Awoo.

Sonic The Fighters (Sonic Championship)

CapnWTF

I noticed there was no topic for this game, so here it is! This is for discussing the old arcade/console fighting game Sonic the Fighters, also known as Sonic Championship. (it was also re-released for 360/PS3 not that long ago)

So I personally enjoyed this game. I know it's not all that great, but I figured I would get the ball rolling by asking what you liked, or hated, about this game? What do you think about a sequel? Who do you think should be in it?

I like the music and look of the game. The control is pretty good, the game has lots of charm in the all the animations and some of the moves you can do...the only thing I hate about the game is how cheap Metal Sonic is. Everyone else in arcade mode is ranges from easy to normal difficulty...Metal Sonic just sky rockets up in comparison...and then Eggman is too easy in comparison. Arcade mode is pretty...lame and the only part of the game I don't really like.

• Thumbs Up 1

And this marks the first appearance of Amy's (Or Rosy The Rascal's) "Piko Piko Hammer". I love this game I have it on Gems Collection. It's s0 flipping hard to get Super Sonic though.

And the special music if you pit Sonic & Knuckles together

• Thumbs Up 1

To me, the game was so horrible that it was actually fun. Unbalancing, extremely useless combos and all, it's always fun to laugh with my friends as we mash the A button over and over.

But seriously, this game is more of a joke then an actual fighting game. If they decide to make a sequel, it should go to the hands of people who know how to make good fighting games.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me, the game was so horrible that it was actually fun. Unbalancing, extremely useless combos and all, it's always fun to laugh with my friends as we mash the A button over and over.

But seriously, this game is more of a joke then an actual fighting game. If they decide to make a sequel, it should go to the hands of people who know how to make good fighting games.

What's funny about that, though, was that SEGA made the "Virtua Fighters" series to very positive feedback. And "Fighting Vipers" which also starred Bark and Bean. But I'm getting off topic here. Sorry.

What's funny about that, though, was that SEGA made the "Virtua Fighters" series to very positive feedback. And "Fighting Vipers" which also starred Bark and Bean. But I'm getting off topic here. Sorry.

Yes, they spent time and money on those games, which were pretty popular and extremely fun. For this game though, they put little effort in Sonic the Fighters, which is sad because it could had been a decent (If not great) game.

The only good thing about this game is the music. The rest is unbalanced arcade bullshit.

I HIGHLY disagree I think this game is great music and everything

• 1 year later...

It's not exactly a great game, but I like it. I like the fun, bright, comedic, blocky visual style and how the characters manage to be entertaining and full of personality without saying a word. The music is also pretty great, especially Never Let it Go (Metal Sonic) and Fire Stone (Sonic). Don't know why this is one of the only Sonic games where instrumental soundtracks have names! Plus, I find the game rather fun to play, even if it's not fantastically well-designed.

It's also one of the few video games that short enough for me to actually bother finishing it, ha xD

Easiest game I swear to 100% achievement/trophy. I mean it took me like an hour I think or less lol. 

The he game itself is meh. I like lots of fighting games so that's probably why I dont care for this one all that much. Give me street fighter, soul Calibur, or MvC anyday over this. The combat was way too unbalanced for my liking, secret stuff wasn't all that interesting tbh, it got stale super fast, and the online in the psn/xbla versions when I played it at launch was dead. Music was nice though.

Loved it ever since I got it on Sonic Gems, though I think I may have played it as a kid in an arcade somewhere once.

Great music, snapped up the soundtrack when I was in Japan and is one of my favs, gameplay is...ok. Probably pretty good for its time and good for a Sonic game. Plus the fact it's the only title where you can play as my all time favourite Sonic character; Nack! And it has Bean and Bark in it too for added awesome. Definitely a fun little game and was glad it was made more available to everyone. Really wish they'd do this again with more of the obscure Sonic games yet to see a console re-release.

I enjoy the game.

Is it the best fighting game or even close to it? No. The balancing is rather questionable as it becomes a mash A fest with some characters, but I still have fun with it. The achievements were really damn easy to get though.

The best thing about the game is no doubt, the music. I like the graphical style as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would really love it if they decided to make a new sonic fighter with the technology we have now, it would be great. But the way sega is heading, this will never happen.

Uh, he was playable in two titles, the other being Sonic Drift 2.

Some might say that just a car racing game isn't really playable. I consider playable when you can actually play as the character and not just them in a vehicle.

I would really love it if they decided to make a new sonic fighter with the technology we have now, it would be great. But the way sega is heading, this will never happen.

It'll be cooler if Sega makes a cross-over fighter in the Virtua Fighter style (i just wanna see what happens when Akira and Ryo Hazuki hits each other with their elbows okay ?)

It'll be cooler if Sega makes a cross-over fighter in the Virtua Fighter style (i just wanna see what happens when Akira and Ryo Hazuki hits each other with their elbows okay ?)

And it's even cooler that we would like to see them in Project X Zone 2 than that, but the problem is Yu Suzuki took Shenmue franchise from Sega for now.

I'd prefer only sonic characters, because that will give them a chance to use the ones who haven't appeared in awhile.

Most notable thing from this game for me has always been its squash and stretch, even today barely any games do these sorts of things mid gameplay. 

Probably the oddest thing about how it plays has to be the way they limited blocking, a lot of other fighting games have done similar things, but never so on the nose, and when it is used it's usually a thing for 2D fighting games. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Most notable thing from this game for me has always been its squash and stretch, even today barely any games do these sorts of things mid gameplay. 

Oh yeah, I love that squash-n-stretch! A creative way to give it a fun, cartoony feel. 

I love Sonic the Fighters, is one of my favorites Sonic Games, I have in Sonic Gems Collection (PS2) and in MAME (Emulator) Have some differences between versions, but in General is very good, I would like the game to come to the PC. I would also a continuation

It ain't no Virtua Fighter 2, but it certainly was not a bad fighter (but their are some real cheap stuff in it), through I think a Sonic Fighting game would benefit more as a 2D Fighter rather than a 3D one, same said for if theirs ever a SEGA all-star Fighter. 

Speaking of which, I know Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax was meant to be a Anime Fighter, but the fact that the stage backgrounds are Sega theme plus Akira and Selvaria Bles being playable in it just makes me want a SEGA Fighter even more.