Awoo.

General Furry Fandom Thread

Red

http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/dreamcastfox/

As you can see from my gallery (100% SFW) I am a huge Artwhore.

My experience with the fandom says a lot of furries are. :P

It's not surprising though. The basis of the fandom is primarily in fantasy, so a lot of money is going to be spent bringing those fantasies to life, whether through commissioning artwork of one's character, or having fursuits made.

My desire to get a partial fursuit is increasing almost on a daily basis. I want to be a six foot tall pink cat man please.

• Thumbs Up 2

My desire to get a partial fursuit is increasing almost on a daily basis. I want to be a six foot tall pink cat man please.

psst.

psst.

hey.

0_0

I can make you one.

You're one of the makers I was considering! I'm extremely new to the whole process tho' and I'm not sure what your rates are. We may be able to work something out?

You're one of the makers I was considering! I'm extremely new to the whole process tho' and I'm not sure what your rates are. We may be able to work something out?

Yay, I'm being considered! 8D And sure thing, I'll be able to help you through everything. If you want more details, just PM me. ^^

So I just sent in a form for Phoenix Wolf. Before I went to BC4C, they were my original target for a Lhancat fursuit. If I get picked I'm only getting a new head. I really need a completely foam based head that gives me ventilation. At the moment I can't really last long in suit due to lack of air and it gets stuffy fast when standing still. I need a new head for smaller meets and such with keeping my BC4C head exclusive to cons where there's a headless lounge.

But while we're on the subject, what are your favourite fursuit makers? Who gave you the inspiration to wear a suit/start building suits? Is there anyone you would love to commission a suit from in the future? Would love to hear them! :D

When I first got into the fandom and started looking up makers, my personal favorites were Don't Hug Cacti and Mixedcandy. But now that's completely changed as I don't much care for either's style anymore. xP What got me into making fursuits, honestly, was the inhibiting price of having one built and the challenge of learning a new art. But the first person to really inspire me was Designosaur, particularly with her green husky suit Acid. Her shapes are exaggerated, fierce, and unique. Even the cute things don't look particularly typical of what you think of when you think "fursuit." As for bigger makers, Autumnfallings, Phoenixwolfsuits, wild-life (although I'm routinely angry at them for reasons), and Ruffled Designs are all inspirations due to how they've nailed their own styles down to a science and their craftsmanship abilities. They routinely do things I'm scared to do, like sewing straight over the pins (because sewing machines are expensive. D8) If I had all the money in the world though, Ruffled Designs and Phoenixwolfsuits would be the top of my list.

Speaking of fursuits tho: Me, my brother, my best friend, his best friend, my best friend's best friend, and that best friend's best friend decided to try and have a public fursuit outing today. But God was like "Hold my beer" and decided to drench Georgia in a line of storms. So this is a snippet of what happens when you contain this much cuteness and insanity in a small apartment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba5d9LVvHZk&feature=youtu.be

• Thumbs Up 1

That video was adorable. :D The thing that got me into fursuits was Mixed Candy's Vex I just loved everything about it. Nowadays though, I'm not particularly fond of that style anymore. The eyes on their toony suits look a bit derpy.

Also, an update. I didn't get a slot in Phoenixwolf's commissions. :( Very disappointing, but hopefully I'll have more luck next time!

Also Nepenthe, would you mind PMing me about the Wild-life ordeal? Wouldn't mind hearing about this!

Vex is still something out of this world. <3 Their realistic style is great; their toony style's gotten weirder. To me though, it's not the eyes (at least when they're finished with eyelids); it's how exaggerated and bulbous their muzzles have become. -_-;; Two steps farther and they'd be freakin' One Fur All. In terms of that kind of Disney-esque style Lacy and Nick to me have surpassed them, although Henrieke has always been at the top whenever she gets the itch to crank out a suit. Jesus Christ, her suits look like something taken directly out of a Golden Age cartoon. Stupid good design.

