Awoo.

The Animated DC Movie Universe (Latest Movie: Batman & TMNT, Justice League VS Fatal Five - Upcoming: Batman Hush)

Ryannumber1gamer

JusticeLeagueWar4.jpg

Well, since we have a thread discussing the live action DC TV Universe, I thought we should have a thread to discuss the DC Animated Movies. To clarify, this thread is strictly for feature length DC Animated Movies, so Batman Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, Batman/Superman Movie, Starcrossed, etc can be discussed here, but the thread is mainly for the DC Original Movies beginning from Superman: Doomsday.

To start off the new thread, the next three DC Animated Movies are two different Batman movies and another Justice League Movie.

Batman Vs Robin:

The Batman movie will be based on the Batman Vs Robin storyline featured in the Batman & Robin comic series.

Cover Art:

Spoiler

batmanvsrobincoverlarge.jpg

The film will feature some changes from the original storyline. Instead of the fight being Dick Grayson Vs Damian Wayne, it'll be Bruce Vs Damian.

It also appears that Talia Al Goul and The League of Assassins will not be playing a part here as well. In the original storyline, Talia implanted a mind control device on Damian, forcing him to fight. Here, Damian is doing it on his own accord.

Since the movie is taking place in the New 52, the film seems to be mixing The Court of Owls story into it as well, as the trailer shows The Court of Owls going up against Batman. They seem to be the ones who is using Damian against Bruce, and the film overall seems to be based around Bruce's distrust of Damian as Robin.

Here's the first trailer and first clip.

Trailer:

Clip:

Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts

The second movie is named Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts and features Batman working with Nightwing, Flash, Red Robin, and Green Arrow to stop The Penguin, Man-Bat, Cheetah, Killer Croc, and Silverback, after Penguin creates evil robotic animals to work for him.

Spoiler

batman-unlimited-animal-instincts-blu-72

Trailer:

The third movie is entitled Justice League Gods & Monsters but there is no information about it so far.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So I got Justice League Gods & Monsters today on Blu Ray and there was a preview of the next movie. It's going to be called Batman: Bad Blood and feature a very interesting take for these movies because it won't be focusing on Batman, but rather Nightwing (My favourite character of the Bat-Family) who must deal with Bruce who keeps taking charge and throwing away Nightwing's comments and such, when suddenly Batman disappears one night after a new villain enters Gotham. It's going to adapt the Battle for the Cowl storyline from the comic and be the first animated movie to feature Batwoman from the comics.

The story is going to be based around Nightwing as he's suddenly forced to take up the mantle of Batman despite having done so much to get out of Batman's shadow, and will feature Nightwing and his struggles with his new role as Batman and the relationships between the other members of the Bat-Family while they try to discover the events leading to Batman's disappearance.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm hyped for this!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

WE'VE GOT THE BATMAN BAD BLOOD TRAILER! TIME FOR NIGHTWING TO HAVE HIS TIME IN THE SUN! :D

WE'VE GOT THE BATMAN BAD BLOOD TRAILER! TIME FOR NIGHTWING TO HAVE HIS TIME IN THE SUN! :D

No Taylor Swift? How disappointing. But joking aside, I'm just gonna reserve judgement until I see it as I would with any other movie. But I'm honestly finding it hard to get hyped because DC's new 52 based movies have really been let downs for me.

• 2 months later...

So, I'm now hoping for a Teen Titans movie in the DC Animated Movieverse. Mainly because Starfire cameos in Batman Vs Robin.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

STARFIRE AND RAVEN ARE FINALLY MAKING THEIR OFFICIAL APPEARANCES IN THE NEXT MOVIE JUSTICE LEAGUE VS TEEN TITANS! :D

justice-league-vs-teen-titans.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Whoa, nelly, this is surprising to see. It's almost like this is some sort of apology on DC's part for Teen Titans Go! being what it is nowadays! The addition of Blue Beetle is just the icing on this awesome cake!

That said, I'm curious to see who's the Robin supposed to be, though. Is he Damian Wayne?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Komodin said:

Whoa, nelly, this is surprising to see. It's almost like this is some sort of apology on DC's part for Teen Titans Go! being what it is nowadays! The addition of Blue Beetle is just the icing on this awesome cake!

That said, I'm curious to see who's the Robin supposed to be, though. Is he Damian Wayne?

