Awoo.

General Furry Fandom Thread

Red

I can think of one sole exception to the Nazifur's-not-being-Nazi's, but I don't they're a particularly prominent artist of any sort. So no, they aren't usually Nazi-lovers of any sort. Also, why would Babyfurs necessarily have to be pedophilic in nature? I'm not necessarily overly aware of those, but I wouldn't have thought so.

I figure one can show appreciation for the bombin' nazi uniforms by Hugo Boss without necessarily associating as a nazi-something, but I'm outside this entire circle anyway so what do I know.

I think it's really just a case of "Nazi Furs" being easier to roll off the tongue than "Furry Fans of Nazi Uniforms/World War II Germany," really. :P

"X Furs" is a common identifier of any interest group, though. Nazi Furs do seem to understand the misconception though, as their FurAffinity page has a disclaimer that the group does not exist to espouse bigotry.

Also, why would Babyfurs necessarily have to be pedophilic in nature? I'm not necessarily overly aware of those, but I wouldn't have thought so.

The idea is it still involves a fantasy regarding a significantly underage character, however fictional they might be.

Even if such a thing (being only a fantasy) is legal, it's still going to make a lot of people (and businesses) uncomfortable.

Hey just because they like Nazi uniform designs doesn't make them Nazi though, I have a strange appreciation for the uniform higher ups wore, it's an aesthetic pleasure and I don't condone the actions the Nazi tried to enforce through history because I liked how they dressed.

• Thumbs Up 4

As far as babyfurs (or any other very niche interests) go, I'm totally ok with people liking whatever it is they want to like, as long as they don't make it a thing to push some kind of agenda onto others, and it's nothing illegal and/or dangerous. There's a lot of stuff out there that doesn't do it for me, but who would I be to put those people down or look down on them because they have different tastes or interests?

It would be a rather ironic thing to rebuke something like that when we (the Sonic fanbase) are often the go-to to bash on and be laughed at by the wider gaming community.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't people just say "persecution"? Since, you know, that's what it is? Is it smart to try and turn it into a cute little My Little Pony word? 

I mean I'm not a furry so I don't have any personal attachment to the thing but from an outsider perspective it's just odd.

That's the thing though Sami, people who do refer to it as "fursecution" are the people who are so far deeply attached to the furry fandom and their identity that they'll change words up just for the sake of making them seem like the "serious" furries instead of the casual people who like the stuff.

We're talking people who live and breathe furry life here, who want to be an actual dog or some shit.

The idea is it still involves a fantasy regarding a significantly underage character, however fictional they might be.

Even if such a thing (being only a fantasy) is legal, it's still going to make a lot of people (and businesses) uncomfortable.

Yes but the but the babyfur is usually a fantasy of the furry wanting to be a younger age of themselves usually they like older Furs to be their caregiver, its nothing sinister. Real children are never involved and it has nothing to do with pedophila. Big misconceptions.

Yes but the but the babyfur is usually a fantasy of the furry wanting to be a younger age of themselves usually they like older Furs to be their caregiver, its nothing sinister. Real children are never involved and it has nothing to do with pedophila. Big misconceptions.

Babyfur is often a ploy to hide darker intents for things such as paedophilia though, don't even think about going on Inkbunny and searching Babyfur there, in fact it got so bad Furaffinity effectively "nuked" their site of Babyfur content and banned it along with a lot of members who wouldn't yield who essentially retreated to Inkbunny as their safe haven for continuing the stuff there.

Some Babyfur stuff is innocent, most of it is most definitely not.

That's the thing though Sami, people who do refer to it as "fursecution" are the people who are so far deeply attached to the furry fandom and their identity that they'll change words up just for the sake of making them seem like the "serious" furries instead of the casual people who like the stuff.

We're talking people who live and breathe furry life here, who want to be an actual dog or some shit.

Oooohh, okay. That makes sense.

As far as I know the Nazifurs usually aren't Nazis (indeed, many will put a big red disclaimer on their page), but simply like the outfits.

Well that would make a lot more sense, because it wonwould really come off as ridiculous to be a Nazi and and use it in something that is pretty damn synonymous with multi-raciality and multi-culturalism.

