Awoo.

Hyper Sonic Epilepsy Rumor

wolvenreign

I thought it was well known that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were meant to be one game but were split into 2 for time constraint reasons.

I think you missed my point.  My point was that since they were two separate games, that's how the story progressed.  With that said, S3&K was not a canon game and therefore the Super Emeralds and by extension Hyper Sonic are not canon elements any more than Knuckles is to Sonic 2.

If we say S3 -> S&K is how things went, then this means that Sonic mysteriously lost the Chaos Emeralds after Launch Base and Tails pulled an '06!Blaze and vanished from the plot without any explanation, then shows up again with no explanation.

Is it really difficult to say "S3&K happened, but ignore the Super Emerald shit"? Or is the Big Arm fight so essential to the timeline that we have to say "S3 -> S&K", not "S3&K"?

Um, I don't understand? I may not have epilepsy, but I have had a seizure before, and I don't understand how that could be considered offensive. I'm not trying to pick a fight or go off topic here, I'm just curious.

The word "spastic" in some areas, particularly in the UK, literally means "retarded," and the word "spaz" is basically shorthand for retard.  It's not a slur towards people who suffer from epilepsy or are prone to seizures, but towards mental disabled people in general.

???

Spastic has been a word since 1753 and Spaz since 1965. I'm not seeing how a bunch of people in a single part of the world suddenly using it as out of context slang makes it inherently offensive.

If we say S3 -> S&K is how things went, then this means that Sonic mysteriously lost the Chaos Emeralds after Launch Base and Tails pulled an '06!Blaze and vanished from the plot without any explanation, then shows up again with no explanation.

Is it really difficult to say "S3&K happened, but ignore the Super Emerald shit"? Or is the Big Arm fight so essential to the timeline that we have to say "S3 -> S&K", not "S3&K"?

Being released separately doesn't mean the events don't take place around the same time.  if the two games had been released as one, per the initial plan, I highly doubt it would have 14 emeralds or that Hyper Sonic would have been an active part of it is all I am saying.  In Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you don't have to get all seven Chaos Emeralds to make it to Mushroom Hill and onward, so I don't think we're led to assume that Sonic and Tails lost the Chaos Emeralds in between as much as we're led to believe that the story varies in the same way the multiple paths in Shadow the Hedgehog only lead to one true canon ending.

???

Spastic has been a word since 1753 and Spaz since 1965. I'm not seeing how a bunch of people in a single part of the world suddenly using it as out of context slang makes it inherently offensive.

The word "retard" has been a word for equally longer, but that doesn't make it any more offensive when society ha built it up to mean something inherently negative, rather than purely medical.  I think the fact that a good deal of the members on this site hail from the UK warrants that it should be considered when put in that context.

And now I know retard originally applied to more than just down syndrome patients.

Very well, I concede.

Being released separately doesn't mean the events don't take place around the same time.  if the two games had been released as one, per the initial plan, I highly doubt it would have 14 emeralds or that Hyper Sonic would have been an active part of it is all I am saying.

That's why I said that the placement in the timeline is more or less "S3&K, but ignore the Super Emerald shit". What's the difference between the two (S3 -> S&K and S3&KBITSES) anyway?

That's why I said that the placement in the timeline is more or less "S3&K, but ignore the Super Emerald shit". What's the difference between the two (S3 _> S&K and S3&KBITSES) anyway?

Guess I misunderstood.  Sorry about that.  ^^

The word "spastic" in some areas, particularly in the UK, literally means "retarded," and the word "spaz" is basically shorthand for retard.  It's not a slur towards people who suffer from epilepsy or are prone to seizures, but towards mental disabled people in general.

I can understand the confusion. In America, the word is referring to something or someone that's shaking or jumping around all over the place, not someone who's handicapped. Sorry for the confusion.

Spaz was a word in Mario Party 8. It was recalled in Europe because of it.

It's taken a lot less lightly here, definitely.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you do recover the Master Emerald in the Super Sonic ending. It's also the only ending that shows the rogue Eggrobo reactivating, which teases Knuckles' story.

The problem is, what is the actual narrative purpose of Hyper Sonic? Super Sonic is easy enough to explain; most games that use Super Sonic in their climax have the characters finding and juggling the Chaos Emeralds throughout the game, such that they're never all in one place. But when things are at their darkest, they all come together, and a miracle happens: Super Sonic. Where would Hyper Sonic fit into this, in both a functional and narratively meaningful way?

Hyper Sonic is ultimately just a DBZ powerup, it doesn't actually add anything to the story, it just lets the characters punch harder so they can punch stronger bad guys.

Oh, you know what? I think I might have gotten that mixed up with Tails' ending with just the chaos emeralds.