Awoo.

Persona 5

Jin.

And due to that video, we got a clean rip of the boss battle music!

I am in love with this music.

The game is looking just so phenomenal.

So we got more info on the story and gameplay in this week's Famitsu:

Story

• Unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4Persona 5‘s story is designed to be like an “omnibus,” with no one specific enemy or criminal that the team chases after. Like a serial drama TV show, the Phantom Thieves change the targets they chase regularly.
  • A fundamental part of the story is the mystery behind a phone application called “Isekainabi” (“Otherworldnavi” or “Parallel World Navigation”). Using this app, the main characters discover the location of their targets and are able to infiltrate the other world known as “Palace” to steal the hearts of “rotten people.”
  • Unlike the protagonists and their friends in Persona 3 and Persona 4 who become directly involved together to solve a specific incident, the cast of Persona 5 are involved with social reformation and atonement.
  • “Palace” is the other world which responsible behind settings such as an old castle, pyramids, an art gallery, and more. These locations are fundamentally tied to Persona 5‘s background.

Characters

• The protagonist and his friends are troubled, and there is a part of them that feels they have lost their way. Because of this, they devote themselves to using the “Isekinabi” app suddenly granted to them in order to help others.
  • Ryuji Sakamoto meets the main character on the first day of school and kicks off the creation of the Phantom Thief team. His relationship with the protagonist is that of a “bad influence.”
  • Anne Takamaki is restrained in her daily life and feels she has lost her place in the world but, as a Phantom Thief, she is much more lively and energetic.
  • Morgana is the most “thief-like” member of the team and assumes the role of a guide for the other characters.
  • Yusuke Kitagawa has a certain problem of his own he is dealing with, and drama begins when he encounters the other characters. Yusuke, in particular, is tied to the “omnibus-like” story for “world reformation.”

Personas

• Every character’s initial Persona is designed to embody the concept of a “picaresque hero.” Characters awaken to them in specific parts of Palace, the alternate world inside people’s hearts.

Gameplay

• The SNS system seen in the PV03 trailer will have players chatting with other characters using phone text messages. This will allow players to personalize and expand their stories.
  • Players will be able to explore various locations in the Greater Tokyo Area, as seen in trailers.

Development

• Hashino reiterates that the scope of the game is very large, so the development team requires more time to properly finish it.

Persona 5 is slated to be released for the PS3 and PS4 in Japan in Summer 2016, with a 2016 North American release date.

http://personacentral.com/more-persona-5-story-information-detailed-phone-app-used-to-enter-the-other-world/

Now this is very interesting. The way story is told is different than the previous games. I wonder if this omnibus like storytelling will hold true for the endgame as well?  

• 2 months later...

Wait, Persona 5 will have a summer release? That has always been a suicide date for AAA games, the hell is Atlus thinking?

Well, summer in Japan at least. It might come to NA(cause fuck Europe) on a later date. Though considering how fast they've been localizing their games lately, it might come in Summer for NA after all.

But yeah, Atlus sure does have a lot of confidence in P5. If I recall, while Persona is still niche, it still sold a lot of copies right?

Honestly I don't really feel for Square on this, considering they've probably had tons of chances and opportunities to release earlier. I mean they spent years and tons of money on a game that got scrapped and re-done turning off many. That really was mostly on Square.

• 1 month later...

I was recently reading an interview from September where it says that Lupin the III was an influence on the game.

I wasn't really into the series but looking at the trailers and that Lupin is an influence makes me want to try this game out once it comes out. I'm wondering if I should try out some of the previous games though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, El Driver said:

I was recently reading an interview from September where it says that Lupin the III was an influence on the game.

I wasn't really into the series but looking at the trailers and that Lupin is an influence makes me want to try this game out once it comes out. I'm wondering if I should try out some of the previous games though.

Story wise, it's not necessary to play the previous games in order to understand this one. You might miss a few references, but that's about it.

As for gameplay, well, that's tricky. If you don't like turn based RPG's, P5 is not for you. There's also the fact that there's simulator events, in which you'll walk around town, gaining friendships for rewards in battle and stuff. If your also not interested in that, then P5 might not be for you. However if those factors don't bother, you should definitely give it a try.

