Awoo.

Will the next game be based on archie or something like that?

NikoS

Hi everyone, for those who don´t know me i´m NikoS, and i live at the End of the World ,A.K.A  Brazil, but, returning for this topic.( i´ve not saw anything like this in the forums, so, if there is, sorry )

i´ve noticed something on archie comics, they are trying to approach to the games, now they are adapting the unleashed story, they rebooted the whole universe of the comics, so i´ve thought, " hey, since they are trying an approximation with the games, why not they approach the games to the comics and make it one continuity ", now, i know this sounds strange and absurd, but hey, nothing is impossible, and now many, many locations that exists in the games exists in the comics, like central city, westopolis, spagonia, shamar was mentioned, and many more.

so, what do you guys think, is that possible to something like it happens?

now, i know this sounds strange and absurd, but hey, nothing is impossible

It does, and some things are impossible actually.

...Okay that was a bit harshly put, but really, no it's not gonna happen.  The Japanese team have no interest in the western comics, and they're hardly gonna get another team to make an Archie game and muddle the continuities further on TOP of vanilla Sonic AND Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 5

Highly doubt it, and even if it was, it probably wouldn't be anything from the comic pre-reboot. Plus, it'd be too early for an Archie game when the comic is currently too busy expanding it's own new world because of said reboot.

They're starting to match the comics and games because Sega prefers it simplified, and it's just easy to do now that the lawsuit took half of the background characters. If it were just that I'd say you got a 1/100 chance of that happening. But since we got Boom on the way, it's clear that that will be the secondary continuity. Archie will continue its own thing, probably invent some new comics-only characters, but I never see it jumping from the page to the screen, like ever. We'd be extremely lucky to even get toys. Which I want so bad, by the way, like poseable Freedom Fighters, aw man.

No.

The chances of SEGA and Sonic Team releasing an Archie Sonic-based game are about as slim as a meteor landing in your front garden only to open up and reveal a winning Lotto ticket.

Good thing too. In addition, what makes the fans who are clamouring for this think the comic's characters are going to be done any justice (...Not that they are at the moment in their home continuity) in the games when many of the characters that already exist in the game series aren't even getting treated even decently?

• Thumbs Up 1

Doing so would require "introducing" all of the Archie characters into the game continuity. The reason we haven't seen most of the extended cast of Sonic characters in recent games is because, outside of a few die-hard fans, everyone was God-damn sick of them, so SEGA would be in a bad spot by making the video gaming community think "Great, more characters."

I think it would be a bad idea to base a game off the Archie canon, mainly because Archie canon is supposed to be it's own thing. While it takes elements from the game, it seems to take it's own path. Characterizations are also different, and if 'Sonic's Shitty Friends' is anything to go by, the critics would have a field day tearing the game apart due to the sheer amount of characters. 

I think it would be best to leave the Archie canon to what it is now, and have it separate from the games and of obviously Boom. 

Probably not, though I bet my money on the next game being based on the upcoming movie if it does come out.

It's not happening anytime soon. We already have an alternate universe coming up in the form of Boom so making an Archie game would be pointless.

Plus a lot of the roles that the Freedom Fighters would play have already been taken up by game characters.

Rotor (team mechanic)- Taken by Tails

Sally (Love interest)- Taken by Amy (to an extent)

Bunnie (Team tough guy)- Taken by Knuckles

Scourge (Doppleganger Rival)- Taken by Shadow

And the list goes on and on. So yeah, I really think it's best if Archie remains in it's own Canon. Sorry.

While I would like it, I feel as there would be a lot of opposition. Plus, unless there's a competent writer at the helm of it, the Archie cast would be watered down to the questioning of the purpose of doing it in the first place.

I'd enjoy concepts taken from Archie (a good number of them) but is the entire lore really needed? Nah.

It's not happening anytime soon. We already have an alternate universe coming up in the form of Boom so making an Archie game would be pointless.

Plus a lot of the roles that the Freedom Fighters would play have already been taken up by game characters.

Rotor (team mechanic)- Taken by Tails

Sally (Love interest)- Taken by Amy (to an extent)

Bunnie (Team tough guy)- Taken by Knuckles

Scourge (Doppleganger Rival)- Taken by Shadow

And the list goes on and on. So yeah, I really think it's best if Archie remains in it's own Canon. Sorry.

Scourge isn't a Freedom Fighter. Plus, his role is still slightly different.

Scourge isn't a Freedom Fighter. Plus, his role is still slightly different.

I know he isn't. I listed him because he plays the role of a Doppleganger rival which is a role already taken by Shadow in the games.

I know he isn't. I listed him because he plays the role of a Doppleganger rival which is a role already taken by Shadow in the games.

You could argue that Metal Sonic was already in that position.

I think the only sort of Sonic game based off the comics should be something simpler like an RPG, that can actually really exploit the enlarged cast of characters. Putting Archie in the standard games asks for disaster.

Sure enough, Chronicles did have some Archie themes going on, and look how it turned out critically.

An Archie game would probably never happen, short of Archie buying a large stake in SEGA Sammy.

