Awoo.

Sonic Runners (iOS/Android) - Thread Version 2.0

Cola

Hm, strange how so many people are having problems with the game. For once, the game is running exactly the same as it was before for me. The only difference is a spike in lag that lasts a few seconds every now and then. I mean, the game is overall laggy like it always was but it goes to around 1 frame per 2 seconds for 10 seconds at times. My device has always been getting hot when playing the game, so that's nothing new to me. Kind of odd how you report the device getting so hot, you can't even touch it, Hogfather. That aside, I noticed the game drains my battery even faster now. I had my phone fully charged and in 10 minutes I got a low battery warning. Other times it'd be after around half an hour of play. 

Everything else seems fine, though. I'm ok with the new roulette, and the advertisements aren't anything new either. That's how they were in Sonic Dash and Jump Fever. I do like how after you use the free revive offer, you get a wisp power, a combo bonus, and a magnetic shield. The new experience system is nice, but works way too slow to be efficient. I'd rather use my rings to level my characters up. Everything else, though, I like. The new interface is cool and I like how when it loads, it has Tails explaining the buddy system. New icon and splash screen give a nice "electric" feel to it. Energizing, you could say. 

Edit: Playing on a Galaxy S3 Mini if that's important at all. :V

Got my game all updated to the international version through the Play Store on my Galaxy S3 and retained my data perfectly. Though, I have a question: Where is the Settings menu now? I found it pretty easily on the previous version, but I'm having a hard time for this one. (Keep in mind that certain elements like the level progress line have always been invisible for me.)

doesn't run on my xperia Z3..had no problems playing the beta, though. it crashes instantly after the sega logo.

Game not compatible with my Galaxy tab 4.

Great Sega, you had about 4 months time between soft and full release and launch still seems to be absolute disaster

I'm really puzzled at this point.

I've read through the thread and seen tons of you guys saying that the Android version really fucking sucks now and that it won't really run on anything. The reason why I requested a APK earlier was because I own a Kindle Fire HDX, which if you don't know is a Tablet built on a custom version of Android but without any connection to Google. So no Services, no pre-built YT or anything like that and more specificity, no Play Store. That means I have to hope to god in most cases that when a app comes out that I wanna get, it needs to be available on Amazon's dedicated app store, otherwise i'll have to side-load the Android APK to play it.

So, Sonic Runners updates today and it isn't released on the Amazon Store (it'll be released on there in say, a month or two considering SEGA's track record, but I ain't waiting that long). I wait for the APK to get launched, install it and.. Hmm.

I haven't had ANY issues with Sonic Runners on the Kindle Fire HDX minus a few error messages relating to Google Play Services not being available, but that comes standard when side-loading most games onto your Kindle. It runs as perfectly as previous side-loaded versions did and I haven't had any of the problems with it that you guys are sadly having. I was even able to break my previous top score of around 400,000 into a cool 1 million and I got up to the top of the F 1Star league division.

mRvEfkU.jpg

The volume bar is there to show that I'm playing this on the HDX and totally not because I messed something up with the screenshot. Yep.

So.. I really don't get it. This whole situation can just be summarized as "Let's make a game where the majority of our audience won't be able to play it due to crashes, but we'll allow the people who aren't getting it on their app store to play it flawlessly."

This has been said plenty of times in the thread before (which it really shouldn't of), but I'll say it again to drive the point home.

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER, SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hm, okay, so I played a run with Tails with sound this time and the announcer seems to be working fine. He doesn't say "MUH" to me when I get the Asteroid Wisp. He says "Asteroid!" like usually. :/ Maybe different devices are just experiencing different issues? Because the game is running more or less the same as before launch for me. 

Got my game all updated to the international version through the Play Store on my Galaxy S3 and retained my data perfectly. Though, I have a question: Where is the Settings menu now? I found it pretty easily on the previous version, but I'm having a hard time for this one. (Keep in mind that certain elements like the level progress line have always been invisible for me.)

It should be on the upper right corner. Look at this screenshot. The little gear icon next to the notifications icon. 

getJYOT.png

Also it appears I only got 5 red rings for clearing episode 44-1. :/ Looks like they changed the number for clearing episodes from 10 to 5 in this update. Or did they just decrease normally before? Ah well, in other news it looks like some form of Tails' Tips from Lost World made a return in this update.

4mfw1ME.png

That's cute. :D

Edit: Upon playing some more, I'm no longer getting the battery drains, hot device, or lag spikes. Huh. Maybe my phone had stuff in the background during my first runs with the new version. 

Ah, thanks for that! It was invisible. XD

Just wondering, how foes the data transfer tool work? Could I, for instance, transfer my iOS data to the Android version or am I misunderstanding something?

So I take it that playing the Android version right now is not recommended? How do you fuck up so badly that you make everyone's devices a potential fire hazard? The game isn't even that demanding and requires an internet connection to work. 

Do I actually need to do a TSS update warning users about this game possibly being a fire and health hazard?

