Awoo.

DC on TV: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow

Jack / Joker

• 2 months later...

Last night, on Arrow!

They murdered off my least favourite character in the show's first three season run. Her name was Laurel. She was some kind of a lawyer or something. She made a lot of awful noise, and I do not mean the Canary Cry. The show didn't really know what to do with her after botching her background at the very start and crashing the Canary train from there.

She was also obviously the Arrowverse's take on Black Canary. One of the coolest characters in DC Comics bar none. By mid-Season 4 they decided to throw out just about everything they'd pursued with Laurel, and made her more like her comics inspiration. She could be funny, sympathetic, even kind of a badass, and I could finally see it, not only the Canary of the comics, but a good take on the character in her own right.

While she'll recover and return to the show almost immediately of course, Laurel died last night after an episode of which she was absolutely the highlight. Before she did though, in spite of the embarrassing failure on the showrunners' part to make some kind of positive relationship between the ultimate superhero couple until now, she told Green Arrow that he was the love of her life. And I believed her. Her character reached full circle with something resembling poignancy, and Laurel finally, FINALLY resonated with me, after those previous appearances that suddenly don't even bother me anymore.

But unfortunately, Laurel's exit was accompanied by the very deaf decision to have her tell Oliver how great Felicity is and how happy she was that he had found her.

The Season 4 premiere revealed that there would be a death in the family this season, but it looks like we're getting a twofer. Olicity is killing this show.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, seriously, who has a good theory about the two Jays in Flash?

10 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hide contents

Alright, seriously, who has a good theory about the two Jays in Flash?

Spoiler

At this point I'm believing that either A- The Jay we knew was Earth 2 Everyman, that meta human who could copy people's appearances, which explains why he has no power, and the only moments he did, was after he took V9, which can give powers to anyone.

Or B- We're going to see another Alternate Worlds, and Zoom!Jay is probably collecting other versions of himself to either kill them or take their speed.

• 1 month later...

So how about that Flash finale? 

Spoiler

Ok so it turns out that the guy in the Mask is really Jay Garrick from another universe entirely called "Earth 3". And here's the twist he's actually Henry Allen's counterpart. Kinda cool to see John Weasley Shipp put on the flash costume again even if it's a different flash. 

Also the season ends with Barry time traveling to the very beginning again but actually stops the reverse flash from killing his mother. Yeah I'm going to be honest I didn't like how that ended it just shows that Barry hasn't learned and he still isn't willing to move on. 

If the ending is anything to go by it looks like we might be getting a lose adaptation of Flash point since Barry pretty much messed up the timeline.

That was awesome, and Barry is so doomed! Also talk about the man in the mask

SOOOOO Perfect look and feel, not to mention JWS as Jay Garrick which everyone's wanted

the-flash-jay-garrick-earth-3-full.jpegthe-flash-jay-garrick-earth-3.jpeg

Apparently he will play a decent role next season probably after Barry reverts the timeline, and there's a pretty good possibility of him showing up on Legends of Tomorrow... anybody else hoping it turns into a JSA show for season three? with Jay as leader, now that would be siiiccckkkk

Oh and Birth of the Black Flash suckers!

3cDVfwi.png

@Ratcicle King, @Dejimon11

oh and fun, albeit spoilery for anyone who hasn't seen the episode article http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/flash-man-iron-mask-reveal-896879

Well the end was pretty cool, I have to say, so far I think both Flash season finales have been rather underwhelming, but...

Spoiler

At least this time Barry gets all the credit for beating the bad guy.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Time Wraiths ARE this universe's Black Flash, Jay said it himself, the Speedforce sent them to kill any speedster trying to tamper with it, they're the speedsters version of death itself.

I think JSA is probably going to stay with Legends of Tomorrow, tho' I wouldn't put it past them giving Jay some cameos.

Overall, a solid season, but I do think the first one was a bit better, my main problem here was the whole backtracking they did on Barry's character arc, it pretty much makes a few episodes pointless, and the characters did some REALLY dumb choices at some points, Arrow Season 3 dumb. But by far my biggest problem with it was the entire Jay Garrick promise. They spent a good chunk of the trailers advertising Jay, heck, everything seemed to lead up to Jay being Barry's cool mentor, a different chemestry between the two, instead of being another father figure, he'd act like Barry's older brother, a wise and more old fashioned Flash, who'd probably get his powers back in the end to help beat Zoom.

But they threw that out of the window to literally do the same twist they did last year only with a lot more plot holes and confusion. And to end the season going ''WAIT FOR SEASON 3, THERE YOU'LL SEE JAY GARRICK, WE SWEAR!'', fuck off, that's like holding a carrot in front of us, making us walk a fucking marathon, crushing the carrot, and then when we just finish going back to where we begun, showing us another carrot expecting us to repeat that all over again.

