Awoo.

Five Nights at Freddy's - Scott Cawthon Financially Supports Anti-LGBTQ+ Politicians

Spin Attaxx

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I had always thought it was a pc exclusive title with the way it works.  outside the vr title.

Well now you know.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Rene-Sance said:

Has Scott actually ever specifically said anything about working actively against the LGBTQ+ community, or is this a matter of him donating to Republican/Conservative candidates for whom that is one of many issues?

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=scott+cawthon&type=donors

The facts don't lie. He's donating to candidates who are actively working against the LGBTQ community. Even if Cawthon himself somehow wasn't against the LGBT community personally, his actions are still enabling very bigoted people to act in such a fashion.

Additionally, his non-apology on Reddit:

Doesn't exactly help his case, and at best is tone deaf and at worst actively dismissive at his own behavior.

Not trying to take a stand on that front here, just wondering...which politicians should I be donating to in case I one day become famous thanks to something I created? There's yet to be a perfect one of them who supports/doesn't support something I may/may not agree with.

Hard truth is that there's no such thing as a perfect politician. Everyone has some kind of flaw or problem that you won't agree with. All you can do is choose the ones who best align with what you believe in, and who's positions cause the least amount of damage/seem to at least bring the most benefit to yourself, others, and to society.

The Right Wing at this point is virulently anti-LGBT, racist, actively supports traitors and the dangerous cult of QAnon, and their so called "economic policies" are consistently failures or actively trying to force a feudal society where everyone who isn't them is basically poor, brutalized or a slave... Democratic and Progressive parties are not perfect, but at least they don't actively hate and try to systemically discriminate, brutalize, and outright attempt to exterminate non-conforming groups and racial minorities for merely existing.

Where does this end, exactly? Can you appreciate the art and not the artist? Plenty of people love MJ's music, and he contributed to Sonic. He may have very well been a pedophile for all we know. Are we promoting pedophilia by buying Sonic merchandise?

This at the end of the day is going to depend on a person by person basis. The simple truth that you forget is that Michael Jackson is dead; his actions (whether they occurred or not is something I'm not sure of, since I haven't done any research on the topic) can't cause any damage anymore, even if those who might have been hurt by said actions still have to deal with the aftermath of said damage.

Cawthon is VERY MUCH still active and and taking the money you choose to give him to give to dangerous traitors, and is at best enabling their behavior and at worst, actively endorsing their behavior. This is not something you can just separate from his work, especially when he's still shown no signs of changing his behavior or mind.

No one can stop you from choosing to enjoy his work even knowing how much of an awful person he's revealed himself to be. At the same time, no one is under any obligation to indulge his bullshit and his work if they don't want to, or if they feel that said work is clearly too tied to said artist for them to be able to enjoy it. And they aren't under any obligation to view you in a positive light if they know you choose to support Cawthon's work even despite everything exposed about him. Again, it's on a person by person basis.

This guy's video I think provides at least one perspective on the matter of separating art from artist:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/lgbtq-jk-rowling-harry-potter-the-big-picture/

• Thumbs Up 3

A good majority of right-wing people aren't anti-LGBT, more and more actually are themselves in that category.

If that were the case most big right wing politicians wouldn’t be actively pushing anti-lgbtq policies, since they’d want to appeal to their base and what sells to them and gains them vocal community support

I get where you're coming from, but these are very weak arguments

It’s a weak argument to tell you that giving money to someone that blatantly uses that money to fund people that do active harm to marginalized communities is quite literally shitty and sending a clear message, and cannot in anyway be “supporting the art, not the artist”?

• Thumbs Up 1

If everyone tried their very best to avoid giving money to politicians and/or creators that at some point have supported something they fundamentally disagreed with, we'd never buy anything.

Come off it. This is a very blatant case where a person is directly causing harm to a marginalized community. You have a VERY easy way of not supporting him if you want to continue playing the games. There is NO reason you can’t just buy these fucking used. It’s a win fucking win for everyone but the bigot. You’re not being cute with this “ah but all of society as fucked so why even try having morals or lines” shit

• Thumbs Up 5

It's easy to treat "political disagreements" as no big deal when they aren't putting you and your loved ones' lives on the line.

• Thumbs Up 5

It’s really quite sad how people are going out of there way to try and either defend the guy, or paint this as a “both sides” issue. OR, try and turn it on everyone criticizing Scott to suggest they’re hypocrites that got no place to talk because they have a iPhone or some shit

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Jarringness of this thread's current title aside, yeah, I unfortunately figured something like this would crop up at some point.

I mean, you look at almost literally everything about the man going into this franchise and all that came of it, it was only a matter of time when we live in a world when the star of a beloved family sitcom, as well as creator of a memorable Saturday Morning Cartoon and a preschool show, is also someone with a long list of spiked drinks. 

It's not as awful as that, but it could be a whole lot better too.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

the star of a beloved family sitcom, as well as creator of a memorable Saturday Morning Cartoon and a preschool show, is also someone with a long list of spiked drinks.

