, and characters designed to be easy for kids to draw wasn't just as aimed as kids as nowadays. Hell, I'd say possibly even more- SEGASonic feels more to me aimed at nostalgic adults remembering their childhood days than actual modern kids, possibly out of a feeling of "well the kids will come anyways".

Mario was hard, will you argue it's not for kids? Or Mega Man? Nevermind one of Lost World's major complaints was difficulty when it debuted.

SEGA was edgy, yes. Things like Outrun, Streets of Rage, clearly not really aimed at kids.

You're kidding yourself if the blue cartoon hedgehog with an attitude that was at once splattered in every possible kiddie merch with two cartoon shows, comics for kids, manga in magazines for kids aged 4 years old, market research focused on kids, and characters designed to be easy for kids to draw wasn't just as aimed as kids as nowadays. Hell, I'd say possibly even more- SEGASonic feels more to me aimed at nostalgic adults remembering their childhood days than actual modern kids, possibly out of a feeling of "well the kids will come anyways".

Maybe I am just blinded by nostalgia, but something about the classic games feels less childish, even when you ignore the lack of dialogue. Maybe that's just the vibe retro games give off, I don't know lol.

I'd frankly say possibly just nostalgia. With no intention to offend here, I just really don't see what point one could consider the Mega Drive games to be more aimed at older people than modern SEGASonic. Or maybe the mechanical design, considering the badniks in Lost World look like tin toys.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really know about the retro games, but on the adventure era they sure aimed it at teens and such and now we're back to kindergarden, mostly because of the story's tone, simple and boring.