Awoo.

Difference of characters between versions?

nintega137

I was wondering how do the characters change depending on whether it's english or japanese?

This isn't just for the recent games(this includes the older ones too, starting with sonic adventure). I know that there were translation differences but I can't quite tell what they're saying in the original japanese version at least not all the time. What little of japanese I do know has shown me that the dialogue is completely different. 

So how do the characters, especially sonic differ between languages?

As far as I know there's nothing like personality changes between versions.

Sonic says a lot more Engrish in Japanese, but that's it.

Characters use different Japanese pronouns to refer to themselves i.e Sonic's "Ore", Tails' and Shadow's "Boku" etc. This has the effect of somewhat establishing their attitudes. From the general gist I get, Sonic seems a tad more polite in Japanese than his English self.

Chip refers to himself in the third person in JP Unleashed.

Sonic likes to nickname Knuckles "Nakko"

Emerl's dialogue in Battle was rendered in Katakana rather than Hiragana or Kanji. It discerns his speech as distinctly different from the other characters and carries-across his robotic nature.

Omochao always finishes his sentences with "Chao" in Japanese. This is not so in English.

Characters use different Japanese pronouns to refer to themselves i.e Sonic's "Ore", Tails' and Shadow's "Boku" etc. This has the effect of somewhat establishing their attitudes. From the general gist I get, Sonic seems a tad more polite in Japanese than his English self.

Adding to this, Eggman's very impolite in Japanese. He refers to himself as "Dr. Eggman-sama," which roughly translates to the incredibly self-aggrandizing "Lord Doctor Eggman."

Incidentally, Chikao Otsuka - Eggman's Japanese voice actor - was also the dub voice of classic cartoon villain Dick Dastardly. Here's Otsuka singing a merry tune in Eggman's unmistakable voice:

• Thumbs Up 1

Adding to this, Eggman's very impolite in Japanese. He refers to himself as "Dr. Eggman-sama," which roughly translates to the incredibly self-aggrandizing "Lord Doctor Eggman."

Orbot also refers to him as Eggman-Sama as well.

Speaking of Eggman's robots, Cubot had different accents/mannerisms stemming from his faulty voice chip in the Japanese versions of Colours and Lost World. One of them is a Sumo wrestler.

It's not impolite if it's true.  :P

Actually, that's kinda interesting. But is that really impolite? It just seems arrogant more than anything. Unless considering yourself as that great is a very, very cultural no-no over there. Here, it's just egotistical.

It'd be impolite, yes, and I don't think just in japan. Imagine him demanding on serious business meetings he's treated as President of the United States Doctor Eggman instead.

It's not impolite if it's true.  tongue.png

Actually, that's kinda interesting. But is that really impolite? It just seems arrogant more than anything. Unless considering yourself as that great is a very, very cultural no-no over there. Here, it's just egotistical.

In Japan, referring to oneself with any honorific is impolite. Just calling oneself [Name]-san (i.e. "Mr." or "Ms.") is generally considered bad form over there. Politeness dictates simply referring to yourself by your name with no title, while addressing others (especially those you don't know very well) with a title. So the fact that Eggman not only uses a title to refer to himself, but also uses an incredibly aggrandizing one at that, makes him come across as rather boorish and arrogant. 

But really, I just love how clunky "Lord Doctor Eggman" sounds. It's egotism at the expense of good taste or brevity, which also suits Eggman perfectly.