Awoo.

General Furry Fandom Thread

Red

We don't have a thread for this yet. I'm disappointed in you all. :U We have ponies so why not furries!

Decided to make a topic for general furry fandom stuff. Post your art, your FA/Weasyl/etc site profiles, convention/meet up going ons and talk about the fandom in general!

I guess I'll start off? I've been in the fandom for years, but only started becoming active...1 or 2 years ago? Not sure. I didn't always have the same character, Lhancat was only recently made when I started becoming active in the community.

This year marks my second anniversary of my first furry convention. I had a horrible time last year. But I know more people now, so I decided to give it another go to see how things turn out. I wish I wasn't so nervous joining the activities like fursuit games though >_< I'm a horrible team member.

So yeah, what are everyone else's experiences?

Oh and before I forget: Keep this topic PG 13 please.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm presuming we can post other peoples art in this thread, yes?

(I don't have anything right now, but I'll more likely than not find something eventually.)

8P It might help to define what exactly a Furry is before someone not too versed in the culture get the wrong idea. As far as I define it as hard as possible, it's a person who likes cartoon animals enough to both claim the label for themselves and express a desire to commune with other people who've also declared themselves Furries. Beyond that, the're no barrier to entry. There's nothing to watch, play, read, or experience in general to solidify your fandom, because the entire thing's based on a broad fictional and cultural concept anyone can immediately understand; thus individual expressions of fandom are unique to each individual. Making art, writing, fursuiting, attending cons, or anything like that aren't necessary. So if you like the idea of toon animals, and you like the idea of hanging with other people who like toon animals, you've met the base qualifications of being a Furry.

As for me, I've been actively involved in the fandom for about four years after attending FWA 2011. It already catered to my tastes and general interests, and it was good to be among a wide range of artists with unique styles and talent levels; drawers, painters, crafters, dancers, performers, the whole shebang. Nearly everyone is talented in something to some degree, and many are willing to share their techniques and experiences, so being around Furs- if nothing else- is always good for sparking inspiration to me; Being at a con is almost like being at SCAD, except without the homework and crippling debt.

It was also after that con that I decided to start suiting, both making my own and performing in them, which is rad too. I'm gaining skills I didn't think I'd ever have before (I can actually sew stuff now!), and it's made me particularly brave; I have no qualms with wearing a suit in public (although I follow protocol regarding private establishments). You'd be amazed at how well most people take a suiter who is at least an average performer, as well as someone willing to explain. It always puts a smile on someone's face. x3

• Thumbs Up 6

Sure, I'll bite. Not "furry" by the standard definition, but I certainly hang out with a lot of people who call themselves furry.

Also I draw a lot for the crowd. Mostly NSFW. So... here's a couple SFW things.

cc2.png

lucy_lookout_by_instantsonic-d7wlo25.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

Very cute and clean style, Instant! <3 Do you have an online gallery somewhere we could look at? x3

As for me, I think I'll use this topic for fursuit versus drawn stuff, since I already have a gallery here and figure it'd be in bad taste to double post the same stuff around. Here's a head I tried to sell but I ended up allowing my brother to have, once he actually pays an installment of some sort so I can go fur shopping (blood don't mean a thing in a recession):

nepenthe-craig-fursuit-ladder-auction.pn

Two interchangeable tongues for character, a nose with functioning nostrils and a nasal cavity for more air flow, fully lined inside, and excessively bouncy ears. The final product will look something like this, and yes I plan for even the body to look as close to the picture as humanly possible. Lots of Disney/anime/realistic stuff out there already, so let's get something more Hanna-Barbara or Warner Bros.-ish going:

nepenthe-craig-fursuit-concept.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks great Nepenthe! Those angled joints look like they're gonna be hard to pull off though, unless you plan to sculpt the body with some foam to pull off the look. Very interested in seeing the finished result!

I guess I should say, Lhancat is finally going to become a fursuit! As soon as next month he'll be completed! I have a deadline for FurDu, which is May 1 so he'll be here around early-mid April. It's kinda surreal. After wearing a partial for roughly ~2 years, wearing a fullsuit is going to be hard to get used to. I've already been buying supplies for it, just to be on the safe side. Would rather not pass out on the first day. :P

Thanks! And my plan was to do foam for the joints only, but for any other place on the body that needed shape alteration like the bellow to use the pillow method instead, since I like how they compress and conform more; it's closer to how muscle moves than a rigid thing of foam. It'll probably be hot as a result, but hey, I won't be wearing it. 8P

Also, who's making Lhancat? 8O I need to knoooow. And all you need for suiting is a box of Gatorade and knowledge of where the headless lounge is, if you're dedicated. xD

Wow, that's some pretty detailed work! Wonderful job! And honestly, anything else I have to show gallery-wise isn't safe to link here.

