Awoo.

Five Nights at Freddy's - Scott Cawthon Financially Supports Anti-LGBTQ+ Politicians

Spin Attaxx

I don't think that was something Scott ever intended to reconcile with canon. The atmosphere of the first game was pretty tongue-in-cheek before the fanbase exploded and began suggesting the idea that Scott should make a more serious storyline, and I imagine the garbled dialogue was used simply because the demonic speak is mostly a joke. The animatronics are angry you've survived this long and are warning you that they're upping the ante. That's all I imagine it to be.

Yeah, it being a byproduct of Scott not planning a trilogy was what I was thinking, I just kind of wanted to see if anyone had a way to make it work with the story he went with.

I don't think the Phone Guy explanation works. He'd have died in another room, and there'd be no reason for him to start reciting books as he died. 

Welp, looks like the Freddy hype died off, I guess. But that still doesn't mean people are still talking about it, so I was just checking on the Channel Awesome website to see if the latest NC or Doug Walker-related video is up (it hasn't) but I found this instead.

I haven't seen it myself yet so might someone else do an analysis on what this guy has to say, please do!

> Name episode after Five Nights at Freddy's.

> Use Five Nights at Freddy's as background throughout.

> Take thirty six minutes (over half of running time) to mention Five Nights at Freddy's. 

<_<

Stopped at 46 minutes, they said absolutely nothing you can't find being said dozens of other places. Well, other than the claim that Phone Guy can't be Purple Guy because Phone Guy likes Foxy and not because he's, you know, dead. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

jaw-drop.png

What.

The.

Actual.

Fuck.

Like, wow, really? I mean, i could see a movie based on the first game, but this soon? I've never seen so much milking in a franchise with this speed, not even in Mario or Assassin's Creed.

Also, i can't wait to hear the reason why Schmidt decides to come back night after night.

WOW! Just wow!

I'm both shocked and happy, not even Slender got this big! 

Oh boy, the haters sure aren't gonna like this one bit but screw it, I'm so gonna watch this and I'm probably gonna go mad at the end. XD

Since my sis is the reason why I got into this, I'm totally gonna bring her. 

ALL ABOARD THE FAZBEAR HYPETRAIN!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if there's a good thing about this FNAF movie, at least it's being developed WITH the guy who knows the source material better than anyone else, so it probably won't suffer the usual issues Video Game Movies tend to have.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm stunned. Seriously. I mean, talk about living the dream, Scott!

I cannot wait to see where this goes, but at the same time I do wonder and am cautious as to what Warner Bros will do to it to give it more 'mainstream appeal'. Granted, I think the series lore in itself has a great amount of that anyway, but adaptations very rarely make it through the game-screen transition totally intact.

Also, I'm wondering if the whole Five Nights appeal will still hold once the film is ready to release given that this probably hasn't even left the planning stages yet. The series as a whole isn't anywhere near a year old yet, so the hype from all the games is still very fresh. I wonder if the dedication will still be there in say a year from now (or whenever the film releases).

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy fuck, is this legit?? I really hope so, a movie would be kickass, especially if it took place during the events of the 2nd one. I wanna see how horrifying those models transition into live action. I wonder if Cawthon's enjoying his swimming pools of coins...

Well if there's a good thing about this FNAF movie, at least it's being developed WITH the guy who knows the source material better than anyone else, so it probably won't suffer the usual issues Video Game Movies tend to have.

The Wing Commander movie was made along with the creator of the franchise, and the least of the problems it had was the wrong name for the main character.

I'm trusting Scott enough, but never take anything for granted. Especially if Hollywood is involved.

The Wing Commander movie was made along with the creator of the franchise, and the least of the problems it had was the wrong name for the main character.

I'm trusting Scott enough, but never take anything for granted. Especially if Hollywood is involved.

Yeah knowing our luck, Hollywood will probably slap on a romance subplot with a shallow love interest who either kicks the robot's asses, is a super purity sue who understands the robots' plight instantly and doesn't get butchered, or a hysterical screaming person who annoys the hell out of everyone or something.

Talk about something going the full way, jesus christ a movie?

Scott will be laughing till the cow's come home, won't this fame make him like millions? He finally got his break, good on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit.

This is how he afforded giving all that money to charity. And it could be a legitimately great horror too. 

Colour me interested.

• Thumbs Up 5

Some things to wonder about:

Will the animatronics be voiced (with broken robot voices), or do you think they will be silent aside from screams?

Will this be an origin story for the entirety of the franchise, a pragmatic adaptation of one game or all of the games combined, or will it be a sequel to the games?

Whaddya think the main protagonist is gonna be like? Will they be the killer, the guard, an animatronic?

I really hope actual animatronics are used for the bots and not CG. I'm so hyped to see the desolate, uncanney valley FNAF atmosphere and style on a feature length film and on the big screen!

Let me just drop this here real quick

tumblr_inline_nmgpy85s2L1spt9ae_540.png

Ain't we stink'as?

Will the animatronics be voiced (with broken robot voices), or do you think they will be silent aside from screams?

They'll probably lip sync to in-universe pre-recorded lines and songs during work hours and only make their usual screeches, roars and distorted radio noises at night. Mr. Creepypasta and co's direction of the animatronics sneaking in violent threats in between their normal dialogue was kinda novel, but at the same time it was kinda forced and cliche for a series as clever as this one, so I hope there's none of that here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gee I can't wait for fake teaser posters to come out and fool fans and those LPers who report any and every bit of alleged information on their YouTube channels!