Now, speaking as a mod: it seems more or less everyone's on the same page that this wouldn't happen, so I'm not sure if this should remain open, since consensus doesn't really create discussion. I guess there's possible room for how an Archie adaption would work or come to be, but I'm not sure. I'll leave it open for now and see how things go.

Sure enough, Chronicles did have some Archie themes going on, and look how it turned out critically.

It actually did well critically.

Among the fans, not so much. And I've no clue about the sales.

Doing so would require "introducing" all of the Archie characters into the game continuity. The reason we haven't seen most of the extended cast of Sonic characters in recent games is because, outside of a few die-hard fans, everyone was God-damn sick of them, so SEGA would be in a bad spot by making the video gaming community think "Great, more characters."

Not that I think Archie characters are going to show up in the games, but considering Sonic Boom introduced Sticks and Lost World the Deadly Six, I'd say going off their recent games SEGA doesn't care about any "Great, more characters." gripes anymore.

Not that I think Archie characters are going to show up in the games, but considering Sonic Boom introduced Sticks and Lost World the Deadly Six, I'd say going off their recent games SEGA doesn't care about any "Great, more characters." gripes anymore.

Not for Boom, at least.

Then again, they did flat out make more characters in Lost World, so it seems more like they don't know what they're doing when it comes to just good writing in general.

Regarding a game based on Archie, aside from Chronicles...uh, no, not happening anytime soon. I'd normally say games are more consistent with their universes, but with Boom being the spin-off that it is, there may be more flexibility than that.

If one were to happen in the foreseeable future, there's no telling how it would turn out. For one, Archie!Sonic as it currently is has obviously undergone a reboot, and things are more game-centric as a result, so there's no way you can use anything before the 2nd Genesis Wave. I honestly wouldn't mind it, it could be it's own separate universe like they're doing with Boom. And I would love to actually be able to walk around the setting on my own time and on my own terms rather than the more set-in-piece way that comics have to do.

But at the same time, it might come off as rather redundant depending on how your going to tell the story, especially if you're going with the current Archie that is adapting plots from the games. So unless they want to create new, separate stories from the ground up for any Archie based Sonic game, I find it hard to see the point; note that it wouldn't be hard to do anyway, but for more recent titles, you'd have to have a large gap of time before touching their plots again.

But at this point, I wouldn't say it's a good idea due to how factionalized Sonic is among fans. Granted, casual fans more than likely wouldn't give a damn, because Sonic is Sonic so long as they can recognize him upon seeing him. But who knows? It might actually be profitable.

Now what I would recommend is a Sonic cartoon based on the Archie Comics. Sonic's already had multiple cartoons with various differences, so a pitch like that would be perfect for the comics.

I don't think now is the right time for an Archie Sonic-themed spinoff. They wouldn't be allowed to use the old comic for obvious reasons, and the new comic doesn't have enough material for an adaptation yet. It would also have to be set in its own continuity, so there's also the risk of stepping on Sonic Boom's toes...

Now what I would recommend is a Sonic cartoon based on the Archie Comics. Sonic's already had multiple cartoons with various differences, so a pitch like that would be perfect for the comics.

Oh, that would be a great idea! It's also kind of appropriate, considering the comic's origin. People might complain about it not being like SatAM though...

Among the fans, not so much. And I've no clue about the sales.

It sold as much as titles like Rush Adventure in America (which isn't that bad), but pretty much bombed everywhere else. (even by Japanese standards it failed for a Sonic title).

Oh, that would be a great idea! It's also kind of appropriate, considering the comic's origin. People might complain about it not being like SatAM though...

I can see people complaining about it existing, in general.

"Ew! Those nasty Freedom Fighters got a cartoon?! WHY?!"

But, with as divided as Sonic is, there's a lot of sides. Complaining is inevitable.

It'll never happen but that would be really cool to have the mega man and sonic crossover game like in the comics. A problem is that the comics have just started going back to the games (it is currently doing sonic unleashed) and also some of the original comics are really dark (egg grapes anyone) so it probably will never happen.

also some of the original comics are really dark (egg grapes anyone)

They're still fairly dark. Maybe a bit more optimistic now, but dark all the same. Besides, Egg Grapes isn't that dark. Lion Kings is probably darker than that.

I'm starting to think people have too much of a kneejerk reaction when the Sonic's name accompanies the word "dark" in a sentence at this point, even though the comics of all mediums doesn't screw up handling the tone like Sonic Team did with games like ShTH and Sonic 06.

I'm starting to think people have too much of a kneejerk reaction when the Sonic's name accompanies the word "dark" in a sentence at this point, even though the comics of all mediums doesn't screw up handling the tone like Sonic Team did with games like ShTH and Sonic 06.

I agree, Sonic has never been particularly dark, a kids show like Adventure Time has episodes and tone/themes probably darker than Sonic has ever had, but people have this irrational aversion to the idea of Sonic trying anything more edgy than a Mario game, I believe because they look at games like Shadow and 06 and confuse the story tone for something that affected the gameplay quality.

The comics have probably been a little darker than the games traditionally, but I'm not sure that's so true anymore.