They also didn't have Wally or Jesse getting super powers when it would be really interesting, guess they're saving up to the next season, but I got to say, the writers seem to love subverting expectations, the Reverse Flash twist, the Zoom twist, the man in the iron mask twist, but problem is, they seem to think throwing the audience for a loop means good writing,'' hey you want Zoom to be a doppelganger of a character you know and Jay to help Barry beat him? OOOH But we're more clever than that, JAY IS ZOOM, AND JAY ISN'T JAY, BECAUSE THERE'S NO JAY, ONLY THERE'S AND HE'S THE TWIST TO ANOTHER MYSTERY LATER DOWN THE ROAD, CLEVER RIGHT'', it just comes off as forced and lazy, ESPECIALLY when you need to write a scene of the characters literally hanging out in a room with the main bad guy so he can deliver a shitton of exposition to explain how the twist would even work.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

So how about that Flash finale? 

Hide contents

Ok so it turns out that the guy in the Mask is really Jay Garrick from another universe entirely called "Earth 3". And here's the twist he's actually Henry Allen's counterpart. Kinda cool to see John Weasley Shipp put on the flash costume again even if it's a different flash. 

Also the season ends with Barry time traveling to the very beginning again but actually stops the reverse flash from killing his mother. Yeah I'm going to be honest I didn't like how that ended it just shows that Barry hasn't learned and he still isn't willing to move on. 

If the ending is anything to go by it looks like we might be getting a lose adaptation of Flash point since Barry pretty much messed up the timeline.

Spoiler

Eh, its justified at least given what happened, but if they were going to have Barry do that, they shouldn't have made a whole episode about him getting over his mother's death only to turn around do the exact opposite of what he learned.

Anyway, it was a good season but plotholes and nonsensical plot developments kinda make it slightly less than Season 1 in my eyes, especially since it used a lot of the same plot twists from Season 1, so it made the season feel less special by comparison.

I definitely preferred the final confrontation with the big bad this season to the last one. Which is kind of funny since I didn't like Zoom (post-reveal) nearly as much as Reverse-Flash. To be fair, Zoom was actually pretty great in this episode, even if I'm still disappointed by the identity reveal. XP

Spoiler

Also, we Flashpoint now, I guess? I wonder what kind of effect this will have on the other shows, if any...

So, since the season finale isn't airing in the UK till next week, what's the opinions on this season of Flash in general?

Average, too much potential wasted, and too much padding and filler that could've been used to develop certain plot points better, while some of the time AND potential was wasted in plot points ripped straight from Season 1, like they're trying to repeat what made it great. Here's hoping they learn from their mistakes for the next season.

On May 25, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So, since the season finale isn't airing in the UK till next week, what's the opinions on this season of Flash in general?

I liked it. This season has a lot of flaws but they did a lot of interesting things. I liked concept of the multiverse, everybody got some development, Earth-2 Wells was actually a fun character, the episode about Captain Cold's father was pretty well done. However I think the problem with the second season is that they had a tendency of acting like idiots and I think that when it was revealed who Zoom was I feel as if the plot really didn't go anywhere for a bit. Also poor Caitlin that girl suffered a lot

Spoiler

Another problem I had was when the Earth-2 meta humans came to attack the city it didn't really feel as consequential as they were making us believe. The episode when Barry went into the speed force was sweet because he finally moved on but then they had to ruin it by him having a subplot about him being too over confident then when his dad died they had another subplot of him not falling into the darkness. I think it ruin all the character development he got starting with the season 1 final just as a cheap excuse for them to do Flashpoint.

Also anyone else notice when Zoom said that he tried to steal {spoilers] Speed it didn't stick?! means that JG is like the classic one who is boosted by the speed-force, but not solely powered by it.

• 4 weeks later...

So, spoilers for the season finale of Flash, but an important detail about Season 3 has been released.

Spoiler

Season 3 is officially confirmed to be Flashpoint. Grant Austin, the actor who plays Flash confirmed that the season opening episode will be entitled Flashpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trailers for Season 3 of Flash and 5 of Arrow has dropped.