Am I the only one who thinks Shia Labeouf would be perfect for this kind of movie? I can see it now.

Shia: *sees Foxy running down the hall* NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

• Thumbs Up 4

So how long before Universal Studios theme park division adapts it for one of their Halloween nights?

• Thumbs Up 5

I really hope this focuses on the first game. I suppose it's probably too much to hope for an atmosphere heavy, creative movie with just brief flickers of tragic backstory, but I would so love it if it happened. Or, even a whole new story that ties into the games' stories would be pretty cool (maybe even with its own hidden things for people to overly dissect). 

On the more realistic side of things where they'll probably take the easy route and focus on the back story a lot, I hope they at least stay away from the third one. I liked it better than the second, but I think it took too much of a traditional horror approach and that ending was nothing but cheese.

And please remember, Hollywood people, bands of five teens that happen to fit into stereotypes cannot take night shifts together and are unlikely to break into kiddie pizzerias to party. One dude, please. Or one dudette, if you prefer. 

That said, OH MY GODS I AM SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!  :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Assuming the movie actually gets made, it'll be lucky to not come after much of the FNAF interest has died off; I don't know if I see it maintaining momentum for however long it'd take to get the film into cinemas - years?  But it could make it mass-market instead, if it's a really big effort.

I suspect it would be a pragmatic adaptation of the idea of the series rather than any specific entry - night shift at spooky animatronic pizzeria, animatronics turn murderous, etc.  Stuff like the child murderer and maybe Spring Trap I can see carrying over as they'd work really well, but ultimately they'll probably want to get a cast of more than just one guy into the pizzeria so that some of them can be gruesomely killed.  I can see a set-up like, friend of protagonist disappears, last seen working at pizzeria, protagonist takes his job to find out what happened, love interest of friend (and subsequently of protagonist) also gets involved, there's a pretty obvious progression along those lines that would be serviceable.

I'm both shocked and happy, not even Slender got this big! 

Well, there was/is a Marble Hornets movie, and I think quite a few other low-budget Slenderman movies as well, but they're a lot more obscure.

but ultimately they'll probably want to get a cast of more than just one guy into the pizzeria so that some of them can be gruesomely killed.

You guys probably have a better idea of what Hollywood would do with the general concept than I do, but I feel like this would be such a betrayal of the spirit of the original games. That being, they were able to portray an almost constant storm of activity without actually displaying any of it most of the time by turning a technical limitation into a paranoia-inducing nightmare. You know they're moving around out there, but you never actually see them move. At least, not until something horrible is about to happen; even when you're staring at them through the cameras, they conveniently black out or burst into static whenever something moves in or out of the area. And most of the important events of the games, including deaths, happen offscreen in some fashion.

Seeing somebody get brutally evicerated on camera, for example, I feel would just kinda suck the mystery out of the way the animatronics move and act. Something which, funnily enough, I've already gotten to see in practice thanks to certain Youtubers extending the original jumpscares into actual death scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcsdm6FdHY

And so long as Scott himself is on board with it I can only hope he doesn't allow things to stoop down to this level. I get that he might have to take a few liberties to stretch FNAF out into a feature film, but the franchise was always more about what you don't see than what you do, and that's something the film should absolutely emulate given whatever opportunity.

Incidentally I wonder if Scott is reprising his own role as Phone Guy.

Call me when the movie actually happens. Cause I honestly don't expect it will ever see the light of day.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys probably have a better idea of what Hollywood would do with the general concept than I do, but I feel like this would be such a betrayal of the spirit of the original games.

I don't disagree, but as you point out, deaths occur in the game, just off-screen or sort of filtered (through a highly pixellated and limited medium of a pseudo-game).  It wouldn't necessarily be inappropriate for people to die off-screen, or perhaps through a staticky camera, and for their corpses to be subsequently encountered (c.f. Spring Trap).  When grisly death is a big part of the series, I don't know if they can avoid representing that.  Whether it's executed faithfully to the tone of the series depends on the kind of movie they want to make - but I don't know if I have my fingers crossed when the source material is relatively obscure to the mainstream.  They may well choose to play fast and loose with their material, and of course we can't know how much power or desire Scott would have to stop them.  For me, I just think it's interesting how well the source material would slot into a clichéd execution straight off the bat.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in Blacklighting and Blue Blood's camp. Even if this movie actually gets made, I can't see Hollywood doing justice to all of the characteristics and oddities that make FNaF as weird as it is scary. For one, we're not even supposed to know or identify with our protagonists beyond the name, because the fact is that we're the ones in the office, not a fully-fleshed entity we're essentially controlling second-hand. Bet that goes out the window for some narmy performance from some hackneyed star Hollywood's trying to push as the next big thing. Speaking of which, I can even see this thing playing out without a narmy, cheesy tone, since the original was very sarcastic due to the silly nature of the whole set-up. It's only until the third that the idea of killer Chuck E. Cheese animatronics stopped being kitsch and started getting genuinely nauseating, and I can't see a film doing that level of building towards that kind of credibility versus going entirely for the SyFy or Asylum crowd.

So count me as pessimistic until the reviews roll in. =/

• Thumbs Up 6