Awoo.

Sonic Runners (iOS/Android) - Thread Version 2.0

Cola

Now YOU listen here, Metal Sonic.

i just wanted an excuse to do it back, not jumping at you lmao :y

I know throwing people under the bus with these problems is something to be frustrated with, because it wasn't like that before and it shows just how cheap they're willing to go with this. I mean yeah, if suddenly a game I was playing did that to me, I'd be pretty buttflustered something fierce.

But that's the thing. I'd be playing a console game, or a 3DS game maybe. This is a whole nother ballpark.

These are games made for casuals, dudes and dudettes (and dudios for genderfluid and agender friendos). These are the games where people who play these games like Temple Run and Angry Birds and etc are to walk in and have so little commitment for good games and great experiences that they'll take anything given to them that'd be a nice time-waster.

Sonic Runners, despite being "made by Sonic Team" (it has so little people from it that it's only made by them in name) is built for these people. They walk in, they see Sonic, they like Sonic but have no commitment, and are absolutely willing to get suckered into buying shit cuz they like other charac--

You know what? I get it now.

You guys are the suckers! Anyone who actually let themselves get invested in this game are the suckers! I've been preaching progressivism to Westboro the whole time! You feeeelll for it and now you reap what you sow! Get ready for more microtransactions, like one for being allowed to jump more than once in three seconds, cuz it will happen and you'll all be mad and then you'll give them the money anyways (or not, and get mad storming off), but you fell right in as a pawn to their game!

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but I haven't been on here for like 8 days so I'm a little fresh out of the oven. Regardless, It's obvious that time shouldn't have been wasted here in the first place. Play it if you want for funsies, but when a game like this twists your tights with a new way to wring the cash out of your pockets, don't be surprised. After all, you helped it get where it is now, right? :V

Moral of the story: let's all wait on the next Sonic game, kids. In the meantime, let's get away from things that frustrate us without need. Like mobile games with microtransactions.

I feel like this Sonic Runners nonsense is just one part of a bigger issue. Sure, we can just say that mobile games like this are built for casuals and thus mobile games having a lower standard of quality is expected and A-OK, but I think that simplifies a complex issue a little too much. Casual or not, these are still games, and there are still people who play them. Those people deserve better, even if they don't care enough to realize it. To that end, I think that's why getting mad when companies pull crap like this is important. No, it's not news, and no, it's not surprising, but that doesn't matter. Companies love it when their bullshit becomes so predictable that people start ignoring it, and they love it even more when people get tired of hearing about it so they tell the people who still care to stop caring.

At any rate, yeah. Sonic Runners is just gonna keep getting worse. Sega's not gonna stop, because they are a shit, and that's why I'm not gonna play anymore. Speaking with the only voice I have in this situation, my wallet.

...I had more I wanted to say about this because it's a very interesting discussion, but I can't bring all the words together to make a cohesive point, so this is what you get. Pbbttthhhhh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything I've picked up from this update is that there are more negatives than positives. I've seen the negative stuff people talk about with this game and it just makes me lose interest even more in the game. I've never actually played the game and it looks like I shouldn't with all this stacking up against newcomers. As much as I want there to be a game with all the characters together, it should not be like this. If they really wanted to make money, they should have made the game a paid game. At least $9.99-$19.99 should have been the price. It should be 9.99 if they wanted cheap, optional microtransactions and 19.99 if they wanted a full game paid up-front.

Also, they actually did it. They brought back someone from death, or in this case nonexistence.

Seriously, the Babylon Rogues, Marine, and Gemerl still exist and are alive/functioning. Why Mephiles? Who's next? Gamma? Emerl?

• Thumbs Up 1

For misc. playables, it looks like they're using characters who can be quick reskins of others. So characters like Marine or Jet could be feasible, not so sure about the likes of Gemerl.

Pretend this were a steam greenlight game for just a moment. 

Are you KIDDING me?

That means if you use a power/speed type in a fly stage you are 100% screwed.

That means if you use a Anything in a fly stage you are 100% screwed.

Fixed.

Those spike things are drawn completely up the X and Y axis of the frame. 