I dunno who those are specifically.

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Bill Cosby

Oh, I misread the post. I kinda figured out that Bill Cosby was a subject matter, but I didn't read it correctly and thought they were talking about several different people.

2 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Oh, I misread the post. I kinda figured out that Bill Cosby was a subject matter, but I didn't read it correctly and thought they were talking about several different people.

Oh man, I would hope not.

Then again, #Metoo was already trending around that time, so maybe that's a justified reading

For anyone who even cares anymore, FNAF seems to keep it's footing with Scott outta the picture, with Security Breach appearing to be on track for the end of the year for now, and the books are doing okay to.

The FNAF film ain't as lucky, with Chris Columbus having been tossed out from not being satisfying enough for what Scott wanted (this is probably the one Freddy related thing he's directly in charge anymore). I was one of the more cautiously optimistic people when I heard there'd be a movie and was curious to see what Scott had in mind for it, but now I don't want it to be made more than ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Kotaku get the outrage from gamers when even slamming a guy that funds bigots, because they called him “weird”. The low stakes outrage gamers will have when it comes to Kotaku sometimes gets ridiculous I swear. Yes, it’s very weird that a Christian that claims to support lgbtq people funds openly anti-lgbtq politicians. He’s weird, to say the least, if I was the Kotaku writer, I’d probably be saying worse shit than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

Turned around a couple of times and next thing ya know, Security Beach is finally being released. Recall the game apparently turned up at this year's E3 or whatever and supposedly got the most buzz of any game at the show; between that and some of the newer footage that made itself available around that the time, couldn't help but have a few concerns about it.

Wasn't in the stores I'd been through earlier, though, so I'm guessing it's technically out tomorrow or something. Plenty of merch though--the small ass GameStop I frequent had one of the cabinets in the middle it's floor covered entirely in plush's, cups, figures, and stuff 

Guess reviews and reactions will be out then 

EDIT: It seems a select few concerns were warranted after all

I’m watching a playthrough online cause fuck buying it, and this game on PS5 is a trainwreck. Lots of soft lock glitches and overall very unpolished, where the animatronics will get stuck and not chase you as a result. The person I’m watching at the very beginning experienced a glitch where a character didn’t show up where they were supposed to, so the game was just stuck so they had to restart. Fucking. Yikes. Apparently everyone’s advising anyone playing the game get it on PS4. This poor launch is the last thing the series needed after everything that came out about Scott, and his bunch of bigoted defenders started attacking/harassing people online. 

The PC version at any more stable.

Steel Wool's PR is already telling us that patches will come, no promises nor indications of when. As they said themselves, a team their size versus a game of this ambition was an accident waiting to happen in hindsight.

Nevertheless, the playtesting and greenlighting businesses are far, far  overdue to get some stricter standards for once. Giving greater time proportional to the lesser sizes of QA people available for a start

Even on PC there’s chunks of the game apparently just inaccessible. 

Spoiler

At the end of the game Vanessa tells the player to “go to the main stage” for a “reward” and if you head there, nothing triggers. Looked all over online and no one’s been able to unlock anything regarding that phrase of hers. Hell, it’s a crapshoot if her line even triggers since it happens at like 5:57 AM, and only will apparently trigger in a elevator before that time. Vanessa and Vanny already are underutilized in the game but this supposedly being a chunk of story content being badly programmed in and inaccessible, is just embarrassing. 

Saddest thing is, despite how broken this game currently is, the FNAF fandom is eating it up and shooting down anyone currently hard criticizing it as a rush job that was clearly undercooked. Some of this shit I don’t think they can blame “over ambition” on, it’s just bad and inexcusable 

You know what this is giving me flashbacks to? Alice Madness Returns, except simultaneously more expansive and gutted.

Not for nothing, I actually thought the game was doing pretty good up until around what I guess you could call the halfway point, which may or may not involve going into spoilers.

I will say that the real spoilers--what with the villains and the endings-- feel the most egregious in regards to questionable cohesiveness, a lack of context, or in the one particular ending's case, both. And that's without getting into the actual endings, which (with the bizarre exceptions of the one I'm alluding to as well as half of what I'll call the third ending for obvious reasons) are presented in a way that is super inconsistent with the rest of the game and are therefore the biggest cries of how something drastically happened in development.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

At the end of the game Vanessa tells the player to “go to the main stage” for a “reward” and if you head there, nothing triggers. Looked all over online and no one’s been able to unlock anything regarding that phrase of hers. Hell, it’s a crapshoot if her line even triggers since it happens at like 5:57 AM, and only will apparently trigger in a elevator before that time. Vanessa and Vanny already are underutilized in the game but this supposedly being a chunk of story content being badly programmed in and inaccessible, is just embarrassing. 

Spoiler

I was under the impression that might've been an intentional misdirection, considering she's asking you to turn completely around from escaping and had back to last place you saw the Daycare Attendant when Freddy already told you that your means of fending him off is gone now. Didn't stop them from at least leaving a trollish item behind or doing special kill screen if so, though.