Then again, it wouldn't be too surprising it that happened to be the case.

I don't know if I'm still apart of the fandom. I enjoy drawing anthropomorphic characters and I used to have a fursona back then. I think the only thing I did being involve with the fandom was going to a Furry convention in 2012( It was kinda boring but I met alot of cool people)

That said, I am fully aware of the strange stuff. I'll never understand babyfurs, vorefurs, nazifurs, etc. I don't think I want to know. At the same it's nothing to get your blood boiled over. They're just harmless people on the internet. 

Babyfur is often a ploy to hide darker intents for things such as paedophilia though, don't even think about going on Inkbunny and searching Babyfur there, in fact it got so bad Furaffinity effectively "nuked" their site of Babyfur content and banned it along with a lot of members who wouldn't yield who essentially retreated to Inkbunny as their safe haven for continuing the stuff there.

Some Babyfur stuff is innocent, most of it is most definitely not.

There is still a lot of babyfur content on Furaffinity. Most of what I have seen is like something Nick Jr. would show. Of course there is some mild "fetish" stuff. But I've never seen "art" of adult furs molesting babyfurs (disgusting). Nor do I want to.

So you're kind of right unfortunately there will be some paedophiles would hijack it for their dark prevertions but you can't belittle a whole sub group for these sick isolated individuals. 

(sorry Neph, the "hedonism" went out a decade ago by the conservatives among us)

Clearly you don't go to conventions.

Anyway, I feel we're treading a bit close to the PG-13 line of this thread here to be comfortable, what with all the talk of specific fetishes and whatnot. Let's bring it back some. We know there are weird fucks in the fandom.

Instead, stare at the majesty that is this suitmaker's work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry Stacy, when you mention it that way I guess babyfur isn't too bad. Still not my favourite sub genre of the furry fandom though. As for Nazifurs, suppose it's ok if you're only interested in dem snazzy Nazi uniforms and nothing more, but it's another sub genre I'm meh about. ^^;

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry Stacy, when you mention it that way I guess babyfur isn't too bad. Still not my favourite sub genre of the furry fandom though. As for Nazifurs, suppose it's ok if you're only interested in dem snazzy Nazi uniforms and nothing more, but it's another sub genre I'm meh about. ^^;

Its fine Gabz.  ^_^

Its just there is a lot misconceptions about them but anyway I think its best if we steer the conversation back to general art and conventions like Nepenthe said.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I guess so, I mean I've never been into Babyfur nor do I get the appeal for it, this is coming from a practically veteran member in the furry fandom for close to 15 years now, then again Furry covers a whole area of various sub groups that you don't necessarily have to fall under because you end up liking elements from various areas, but not the complete package so to say.

Nep is right though, there are some weird fucks in the fandom which is why I don't really associate as a "fandom" and really just like things because I like them :)

While those are problems I agree with and even outlined, absolutely none of that has to do with hedonism.

And if you feel the act of admiring other people's artwork, posting our own, and discussing our specific fandom experiences is souless self-congratulatory nonsense, you're free to go on Tumblr and find any of the many Furry callout blogs there are.

• Thumbs Up 5

*Sees furry topic. Decides to post* 

*Reads current topic discussion, decides not to post*

Ah, whatever. Can't lurk forever. I think it's been years since I made a forum post in the first place. Hello, I'm Toilynn Trubeau, and I'm a furry-

Circle of listeners: Hello, Toilynn!

... This is not an AA meeting, go away.

I, too, tend not to throw said "label" around willy-nilly. It's still a need-to-know basis for me. But, I'm often (read: always) wearing Furry Weekend Atlanta hoodies and bands, so those in the know that I pass in public can approach me about it (or vice versa).

In fact, while I was strolling IKEA the other day, an associate walked up to me, said he liked my hoodie and went to the cons every year, himself! And late last year, My coworker (I work at a dog daycamp/boarding facility) noticed the FWA armband I had. Turns out, he was wearing the same one, too. Actually, there are a large number of furries where I work, and none are the negative kind. Who'da thunk?

Wearing the merchandise is a great way to meet new people in the fandom while not broadcasting it to everyone, if you're reserved about doing so ^_^. So far, I've not been approached by anyone who didn't already know what FWA was, and wasn't themselves a furry.