Yeah. Basically, Damian's axe-crazy nature gets him kicked out of the Justice League, and Nightwing and the Titans take him in. Unfortunately, Trigon emerges and manages to brainwash the entirety of the Justice League, leading to the Titans having to fight the League.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah, so Trigon's involved in this movie as the Big Bad... no doubt this will be interesting to see. Not gonna lie: After watching the "The End" arc in the original Teen Titans back in the day, I always wanted to see the Justice League take him on as well at some point.

• Thumbs Up 3

From what I imagine it, I'm thinking it's gonna be something like Young Justice Season 1's final episode where the Justice League is brainwashed and unaccounted for 24 hours.

Only shame is DC isn't getting any of the original VAs, so no Tara Strong and the like.

Aww...no Kid Flash, but Blue Beetle is a good choice.

Glad to see Starfire and Raven finally in the Young Justice universe, they did originally planned on a Nightwing animated series that would focus on him and Raven, but it never came to be.

Does this take place in the YJ universe? I thought every one of these animated movies were in their own seperated universe with no connections to eachother?

• 6 months later...

The Killing Joke film is based on the well-known one-shot comic of the same name, providing an origin story for The Joker.

Recently however, the adaptation has been met with a mixed response, the reasons range from it taking 30 minutes to actually get to the adaptation, what happened to Batgirl, and comments from one of the writers (Brian Azzarello) who replied to a audience member disagreeing with their opinion that Batgirl is still a strong character by saying "Wanna say that again? Pussy?"

<_<

Ok so context if you don't know.

In the graphic novel, it does an amazingly controversial thing. The Joker Shoots Barbra Gordon (Batgirl) at point blank range in front of her father, this results in her being paralysed from the waist down. 

It's quite a low point for the character.

So let's go back a little more to explain why.

Basically, this character depending on which adaptation you go on, decided to become Batgirl because she either 'looked upto Batman and wanted to be like him' or... was inspired to be a hero, think hero worship but with the intelligence and skill to actually do it.

This is how the movie treats the character.

Spoiler

She becomes Batgirl because she wants to have sex with batman.

And she does.

We even see her mount batman, take her mask off, take her top off, then start to have sex whilst still in costume.

Yup. That's the ride you're in for on this one!

So a long time ago, this guy named Alan Moore writes a comic in the Batman series called The Killing Joke. The basic story of it? The Joker, in an effort to break Commissioner Gordon and his daughter, Barbara, subjects both characters to all manner of torment, all while detailing his own hazy backstory.

If that sounds like your idea of an awful time, don't worry. The book was much better than its gruesome, shocking plot, built on much of the same literary skill that Alan Moore had used to pen Watchmen not too long before. The story really functions more as a study into human nature than a bloodbath, asking readers all manner of tough questions: can evil can be thrust upon someone's character? at what point are people beyond saving? Alan Moore's work here was a landmark, and even if he was rightly ashamed of not giving Barbara more focus here or an excess of gruesomeness there, the core of the story has echoed through the Batman mythos to this day, with modern works like Nolan's The Dark Knight continuing to mine at its rich themes and character study.

Which brings us to today's subject, the 2016 animated adaptation of The Killing Joke.

15s0t4g.jpg

Written by hack schlock artist DC writer Brian Azzarello, the adaptation of the original story includes a thirty minute long prologue detailing a sexual relationship between adult Bruce and uncomfortably young Barbara Gordon, a villain nobody really remembers??, and a bunch of other pointless padding. This, of course, eventually leads into the main story with the Joker as played by Mark Hamill and Batman as played by Kevin Conroy taking center stage, but the controversy that has swallowed the film threatens to make that DCAU reunion a moot point in the film's reception. 

With that said, please mark spoilers, and discuss away.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma
aw frick man i got bought out

So finished watching the film and... I actually really like it?

Okay, I have plenty of problems with it.  For the sake of preserving my sanity, I'm going to skip over the romance between Bruce and Barbra and just pretend like it never happened.  Okay?

So while I think it's awesome that the animation takes some obvious inspiration from Batman: The Animated Series, I feel like they took some influence from the wrong parts of the animated series.  There are several moments of off-model characters that just look... weird.  And my god does that random CGI bring back painful memories of the late 90's.  I've gushed enough about how much I love Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as Batman and the Joker, respectively, so it goes without saying that I think their performances, alongside the ever-amazing Tara Strong as Batgirl, are fantastic!  But that's the extent of the talent within the voice acting crew.  Characters like James Gordon and Harvey Bullock are annoyingly gruff and quite wooden, notably lacking in emotion or fluctuations in mood. It's obvious when a character is played by the same voice actor of another character.  For example...

