Awoo.

Sonic Boom Wii U vs. 3DS! Which do you Prefer?

ishmael205

Going to be biased, but also completely honest here: The inclusion of Sticks makes me want these games, far, far less. Sanic doesn't need anymore new friends. Sorry.

Sorry but making a world with only 4 characters in it is just pathetic..

• Thumbs Up 4

The Wii U version looks amazing! The 3ds looks like a Rush-Rivals Hybrid...I'll buy both, but I 'm buying the wii u version first. Besides, I think the console version story are the canon events to the show. First, I gotta buy a wii u though...I'll buy the 3ds version next year.

The Wii U version looks amazing! The 3ds looks like a Rush-Rivals Hybrid...I'll buy both, but I 'm buying the wii u version first. Besides, I think the console version story are the canon events to the show. First, I gotta buy a wii u though...I'll buy the 3ds version next year.

It's the characters, setting and tone that link the games and show together. I sincerely doubt the show will be referencing any specific events from either game, rendering on canon and one non-canon. As far as the show is concerned, either one (or possibly even both) could be canon, not just the Wii U version specifically.

Oy. I only have a 3DS right now, so it's a moot point as I'll be getting Shattered Crystal anyway.

With that said, I'd have to side with Rise of Lyric so far. Both look pretty great, and each have elements that I'm really digging. On the other hand though, the main draw for this game is that it's so story driven. Again, it's too early to tell right now, but Lyric has this is spades compared to Crystal. The latter just feels like a 2D expansion pack, like this is meant to follow up from the former to provide a larger story. It's the whole "Arkham Origins vs. Blackgate" feeling all over. And while a Sonic Metroidvania is a pipe dream come true for me...I don't think it will mean much if the story doesn't dig deep into that same world.

Maybe my thoughts will change when we eventually see more story details.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry but making a world with only 4 characters in it is just pathetic..

As main, playable characters? How many of those did Super Mario Galaxy have?

If I had to pick between the two, Rise of Lyric looks like the better game to me, even if it is "stop and go". I can't put my finger on why.

As main, playable characters? How many of those did Super Mario Galaxy have?

If I had to pick between the two, Rise of Lyric looks like the better game to me, even if it is "stop and go". I can't put my finger on why.

WHat does mario galaxy have to do with this. if youre trying to say its was worst than it could have been because of the lack of characters I will agree.

I definitely prefer the Wii U version, but I'm ultimately going to have to get the 3ds version since that's the only one I can afford.

Wii U so far. While Rise of Lyric very clearly wants to deviate from a normal Sonic experience and be something else, Shattered Crystal looks like it's trying to be a Sonic game, but isn't sure how to go about it. The characters move at Sonic 4 Episode 1 speed, there are mandatory stop-and-go sections where you have to switch to another character to press some button to clear the way for the rest of the level, and it has rival races. No thanks.

At best, SC will probably have the better soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm actually going to say the 3DS game, which kind of kills me on the inside as someone who's been asking for more plotting in Sonic. For all the blandish elements vaguely swirling around it, the 3DS game seems to have a better handle on what it wants to be as a game, and lacks the bland core of the Wii-U game's gameplay. Ultimately, though, I can't really say I'm keen on either game. The one looks like it's trying, at least, but that's about all I have to go on right now.

At least the show looks neat.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be getting the 3DS version because I don't own a Wii U. I'm not going to make a hands on judgement because it's still a while until the release date (we don't even have one) and I don't think enough about the game itself has been revealed. I just hope it'll be released by mid October at the latest so I have a game to focus on during my time at MCM Expo smile.png

It's not a total loss though, if this game isn't released before MCM then I'll just play Smash Bros. smile.png

I'm getting the feeling that the 3DS version will be better received by critics on expectation and "Sonic-ism" alone, while the Wii U game will be one of those underrated games that lots of people thought was alright, like Sonic Unleashed but with less stupid.

Rise of Lyric. It just seems like a fuller experience than Shattered Crystal is, and has tons of character to it.

I also have a lot more fears for SC than I do for RoL, as I pretty much get the gist of how the latter works already, and I'm confident it will suit my tastes perfectly. SC though seems to be doing what RoL isn't, and that's adding speed into the regular stages. Problem is, speed is hardly ever good in this series unless the games revolve around them, and even when they do, it still doesn't give them the quality gameplay the classics had. SC seems to have just stuck the speed into the game for fan pandering, while the levels stay the same as they were: very blocky and stop-n-go. Not a good sign.