I've not really been part of the fandom for a long time. I went to my first con in 2012, I think, but I was pretty hooked. See, I've always been into zoology, media concerning animals (cartoons, books like Redwall and even the Golden Compass), and general fantasy nonsense, and have always been the creative type, often (read: always) including animals in my work. It just made sense that I should check out the fandom.

And now look at me: two fursuits and building my third. Most of my Sonic fancharacters are now just general anthroes I used in non-Sonic roleplays and art. 

Background chanting: One of us. One of us...

... Erm. So here's some art n' stuff! 

Been working on an actual art style to call my own. I'm not a huge fan of anthro styles that look too human, so I'm working on one that emphasizes the animal side more. Something a little more Redwallesque, while not just looking like ordinary animals standing on their hindlegs.

T8hMhjm.png

And the current design of the fursuit I'm working on: Hojpoj, my red river hog, okapi, diamondback rattlesnake... bird... thing. I really like chimera and monster characters ^_^

Upr87Vi.png

Progress is coming along pretty well. I'm going to work on the digitigrade leg padding today.

lurC0Fj.jpg

Also, I'm trying to build up my fullsuit portfolio, so I'm totally doing $1000 fullsuits right now, if anyone was interested.

Peace!

• Thumbs Up 2

8D!!! About time you posted here, bast frand.

I also just realized you managed to catch my brother in the background of one such photo (who is also a Furry and ultimately the one responsible for getting me in the fandom when all I knew about it was weird stuff. So if any of you have a Twitter account, show him some love. =3)

I also realized how freakin' lazy my dog really is.

So I finally decided to get a fursuit. I'm going to order it this fall when MadeFurYou opens up. Hopefully by MFF 2016 I'll be able to wear it, haha. 

Speaking of, Nepenthe you actually need to come this year. Xp

Ha, sorry about last time. Things in my life kept compounding to the point where it wouldn't have been feasible for me to travel up there that day. It just wasn't a good time. I really do wanna go, though, and we're gonna try again! And if I get there, you need to get your fluffbutt down to FWA! xD

Welcome, Toilynn! :D You got some pretty nice art there. Do you have any photos of any completed suits? I'd totally be up for one after FurDu in May! I presume you use Duct Tape Dummies?

^_^ Thanks Lhancat! I do have some photos here somewhere... And actually, I'm building this current project on a DTD. My second suit was just done with measurements, and I've learned my lesson on that. It came out fine (if a little baggy in the legs), but DTD is waaaaaay easier, I think.

Mind you, I've only finished two so far, but I think I'm improving a few fold with each one I complete. Looking forward to seeing Hojpoj all done. Especially with digitigrade legs!

My first suit was Kao, the grey wolf in these pics. Taken at the one and only Anthrocon 2013:

f8sd966.jpg

MGhurAF.jpg

My second suit was Toilynn/Sierra, my purple dhole... witch. She was still missing a nose in these pics as I wanted to make it functional (nostrils and an air passage to the face), and I was experimenting with making a fullsuit that could be converted into a partial and 3/4 suit, hence the arms being weird. She's going to get new ears and hair in time for FWA next month.

zzKeS0a.jpg

kGRSdY7.jpg

Nk4qZzH.jpg

My third (as seen in my last post) Is just a naked, toothless head at the moment. Poor 'Poj hahah.

• Thumbs Up 2

Folks try to get me to go to fur cons every so often.

It seems the main draw is hanging out with folks you only speak to online, however, as I don't really feel an attachment to any of the other activities I know of.

I got bored at E3, so I'm pretty cautious to try anything else.

Can't people just say "persecution"? Since, you know, that's what it is? Is it smart to try and turn it into a cute little My Little Pony word?

It's pretty standard fare to rename something with a "fur" sound to actually have the word in it when it involves the fandom, from my experience. Or simply emphasize the "fur" where it is already there.

Further Confusion, Confurence, etc.

It's not really a "My Little Pony" phenomenon either, since portmanteaus are pretty common. Grapple, spork, gerrymander, eyeborg, etc. The term "fursecution" may seem dramatic, but it ultimately is clear that it refers exclusively to issues furries face versus the general public.