Awoo.

Five Nights at Freddy's - Scott Cawthon Financially Supports Anti-LGBTQ+ Politicians

Spin Attaxx

Ok, so I was just playing through it and ummmm, ok......

The game just kinda throws you in onto the world and you fight things.... with no tutorial on how the mechanics work, what do shops do and all that jazz. Unless it's one of those super short games where you spend several playthroughs and get an idea on what's going on and stuff like Binding of Issac in a way.

Oh and there's a fuckton of load times, like Sonic 06 amounts of load times.

The models do look amazing and the music is pretty neat.

idk, i'm kinda mixed here.

44 minutes ago, Banana Slamma said:

whoa.... dem graphics

This is the pinnacle of video game graphics, we as a species will never top this game. Why even bother releasing any more video games after FNAF world? everything else will look like the atari 2600 had a child with the game.com, and that child shat out a video game. Nothing will top this

Keep your dumb shitposting to the status updates. That's the only warning I'm giving you. Either contribute to topics properly or don't post.

• Thumbs Up 5

I played the demo (which you can find here), and... yeesh. I wasn't hyped for it or anything, but I gotta say... it's pretty crap.

Presentation-wise, it has the same issues I had looking at videos of Chipper and Sons - namely, it looks like "My First Game", something I'd make just to try stuff out with models and an engine (though it's not as bad as C&S). I question the use of Times New Roman as a font - it seems pretty amateurish and bland, plus sometimes I'd have Fredbear say a line, only for a character (like an exclamation mark) appear on the next line. I do also have to wonder why Scott went for an 8-bit overworld as opposed to the 3D one we saw in the first trailer.

But the actual gameplay... it's not very intuitive. You're just dropped in without any kind of tutorial or explanation of the mechanics, and the battle system's not like your other RPGs, so it kinda suffers for it. Each character has only three moves to their name, and as far as I know, every character is what they are from beginning to end - they don't get stronger, they don't learn anything else etc. Items are nonexistent - no potions, no revives, no anything. The moves aren't clear either - there's no explanation of what a move will do until you use it, and even then it's not clear. Like "Birthday" - that's a buff, I guess, but a buff to what? Speed? Attack? I don't know, and I don't think there's anything that even lists their stats or levels (I could be wrong though).

Also, it's just like an Active Time Battle system, but there's no meters in place to tell you who's nearly ready to attack next - you just have to take it on blind faith that Chica goes next before Bonnie or Mangle, for instance, so you can't really strategise. You also can't "choose" who attacks next, which you'd think you'd be able to do with this kind of control setup.  And as far as I know, there are no revive moves, so if a character dies, they're gone for the rest of the battle, so if Chica (who has no attacks at all) is the last one alive, she's already dead. Overall, fights (especially bosses) boil down to "will the enemy decide he's had enough before all my guys are beaten to death while they stand there waiting until the game decides they can move now?"

And as Soni said, the load times. They're not long, but they're pretty damn frequent - as in, everytime you leave a shop or a menu, you get one. I can easily see that getting annoying. There's not really any clear navigation or method of telling you where you need to go, and the layout of the maps don't exactly help. There's no transitions into battle either; they just happen, and you're not given a second to "get ready" as it were, especially since the fight system is pretty fast paced. The music's great, though, and the model quality likewise, even if the animations are a bit... one-note.

So yeah... if FNaF World is Scott's sendoff for the franchise, then it's a pretty big stumble out the gate.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here are a few unusual battle commands and what they do:

Birthday- Temporarily increases attack, defense, and speed. Very useful in the early parts of the game.
Waterhose- Instantly kills enemies under 30% health.
Giftboxes- Puts a gift-box at the feet of each of your team members. When they die, it will automatically bring them back to life with full health.
Hot Cheese- Put globs of hot cheese on the floor, doing damage-over-time to enemies.
Unscrew- 30% chance of instant death to one enemy.
Esc Key- Chance of death for all enemies on screen. (less likely to work than Unscrew)
Mystery Box- Swaps out all members of your party for random characters. They go back to normal after the battle is over.
Prize Ball- Performs a random attack.
Jumpscare- Stuns enemies for a few seconds. Less effective on bosses.

Scotty boy gave some descriptions on what certain moves do. Granted, it should've been mentioned in the game but hey, it's there atleast.

Ok so I spent a bit more time playing through and I am warming up to it. So far, got Balloon Boy, JJ, Marionette, Phanton Foxy and Marionette unlocked.

I've gained somewhat of strategy with atleast the Original 4. I use Freddy's Birthday to get some buffs, Foxy's Jumpscare to stun enemies and sometimes use Hot Cheese for that acid damage (if that's the proper term). Chica is my go-to healer. 