The autorun stage looked really cool when I first saw it, but the more I look at it, the more I can tell that these stages will be a bore to replay, as they have hardly any spectacle going for them. Just blank tubes going underground.

So while I'm definitely excited to play a metroidvania styled Sonic game, I just have a lot more worries for SC than I do for RoL. I'll probably still pick it up, but I feel like I'm slowly losing interest in it, like I did with SLW 3DS. Part of that probably has to do with the fact that I'm only being promised a gameplay experience from it, and not a full, characterized one that I'll fully enjoy. Oh well, we'll see in due time.

• Thumbs Up 3

Shattered Crystal looks far more appealing to me, not only because of the more positive reaction from critics but also because it seems to play more like a Sonic game than Rise of Lyric. Sticks may be a YMMV character addition and I'm not keen on having to switch between different characters constantly, but I like the idea of it being more of a Metroidvania type of game and the music being done by Richard Jacques is an added bonus! I'd say the 3DS game is the version I would most likely buy day one, rather than the Wii U version.

Mind you, Rise of Lyric has a lot going for it too like a bigger story, nicely animated cutscenes and some nicer graphics, but the gameplay looks boring, not to mention a chore to play while the gameplay in Shattered Crystal doesn't really look as painful to play through.

And it's obvious I'm going to side with the game that has more positive previews than the other one, which ironically is supposed to be the better, bigger game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sadly, it doesn't matter how many positive previews the 3DS version is receiving, it will later be ignored and will be overshadowed by the Wii U console version cause the console version is always the one that gets the most attention which is ashame. Critics will praise the 3DS version then turn right around and trash the Wii U version and say all the typical bs they would normally say when they review a Sonic game.

3DS, hands down.

The Wii U version looks like a terrible game with nothing to differentiate it from other platformers. Shattered Crystal, on the other hand, still incorporates Sonic's trademark speed in an acceptable way while offering players plenty of freedom. It's true that Rise of Lyric is a much prettier game than its counterpart, but that means absolutely nothing if the gameplay is so fundamentally flawed. Seriously, the combat in Boom makes the Werehog look pretty darn appealing at times.

Definitely 3DS. It looks really fun and retains what Sonic is known for while adding something new into the gameplay. It's apparently well polished too.  

I'm really surprised by some of the reviews I've seen. The 3DS version is getting a lot of praise while the Wii U version is being slated left, right and centre. From what I've seen in the past when it comes to games being released on both non handheld and handheld consoles the handheld console version is the one that usually gets slated so this is quite interesting. I wonder if these opinions will change once the games are released.

3DS version. At least it knows what a Sonic game should retain. I don't care if Sonic Boom is branching from the main series, a Sonic game needs to have some core additions to feel like a Sonic game. The Wii U version doesn't have this IMO.

Wii u because unlike the 3ds version it has combat.

3DS version. At least it knows what a Sonic game should retain. I don't care if Sonic Boom is branching from the main series, a Sonic game needs to have some core additions to feel like a Sonic game. The Wii U version doesn't have this IMO.

Uhhhhh, ya it does.

Wii u because unlike the 3ds version it has combat. Uhhhhh, ya it does.

What you mean the transition speed level that hardly has any harzards.

That was a speed section to a hub, frost said that they're going to change up a bit when you continue the game.

That was a speed section to a hub, frost said that they're going to change up a bit when you continue the game.

Unfortunately alot of people are judging on face value. He can say what he wants but it doesn't change the fact that we cant believe him .

You mean the same amount of hazards the 3DS version has, as well?

The 3DS version's danger levels aren't exactly the toughest competition to go up against.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately alot of people are judging on face value. He can say what he wants but it doesn't change the fact that we cant believe him .

.........I don't know what to say about this comment.....Its just so...stupid. Just asking....why can't we believe him? I believe him, so I don't know what this "we" is about.

.........I don't know what to say about this comment.....Its just so...stupid. Just asking....why can't we believe him? I believe him, so I don't know what this "we" is about.

First of all, if you don't have anything constructive to say towards a member's post, then please don't post at all as it doesn't contribute to the discussion at hand. Second of all, at all times, you are to be respectful towards your fellow members, whether you agree with them or not, and saying that their comment or post is "stupid" does not qualify as such.

I'm not saying that you aren't allowed to disagree with what a member says, which you are definitely are entitled to do if you wish, but what you can't do is insult or put members down that you disagree with by calling what they said as being "stupid" or any other form of insults. Always be sure to express yourself in a civil and respectful manner please, especially when you disagree with someone.