Awoo.

Sonic Boom comics *ENDING #11*.

Inkling Cooper

Yeah, if it's not SEGA and it's not low sales, it must be something to do with Archie itself. Can't imagine what the reason could be for canceling it. Must've been a really sudden thing if they're not even letting the book go a full year.

They should've given it a mini-series as a test run before turning it into a full-blown series, like they did with the Sonic X comic. Or at least let it get to 12 issues so they don't have to refund those with one-year subscriptions.

Honestly, the loss of the book isn't a huge deal for me. Like the Sonic X book, I think Boom tried too hard to be funny and failed more often than not. Also like the Sonic X book, I had no intention of resubscribing if the book continued.

I just find it odd that it has ended exactly one issue before completing a full year. Maybe there were some sort of legal obligation they had to fulfill once they had completed a full year?

I'm thinking they just decided "You know? This books fun but there's not a lot being done with it. Maybe we should just start doing Boom Stories as back-ups or in Magazines or something."

That's my theory anyway.

My only guess would be cost-benefit analysis put making the stories as side arcs in the Digests and such more profit-

...ahh, perhaps that's it. Use Boom as a means to increase the Digest's sales perhaps?

I feel bad for all the creative people who were working on this comic though.

Maybe they have a limited, budget-wise, number of different comics they can be releasing and want to release something else?

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hope that isn't the logic they used for this decision.

"We should cancel a profitable project to remain within our budget."

If this is the logic you use, please resign from your post in a business immediately.

The first rule of business is you must spend money to make money. And if you're making money on something, you should continue to spend money on it. If sales are not the issue here, there's no point in cancellation unless they think some other project would do miles better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, much like how I did when I subscribed to Nintendo Power, any subscribers will be getting a refund for the cost of ONE issue of the subscription. Of course, when I subscribed to NP, I ended up getting a portion of my subscription fee back, due to Nintendo Power having ran its final issue.

Great, Now I need to pull out the final issue to relive the ending.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh. Always wanted to buy a copy but none of tge ones i read interested me. Still got the prequel comic of Shattered Crystal in the game so there's that.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it's not low sales, then it must be because of budget problems. Yes it was dumb if it was doing well, but maybe they couldn't have 5 titles at once? "But, there are only 4 now with Boom" Exactly. What if they wanted to make a Mega Man X spin-off series and they couldn't due to it costing too much and Sonic Boom could be cut in favour of X? 

Think about it. It makes sense, yeah? It may sound like wishful thinking but I really hope this is the case. I can only see them cancelling it if they want to bring forth another comic in the Archie Action lineup. Hopefully we either get an X spin-off series or a general "Capcom Misadventures" kinda thing with multiple franchises taking turn with story arcs. 

Well that didn't last very long.

I thought the comic was good, Sticks' personality was good, and the colors and the pencilling too! I knew it was going to end, I wasn't expecting to end NOW.

And reading that tweet, it's now flooded with FuhrerMustang's tweets. ._.

Im not entirely sure how true this is but from what I've been told whenever Archie wants to make a new book most of the time they have to cancel another book. If I recall when Sonic Universe and Kevin Keller first came out they cancelled 2 other books in order to make room for them

Im not entirely sure how true this is but from what I've been told whenever Archie wants to make a new book most of the time they have to cancel another book. If I recall when Sonic Universe and Kevin Keller first came out they cancelled 2 other books in order to make room for them

Ah, so my assumption about cancelling one series to launch another was correct. Do you suppose this might be because of the new Jughead ongoing that was announced? I recall the old one was cancelled a long while ago but now with the whole New!Archie stuff they're really pushing the main Archie books. I guess this means no Mega Man X ongoing then... Oh well.

Not like Archie Sonic will end up being cancelled, then renewed by IDW, and thenceforth be referred to as "IDW Sonic," where he would have a potential opportunity for a My Little Pony and Sonic Crossover that ultimately has a race between Sonic and Rainbow Dash that potentially destroys all of Equestria!

Not like Archie Sonic will end up being cancelled, then renewed by IDW, and thenceforth be referred to as "IDW Sonic," where he would have a potential opportunity for a My Little Pony and Sonic Crossover that ultimately has a race between Sonic and Rainbow Dash that potentially destroys all of Equestria!

.................No, just no.

Besides Archie would fight tooth and nail to keep Sonic, it brings them money and lots of it only them would ever give up the license.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only subscribed to this comic for the Worlds Unite crossover. I have read a couple issues and they were okay, not good enough to justify a subscription. If the Boom stories do continue in Digest series, that would be a great idea because the only stories being reprinted right now are only recent issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Boom 11's the last issue...

