Awoo.

Five Nights at Freddy's - Scott Cawthon Financially Supports Anti-LGBTQ+ Politicians

Spin Attaxx

Are you ready for a new Freddy topic?

screen01.png

This series of point-and-click survival horror games made by one guy, Scott Cawthon, comprises three games, and though at first it seems there's little going on, looking deeper reveals a more complicated, dark and tragic backstory for the events surrounding your week as an underpaid security guard.

For prosperity, here are the trailers for each of the games:

Thus far, it would seem Five Nights at Freddy's 3 is the last game in the series, especially given this image Scott posted on his website not long after the game's release. It has an air of finality to it, but 3 also leaves a few sequel hooks for a possible fourth installment.

What do you lot think - is this truly the end, or is it merely the beginning of a spiritual successor with the antagonist role handed over to new animatronics?

UPDATE: This was apparently posted in the FNAF3 Steam Discussions forum, before being deleted.

<There was an image here. It's gone now.>

The letters spell... Fredbear's. Well, looks like we might be going back to where the whole mess started!

• Thumbs Up 3

Scott was smart enough to essentially end one arc and introduce another in 3.

He set the kids' souls free; the original animatronics as we know them are essentially no more (the sadness I gain from this is some of the most conflicted I've ever had, which I think is a testament to the brilliance of the concept and characters). But, Springtrap is still alive and either has been sold to another children's chain or- worse- is running around uninhibited. What is he going to be doing? What is his fate? Will he try to get to rest or just keep killing?

He has free reign to either go forward and do something new, or to stop now and just allow the story to stand and leave the loose ends be, which is excellent positioning for him. I won't mind whichever decision he makes; even though 3's ending breaks my heart in ways, it's still a damn good ending considering everything in the narrative that came before.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, well looks like the FNaF haters has more fuel to burn but it looks like Scott made the best move and decided to give FNaF a bit of a break.

But FNaF4 will be very interesting to see and hopefully answer some more questions while still leaving it rather vague, to kick off the theories and all that jazz.

I still haven't played FNaF3 but I want to finish FNaF2 before doing so. So I really need to get to it then....

I'm not gonna finish it, am I?......

The question I want answering, and am kinda annoyed that FNAF3 didn't answer, is who is "Purple Guy". FNAF3 just sort of created and answered it's own questions, but didn't really fill in many of the blanks.

Wasn't Fredbear's the very first location?

I ponder what the plot would be there, since as far as we know, crazy shit only started happening after the first child was killed and became the Puppet.

On the other hand... FNAF 2 leaves us pondering. If only the Puppet was possessed (as the 5 kids aren't killed until the end presumably... though the minigames make you ponder when the murders happened), why were the other bajillion animatronics haywire?

There might just be something genuinely evil following this franchise around that goes beyond a simple murderer.

The kids' souls might have just been along for the ride.

• Thumbs Up 2

He's making a fourth one?! Oh come on! I'm really getting tired of these Freddy sequels. I like FNAF but there's a point where it'll start to get boring and for me it' was already starting to wear down when three was released.

*sigh*

Well in other news I've been messing around with theories about the dead children.

Dude, why do people get tired of the FnaF installments and then suddenly they're okay with things like The Walking Dead and the Resident Evil Revelations episodes? It's only been god damn $15 dollars for "three episodes" of Five Nights at Freddy's. It's just an excuse to whine.

Anyway. I don't believe things like that for a second. There's too many people who are trying to pretend they're Scott and getting people all hyped up for nothing. The series seems pretty settled even though there's a lot still missing which still bugs me and many others.

As for who the Purple Guy is, I believe this guy was the inspiration for him:

20701826.jpg

I'm not sure if that'll help but we'll probably never know fully.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well it's not just with this, I tend to feel like that about all things. Of course that's just me.

Back on topic somebody pointed a very plausible point for why the animatronics kept mistaking other people for the purple guy. What if the security uniforms were all purple and when the animatronics saw the uniforms they assumed it was there murderer.

As critical as I am of Five Night's at Freddy's 2 and 3 I actually really liked the ending of the third game. I liked how he answered enough questions, like what happened to the purple guy, whilst still leaving enough room for the player to try to speculate what happened. 

