Awoo.

Sonic fangame in the works :3

sonicfandude

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you all know that a new sonic fangame is in the works! The game will have a similar art style to the sonic after, and before the sequel, and will have music by talents such as s0lvo and shirojyuu! The game will be a mix between sonic rush styled gameplay, and classic style platforming, along with 3d special stages. I will be releasing updates, screenshots, and videos up here on the ssmb. But for now, I will leave you all with a beta screenshot (its in beta, so its not done 0-0)

post-7024-0-42255200-1404103562_thumb.pn

There's some really wierd perspective fuckups going on with your background there. Unless those bushes immediately behind Sonic are supposed to be completely flat, it looks like that river thing is overlapping them for some reason, when it should be on a layer behind them. The furthest trees look like they are growing directly out of the water too, which just doesn't look right.

Speaking personally, I'm not sure how I feel about mixing a snowy mountain background with a grassy level trope, and the river could definently use some extra detail to make it look like less of a flat, dull reflection, too.

Speaking personally, I'm not sure how I feel about mixing a snowy mountain background with a grassy level trope

This game takes place in Kansas obviously.

Because our weather does this crap all the damn time.

Have to agree with Blacklisting on the perspective oddities. You have background trees that are covered up by the lake. You either have to bring those in front of the lake or -if you wanted to have trees behind the lake- you have to use sprites of smaller tree trunks.

I think the HUD looks alright though.

This game takes place in Kansas obviously.

Because our weather does this crap all the damn time.

I can vouch for this. For the four years my family was in Wichita we had a year upon which it snowed in April. :/

There's some really wierd perspective fuckups going on with your background there. Unless those bushes immediately behind Sonic are supposed to be completely flat, it looks like that river thing is overlapping them for some reason, when it should be on a layer behind them. The furthest trees look like they are growing directly out of the water too, which just doesn't look right.

Speaking personally, I'm not sure how I feel about mixing a snowy mountain background with a grassy level trope, and the river could definently use some extra detail to make it look like less of a flat, dull reflection, too

The background is still in progress, so I am still working on depth issues XD 

also, The trees wont be that snowy later on, I am just using those as a placeholder at the moment.

and I havent added edges to the bushes yet, so It looks like the water is overlapping it XD

Have to agree with Blacklisting on the perspective oddities. You have background trees that are covered up by the lake. You either have to bring those in front of the lake or -if you wanted to have trees behind the lake- you have to use sprites of smaller tree trunks.

I think the HUD looks alright though.

I can vouch for this. For the four years my family was in Wichita we had a year upon which it snowed in April. :/

I am actually going to put the trees inbetween the background bushes (the ones next to the mountains)

Speaking personally, I'm not sure how I feel about mixing a snowy mountain background with a grassy level trope, and the river could definently use some extra detail to make it look like less of a flat, dull reflection, too.

and one more thing, the river is actually animated, with paralax scrolling and all XD so It looks much more lively with animation

and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ-X0fzqAFk

here is a low as fuck quality video for the game XD

(ps. dont remind me, i'm still working on the background scrolling for the game, so the bushes move very fast for some reason XD)

How long have you been developing the game? The game looks nice so far, but it also looks early in development. 

Also, is this game running on a custom engine that you made?

Sonic seems a little slow. Also, I don't think you're using the right sprite for the grind rails. Shouldn't it be these ones?

StWOcBr.png

How long have you been developing the game? The game looks nice so far, but it also looks early in development. 

Also, is this game running on a custom engine that you made?

this game has been in development for 2 weeks XD

and also, the engine is custom built, and will be open source once the game is done :D

Sonic seems a little slow. Also, I don't think you're using the right sprite for the grind rails. Shouldn't it be these ones?

StWOcBr.png

0-0 I didnt know those existed, and also, sonic will be much faster in the finished version.

ohhh noo

sonic rush mechanics

but not sonic rush level design or artstyle.

hnnnnggh.

Just kidding, this is looking great so far. I like the engine and how it handles, but S0LV0 and Shiro are not making the music for your game, it's their own personal project and they basically just let you borrow some tracks, so you'll need permission from Sean Evans (Lone) as he composed some of the tracks in the conceptual OST.

Also where is that windy hill piano video you promised?

ohhh noo

sonic rush mechanics

but not sonic rush level design or artstyle.

hnnnnggh.

Just kidding, this is looking great so far. I like the engine and how it handles, but S0LV0 and Shiro are not making the music for your game, it's their own personal project and they basically just let you borrow some tracks, so you'll need permission from Sean Evans (Lone) as he composed some of the tracks in the conceptual OST.

Also where is that windy hill piano video you promised?

0-0  ITS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and I already got sean in on the project too XD

and technicly this is s0lv0, shiro, and seans game, as they are pretty much choosing what happens in the entire game XD

AND ALSO, i CANT FIND A FREAKING CAMERA FOR THE LIFE OF ME, SO THE VIDEO WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL i CAN GET ONE XD

Mr-Nosey.jpg

I'm going to be really nosey...

Can I just ask, who's going to be doing the sprites in this game? Do you plan on reusing/editing existing art assets, or creating your own?

Also, this is officially endorsed by the guys working on the OST? Or are you just making the levels to suit the soundtrack (bit of a reverse situation there...)?

I can dab my hand into a bit of sprite editing, if you're on the lookout, but I have my own projects I have to commit to.

Mr-Nosey.jpg

I'm going to be really nosey...

Can I just ask, who's going to be doing the sprites in this game? Do you plan on reusing/editing existing art assets, or creating your own?

Also, this is officially endorsed by the guys working on the OST? Or are you just making the levels to suit the soundtrack (bit of a reverse situation there...)?

I can dab my hand into a bit of sprite editing, if you're on the lookout, but I have my own projects I have to commit to.

1: for the sprites, most of it will be sonic after the sequel style, in terms of heavily editing previous sprites to look different, but I will have some original sprites in it made by silversawesome on deviantart.

2: actually, none XD

im actually working for them on the game, and I am taking directions from them, so I am not being endorsed on the ost, or making it myself with their soundtracks, I just volunteered to make it for them, and they gave me all the instructions XD