And there's also things like Bytes and Chips. Bytes are like helpers that do certain things like heal you, do some extra damage heck even, do the rare chance of a one-hit kill! Chips are somewhat vague, some you can sorta tell what they do and others are about as vague as everything else.

Overall, FNAF World is a decent spinoff RPG but Scott, what happened man?

Me boy Jim Sterling's played this:

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess the thing with FNAF World is that it kinda reminds me why Scott wasn't successful til FNAF took the world by storm. His games normally had a odd feel of cheapness, unfortunately to the point where it makes stuff like Desolate Hope honestly really difficult to play. Poor UI, sometimes weird pre-rendered visuals, and a bunch of absurd choas without proper explanation or anything to make it enjoyable. This is honestly what I think he faults as a game dev.

I'm not saying he's a bad developer, and I think he's a great guy, but he should really step it up if he wants to make more games like this. Or he can continue making more FNAF games since those seem to somehow fare way better then "The Pilgrim's Progress" and "Sit-n-Survive."

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay did anyone else get where the game just decided right out of no where to kill three of your party members for no reason?! That's what happened with me, I was doing fine in one level then suddenly black bars appeared on the screen and next thing I knew Chica, Foxy, and Freddy were dead. My mouth dropped open and I pretty much proceeded to scream "Bullcrap!" at the screen.

Now as for my thoughts on FNAF World, the game is kind of... meh. I don't hate it but I don't exactly love it like say Undertale. I'm mainly just stmbingly around the game, having no real idea what to do since the only objective is to save FNAF World. *sigh* At least I felt something when I played FNAF 2 for the first and last time... sure it caused me to slip into an anxiety attack but at least I felt something, unlike this game.

2 hours ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Okay did anyone else get where the game just decided right out of no where to kill three of your party members for no reason?! That's what happened with me, I was doing fine in one level then suddenly black bars appeared on the screen and next thing I knew Chica, Foxy, and Freddy were dead. My mouth dropped open and I pretty much proceeded to scream "Bullcrap!" at the screen.

Aw yes, the "Esc Key" attack.

There's a chance where it can instakill ya crew....

yeah, it's pretty cheap. but hey, get yourself a reaper byte so you can instakill it as well.

I wasn't expecting much more than a minimalist time-killing RPG that wouldn't be out of place on a smartphone, and that's what we got, and I didn't have to pay for the full game to play it so I'm happy with it. It's got even more of that 90's PC game nostalgia thanks to the brightly colored pre-rendered graphics, and the battles are pretty fun. I have yet to play an RPG-style battle in any game that doesn't keep me entertained (other than Find Mii) so this is an easy winner for me, but I really don't think it's worth $9...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well at least he's fixing it. I hope he fixes how turns are handled an at least makes it easier to understand where to go... I'm uh... lost in World 6.

I feel bad for him in a way. Over ambition can really bite you in the ass if it gets to your head and you can't handle it. On paper this can really be nice little spinoff, the execution out the gate just stumbled into the mud.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Spin Attaxx said:

OH! Goody!

I really did enjoy reading the Silver Eyes, as soon as I started reading it, I was hooked. Finished reading it during the night a few weeks ago.

And it really sucks to hear that Scott just got too giddy for his own good that he forgot such features, well I hope the future updates can help make the FNAF World a much more enjoyable experience. Even though, I'm already having quite a bit of fun with it as it is.

Okay so the game has already received an update, there's now descriptions for the attacks but warning you have to be a quick reader and thinker since the battles are still too fast to give much thinking room. Also he added in a map, a glorious, glorious map! Yeah I got lost in the game quite a bit so I'm happy to see the map. Also the light in the mines has been enlarged so you can see better, once again that improvement is much appreciated.

Onto other things, I discovered something about Hard Mode...

Spoiler

Scott Cawthon himself is the final boss. Well of Hard Mode at least and funny enough is what he says before you battle him "So it's your fault then, for my misery. It's never enough for you people. Don't you get it? I can't do this anymore! I won't... It was fun being the puppet-master, but now I grow weary. It's time to put you in your place."

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little confused, the reviews on the FNAF World steam page seem to be positive, Is the game really as bad as you guys say it is?

rec.thumb.png.465ba14971b73669c8ba0834ee

12 minutes ago, CD Sanic said:

I'm a little confused, the reviews on the FNAF World steam page seem to be positive, Is the game really as bad as you guys say it is?

Look below, the top reviews are generally negative.

I appreciate that Scott is already showing commitment to substantially improving the game, but it would honestly need an entire revamp to be much more enjoyable (Since combat is insanely and unnecessarily chaotic). However, I do think Scott will fulfill on many of the criticisms the game has, so improvements are definitely coming.

19 minutes ago, CD Sanic said:

I can't say this for everyone but it's quite disappointing for most people (myself included) that FNAF World was released with the good lack of needed features that could make the game more enjoyable for them.

