Awoo.

The Stanley Parable

Wentos

Me and two friends played this game a few months ago. One of my friends ended up getting so pissed off at the game, you could say "Stanley" in the narrator's accent and he'd cringe.

Anyway, hearing the narrator interact with your decisions is definitely what makes the game for me; he adopts this really sarcastic, witty, sardonic sort of tone especially when you deviate from his intended story path and it's generally pretty funny and enjoyable.

Super funny game, though I admit having got all the endings, it doesn't have too much appeal beyond that.  It was a solid piece of interactive comedy though, no doubt.

I think my fave moments were just how intense the detonation countdown was (especially compared to the original mod's version of this ending), pretty much any route that totally messed with your head via impossible map geometry (I know how they did it thanks to commentary mode in Portal 2, but was still great fun), the ending where the entire game universe gets broken to hell and back (if I recall it's the ending that actually ends with a special credits sequence) and of course, the broom closet (including the gag that eventually occurs if you visit the broom closet on multiple playthroughs in one session).

Oh, so hey, Left 4 Dead fans, I highly recommend playing this community campaign. It's a solid, fun campaign and is fancanonically set between the military base portion of the comic and The Sacrifice campaign itself.  There's a gnome hidden somewhere on the destroyed bridge in the first chapter, and if you take it to an area near the safe room in the second chapter you might just find an extremely substantial easter egg based on a certain other Source Engine game complete with exclusive voicework from the official voice actor for the narration of said other Source Engine game...

It seems pretty interesting. Out of curiosity, though, what would its ESRB rating be, if it had one?

It seems pretty interesting. Out of curiosity, though, what would its ESRB rating be, if it had one?

I dunno, probably T. It might go over the heads of young'uns, and I forget how much swearing or violence is present, though I'd say not much.

Oh, so hey, Left 4 Dead fans, I highly recommend playing this community campaign.

don't we have a L4D topic for this tho

The game contains very infrequent mild swearing (I can only recall one instance of a swear word and it's used to great effect) and allusions to concepts of suicide in one ending (it makes sense in context/sounds worse than it is etc).  Would prolly be suitable for 12's and up really.  You'd prolly need to be at least that old to appreciate the dry, black comedy and themes anyway.

I dunno, probably T. It might go over the heads of young'uns, and I forget how much swearing or violence is present, though I'd say not much.

The game contains mild swearing and allusions to concepts of suicide in one ending (it makes sense in context/sounds worse than it is etc).  Would prolly be suitable for 12's and up really.  You'd prolly need to be at least that old to appreciate the dry, black comedy and themes anyway.

Thank you both, I'll think about grabbing it. I'm only asking because I like to show games with humor to my younger siblings. This game sounds fine though. biggrin.png

I was trying to be jokingly subtle about it but basically that campaign

has a massive Stanley Parable easter egg in it featuring voicework from the narrator made especially for the campaign, thus was recommending it to folks here who own L4D and want a little more Stanley Parable in their life

• Thumbs Up 1

has a massive Stanley Parable easter egg in it featuring voicework from the narrator made especially for the campaign, thus was recommending it to folks here who own L4D and want a little more Stanley Parable in their life

whoop

sorry about that

my concept of subtly is more like

tumblr_md5egvGgxz1rjpf3yo1_400.gif

carry on and download that mod folks

• Thumbs Up 1

Big fan of Stanley Parable, but I've never played Left 4 Dead, so thanks for the heads-up.