The Flash:

Details:

Spoiler
  • Barry will not get trapped in the past. He'll return to the present with his memories, but with no powers. 
  • Both of his parents are alive and well
  • Iris and Barry grew apart from when they were kids, to the point Iris has no memory of Barry apart from having seen him before.
  • Barry has violent flashbacks/nightmares referring to something called "Alchemy" 
  • Cisco is a rich business tycoon with his own corporation, and appears to be in a relationship with Caitlin. He's the richest man in America
  • Joe seems to have a hatred of Barry, telling him they aren't partners, nor are they friends.
  • Barry will either somehow get his powers back, or don the Flash outfit without his powers in the alternative timeline. Barry supposedly tells Iris of the timeline.
  • Barry's parents somehow figure out about the new timeline and tells Barry things aren't supposed to be like this.
  • Thawne will be a major theme of Season 3, the Reverse Flash is behind bars, and taunts Barry for his altering of the time stream.
  • Thawne comes up with the name Flashpoint
  • There's a new speedster wearing a suit similar to Zoom
  • Kid Flash is the Flash in this world it seems, as we see Wally going up against the new speedster
  • Somehow, what Barry did has screwed up the world extremely badly, with Thawne beginning to ask him who exactly is the villain.

Arrow: 

Someone else will need to do Arrow details as I'm not up to date with it.

Another interesting aspect is, now with the more extended TV universe in play, they've introduced the concept of "universe regulars" this season.

John Barrowman (Malcom Merlin), Katie Cassidy (Black Canary), and Wentworth Miller (Captain Cold) are all universe regulars. Its not explained exactly what it means, but I'm guessing that: they are in the same number of episodes (roughly) they had as series regulars, but across all shows.

I listened to a lot of things at comic con, and John Barrowman said he didn't know exactly what it meant, except that he's contracted "for a certain number of episodes." So this is what I'm guessing will be the case.

On 7/3/2016 at 5:10 PM, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

It has finally been confirmed that Flashpoint WILL effect season 5 of Arrow

http://screenrant.com/arrow-season-5-flashpoint/

Perhaps we will get Black Canary back(now if only Felicity would disappear). That just leaves Jay garrick being confirmed for LOT

I know its old, but we have some confirmations.

Not going to happen. If its going to affect Arrow (it probably will) its not in a big way.

We already know that Black Canary is still dead. She is a universe regular, though, despite this; on Arrow she'll only be in flashbacks (unless they bring in an alternate universe version of her), but in LOT she can appear in past time periods (perhaps they can even bring in a past version of her before her death) and in Flash they can still have an alternate universe version of her. Arrow, though, is going to be more grounded this Season.

For Flashpoint, there's two ways Arrow might be able to handle it:

1.) Arrow Season 5 is set in the universe AFTER Flashpoint is resolved.

2.) Arrow Season 5's Flashpoint isn't THAT different in Star City compared to how different Central City is. In this circumstance, it would be that Flashpoint only affects things revolving around Barry directly in Central City. In that case, in Arrow they might reference some of the changes that happen in Central City as if they always existed, but the events that happened in Star City are mostly the same, except the team wouldn't have ever met Barry.

As for Felicity... well, the problem isn't Felicity herself, its the way they handled her. She was fine before Season 4 (and maybe the second half of Season 3). If she wasn't she would've never become a series regular to begin with.

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Trailers for Season 3 of Flash and 5 of Arrow has dropped.

The Flash:

Details:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Barry will not get trapped in the past. He'll return to the present with his memories, but with no powers. 
  • Both of his parents are alive and well
  • Iris and Barry grew apart from when they were kids, to the point Iris has no memory of Barry apart from having seen him before.
  • Barry has violent flashbacks/nightmares referring to something called "Alchemy" 
  • Cisco is a rich business tycoon with his own corporation, and appears to be in a relationship with Caitlin. He's the richest man in America
  • Joe seems to have a hatred of Barry, telling him they aren't partners, nor are they friends.
  • Barry will either somehow get his powers back, or don the Flash outfit without his powers in the alternative timeline. Barry supposedly tells Iris of the timeline.
  • Barry's parents somehow figure out about the new timeline and tells Barry things aren't supposed to be like this.
  • Thawne will be a major theme of Season 3, the Reverse Flash is behind bars, and taunts Barry for his altering of the time stream.
  • Thawne comes up with the name Flashpoint
  • There's a new speedster wearing a suit similar to Zoom
  • Kid Flash is the Flash in this world it seems, as we see Wally going up against the new speedster
  • Somehow, what Barry did has screwed up the world extremely badly, with Thawne beginning to ask him who exactly is the villain.

Arrow: 

Someone else will need to do Arrow details as I'm not up to date with it.

I'll try to write out the details. I haven't watched Season 4 but I've totally spoiled myself on it and I read a lot about what was revealed at Comic Con.

