Awoo.

Let's Play Dr. Robotnik's Creature Capture

Dr. Mechano

Inspired by SSMB's own Jovahexeon, I've decided to try my hand at a Sonic playthrough with informative commentary. The subject of this playthrough is a fan-game rather than an official installment in the Sonic series, but I feel it's really well-done and deserves more love! So, without further ado, I'd like to take a look at the fantastic Dr. Robotnik's Creature Capture, by MarkeyJester at Sonic Retro. (Wiki link)

DoctorRobotniksCreatureCapture_Title.png

The game is a heavily modified version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, where you take on the role of Sonic's nemesis Dr. Eggman and set out to capture critters to power up your Badniks. The gameplay is a bit reminiscent of Sonic 3D Blast or Knuckles' treasure-hunting stages (albeit in 2D) in this regard, with the focus being more explorative in nature. 

DoctorRobotniksCreatureCapture_1.png

As in Sonic 1, all of South Island's zones - divided into three acts each - are here. My playthrough will tackle a zone per video, and will aim to be both informative and entertaining (I'll try my best at least!) as I show off this egg-cellent game. So, without further ado, the videos thus far:

Part 1 - Green Hill Zone

Let's help the nefarious Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik capture critters and conquer the world! (Forgive some of the obvious Sonic facts in this video; I want it to also be accessible to non-Sonic fans, hence the bare-bones explanation of Sonic 1's plot.)

Part 2 - Marble Zone

In part 2, we capture the creatures of Marble Zone while avoiding deadly traps and lava!

In any case, I'll be tackling Spring Yard Zone next, and should have that posted soon! I hope you enjoy!
  • Thumbs Up 9

These are really entertaining! Maybe you could LP Fan-made games, hacks, and mods as well as other games? I think it would give your LPs something unique.smile.png

Also, I didn't think you would sound like the way you do in your vids. I thought you would sound more... sophisticated? I dunno.laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

These are really entertaining! Maybe you could LP Fan-made games, hacks, and mods as well as other games? I think it would give your LPs something unique.smile.png

Also, I didn't think you would sound like the way you do in your vids. I thought you would sound more... sophisticated? I dunno.laugh.png

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

And... sure! I'll play pretty much anything if it's about Eggman (and I'll be doing a full-on SA2 run eventually), but other fan-games (Eggman or otherwise) could be a lot of fun too!

And yeah, try as I might, I can't completely hide my ungainly southern accent. xP

And yeah, try as I might, I can't completely hide my ungainly southern accent. xP

Oh southern, eh? I thought you just sounded like a regular dude, kinda surprised me. Thought you'd sound more upper class, like a guy in a bathrobe smoking a pipe in front of a fireplace, considering how literate your post can be.

That aside, I'm glad you liked my suggestion! Are there any fangames you have in mind in particular after Robotnik's Creature Capture? Like Sonic Before/After the Sequel?

• Thumbs Up 1

That aside, I'm glad you liked my suggestion! Are there any fangames you have in mind in particular after Robotnik's Creature Capture? Like Sonic Before/After the Sequel?

At the moment, I don't have any specific fangames planned, but suggestions are always welcome! (Having never played the Before/After the Sequel games, I'd like to play through them on my own first to familiarize myself with them before doing commentary. I can certainly put them on my to-play list though, even if I'm not precisely sure when I'll cover them!)

I'll probably do another entry in the Wario series (next up is Virtual Boy Wario Land) before tackling another fangame, but I definitely do plan to do more.

What an awesome idea for a game! XD I love how nimble that fat little man appears to be!

Great LP as well. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

In part 3, we go to the fabulous Spring Yard Zone and capture even more animals! 

I had a ton of fun with this stage, and it served as a nice breather level after the quite-hectic Marble Zone. I hope you guys enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice. This is a really cool idea for a game starring Eggman. I've often considered what a game starring Eggman would be like and I usually thought they'd be more along the lines of a RTS, or maybe something akin to Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I'd have never thought of a fun little Ape Escape-esque game. At one point you compared the game to the Emerald hunting stages in SA2, but if I was to make a comparison to another SOnic game I'd say it probably has more in common with Sonic 3D Blast.

Regardless, cool game and nice LP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's time for Labyrinth Zone! Water, spikes, and traps everywhere! But man, this stage was a lot of fun! I'm really enjoying playing through this game, and I can't wait to tackle Star Light!

• Thumbs Up 1

In part 5, we head to the sprawling metropolis of Star Light Zone! We're getting close to the end!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh Dr. Mechano, this is simply wonderful! And I'm pleasantly surprised to find I helped inspire you! Keep up the great work!

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, this would one took a while! I'm still not very good at this stage, but here it is! In part 6, we head into Dr. Eggman's own base and rid it of its pesky animals! Tune in next time for part 7, where we look at the bonus content and credits!

• Thumbs Up 1

Also it can be more dinamic biggrin.png Nice Let's Play anyway.

Ah, yes! You're clearly much better at this game than I am! I really enjoyed your walkthrough a lot; very helpful and to the point, and shows some tremendous skill at the game.