And if your going to play previous Persona games and your going to start with P3(which was when they added the simulation events) make sure to start at P3, as P4 brings a lot of improvements, gameplay wise, to Persona 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

Story wise, it's not necessary to play the previous games in order to understand this one. You might miss a few references, but that's about it.

As for gameplay, well, that's tricky. If you don't like turn based RPG's, P5 is not for you. There's also the fact that there's simulator events, in which you'll walk around town, gaining friendships for rewards in battle and stuff. If your also not interested in that, then P5 might not be for you. However if those factors don't bother, you should definitely give it a try.

And if your going to play previous Persona games and your going to start with P3(which was when they added the simulation events) make sure to start at P3, as P4 brings a lot of improvements, gameplay wise, to Persona 3.

I wouldn't call myself a big fan of turn based RPGs but I don't mind them either. I'll probably see how to play the past games since I don't want to miss references and easter eggs if they do end putting them.

14 hours ago, El Driver said:

I wouldn't call myself a big fan of turn based RPGs but I don't mind them either. I'll probably see how to play the past games since I don't want to miss references and easter eggs if they do end putting them.

And you know, I feel like I should say this, even though I haven't played them: play the first two games as well. From what I've heard, 2's story is excellent. (I should really go about doing that one day.)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Rumor going around saying It got delayed. Again. And we gotta wait till next year now. Fucking Christ guys, this is getting ridiculous if that's true. Though I can understand if it's cause FF15. Kinda.

http://www.parentherald.com/amp/articles/38254/20160420/persona-5-release-date-news-update-title-delayed-until-next-year-but-will-include-new-characters-and-new-modes.htm

Well reading that link and its source it sounds more like speculation and not something official or definitive.

Hope that's the case, though with the lack of news, that concerns me. And with FF15 gaining tons of interest again, it totally seems plausible that they'd want to maybe wait a bit, just hope it's not that extreme.

I wouldn't trust that article since the source they use not only claims old news as new news, but has in the past claimed that release dates were announced when no such thing happened. A trusted source, however... 

http://personacentral.com/rumor-persona-5-release-date-between-august-september/

With the use of vague hints, the blog will oftentimes communicate publicly unknown and legitimate information revolving around video games in Japanese retail. This time, through the use of inconspicuous web ad placement, Persona 5‘s release window may have been hinted at. The items placed in the ad column (alongside their release dates) are:

• Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End — May 10, 2016
  • Dragon Quest Heroes II — May 27, 2016
  • Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers — June 30, 2016
  • Toukiden 2 — June 30, 2016
  • The Idolmaster: Platinum Stars — July 28, 2016
  • Tales of Berseria — August 18, 2016
  • Yellow children’s umbrella
  • Final Fantasy XV — September 30, 2016

All of the above are upcoming PlayStation 4 titles placed in chronological order from the earliest release to the latest, with the exception of the bolded “Children’s umbrella” which can be seen below.

Deliberately chosen as the hint, the umbrella in question features “Chikyu Sentai Fiveman,” a Japanese Tokusatsu TV series. This is being interpreted by Japanese readers to mean Persona 5, which, if true, would also imply that retailers are aware the game will be released between Tales of Berseria and Final Fantasy XV, or between August 18 and September 30 in Japan this year."

So would everyone else likely get it early 2017? Japanese releases even nowadays tend to be gapped a few months between everyone else.

I doubt it since that timing correlates with the already confirmed window of Summer 2016 for Japan. NA currently has a release year of 2016 and fuck Europe, am I right so P5 could still be a 2016 game.

If anything, it's likely to be a November or December release in North America at least. Atlus games don't have too large of a gap between their releases in Japan and North America anymore.

Guys...we have a release date for Persona 5 in Japan...you heard that right.

The Persona Channel has been updated with a new news post announcing that Persona 5 will be released simultaneously for the PlayStation 4 and the PC on July 8, 2016.

This news comes alongside the recent mystery countdown website launched for the game.

Persona 5 is slated to be released for the PS3 and PS4 (and PC) in Japan on July 8, 2016, with a 2016 North American release date.

http://personacentral.com/persona-5-release-japan-ps4-pc-japan-july-8-2016/

That was...very unceremonious lol. And PC too?!

This is weird. Why announce the countdown and just have the release date revealed so  unceremoniously. And the lack of PS3 version? Just what is going on with this marketing lol.