Awoo.

Sonic Runners (iOS/Android) - Thread Version 2.0

Cola

No one is arguing that the meta factor of the game, whatever it is, has changed. Rather, it's that said change was NOT made for the better.

This is probably my last rant about this game for a long while. I'm trying to think what's going on in Sega's lost mind. I left Sonic Runners months ago because I think the game is terrible, gaining RSRs is extremely hard for an average player like me and I'm not going to spend 4 hours per day on a game like this that in return I get crappy rewards (useless buddies).

So Sega in their office should be thinking "What can we do to bring Ming Ming back?". Because if we get them back to playing Sonic Runners, they'll spread the word about the game = more $$$ for us!!! A win-win for Sega! Did they think that? 

Hell noooo. They did the opposite. In fact, they shoved a middle finger to my face, turned around and were thought  "What can we do to exploit our existing Runners fanbase?"

"Because if they have ridden our past storms already and survived, they'll most likely survive our next one!"

So they came out with this update. Let me tell you something guys. I don't want to say this because this may sound mean - but this is your fault that Runners has become what it is now. By continuing to log in and play Sonic Runners, you are telling them it is okay on what they're doing. They are forcing you in to a corner to fork in more cash to them, and instead of taking a stand you are letting them force you to that corner.

We can talk shit about Sonic Runners all day on how bad it has become and how it was good, but guess what? They don't care! They are willing to ride the negative feedback as long you still log back in to that game and spend your hours on it. The game only exists for money (and to tear our Sonic loving hearts).

I'm only saying this because I care for you guys. Sega is testing you. They want to keep pushing the boundaries. Stop playing this game. Like, right now. They'll only start to listen if we stop playing and their profits decrease. If you don't, you'll send the message to them that it's a superb upgrade and find more ways to make it worse. Don't think eventually this game will get better if you continue to play.

Does Sonic Runners have a 24 hour cooldown timer ?

24 hour cooldown timer? Is that all you look at? The fact you are even saying this tells me you are satisfied with this change.

The main thing I liked about this game is that you could last ridiculously long if you were skilled. With unavoidable (or at least within reason, might need a bit more testing) obstacles, that element of the game is gone, so I might leave as well. The game doesn't seem like it'll be fun anymore, so why continue to play it?

Though I'll admit my 5 spin turned out very well.

image.png

Btw, did O-Papa always destroy terrain? I just now got him so I don't know if it was changed in the update or if it always did that despite the description claiming it doesn't. I would've been done for if I wasn't using a Fly type. 

Edited by Jrodt333
  • Thumbs Up 2

I guess I'm going to be the second (and last) one here to defend the new update. I'll probably get shat on but allow me to share my perspective. 

The only really big issue here I see is the spiked walls, because those kind of defeat the purpose of making the game an "endless" runner. But I think they did this, along with the nerfs and limit breaks as a means of balancing out the game. 

Before the update, we had players who could run on foreeeevvveerrr and have completely overpowered companions, thus breaking the game and making it unfair for less skilled players. Now, they've practically reset the game. Everyone is more or less on an equal level, and you'll have to take advantage of the pathways and companion matching to suit your gameplay. Before it was "Oh, I'll use this totally OP character with the immensely broken Boo and King Boom Boo combo", now it's more like "Hm, well I have a Sonic at level 2 limit break.. and this level 6 Skull Chao..", you know? The new system is less of a broken exploitable mess. 

I don't totally agree on the decision, but it makes sense if you think about it. And for those complaining about the RSR, you can still get them during daily missions, daily logins, and daily Timed Mode rankings. Now, I feel most people would enjoy it if a "Endless Mode" was added where it's just like before the update but with no rankings, to compensate for the change they did. I feel though, in the end, this update will be liked more in the long term. It's just this sudden shift and technical "reset" that threw everyone off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Before the update, we had players who could run on foreeeevvveerrr and have completely overpowered companions, thus breaking the game and making it unfair for less skilled players.