Spoiler

There's a hooker with Twilight Sparkle's voice.  I am not kidding

As for the actual plot, aside from that one element that I've already established does not exist, I didn't think the prologue was bad in concept.  I think the mistake was trying to tie it into the Killing Joke.

Spoiler

The prologue was meant to show Batgirl's importance as a superhero.  I can commend that, because moviegoers don't have the luxury that comic book readers do in that they've had years worth of issues to become attached to Barbra as a character.  Plus, I was really looking forward to seeing more Barbra Batgirl doing what she does best.  Instead, it feels like we were treating to a montage of Batgirl's personal failures.  She's constantly making mistakes and constantly letting her judgment become clouded.  This wouldn't be so bad if we saw Batgirl developing into the competent crime fighter we know her to be, but instead we... well, don't.  We just end the prologue knowing that she's going to get shot later.  I feel like if the beginning were part of its own movie, showcasing the beginning of Batgirl and watching her grow and develop, it would be better, but as an extension of the Killing Joke, it falls flat.

After the prologue, though, I feel like the movie basically just becomes a straight adaptation of the graphic novel.  Rather that's good or not is up to you.  To me, it's a good thing, because it means no stupid edits (because remember, that one part doesn't exist).  But for people looking for them to have upped the ante or anything like that, you'll probably be a little bit disappointed.  It's Batman: The Killing Joke, and that's it.  I admit, I was in chills watching all the iconic moments of the novel brought to life.

Spoiler

Seeing the Joker in Barbra's doorstep, seeing a side of the Joker that I don't think we've ever seen outside of The Killing Joke.  Hell, the movie even shows a side of Batman that I feel most modern writers fail to take into account.  That is, despite being as hardened and cynical as he is, he's still an extremely empathetic and very compassionate person.  And of course Kevin Conroy's belting laughter was adorable.

So yeah, it's rough around the edges, but I really like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I just got back from the screening and oh boy, where to begin...

I'll start off with the good. The animation, music, and voice acting was all very much on point. Hearing Kevin and Mark back together in a animated role gave me pure joy. Tara Strong also did a flat out fantastic job with Barbs. Though, you can tell that she was used for a couple more roles than just Batgirl. Hell, I'm pretty sure I heard her Harley and Twilight in there at various points. XD

The story though... was a completely different beast for me.

Spoiler

I'll start with the elephant in the room. Barbs... just wasn't done well here... at all to me. My impression of her was set at rock bottom after she freaks out in the library and it just didn't get any better from that point on. What makes things even worse is that they really didn't age her up at least for that sex scene and it just left me with the worst view of her character I've seen to date. I know it was implied in Batman Beyond (which is apparently cannon to TAS) that the two had a relationship at some point but I never expected (nor wanted) to take that line this far. It just made a strong character seem absolutely gimped. I even remember hearing an audible grown from the crowd when Batgirl ripped off her costume...

What makes this even worse is that the entire first half of the film revolves around this. And then is completely abandoned in the second half. Barbra is really only in that half for the apartment and hospital scene and the events from the first half aren't even brought up. You can blatantly tell that the entire first half was added on purely for length. Honestly, while I don't like the idea of it, it should have been it's own piece because it felt like I watched two different parts of two movies.

Quite frankly, to me, the first half was a needless addition that was put in just to extend the run time that completely, thoroughly messed over Barb's character here.

The second half was a bit more remediable as it followed the comic almost note for note.

Spoiler

The only real exception of this (besides a couple of line differences) was the ending where you don't see Batman grab Joker by the neck and seemingly strangle him. Instead, we just end on a pretty nice laugh from Kevin. It's a change my friend didn't really like but I found it rather fitting with all things considered about this film.

With all that said, while I can't say this was as good as I was hoping for, it is a solid adaptation of the comic. While some things were changed and had some (pretty unnecessary) additions glued on to extend the length, I can't say that the overall package wasn't something to behold. The animation, music, and voice work alone is enough for me to recommend this as a watch to most fans. Though, when the film falls flat it falls hard and it's going to be up to each viewer to really decide if it broke the animated feature as a whole. For me, it came close but i ultimately can't say that I regretted seeing this in theaters.

Something I forgot to address in my initial post is actually the music.  Modern Batman media, as I mentioned before, consistently brooding in all aspects.  This leaves little room for musical variety, since it has to be gritty all the time.  This movie does suffer from that to an extent, but it does take a nice detour from that every now and then.  For example-

Spoiler

The flashbacks to the Joker's past are accompanied with some a very downbeat jazzy soundtrack to represent his poverty, his desperation, etc.  It's really fitting and much better than if they had just stuck with the typical string orchestra throughout the whole film.  And of course, there's also the delightful "I Go Looney" song that I think we were all waiting for.