Incoming tired SONIC RUNNERS OK jokes

Start up crashes and instant overheating?? Well I guess it's time to change my avatar. Great job, SEGA/Sonic Team C(?)/Hardlight/Dinkleberg. How on earth is the pre-release version more stable than the final product? That's never happened to a Sonic game before...

Do I actually need to do a TSS update warning users about this game possibly being a fire and health hazard?

Yeah, getting your hands roasted 9 seconds after booting up a mobile game probably isn't a pleasant surprise.

Sega stepped up their game. Wow.

The roulette is so much better. No more normal eggs in Special or Premium roulette. You now get normal eggs only in the free spin roulette.

You can now get a continue by watching a video ad.

However for some reason Facebook and Push notification options have been disabled in settings.

I still get push notifications from the game but why disable these? =\

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, I do love this game. 

I thought my passion and love for Sonic died but of all games, it's this mobile game that reignites it. 

Simple good fun. :)

Game runs fine for me on both iPad Air (which has always been the stronger platform even in beta) - and Moto G 4g runs it fine too, I do get the sound cutting error on Android - but tbh I'll take slightly cut off sound effects over the stuttering "whoops just ran you into a wall/ made you miss that jump!" thing that used to happen pre-update. 

I was wondering why Hogfather was complaining about ads when I was only seeing them in continues, then I played my iPad version which has nothing more than the standard 3 revives. When your playing with an auto generated revive token, the game will run an ad at the end of the run. If you have spare facebook revives (or buy a bunch with your red rings) I believe you should be able to avoid the extra ad. 

Honestly IMO it surprised me how generous Runners was while in soft launch. I've played my fair share of freemiums and a bunch of them nickle & dime at every corner + make the in-game "currency" almost non-existent unless you cough up some IAP money. In a standard run in Runners you can usually get 1-2 red rings, more if you have the Battle Cruiser.

I imagine Sega found the majority of players don't ever buy red rings, possibly because they made getting them too easy for players to endure the playing time for them. Game's supposed to be making money, so how do you resolve that? By limiting the Red Ring supply in-game + ensuring "free" players at least pay their way by having some ad sponsorship in there. It was always going to lead to that, only way it wouldn't of is if people had brought red ring bundles.

That said it's always a delicate balance between giving customers what they want, and businesses getting what they need. All I'm saying is people should remember while Runners is free, in order for it to keep improving and adding stuff, it's gotta be making money somehow. 

The compatibility issue is certainly an issue however, I'm hearing if you have a Hudl 2 your out of luck, which is a little weird. That tablets newer than my phone, yet mine runs the game without the heating issue. 

Really loving it so far. There's a couple of teething issues with this update like Facebook integration doesn't seem to be working and some music hiccups. Not a fan of the ads being added either, but overall I think this is a great little game. 

Is it possible for you to test whether it can actually set something on fire?  Pictorial evidence of that would be a highly effective deterrent.

I'm downloading the game in a perfectly good Wi-Fi location, and it still says this:

"Failed to download game. Move to a better Wi-Fi."

And the game has invisible ads. You can hear them, but you can't see them.

So far, from what I'm reading here, this has been one hell of a launch.

Tenouttaten, Sega. Tenouttafuckinten.

Man, I do love this game. 

I thought my passion and love for Sonic died but of all games, it's this mobile game that reignites it. 

Simple good fun. :)

Yours is a really appropriate choice of words.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I take it that playing the Android version right now is not recommended? How do you fuck up so badly that you make everyone's devices a potential fire hazard? 

Well, actually it seems only on some Android devices it's overheating. Ironically, the problem seems to be more common in powerful devices.

How on earth is the pre-release version more stable than the final product? That's never happened to a Sonic game before...

Actually.. Sonic 06 was like that. :V Please don't start jokes.

It kinda saddens me how this launch is just whack. Some people are playing it fine, some aren't. Don't they have to test each revision with as many phones and tablets as they can? I recall someone at Hardlight said that about Sonic Dash. They get a number of devices in each day and test the game on it to make sure there are as little problems as possible. Did Sonic Team not do this? 

How often can we send free revive tokens to friends? I just discovered I can do that xD

However for some reason Facebook and Push notification options have been disabled in settings.

I still get push notifications from the game but why disable these? =\

I saw that too and was wondering the same thing ^^U

I hope SEGA would give us an option to buy something to make our accounts "premium" to eliminate ads :/

You can now get a continue by watching a video ad.

I want to say that this is a good thing, but it really isn't. Ad presence is considerably large and it's actually kind of annoying. Every run I encounter some stupid Game of War ad that is unskippable for like 5 seconds. I don't know who at SEGA thought it was a good idea to turn on ads on a game that people already know didn't have any previously. That could negatively affect people's views on the game.

(At least the roulette wheel is a lot better)

I had very minimal problems on my iPad 2. Loading was less painful for some reason, in favor of areas with tons of spikes and items causing a somewhat odd drop in framerate. the iPad does heat up when playing Runners but not at a level where it's anywhere "Dangerous". Then again, this thing heats up playing Fallout Shelter, so I don't know.

I don't think the phones burning up issue seems to be present on iOS devices, unless I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1