The whole reason the Five Nights mythos is so powerful is because the mystery seems very genuine. It's not like most media, where the story is seemingly made up as it goes along. Aside from Golden Freddy and the Puppet, I really do feel that Scott had all this planned in his head, at least to a vague conceptual extent. So the fact there is more mystery lingering at the end, such as the identity of the purple guy, seems very smart to me, because it's another mystery that Scott could probably bring in and seem genuine but he leaves the threads open.

I still have my own problems with the third game, albeit I much prefer it to the second game. But that ending, it's brilliant. Especially the end title screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

The question I want answering, and am kinda annoyed that FNAF3 didn't answer, is who is "Purple Guy". FNAF3 just sort of created and answered it's own questions, but didn't really fill in many of the blanks.

Does it really matter much what Purple Guy's name is, especially since we can be absolutely sure it's not any of the people who we know? To reveal an arbitrary name at this point would ironically be the game further answering its own questions. We know for certain it was a psycho employee who worked during the day shift, and that's all that's ultimately important to the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the other hand... FNAF 2 leaves us pondering. If only the Puppet was possessed (as the 5 kids aren't killed until the end presumably... though the minigames make you ponder when the murders happened), why were the other bajillion animatronics haywire?

Phone Guy mentions on Night 4 that someone (very likely the Purple Man) may have tampered with the Toy animatronics' facial recognition software, thus explaining why they go after Jeremy and Fritz despite not being possessed.

Depending on when this happened (probably before Night 2 or 3, since that's when the old animatronics become active), another possibility is that Jeremy has a criminal record that the Toys detect, and the urge to stuff him into a suit is a violent overreaction/software bug.

Phone Guy mentions on Night 4 that someone (very likely the Purple Man) may have tampered with the Toy animatronics' facial recognition software, thus explaining why they go after Jeremy and Fritz despite not being possessed.

Depending on when this happened (probably before Night 2 or 3, since that's when the old animatronics become active), another possibility is that Jeremy has a criminal record that the Toys detect, and the urge to stuff him into a suit is a violent overreaction/software bug.

My theory was that the puppet tampered with the toy animatronics. Because he (or she) was the one who wanted revenge on purple guy the most. Phone guy did say on Night 2 that it always looked like the puppet was always thinking so it is plausible that the puppet tampered with the toy animatronics.

I've praised the storytelling in this before - really great "show don't tell" example. Has a nice dark plot that I feel was wrapped up pretty nicely.

FNaF4 just seems pointless to me. I'm at least glad the dude is taking a break.

• Thumbs Up 1

Buy the iOS version of FNaF 3 that was recently released and you get this special loading screen (spoilered because large, it doesn't actually spoil anything):

pzww6ON.jpg

Buy the iOS version of FNaF 3 that was recently released and you get this special loading screen (spoilered because large, it doesn't actually spoil anything):

pzww6ON.jpg

*Takes a look*

/nopenopenopenope!

• Thumbs Up 1

I just read that the phantoms can actually kill you in the iOS version. Why though?

pzww6ON.jpg

No hidden messages. Scott, I am disappoint. Does this replace the Apple logo in the start up screen?

Did anyone ever figure out what the ten meant in the Balloon Boy FNAF3 Teaser?

He was doing a countdown on Steam but got all giddy and released the game early, pretty much.

Regarding Fredbear's and it's owner's whereabouts I though of something: What if both the owner and purple guy were working together killing children, but then, after selling the restaurant, PG got rid of the owner to prevent him from talking and then took the guard job yo continúe the sick killing cicle

Does it really matter much what Purple Guy's name is, especially since we can be absolutely sure it's not any of the people who we know? To reveal an arbitrary name at this point would ironically be the game further answering its own questions. We know for certain it was a psycho employee who worked during the day shift, and that's all that's ultimately important to the story.

Hold your horses - I didn't say anything about a name. I just want an identity. We don't know who he was other than "he's the guy that killed 'dem kids". It's more than likely he's an employee, but at present that could be just about anyone except the Phone Guy. He still feels a bit like he was plucked out of thin air, much like Spring Trap. 