Also, the music that plays during the credits is hauntingly beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally seen the Killing Joke (Alright, let me rephrase that, I got the Blu-Ray Statue set a few weeks back) and it's such a split movie with me. Overall, I do think the movie was a good one, but there is so many goddamn issues that hold the movie back from the greatness it could have attained. Let's start with the biggest issue:

The first 30 minutes (aka, just about 95% of the additional stuff they've added) is shit. They have added absolutely nothing, other than a new Joker singing number that's of actual worth. 

Spoiler

The first 30 minutes has no relation to any of the story we've come to see. It's a random prologue that only exists to disgrace Batgirl, and Barbara Gordon, aka one of the smartest characters in the DC Universe. Barbara is portrayed as a constant screw up who believes in random criminals, who's clearly trying to have sex with Barbara or some shit. Batgirl herself even says she doesn't want anything to do with him, and yet still goes along with what he says for no other reason than "oh shit we need to move the plot along". 

Speaking of Batgirl, as a fan of her, this movie also really fucking pisses me off because not only does it put her through a humiliation conga, but it also dumbs her down, and turns her into an asshole hero. 

Spoiler

Here, instead of Barbara doing what she does in order to help other people, and see justice happen, she is instead doing it because she wants Batman's Bat-Sex. 

No I'm not kidding. That's the only reason she took up the role of Batgirl, just so she could simply impress Batman, and have her way with him. To the point where she attacks people in daylight in order to let off her anger when Batman won't recall her after the sex. Barbara gets fucked in every single aspect. She never does anything intelligent. Her morals are altered in a sad attempt to impress Batman and get him to have sex with her, and her capability as a superhero in general is thrown out the window when she gets her ass kicked by a normal fucking thug/son of a mob boss who manages to manipulate her throughout the entirety of the first 30 minutes (reminder once again that Barbara is one of the smartest characters in the DC Universe). 

Normally, I never recommend this, but honestly, just skip the prologue. Because it's a dull, awful mess which has absolutely no baring on the rest of the plot, and that's honestly one of the worst things, and one of the best things. The prologue never has any lasting effect or mention when the real movie begins, making it absolutely useless other than making us hate established characters, but it also means we can just ignore the first half, and pretend it doesn't exist.

The animation is also pretty damn hit and miss. Some times, it looks like it's right from the comic. Other times, it's janky, and off model, and it sadly takes the impact out of some of the scenes. For example, the biggest one is probably Joker. The Killing Joke's Joker was one of the most unique Joker designs, especially at the time. He had more realistic proportions and just felt more like a man who was mutated. 

Spoiler

batman-the-killing-joke-pg-7.jpg

Something that's very different than some of the other Joker designs that was happening at the time:

Spoiler

deathinthefamily-thedeath.jpg

However, when they tried to replicate the artstyle, and the design of TKJ Joker into the animated movie, they go for a inbetween, that looks alright, definitely, but doesn't really match up to the really good design the original comic version had:

Spoiler

BATMAN-THE-KILLING-JOKE-Official-Trailer

However, when it does hit the second part, as in the actual adaption of The Killing Joke, where it sticks close to the comic's plot, I definitely think it's worth watching at least once so you can experience some of those moments brought to life through Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy's excellent deliveries as both Joker and Batman, Joker's one bad day speech being one of the best examples, as well as Joker's final joke. 

Overall, a pretty average movie that in general had a lot of potential, and really should've been better given the comic story (For an idea, I was more excited for this than Year One, or TDKR, both stories I see as alright, but kinda overrated, while in contrast, TKJ is one of my all time favourite Batman stories).

• Thumbs Up 2

FIRST WE HAD ONE ICONIC DC STORYLINE GETTING A MOVIE, AND NOW ANOTHER ONE BABY

It's weird seeing a property associated with Teen Titans that DOESN'T look for an excuse to shoehorn the TTG voice cast into it, especially since (if I recall correctly) Raven's "azarath metrion zinthos" incantation originated from the 2003 series so hearing it out of someone else's mouth is jarring.

Which is a shame, because I would have loved to see the old VA's take on another more serious take on the Titans, but that's not likely to happen now that TTG is the more well-known role (though Kevin Conroy et. al have been in both "serious" and "comedic" works so it's probably not something that will COMPLETELY deter them).

• Thumbs Up 1