Awoo.

Mesmerist

Hi all!

I'm just starting this topic up because it's one that I enjoy a lot but haven't really seen discussed. When an event called Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) 2013 was brought to my attention, it got me hooked on watching speedruns of all kinds. Of course, among my favorite speedrunners are those who involve themselves with Sonic the Hedgehog games; runners like werster, DarkspineSonic, Paraxade, and bertin.

Have any of you checked out any of these runs? Werster's Sonic 3 and Knuckles run with Mike89 and Paraxade or Darkspinesonic's Sonic '06 runs are especially entertaining to me. Let me know what you think!

I think my fastest no emerald, glitchless run in Sonic 1 was 28:22 or so. Will have to check.

I've never done a speedrun for an entire game, but if it counts for anything I've held the world record for the desert ruins boss on Lost World 3DS for a good 8 months now :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Bad quality videos of my speed runs

MODERN PLANET WISP SPEEDRUN (03.02.91) + bloopers: http://youtu.be/6cjANm3fC2s

Not my best one. I got just under 3 minutes. This was the only recorded one

modern rooftop run speed run: http://youtu.be/_c1AYaJbPr8

Some if you guys might remember this if you were in the generations tourney

I've never done a speedrun for an entire game, but if it counts for anything I've held the world record for the desert ruins boss on Lost World 3DS for a good 8 months now tongue.png

blink.png Whoa. WHOA!

Like on an in-game worldwide leaderboard? Can you give us a pic of that?

On my old channel I did this. Held the world record for about a month. I think it's still in the top 10 but it's definitely not the fastest anymore. The big problem was that I can't do D-Speed for shit in Generations so I had to rely on cramming in as many M-Speed jumps instead.

Still proud of the outcome though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnI1xszJBw

(lol, the cheesy 'Thank you very much for watching!' at the end)

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking about starting to attempt speedruns actually. I would have to practice a lot though, since I haven't played some Sonic games in quite some time. I usually end up watching Cosmo speedrun Ocarina of Time and I still lose my sh*t at how good he is.

I watch speed runs every once in a while, it's crazy on how people like DSS make them. The game I can speed run is Rivals 2 since it's my first Sonic game so I can speed run it pretty easily.

• 10 months later...

Here is my recent Sonic 1 speedrun with all Chaos Emeralds. A few mistakes, but overall, it is about as short a game as Knuckles' run in Sonic & Knuckles without Sonic 3.

I love watching Sonic speed runs. I watch them when I don't have much else to do, or in another window so I can half-watch while I'm writing and what not. Watching a speed run of Sonic Heroes made me re-appreciate the game a little more (which carried over when I went back and played the game myself.

Having never finished Sonic 06 (for obvious reasons), maybe I'll give Darkspinesonic's speed run a watch so I can experience it in a new light.

I beat Green Hill Act 2 (sonic 1) in 29 seconds on my first try...no joke! i got really lucky jumping over everything without stopping...and then i got a game over on the boss cause i was being to reckless and didn't even know I had "lives" lol@!

EDIT: looks like THIS just happened 3 hours ago (i don't know if its world record, but it looks pretty close!)

I...I just love that ending....lol jk, this is an awesome game!

• 4 months later...