• If Flashpoint is affecting Arrow, its not that noticeable; this directly follows up the events of the previous season.
  • Laurel is still dead. She appears in a flashback where Oliver is remembering what she told him.
  • Oliver remarks that "you wouldn't approve of what I did, but you were always better than me."
  • "Promise me something. Your instinct is always to go it alone. Ollie, you can't."
  • Oliver wants his old team back, but Felicity is trying to convince him to form a new team.
  • Thea is still around, but mostly shows up in civilian clothes. I think Oliver's "Felicity thinks its time we put together a new team" was directed at Thea.
  • Evelyn Sharp, Renee Ramirez (also known as Wild Dog), Curtis Holt are picked as members of the new team, but Oliver feels they aren't up to the task.
  • Flashbacks are based on the Bratva and Oliver being "initiated" into it (as a nod to how he's initiated new team members.)
  • "Either I'm willing to do what is absolutely necessary, or I shouldn't be out there at all." Thea's response is "Which is exactly why I can't be."
  • It appears there's another dark archer who calls out "Green Arrow." Looks like Malcom, but if its the dark archer speaking it doesn't sound like him.
  • Diggle only appears in flashbacks as far as I can tell and Quentin doesn't show up at all.

Also, some other details were revealed at Comic Con that aren't in this trailer:

• As far as I can tell, the only new series regulars are a yet unnamed character only known as "James" and Curtis Holt. Evelyn and Renee aren't regulars.
  • Laurel and Malcom, of course, are no longer Arrow regulars as they are now "universe" regulars.
  • Diggle and Quentin are still series regulars even though they barely feature in the trailer.
  • We know Team Arrow is going to come together again, but it might take a while for it to happen.
  • Prometheus is the big bad of the season. I'm guessing that maybe he's one and the same with "James."
  • The previous thought-to-be main antagonist, Adrian Chase, is not. Maybe he'll be the big bad of the first half. (He's also Vigilante. And unlik
  • It was already known before Comic Con but Evelyn Sharp is going to become Artemis (technically Artemis isn't a comic book character).
  • Curtis Holt of course will become Mr. Terrific. In DC Comics he's actually Michael Holt, name was changed slightly here.
  • Fun fact: most of these new characters are actual DC characters. Only Evelyn is original.

Ya know, if I can, I'm probably going to try to watch Supergirl Season 2. I wasn't exactly floored by the amazing-ness of Season 1, but it was still pretty entertaining and I regret not getting to watch it more. And anyway, I was actually kinda underwhelmed by two of my favorite Supe shows (The Adventures of Superman and Lois & Clark) at first, only to fall in love with them in the second season, so who knows, it may happen again! More importantly though, apparently Superman is actually going to appear, as I found an interview from the actor slated to play him...and uh, that's pretty exicting xD

10 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Ya know, if I can, I'm probably going to try to watch Supergirl Season 2. I wasn't exactly floored by the amazing-ness of Season 1, but it was still pretty entertaining and I regret not getting to watch it more. And anyway, I was actually kinda underwhelmed by two of my favorite Supe shows (The Adventures of Superman and Lois & Clark) at first, only to fall in love with them in the second season, so who knows, it may happen again! More importantly though, apparently Superman is actually going to appear, as I found an interview from the actor slated to play him...and uh, that's pretty exicting xD

And then it turns out to be a two minute cameo where he's in the shadows or something :U

Oh

Uhh

Maybe I won't watch Season 2 of Supergirl after all

OK not really, I'll be tuning in xD But with regards to the actor's looks, I think Kirk Alyn (the first live-action Superman) is the only past Superman actor who looks less like Superman than this guy does. At least Kirk was clean-shaven and had a spit curl, though. Also, I know I should've seen this coming (I just didn't really think about it), but I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever like Superman without red trunks as much as Superman with red trunks. Ever.

But maybe he'll be good, I'll definitely give him a chance.

He uh...could use a shave. Other than that, I don't really have any problems. In fact I'm glad he has red boots since Superman's current costume as of Rebirth made them blue, because I guess he didn't already have enough blue going on without the ol' red trunks.

Anyway, I wanna see how he looks in the actual show, but they just started filming this week (which is why it's the only one of these shows that didn't get a Comic Con trailer B|) so I guess we'll have to wait a while for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't even think George Reeves looked enough like Superman when I first glimpsed him, so I'm probably being a bit too judgmental...but yeah, looks like Supes forgot to shave and that's just a bit weird.

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

He uh...could use a shave. Other than that, I don't really have any problems. In fact I'm glad he has red boots since Superman's current costume as of Rebirth made them blue, because I guess he didn't already have enough blue going on without the ol' red trunks.

He's trying to gain the speed of a hedgehog.

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

He's trying to gain the speed of a hedgehog.

I think I can see how that went down.

"So I met this superhero from another universe and he was so much faster than us, at least on foot--"

"We'll see about that, Kara." *starts wearing more blue*

• Thumbs Up 1