Awoo.

Sonic Concept Art by DiC: SatAM Concepts Look NOTHING Like The Final Outcome

Indigo Rush

WTF_0cacf8_1206267.gif

Dey.... Dey... They said who with the what now? 

Is there documentation of this?

Yep, on Knight's official website (scroll down a bit). He claims that AOStH producer Kent Butterworth told him the story. It's really not that unbelievable, considering how "irreverent" SOA was at the time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Apparently, back then, SEGA understood the absolute divinity that is Eggman's sex appeal.

• Thumbs Up 5

Strangely enough, it seems like Rotor had virtually no development compared with the evolution of the other characters. Perhaps he was an idea that had been floating around at DIC before Sonic was even pitched. Here, we can see that his model sheet was finalized in 1992 - before the show even had a name. Other than the fact that his name was "Boomer" back then, he's exactly the same as his final incarnation. $_57.JPG

Nah, Rotor was just a late bloomer, his evolution taking place during the show and early comics. He had at least three different designs in Satam while the comic initially used his 'Boomer' moniker.

Here's another amusing model sheet - this is apparently Sonic's "G-force face". No idea which cartoon it was for, as the cel was from 1992 and just had the generic Sonic game logo. It was probably for AoSTH though, as producer Ken Butterworth's motto was "If you can recognize the character, it's "on-model".

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

GOTTA GO FAST!

Oh, and here's a new transitional SatAM Robotnik. I don't know if this was before or after "electric ponytail" Robotnik, but now the villain has traded in his warts and forehead spike for "wire hair" and a pig nose.

$_57.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

What kind of masochist do you have to be to twist your freaking ears, one of the most sensitive areas of your body and responsible for one of the most used of your five primary senses. into a ponytail for aesthetic purposes?  I can't begin to explain how glad I am that they didn't go with this design.  It's literally uncomfortable to just look at.

• Thumbs Up 4

And why does Bunnie prototype design remind me so much of Bugs Bunny if he gets shredded inside of a blender?

I just love this Topic... All these unused desings & so much fun!

But wait - there's more! Here's another very early human Sally concept. Words can't even describe this one - a "baseball cap hairdo"? Really?

$_57.JPG

And here's one of the first sketches of Tails. He looks pretty much the same as final, since DIC could at least refer to his in-game sprite. Unfortunately, it seems they've interpreted his round hands as "big boxing gloves." I'm glad they got rid of that (although I will admit that the idea of Tails and Knuckles duking it out does have some appeal). Another interesting thing about this design, while unintentional, is his lower half (particularly his feet/tails) are really giving off some Sonic Adventure vibes.

$_57.JPG

And here's another early design of the villain. Silly DIC, they said "Robotnik", not "Robotic!"

$_57.JPG

• Thumbs Up 4

$_57.JPG

Sonic sez the best disguise to fool Robuttnik is a tempting one. 

• Thumbs Up 6

This didn't surprise me all that much considering these people were also responsible for the English dub of Sailor Moon *cringes* lol

Here's another shiny new Robotnik concept piece! This one looks like a mixture of Frankenstein's monster, a robot, and a luchador. And he has "robotic sneakers" (DIC really was hung up on the word 'robot').

$_57.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's another shiny new Robotnik concept piece! This one looks like a mixture of Frankenstein's monster, a robot, and a luchador. And he has "robotic sneakers" (DIC really was hung up on the word 'robot').

$_57.JPG

Jesse and James have really let themselves go.

seriously wtf is that even

Jesse and James have really let themselves go.

Robotnik obviously ate them.

Team Eggman blast off at the speed of light.

Surrender now or prepare to fight!

Also a huge suggestion, can people bung these on other image hosting places, just that in a few weeks when the ebay listings shut down, all this artwork will be lost.

• Thumbs Up 6

I've been saving as many as I can on my hard drive. Ebay conveniently keeps a listing viewable for 30 days after an auction ends, so I've got some time to find them all. I'll sort through them and send them to whoever wants to archive them.

Cowboy Tails was mentioned in an early SatAM Bible. It's cool to see some sketches of that !

Here's a few more early sketches of Bunnie. Frankly, I find this design more than a bit disturbing - it's more dead than alive. (But maybe that's just my old childhood fear of robots talking).

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Yikes! On a more lighthearted note, here's Sonic with a cake on his head.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

"I'm 23 years old already?"

• Thumbs Up 9

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

"I'm 23 years old already?"

This is absolutely adorable! ^.^ <3  Much nicer than Bunnie's ear twist thing.  That still gives me the creeps. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

That is easily the most adorable drawing of the bunch! I just love it. And go figure that it looks the most Japanese of all the artwork. 

• Thumbs Up 5

In SatAM, Sonic had a pet dog named Muttski. He only appeared in the first episode, and by then he had been roboticized (although we do get to see one picture of him before Robotnik took over).

Well, it seems the idea of Sonic having a dog was a fairly old one - here's a sketch of a character simply billed as "Sonic's Dog". Continuing DIC's tradition of... erm, "creative" character pitches, this dog only has back legs and uses his long ears as the front ones. How that would be animated, I do not know.

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

That's freaking depressing. Thank god they didn't do that; it'd have made his roboticization more of a favor...