The game is still unfair to the less skilled players and probably even worse for the new players.

So they came out with this update. Let me tell you something guys. I don't want to say this because this may sound mean - but this is your fault that Runners has become what it is now. By continuing to log in and play Sonic Runners, you are telling them it is okay on what they're doing. They are forcing you in to a corner to fork in more cash to them, and instead of taking a stand you are letting them force you to that corner.

No, you're not telling them it's okay on what they're doing by just playing the game, you're telling them it's okay by actually forking in the cash, by not playing the game you're just telling them that the game's shit for some unspecified reason, but by playing the game and not forking in the cash you're telling them that "Hey the game's fun but i'm not falling for your obvious cash grubbing", so that when they check up on the game's stats they'll go "Hmmm, turns out trying to squeeze money out of our players was a waste of time, let's save time and not do that"

Edited by NoirSuede
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, you're not telling them it's okay on what they're doing by just playing the game, you're telling them it's okay by actually forking in the cash, by not playing the game you're just telling them that the game's shit for some unspecified reason.

Where do you think most of their money is coming from in the game?

And they'll know the reason. They have common sense. Or they'll ask or research on why the activity has dropped.

Edited by Ming Ming Yuigahama

I'm actually surprised you guys held on this long to a mobile game riddled with microtransactions just because there hasn't been a Sonic game to play, and then cry foul when the game started doing things to further encourage you to pay in pickle nickles for red rings and characters.

Like, come on. I know you may have had fun before and are not now (perfectly reasonable), but you should've seen it coming for miles.

On another note I've been waiting on the next Sonic as much as anyone else but I can't find the want to play this game at all. I've literally never played this game and I don't think I will, cuz.. yeah the quality and end product of this kind of game should've been apparent to everyone, no? 

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm actually surprised you guys held on this long to a mobile game riddled with microtransactions just because there hasn't been a Sonic game to play, and then cry foul when the game started doing things to further encourage you to pay in pickle nickles for red rings and characters.

Like, come on. I know you may have had fun before and are not now (perfectly reasonable), but you should've seen it coming from miles.

On another note I've been waiting on the next Sonic as much as anyone else but I can't find the want to play this game at all. I've literally never played this game and I don't think I will, cuz.. yeah the quality and end product of this kind of game should've been apparent to everyone, no? 

The reason people want to play the game is more playable friends. Its true people have say it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason people want to play the game is more playable friends. Its true people have say it. 

And also because all of the playable friends except for Team Easy are straight upgrades from Sonic/Tails/Knuckles

So x3 x5 give you 3/5 byddues/characters? Are you able to get 2 or more charcters with a x5 spin?

Also, i agree with electric. I hated the OP characters with +5 hours per run. But they nerfed a little too much.

I never play this game and I read the comments and I want to what the appeal for this game is other then no having to look at Sonics blue ass.

Seriously though, you guys are willing to put up with a game purposely built not to be a good game but to be a money-and-time-sink, and get extremely frustrated over it (or whole-heartedly defend it (?!?!?!))... all for the want of other playable characters, or a Sonic game to play?

Silly. Just silly.

You guys should play some other games. I personally recommend Undertale (best game this year by a landslide), or Read Only Memories, Rocket League, or something else. Heck, go play NiGHTS into Dreams if you haven't yet. Much better game, a bit of Sonic Team's best, you get your money's worth yadda yadda yadda. Much better usage of time than attempting to get invested in a game with as much depth and genuinity as Angry Birds or Temple Run.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, I decided to hop on Runners and see what the update's all about after not playing for a while now. I have no idea of the specifics of what all has changed, but on my first run I got like 13,000,000 points and thus, broke my own personal record. I've been hearing people say like everything ever got nerfed, so I have no idea how that happened lmao.

At any rate, the death traps in the top speed sections are absolutely awful. Like, I've always hated that if I wanted a good score, I had to sit down and play for extremely long periods of time for a mobile game... but using unavoidable obstacles to end my run before it gets crazy long is just fucking lazy. I have to wonder how that meeting went "Oh gee guys, people are able to run for way longer than we intended, what should we do about it?" "Kill them once they hit top speed." "You're a genius."