I guess I shouldn't overheat too much if I drink plenty of water! I was considering buying a cooling vest, but then someone told me the only one suitable for fursuiting was $250! Way out of my budget.

And Lhancat's maker is ByCats4Cats! His gallery is here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/bycats4cats/

His suits are wonderful, and Snap has been a great guy to work with. Very friendly and cooperative!

Ok I don't want to get the wrong idea here. Furry as in dressing up in animal costumes and um (for the PG 13 rating) I'm gonna say "do" things or like Nepenthe said "a person who likes cartoon animals enough to both claim the label for themselves and express a desire to commune with other people who've also declared themselves Furries". I know it looks like what Nepenthe said but it wasn't really stated as such and I didn't want to get the wrong idea so please excuse my ignorance.

Nepenthe's description is a perfect way to describe furries. But generally, dressing up in a furry costume doesn't automatically mean doing nasty things with it. You really think people are gonna spend $2000+ just for that? Most people wear it to conventions, or even entertain the public with them. :3

And it's no different from the weird anime and game geeks who spend all their time and money dressing up as the characters they enjoy, aside from most of them being human that is.

No different to people dressing up on Halloween.

• Thumbs Up 9

Wearing a fursuit is just one way to express being a Furry versus a requirement; the same as drawing fan art of Sonic. You don't have to do that to be a Sonic fan. Fursuits in general are indeed rare, simply because they are an expensive-ass time-sink, and subsequently the population that does anything weird with them is even rarer. Don't conflate these things as being perfectly mutually inclusive.

f9b3046eedb9d3d61f1f5ab8f9f01204b3b6183f

COYO-T COMING THROUGH

Hoo boy, where do I begin? My introduction to the fandom was a rollercoaster. When I first became conscious of my affinity for silly cartoon animals, I didn't want to have anything to do with it at all (partially due to that whole "dark" side to the fandom and partially due to weird personal discomfort with some benign things), and that lasted quite awhile - often to the point of tsundere-esque silliness, as certain members here will be able to attest. But fear eventually turned into fascination, and I found myself going deeper and deeper down the anthropomorphic rabbit hole until I eventually thought, hey, might as well go all the way. (Of course, discovering a comic I really really liked that was associated with the scene probably didn't hurt.) I began writing my anthropomorphic magnum opus in 2013, finally overcoming that "UGH FURRIES UGH" hurdle once and for all. About a year later, I found myself a little niche in a small webcomic community (the same as the one linked) and then this avatar happened. Chooch helped me conceptualize it and Nepenthe graciously drew it for me as a gift (<3) and now, welp, guess it's official. The T-Min you all have known so long is involved in a cartoon animal fandom. Truth be told, I had a fascination with foxes that started in my early grade-school days, when I was madly in love with the Star Fox series, so perhaps this development was destiny anyway. Ultimately, it's the art and works that interest me the most - suiting isn't really my thing, but I understand why some people enjoy it.

As for Coyo-T himself, I feel he reflects me quite well. I chose the pen behind the ear because I write, the crown necklace because of my love of Kingdom Hearts, and the logo on the shirt is a more coyote-esque version of the band Radiohead's logo. The jacket is based on a jacket I actually wear. The species itself comes from the character of Coyote from Gunnerkrigg Court, who actually inspired my character's creation. I used him as an avatar so much in various places that I actually started to identify with the image, and eventually I was just like "why not a coyote avatar lol". Plus, coyotes aren't as common as the more oft-used canids such as foxes and wolves (which are badass in their own right). 

Anyway, I guess that's my confession. Hope my reputation doesn't get shot! 8D

• Thumbs Up 8

A lot of the characters I draw are anthros, and I'm no stranger to drawing them in a sexually attractive light (in a clean way of course) so...I guess I'm sorta one?

I like how I got name dropped in this topic before I even posted in it. The secret is out, I suppose? Haha thanks T. I'm glad you like the character I helped you design so much. Maybe even a little envious because I've always wanted artwork done by Nepenthe for myself. ;3

Oddly enough, once the forum came back up I decided to make my avatar and signature all furry and awful. My life has been a bunch of really interesting coincidences lately.