And Skelly's pencilling it.

But how do YOU know that?

tumblr_inline_nq5d8bvMwb1r8l0qt_250.png

Dat face.

• Thumbs Up 2

How do I know that? Because it was in the solicit released a month ago. :/

But the actual panel is new, yeah.

Okay Boom 11's the last issue...

And Skelly's pencilling it.

But how do YOU know that?

tumblr_inline_nq5d8bvMwb1r8l0qt_250.png

Dat face.

haha yeah... its so like he is screaming:

" the end is near!!!" hahah 

Edited by Drawloverlala

I realized that the character pencilled isn't Tails.

It's a racoon like character or skunk like character.

• 2 months later...

Oh geez, I thought this topic was gone forever. The in-site search engine really does kind of blow so can that be fixed or.....?

Anyway, this is it. The last full issue of Sonic Boom. I've gotta say before this review, this comic series was filled with fun and silly meta-humor and it worked really well for me and fellow Archie Boom fans! The story wasn't very deep but it didn't need to because the main focus is comedy, like the Boom show, the humor has always been pretty silly but still very funny but of course most of the humor comes from, the comic being aware it's a comic and plenty of satirical jokes (Geh, sounds a lot like the show nowadays huh?)

But yeah, hearing the ever-talented and amazing artist Diana Skelly returning to draw this issue with her amazing cartoony artsyle, I was really hyped! Also Sam Freiberger is writing this issue and he wrote Eggman the Auteur, which was one of my favorite episodes and I founded probably one of the most well-hidden jokes in the show in that episode! So that makes this issue all the more exciting dripping with its comedic possibilities. Oh boy, I wonder what the title is called?

"Eggman Gets a Gorilla"

Huh, clever game you're Sam. Very clever. Using a generic title for the last issue, very clever.

2nd page in and already a reference. Goddammit Donnie, why do you have to be so popular amongst the community?! Also I love how Eggman talks to himself from a few seconds ago. Again, with the ker jokes but now 100% more mathematical! Eggman's freakout is glorious and Eggman giving Sonic to the issue they're in is amazing, again Sam knows his meta-humor! Seeing Kyle being actually being quite chill but being a constant screw-up and a pain for Sonic to deal with is quite the twist, Kyle actually being able to break Sonic’s speech bubble is also great!

Kyle trying to do different jobs, all failed and him being sad that he can’t do anything right is quite saddening but since he enjoys comedy that gave Sonic an idea, to use the light bulb he created to fix the lamp! Oh and send Kyle to the Comedy Chimp Show.

Also there’s another story within the story! A true story. Huh, huh? Donnieven ask how I made up these jokes, seriously don’t.

So Eggman apparently lost his not-Bluetooth headset and he goes check if any of Sonic’s friends stole it. Instead he found Tails building himself a dance instructor bot that completes how good he dances, guess the kid needed to build some confidence. Amy, frighteningly, gets of a Smilebug that’s constantly trolling her, Sonic trying to sleep only for Kyle to interrupt him to get a pie in his face, with Sonic then asking if he can go to sleep. Knuckles buying a hat and mocking the OVA Knuckles for wearing a damn nice fedora and Sticks stalking Eggman, whoa that’s trippy bruh….

In his rage, he accidentally crushed his headset which was in his base all this time and was about to comment on how he’s the angriest man who ever lived only to be in absolute glee when the doorbell rang. It was the other Gorilla he ordered, which then clobbered Eggman again with more ker-math.

With that ends the Archie Boom comic though not really, good thing the stories won’t end but the actual series is ending now which is still saddening since this was a really good and funny comic and this issue is the best way to end it. Making it simple but amazingly hilarious and meta is what made the Boom comic for me and I do hope these stories never end since these can work into the Digests, which I can find in my local Wal-Mart so it’s a win-win for me! So goodbye and hello, Sonic Boom!

Edited by Puli Soni
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh geez, I thought this topic was gone forever. The in-site search engine really does kind of blow so can that be fixed or.....?

Yes the search has gone completely bass-ackwards dumb, more info here. I'd keep Google Advanced search bookmarked like I do if you want to search for anything here.

As for the final issue, I don't know I was expecting more instead of the same old the only nod they gave to the comic series ending was the "Thats All Folks" bug at the end. I was hoping for more but whatevs it was a good issue overall, I want more of gurren laggan eggman mech.

Knuckles buying a hat and mocking the OVA Knuckles for wearing a damn nice fedora

Actually he was saying that line about the brown feathered hat that Eggman had also bought. You can tell because that was the hat offered, and Eggman threw his on the ground afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 1