Like if they're just gonna kill us once we hit top speed, what's even the point of letting us continue running??? If you get killed by one of those unavoidable obstacles, it still lets you spend red rings to revive yourself, despite the fact that death is now guaranteed. That's bad design, and that's sleazy. Shame on you, Sega. They may as well just make getting past Top Speed the "Goal" and have it end there if they're going to go this route. That would at least be more fair than this.

Like, come on. I know you may have had fun before and are not now (perfectly reasonable), but you should've seen it coming from miles.

Listen here burgerpants, I think everyone probably saw this coming in some form or another, but it's still worth getting mad about. Companies love it when they can pull garbage like this and people just accept it, so overall, I think people being vocally upset about this update is a good thing. Nothing gets done if no one says anything. Not that I think Sega will hear any of us and do something about it, but hey.

i had to call you burgerpants im sorry

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, I decided to hop on Runners and see what the update's all about after not playing for a while now. I have no idea of the specifics of what all has changed, but on my first run I got like 13,000,000 points and thus, broke my own personal record. I've been hearing people say like everything ever got nerfed, so I have no idea how that happened lmao.

Characters and companions were rebalanced to compensate for the new scoring system. 13 mil is nothing now if you compare it to the episode complete threshold which is 97.5 mil. The good companions were nerfed directly and indirectly (Shahra, King Arthur, Battle Cruiser) while others were buffed significantly again directly and indirectly (Light Chaos). Also most premium roulette characters were straight up nerfed. There is little to no advantage of taking one of them over Team Hero since Distance bonus is actually good now.

Edited by PurinxPop
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seriously though, you guys are willing to put up with a game purposely built not to be a good game but to be a money-and-time-sink, and get extremely frustrated over it (or whole-heartedly defend it (?!?!?!))... all for the want of other playable characters, or a Sonic game to play?

Silly. Just silly.

You guys should play some other games. I personally recommend Undertale (best game this year by a landslide), or Read Only Memories, Rocket League, or something else. Heck, go play NiGHTS into Dreams if you haven't yet. Much better game, a bit of Sonic Team's best, you get your money's worth yadda yadda yadda. Much better usage of time than attempting to get invested in a game with as much depth and genuinity as Angry Birds or Temple Run.

Hell Temple Run is basically a better version of this. PLay that

• Thumbs Up 2

Nothing gets done if no one says anything. Not that I think Sega will hear any of us and do something about it, but hey.

Then what's the difference?

The backlash is only going to last for about maximum a week, then things will be back to normal with everyone logging in back to play the game. Sega successfully pushed the boundaries further. 

Hell Temple Run is basically a better version of this. PLay that

serioulsy play anything else. or replay the same games with the same stuff you like. 

Then what's the difference?

The backlash is only going to last for about maximum a week, then things will be back to normal with everyone logging in back to play the game. Sega successfully pushed the boundaries further. 

It's still better than people seeing garbage like this happen and going "Oh, okay, I'm getting fucked over. That's fine, it was bound to happen anyway." As far as I'm concerned, I had already stopped playing, and now with this update I never intend to play again.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's still better than people seeing garbage like this happen and going "Oh, okay, I'm getting fucked over. That's fine, it was bound to happen anyway." 

I'm still scratching my head on how is that any better. In fact, saying that is better than being a hypocrite.

Eh, if I had the capability of playing the game (my phone can't support it), I'd still be on it. As long as it doesn't make things completely locked behind pay walls, I have patience. 

Also I thought NiGHTS into Dreams was terrible but that's neither here nor there. :P

Edit: Also Mephiles might be in the game at a future date but that's off-topic.

I didn't know he was coming. *searches Twitter* Oh my! Santa Sonic too?! Time to save up them RSR.

This game is going to get so packed. 

• Thumbs Up 2