Awoo.

Sonic Runners (iOS/Android) - Thread Version 2.0

Cola

Welp, the North American servers for Runners are gonna get shut down first by this Monday. So you guys only have one day to enjoy the game, RIP IN PASTA!

6 minutes ago, sansy said:

Welp, the North American servers for Runners are gonna get shut down first by this Monday. So you guys only have one day to enjoy the game, RIP IN PASTA!

Well I'm officially PISSED OFF

Edit: Rest in Piece Sonic Runners. You had a good run and I'll never forget the time I had. Since that soft launch to now, it was awesome. I'll be seeing ya

Second Edit: I cried

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, sansy said:

Now I'm glad i live in SEA.

@flaresakithasol quick, have you saved it on an android phone?

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp. This is kinda sad... You know what? Im gonna download Runners again to play it.Good thing that i live in Europe.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sansy said:

Wow, even faster than I expected. NA is not wasting any time washing their hands of this title.

Also, it's worth noting how surprisingly barren that Twitter handle is. If you check the history for it...one tweet in June 2015 for when said handle launched (four days after the game's official release), another tweet in November 2015 (supposedly) for the 2.0 update, a third tweet two days later about the game going down maintenance...and this new tweet today about it shutting down. Nothing about the game's events, or any explicit references to the 2.0 update. And the first tweet from the handle made this year...is the news that the game is going offline the very next day.

A bit hard to believe that's the official NA/US handle for the game, to be honest. So much radio silence from a Twitter account that represents a frequently-updated, online-only mobile game.

And now the tweet about the game's US servers being pulled tomorrow has been deleted.

Very strange.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/sonic_runners_segas_mobile_release_by_the_sonic_team_is_getting_shut_down

"It's proof that brand power alone isn't always enough to guarantee success, and is certain to be a chastening decision for Sonic Team, which has evidently struggled to make the transition to producing a lucrative smart device game."

"Closures like this are a reminder for companies like Nintendo, too - if the gameplay and in-game economy balance isn't right, no amount of recognizable characters is enough to save the day."

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Yarcaz0 said:

Since Sonic Runners is being taken down, does anybody here have save files with all or most of the characters, buddies, events, etc. so that everything can be ripped before the game is taken down?

Apparently Sonic Paradise is doing something like that too. You can join them, unless you're already a part of that team. 

Have you people already gotten a copy of the apk? Pretty sure it's different from the data files. 

11 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/sonic_runners_segas_mobile_release_by_the_sonic_team_is_getting_shut_down

"It's proof that brand power alone isn't always enough to guarantee success, and is certain to be a chastening decision for Sonic Team, which has evidently struggled to make the transition to producing a lucrative smart device game."

It's strange that Sonic Team haven't found more success with mobile, as they were making mobile games on a regular basis long before Apps were even a thing. Sonic Cafe started in 2001 and had new games on a regular basis. 

It's no surprise that the game wasn't successful enough. I liked the game when it works as a game, but I didn't like that half of the time I was asked by the game to pass one banner after another. Bye bye.

And today I just logged in and even got the notification for...

Screenshot_2016-05-30-04-15-42.pngSooooooo... I'm guessing it's Still running

Edited by flaresakithasol
  • Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, caseykz said:

They deleted the tweet...

But Monday is not over.

Are you all talking about the tweet of the account "SonicRunners_US"? Because some people have reason to believe that's just a fake account.

Nooooooo

His World instrumental is pretty goooood.

What happened to Unleeeaashed? 

*insert more whining here*

Jk. Colours soundtrack is the best. They probably want to make good use of the remaining 2 months. Followed by Gens, huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp looks like you US Runners people you can breath easily, I guess. The account appears to be a fake so yeah, you guys still have a good amount of days before it legit shuts down.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/2/2016 at 6:47 AM, flaresakithasol said:

I honestly think they're gonna do reach for the star's instrumental next, ya never know 

I was right :blink:

• Thumbs Up 1

It just urks me that someone would waste their time to completely F with people's feelings.

12 hours ago, big_smile said:

It's strange that Sonic Team haven't found more success with mobile, as they were making mobile games on a regular basis long before Apps were even a thing. Sonic Cafe started in 2001 and had new games on a regular basis. 

I think it's due to lack of interest. If the team has small interest in something the game always comes out lackluster. Remember the Sonic 4 series? Takashi Iizuka stated he wanted to go back to doing what HE wanted to do with Sonic during the series release.

So... There you go.

On 27/05/2016 at 10:38 PM, Chris Knopps said:

My only real issue with this game was the gambling feature. It was a shady way of tip-toeing around the law to introduce the habit to children in a very underhanded manner.

If not for the roulette wheel primarily and the money/gambling focus in general, it would've been alright for me. I enjoyed it now and then for what it's worth, but every single time I played it there was so much "GO TO THE ROULETTE NOW!!!" focus that all I could do was flip SEGA the bird in the end.

No more gambling in my Sonic, thanks.

I think this is kind of a frequently used practice, or at least, PSO2, also made by SEGA, does the same thing.  Premium features are preset purchases, but premium cosmetic items and the like are obtained through randomised scratch-drawings where you can obtain any one of the current set of items (or useful gameplay items) per scratch card.

I don't think there's anything as shady as trying to turn kids into gamblers (kids shouldn't be spending money on mobile games unsupervised regardless), but the basic concept is that if SEGA let you buy exactly what you want, you'd just buy the best items then not spend any more money.  They want you to spend extra so they only give you the ability to buy the right for an OPPORTUNITY to get the item you want.  Sounds really shitty but dress it up as a familiar and fun concept like a roulette wheel and they get away with it.

The system falls flat compared to PSO2 because unlike PSO2, there isn't a community that you can sell unwanted items for with in-game currency to get compensation for unwanted items.

• Thumbs Up 2