All of the info we have implicates him as an employee without contradiction. The mini games in 3 show the Golden suits being used through the day, the criminal investigation targeted a specific employee, and the animatronics were targeting you simply because a previous security guard did the murders. It's not direct horse's mouth solidification, but you would be hardpressed to argue with the info we have that he wasn't an employee and instead some random joker. We also know that it wasn't Jeremy, because the murders happened before he came into work on Night 3 and he was never a criminal suspect, and we know it's not Mike because he gained employment after the murders took place. And of course Phone Guy died before Purple Guy did. So literally everyone we specifically know has an alibi.

Edited by Nepenthe

Yeah, but who was this employee and why did he do it? Give me more information on the guy. How did he get away with it, why did he go back? And also, Golden Freddy? What's up with that? We have enough to draw some fairly reasonable conclusions, but the loose ends are still a bit too vague for my liking.

I'm honestly not so sure that Scott had this whole 'Purple Guy' and child murders so clearly figured out when the first game came out. So yeah, it does look a bit vague and out of thin air like you say since it wasn't really in from the outset. It's clearly there in some form as the child murders are explicitly referred to in FNaF1, but I think that the whole concept of purple guy and his relationship with the vengeful child spirits is really a FNaF2 concept.

However, I think FNaF2 and FNaF3 pretty clearly explains who he is. He's the child-killer referred to in FNaF1 and ended up being killed by the spirits of the dead children, who inhabited the original animatronics, by being coerced into Springtrap. Honestly, aside from his name we have a pretty exact knowledge of who he is and what happened to him. He's obviously someone who's tied to the company. All we really don't know is why he killed the kids. 

I think Purple Guy is like G-Man from Half Life. We pretty much know exactly who he is and what he's done but since he has that mysterious aura, and we don't know his exact identity, it makes him seem more elusive than he actually is.

And also, Golden Freddy? What's up with that? 

Honestly, I think Golden Freddy was always just intended to be an easter egg and after the fandom loved him Scott just decided to blow his character up in FNaF2. He doesn't seem to have any real purpose as he's so vague. 

This is backed up by how little a role he plays in FNaF3, even when compared to the original animatronics.

I'm honestly not so sure that Scott had this whole 'Purple Guy' and child murders so clearly figured out when the first game came out. So yeah, it does look a bit vague and out of thin air like you say since it wasn't really in from the outset. It's clearly there in some form as the child murders are explicitly referred to in FNaF1, but I think that the whole concept of purple guy and his relationship with the vengeful child spirits is really a FNaF2 concept.

However, I think FNaF2 and FNaF3 pretty clearly explains who he is. He's the child-killer referred to in FNaF1 and ended up being killed by the spirits of the dead children, who inhabited the original animatronics, by being coerced into Springtrap. Honestly, aside from his name we have a pretty exact knowledge of who he is and what happened to him. He's obviously someone who's tied to the company. All we really don't know is why he killed the kids. 

I think Purple Guy is like G-Man from Half Life. We pretty much know exactly who he is and what he's done but since he has that mysterious aura, and we don't know his exact identity, it makes him seem more elusive than he actually is.

Honestly, I think Golden Freddy was always just intended to be an easter egg and after the fandom loved him Scott just decided to blow his character up in FNaF2. He doesn't seem to have any real purpose as he's so vague. 

This is backed up by how little a role he plays in FNaF3, even when compared to the original animatronics.

When people asked Scott Cawthon about Golden Freddy his response was "Golden Freddy just happened. I can't explain Golden Freddy."

Before the 3rd game, I was completely sold on Phone Guy and the killer being one and the same. I always assumed the object Purple Guy held in the "save them" minigame was a phone, which is where the connection emerged. That, along with Foxy being phone guys favorite animatronic coinciding with Purple Guy being outside Pirate's Cove in Foxy's minigame, and Phone Guy going out of his way to mention his distaste for the Marionette, lended to my conclusion many others shared Phone Guy and the killer were one and the same.

I just thought it was a couple of cool little connections that would mean there was a subtle overarching villain throughout the trilogy, but Scott always has tricks up his sleeve and ended up proving me dead wrong. 

With the apparent confirmation of a fourth game, I hope some more info is shed on the Purple Guy.