I don't think that many people can say that World is an actual bad game but rather decent though very disappointing.

Can I just hope that the Esc Key attack gets nerfed, I've gone from being annoyed by the attack to downright hating it thanks to my second encounter with that squid boss. GAH!!!!!!!!! It seems it doesn't matter how high my defense or even the fact that I hadn't lost any health, he's still able to make my party members drop like flies thanks to that bloody attack!

14 hours ago, CD Sanic said:

This is a game which suffers from poor design over anything wrong with it technically. 

Is the game buggy. Aside from loading times no.

The problem from what I've seen are two things.

1: It's a game which has had little if any user testing. It's very hard to know what's going on or what attacks do unless you designed them.

Pretend you didn't see the posts about what the various attacks did. How long would it take you to figure that out?

This also has an impact over some of the more bullshit moves like unscrew and the escape key attack.

2: the jump from the rpg world to the battles is quite a cluster fuck. 

It's a design problem, not a technical one.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I've seen all the endings and I have to say without giving away any spoilers, all of them are very anti-climatic. This game is turning out pretty disappointing, I mean it's an okay game but it isn't really hitting any good spots to leave a memorable impact. The only memorable moment I got from this game is the moments of rage against the second encounter with Supergoon... bloody esc key.

21 hours ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Okay so the game has already received an update, there's now descriptions for the attacks but warning you have to be a quick reader and thinker since the battles are still too fast to give much thinking room. Also he added in a map, a glorious, glorious map! Yeah I got lost in the game quite a bit so I'm happy to see the map. Also the light in the mines has been enlarged so you can see better, once again that improvement is much appreciated.

Onto other things, I discovered something about Hard Mode...

Hide contents

Scott Cawthon himself is the final boss. Well of Hard Mode at least and funny enough is what he says before you battle him "So it's your fault then, for my misery. It's never enough for you people. Don't you get it? I can't do this anymore! I won't... It was fun being the puppet-master, but now I grow weary. It's time to put you in your place."

Well, I don't personally play FNAF (No, don't worry, I'll leave my comments about my very negative opinion at the door), but maybe if Scott had just A. Concluded the story that he hinted at, instead of just putting a few bread crumbs here and there, then maybe people won't keep asking him for more games. Then again, I generally don't even see many asking for FNAF sequels anyway, and it always seems to be Scott just rushing out a game ASAP, even releasing the games earlier. I have nothing against the guy, and I'm happy he managed to turn a failure into a success, and I'm happy people enjoyed FNAF 1-4, but honestly, in my opinion, developing a game takes far more time than what he's placing into it, and FNAF World is a crowning example of that. FNAF 4 released when? Around July if I remember correctly, meaning there's about six months development time, and he still released it early.

It's not nearly as bad when it's simply a one room horror game based on jump scares, and all you have to do is tweak the gameplay and the mechanics a little, but a fucking RPG of all things requires years of development time to get a game polished and released. Undertale took what? Near 3 years to develop? Kingdom Hearts 3 is almost at it's third year in development, and we don't even have a concrete release other than "In Development". Is it really any wonder why FNAF World has turned out the way it really has? A six month development cycle for a fucking RPG is something I would expect out of Digital Homicide, not Scott.

36 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

A six month development cycle for a fucking RPG is something I would expect out of Digital Homicide, not Scott.

No, Digi Hom would make it in two weeks; partially because they'd nick several character models, program a basic and unfinished fight system (or nick one off of the Unity asset store) then slap a Google image on the title screen and shit it out onto Steam Greenlight, possibly under a sockpuppet too.

At least Scott makes his own models :U

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Spin Attaxx said:

No, Digi Hom would make it in two weeks; partially because they'd nick several character models, program a basic and unfinished fight system (or nick one off of the Unity asset store) then slap a Google image on the title screen.

At least Scott makes his own models :U

Fair enough. My point though was that a very short development time for RPGs is something I'd expect Digital Homicide, which six months generally is a very short development cycle for a first RPG game in the series.

and being fair, those models he made is generally the reason FNAF was created in the first place, just saying :U

To be fair, his models only look off when Scott tries to do organic/cutsey (though I think FNAF World gets on fine, probably because they're stylised/they actually are chibi animatronics as opposed to merely looking like them). When it comes to robots/mechanical/sci-fi things, though, the dude shines. I mean, the Nightmare animatronics are one thing, but if you look at his robot models in The Desolate Hope... fuck, man. Shit's gorgeous.

Spoiler

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/298180/ss_d1276c2f643fdb11e2589a596523b5a20b048597.jpg

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/537381735035115776/2C7E94B4B8BE01BF7E9F11069A5CDDF787DB4810/1024x0.resizedimage

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/the-desolate-hope/images/f/fc/Terrototik.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/640?cb=20150214142222

• Thumbs Up 8