No way past them unless you use a powerup that grants invincibility/extra hit.

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not surprised at how this update turned out.

Perhaps I'm sort of biased seeing as how I absolutely hate mobile gaming and have never played one but Sonic Runners, to me, is that one game that really contains everything I feel is wrong about mobile gaming. So to see them do this? I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

This is not how to convince people you've changed, SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 7

Fixed.

Those spike things are drawn completely up the X and Y axis of the frame. 

No way past them unless you use a powerup that grants invincibility/extra hit.

The thing is, we can't be 100% sure that the spikes are completely lined up through the Y axis. If there is a "small gap" on the top somewhere (and that's an if, because again, we aren't sure) then only a fly type character can go through it if timed perfectly.

Power and Speed types have zero chance though of surviving that, unless like you said - they are on a powerup.

Of course, you are correct if there really is no gap.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm not surprised at how this update turned out.

Perhaps I'm sort of biased seeing as how I absolutely hate mobile gaming and have never played one but Sonic Runners, to me, is that one game that really contains everything I feel is wrong about mobile gaming. So to see them do this? I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner.

This is not how to convince people you've changed, SEGA.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that, the spike wall thing is probably a bug. 

One thing you have to keep in mind is that, the spike wall thing is probably a bug. 

A bug? Is their quality control/testing team none existent? They must have saw this *if* it was a bug. If I encountered an unavoidable spike wall, so should they.

(And they would have done an announcement by now if it was indeed a bug)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not a bug because the spike wall is preceded by a square of red crystals and spike balls in the formation of X's which signifies your impending death.

A bug? Is their quality control/testing team none existent? They must have saw this *if* it was a bug. If I encountered an unavoidable spike wall, so should they.

(And they would have done an announcement by now if it was indeed a bug)

The info for Story Mode kind of suggests it isn't a bug:

N2KJaFe.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Come on, are you serious?

How could this not be noticed during QA? There's no way this is a bug. I can't believe that there are people who actually defend this update.

• Thumbs Up 4

The info for Story Mode kind of suggests it isn't a bug:

N2KJaFe.png

Too bad there are no buddies we can make good use for surpassing spike walls. And we only get three free passes if we use equippable items.

All these terrible changes and update didn't even had that one thing I would had so much want to have: option to turn of the story-dialogue. I mean, it got little annoying having to manually skip them every time.

CU2TNffWIAAKgO9.thumb.jpg.1cd49a938a1c8b

So Dr.Eggman finally figured out how to defeat Sonic & Gang once and for all! ... And all it took was covering the whole planet in a spike wall... Genius! =P

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay, let's give you the benefit of the doubt that the spike wall is a "bug". What about this?

f17F5Qg.gif

EDIT: And this?

LubqHjW.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Iizuka always said he wanted this to be a game you could pick and play for one or two minutes. Guess he truly is a man of his word, after all.

Wait a moment, what if this has something to do with this "Limit Break"/Star Rank thingy? They did say something about it extending your play time, so maybe this applies for Story Mode as well? Oh, for pete's sake...

• Thumbs Up 1

Too bad there are no buddies we can make good use for surpassing spike walls. And we only get three free passes if we use equippable items.

I'm pretty sure there are a few buddies that destroy spikes/missiles after meeting a certain combo. But it's still more luck then skill.

So let me get this straight. If you don't "make good use" of items and Buddies "obstacles will appear which cause you to make mistakes". What? Huh?

First off how do you make good use of them? Because both have been severely nerfed and are now pointless. Not to mention the vast majority of the items will not help you get past that stuff.

Secondly these are not obstacles. They are obstructions that you cannot dodge and anticipate unless you have two specific powerups that you have to be lucky to get. 95% of the time there is absolutely nothing you can do about them. So you're screwed regardless of what use you make of the items and Buddies.

Thirdly they are not "mistakes". The player has no control over this. They show up with little to no warning and, as I said, the game provides very little to counter the spike walls. And why are we blaming the player for this, anyway? How is that even fair?

What is the freaking logic here? This is bad design. Once again I say that this is not how you convince people you've changed, SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 9