Tough luck about not getting onto Phoenix's list. I hope you do one day though; I want to bask in the glory that is a Phoenix-style Lhancat....especially since I don't think she's ever done a domestic cat before! 8O

And I'll totes PM ya. x3

I honestly love a lot of different makers, but I can't really picture myself getting one from a maker that has fallen into a set style. I mean, MadeFurYou makes super adorable stuff, but a lot of the suits look similar. Wild Life makes some really adorable stuff, but doesn't actually allow commissions, only selling designs once completed. Mixed Candy is great... 

I'm totally blanking on who else I like. XD

I chose Fuzz Factory, but they're rather new and junk.

MFY does have same face going on, (although I like their style anyway, and this bear definitely shows an ability to deviate from the usual), but I feel they've now only now hit their stride. Their tailoring and gluing looks to have caught up now to other makers who have 'crisper' looking products, if that makes sense. Sunny Dingo is the first suit that awed me, and I've been privileged to see and inspect Acai up close and he's just absolutely clean. True as well about wild-life, which makes me sad because I'm 5' even. No one's pre-mades ever fit me and they don't take kindly to tailoring significantly up or down. ;~;

Fuzz Factory shows amazing promise too. They've already got a range of species from a bull to a dragon to a caracal cross, and even a freakin' goose, in addition to their canines. I'll be happy to see them develop. x3

Oh god Nepenthe do I feel your pain! I'm 5' 1/2'' and I've rarely ever seen a premade suit for my height! I always have to stick with partials which suck because all the good premades are usually fullsuits! D:

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh.. I'm going to a fursuit outing in a few hours...

*Fursuit needs new nose* ............

.... I should totally turn this into a 3/4 suit. I can totally do that in time. Just have to cut off and refit the legs.

*Nose is hanging off*

And that shouldn't take too long. I mean, I have to do laundry anyway.

*Threadbare nose*

Mmm. Maybe I'll sew the legs to an old pair of shorts.

*Jesus Christ the nose*

Yep. I have time.

1400845298798.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

So I went to my second ever furry convention this past weekend. It's a more local one for me called Fur the More. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it since I knew so few people who were going but I ended up having a great time. It was interesting seeing a bunch of fursuits that I have seen floating around on the internet in person as well as some I wasn't familiar with at all. I took a bunch of pictures but I honestly wish I had gotten even more.

Obligatory "I really want a fursuit" part of my post. I'm probably going to get something from Nepenthe within the next few months? I'm that serious about it now. Can I be as cute as some of the people I saw please?

• 2 weeks later...

So I was goofing around with a friend in a Skype call one day, swinging from chandeliers and stuff, and then this happened:

gift__i_came_like_a_wrecking_ball_by_the

I'll try not to do this often, but I've been very happy lately with a number of things. I'm an aspiring author, and lately I've been busy with furry fiction again for the first time in over a year. I've had a lot of inspiration as of late, and I've been trying to keep the momentum going with more work. In the past week I posted a short story, "In the Shadow of Your Horns", along with some commissioned art from Crocdragon89. The art I posted is the first of three, two pencil sketches and one piece of colored, digital art, examples that I've commissioned of these characters, and I'm over the moon. I absolutely love what he's done thus far and am eagerly awaiting to see everything else come to light!

Everything has come together at once, and I'm just indescribably thankful to have gotten the opportunity to hire one of my favorite artists. I'm trying to finish a sequel to "In the Shadow..." in time for him to finish the rest. I've posted the story in two different places, but I'd rather post the link to Penana. I may post the other two here at some point, but I don't really want to spam this thread if I can help myself. I just wanted to post everything here as this was the most appropriate thread to advertise such things. ^_^

I will say now that the short story has absolutely no sexual content whatsoever.

In the Shadow of Your Horns 

4HMNE8b.png

I honestly adore the furry fandom. I can't imagine much of an interesting life without it, all the art, cute costumes, strange, interesting people. I've never been to a convention outside the UK, so I tend to stick with Confuzzled, due to not being able to afford anything else. I help out the staff there every year, these days. Because of the fandom I was able to build a little pocket of a fanbase, through drawing my crappy cartoons, which now earns me a little income. If it wasn't for that, I don't really know what I'd be doing to survive, so I'm thankful for having found the furry community in 2003, it's the greatest source of fun in my life.