Anyway, yeah. I've been involved with furry stuff for at least 8 years now. I'm more active in the community now than ever. Ended up going to Anthrocon last year on a whim and had one of the best weekends of my life. I've always been drawn to this sort of thing and I enjoy being around like minded individuals. That's all there is to it really.

I wasn't really sure about getting a suit for a long time, but after some encouragement from a surprising number of people (my family included, which shocked me) and a good paying job, I've gone ahead and planned on buying one. Should be fun once I get around to it.

Besides, who wouldn't want to see more of this face? I'm fucking cute, okay?

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, we can't have a thread about furries without mentioning this little jewel, can't we?

*video removed*

why would you do this to us????

Edited by Kiah
Edited quote to remove link of inappropriate video

I would appreciate it if we did not discuss that, since it's beyond the desired PG 13 rating in the thread. Lemanic, could you please remove the video in the post and post something safe for work please?

"Us"? :U

Culture-wise there may be some truth to it but there are more people in it for purely innocent reasons than you think. Plus we don't have to discuss - or, at least, show - the "ew" stuff here.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't get satire, don't you? That video is sadly the furry fandom to a T. Nothing about us is PG-13 really. The creators did actual research for that thing. It's like going into the Otaku thread and post ME!ME!ME!. Same reason.

You don't get the OP do you? It's offensive and breaks his rules in his topic, he kindly asked you to remove it, don't be a cock about it. Just remove it?

• Thumbs Up 7

Huh, finally have one of these topics, huh?

I've been in the fandom about 6-7 years, although I haven't really gone and hung out with other furries until about 2 years ago. The fandom to me is a place to express myself and just be open and silly with others without fear of ridicule. I've met some of my best friends at the meets I go to (including the love of my life), and if I didn't have the cons, the groups, the people I know in the fandom, well I'd probably still be that sad highschool kid without any friends.  You'll never meet friendlier people than in the furry fandom. 

As for my character, I waited the longest time before coming up with something. I wanted a character that was "me". Streaks is a part of me, is me in a sense. 

16799513805_32355bc847_o.png

Foxes have always been a special animal to me, mischievous and sneaky, yet beautiful. Cape Foxes are probably my favorite though, in a mostly aesthetic way. Combined with my love of hoodies, magenta, purple, and chubby characters, "Streaks" was born. I really want a suit, but I'm waiting until the end of college to actually save for one. 

After heading to my first convention, MFF, in 2013, I couldn't stop myself from going back to another and another... and another. I will never get enough of the friendly atmosphere, the general silliness, and meeting friends from around the world that I only knew through the internet. I urge anyone who has never gone to one to at least give them a try. You won't regret it.

Since I'm a total art whore (seriously I can't stop commissioning pieces), here are some more.

16773726746_8442bf7984_o.png                       16177252664_fcb34a0cae_o.png

• Thumbs Up 5

That second art piece is just dorbs, Kid. Reminds me of Mary Blaire. <3

Anyhoo, just came back from the SCAD furmeet (we meet every Thursday at 5, so if, like, anyone else on this forum is ever in the metro Atlanta area and a furry, come join the gang) and I'm wiped. I partialed for the entire time, so around for six hours, and as usual the security and staff got a laugh out of it. They even know my outfit at this point so I don't have to flash ID anymore. Aside from us shooting the shit, watching awful videos, and interacting with me, I did some gift art of a wild dog for an elementary school friend, mainly with copics and Prismacolors that she was happy to let me borrow. A shame I forgot to get a decent picture of it before heading out. It was pretty good. <<;;

You don't get satire, don't you? That video is sadly the furry fandom to a T. Nothing about us is PG-13 really. The creators did actual research for that thing. It's like going into the Otaku thread and post ME!ME!ME!. Same reason.

That video is the internet in general: anime, western works, furry, non-furry, you name it. Furries just happen to be an easy target over it.

Soooo I guess I'm kind of a furry? I'm not really part of any furry communities, I don't fursuit and I've never attended any Furcon's in my area. However I do like quite a few animated films and videogames with furries and I even have my own fursona, who is a blonde Husky. I haven't got a picture of her but I'll try and get a recent one soon since her design has changed quite a lot over the years. ^^;

You could say I've been a furry for..4 or 5 years now, but I'm more of a casual furry than hardcore. My lifestyle is not furry, I just like the art and stuff. XP

• Thumbs Up 4