You just can't beat the surreal, absurd, warm feeling of being in a huge hotel, surrounded by dozens, even hundreds, of big cutesy, toony critters bouncing all over the place. It kicks ass. It's also the best artistic community I've ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1513700_10153518249443979_43529034577867

So this is making the rounds on Facebook.

And I call horseshit. As far as I know, those other fandoms don't have to worry about chlorine gas attacks. They don't have to worry about bricks being thrown at them. They don't have to worry about being singled out as perverts because of a sizable minority of the fanbase. The list goes on.

I think furries are far beyond just a simple interest or hobby. There is a legitimate community and identity. I have no doubt that there are people in other fandoms who seek out friends just for being in that fanbase, but furries seem to do so on a much larger scale.

There is PLENTY of reason to hide one is a furry. Especially when there's a very real threat of ostracism or even violence.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also received some commissioned art the other day, and I absolutely love it!

I shared this piece on my thread in the showcase forum, but I'd like to show it here as well:

Dipstick%20and%20Racer%20X_zpsemfiabe8.p

It's a scene illustrating two of my characters, Trace Rahzel and Reese Tilson reaching a truce on the Moon's surface. I've posted a few things about them on my fA page. I'm trying to finish the third chapter of my short story "In the Shadow of Your Horns", which features these two characters. I hope to get it done in about three weeks if I'm lucky. 

I really love everything Crocdragon89 did with my characters! I very much appreciate all his hard work and dedication. It's been a real pleasure to work with my favorite furry artist!

You can look over his material by checking his fA account [Warning: NSFW content is present]:

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/crocdragon89/

Edited by Killtank
  • Thumbs Up 1

1513700_10153518249443979_43529034577867

So this is making the rounds on Facebook.

And I call horseshit. As far as I know, those other fandoms don't have to worry about chlorine gas attacks. They don't have to worry about bricks being thrown at them. They don't have to worry about being singled out as perverts because of a sizable minority of the fanbase. The list goes on.

I think furries are far beyond just a simple interest or hobby. There is a legitimate community and identity. I have no doubt that there are people in other fandoms who seek out friends just for being in that fanbase, but furries seem to do so on a much larger scale.

There is PLENTY of reason to hide one is a furry. Especially when there's a very real threat of ostracism or even violence.

Actually, Bronies are often called perverts, pedos and several other names like that, some of them have been attacked (I think some kid fell in coma because of bullies, because he had a MLP backpack) and harassed. So at least that fandom has to worry.

Actually, Bronies are often called perverts, pedos and several other names like that, some of them have been attacked (I think some kid fell in coma because of bullies, because he had a MLP backpack) and harassed. So at least that fandom has to worry.

That just further cements my belief the person who made the image was just doing a kneejerk post, nitpicking about the word "coming out" being used for something besides an orientation, and had no idea what they were talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: this is not meant to go into detail on a particular subject. I don't think anyone who's interested in furries really needs to go into detail as it's pretty obvious what the issue I'm about the describe is about, and why we shouldn't go into detail.

Alright, so in short, a friend of mine went to a small paid furry event the other day with dancing, live music, etc. They shared some photos. It looked like a good enough time.

But then I noticed the stage setup. Logos, the event name, etc. And then... in the middle of a graphic of a pawpad... the word "Yiff." I was pretty sure that's what it said, so I asked for confirmation... and sure enough, yes, that is what it says.

I reacted negatively. While I understand there's a sexual element to the fandom for a lot of people, for just as many people there isn't one. So I don't really like when terms like "Yiff" are given an official standing in some way. It perpetuates the many stereotypes about the fandom as being made up of deviants rather than people who quite simply like anthropomorphic characters.

Was I overreacting? Was I legitimately peeved by the use of the word in this way? I thought I'd ask for some thoughts.

Edited by Ty the Tasmanian Ogilvie