--------------------

Watching Dawko's interview with Steel Wool since I never got far in it... they probably knew.

Kinda had to, since it was apparently about a week ago. Interestingly, one of the devs and another member both used to work at Telltale(plus Pixar) and his enthusiasm does fit all three games well. But there's a point where a particular question gets asked and while the relatively stolid Executive Producer that's alongside him answered it, his face noticeably loses its elation for that moment.

In other news, a few tidbits from their answers include

* the Daycare Attendant being cast when a crew member suggested it after a Freddy session,

*Freddy's role in the story originally belonging to an old Security Guard until they pointed out to Scott how cool it'd be for Freddy to be a protagonist,

* They expected the game to be Rated T at $39.99, improv musician Allen Simpson composed the games music as well as the unused Showtime song from Help Wanted,

* McCaffrey would get emails from Scott of things to put in the game(which he sometimes had no idea what to do with, to Scott's lack of surprise),

* Cawthon himself is responsible for many of the arcade drawings alongside his own art team,

* Topolski's personal attempt at a 100% collection run apparently started at 8:30 pm before just deciding to stop at 1:30 am, 

* McCaffrey's excitement for releasing the game was "11 1/2 terrified"

* They've discussed doing Dev diaries online over an art book to document the development process

* A final word to get people excited for were "Pizza flavored cotton candy?" and Schematics. The former is notable in that it isn't heard in the video, but Dawko evidently repeats it.

(Hope I'm not editing too much)

3 months late, but with all the FNAF discussions going on, decided to finally check out MattPat’s response to the Scott shit and….yeah it’s about as spineless as I figured it was (as it tends to be for most popular, especially straight white, gaming YouTubers these days that wanna keep making big loads of money and access so continue to push and hype products that are directly benefiting shitty people that are doing harm to communities, see: Activision and Ubisoft) to ultimately say “yeah I’m probably supporting and funding a bigot that funds shitty harmful politicians, but it’s worth it cause it also funds the devs (a statement frequently proven wrong because devs don’t get paid based on goddamn game sales, it’s a hourly wage already paid beforehand)” has got to be the most middle finger thing you can do with your platform as a wealthy privileged white straight male that by his own admission does not understand how this shit feels as an oppressed minority. The fact he got praise over this is fucking ridiculous. To try and pull the “I’ve got gay friends” excuse to justify your actions especially here is all kinds of gross man come on.

He may as well apply this train of logic to Activison while he’s at it. “yeah bad people will get money, but if I don’t fund them, I’m hurting the devs, and the fanbase and not supporting the amazing community. These games are bigger than Kotick, and the shareholders, and other executives” *eye roll* Like, you can support the community and fans and their work still? You can even cover the lore still, all without directly funding a dude that gives money to anti lgbtq politicians. What are you worrying about by not buying the game new??? (Like that’s the bear minimum, I’d have suggested ulterior methods, but let’s be real, that’s never gonna catch on in mainstream content creation circles)

Not even kidding, I’d respect him more if he were just more honest and blunt, and said the money and sponsorships he got from covering and hyping up FNAF was too good to pass up on. Cause his whole channel is bigger than FNAF by this point, if he wanted he could drop it and continue to be successful icon on YouTube. He doesn’t owe the franchise his loyalty. But like…if you’re a FNAF content creator like him, Mark, etc. that wants to come out and say stuff like “what Scott has done is bad” at the very least you could buy the game used to gesture SOME sort of protest against bs like this instead of “it’s bad but-“ a line marginalized groups frequently have to hear from the masses when genuine support and solidarity with us inconveniences their lives

So Radical Soda has been livestreaming this, and filed fire a refund live on camera after the game prices itself to be just too unbearably broken.

Disaster. 

On 12/18/2021 at 6:22 AM, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

I was under the impression that might've been an intentional misdirection, considering she's asking you to turn completely around from escaping and had back to last place you saw the Daycare Attendant when Freddy already told you that your means of fending him off is gone now. Didn't stop them from at least leaving a trollish item behind or doing special kill screen if so, though.

--------------------

Watching Dawko's interview with Steel Wool since I never got far in it... they probably knew.

Kinda had to, since it was apparently about a week ago. Interestingly, one of the devs and another member both used to work at Telltale(plus Pixar) and his enthusiasm does fit all three games well. But there's a point where a particular question gets asked and while the relatively stolid Executive Producer that's alongside him answered it, his face noticeably loses its elation for that moment.

In other news, a few tidbits from their answers include

* the Daycare Attendant being cast when a crew member suggested it after a Freddy session,

*Freddy's role in the story originally belonging to an old Security Guard until they pointed out to Scott how cool it'd be for Freddy to be a protagonist,

* They expected the game to be Rated T at $39.99, improv musician Allen Simpson composed the games music as well as the unused Showtime song from Help Wanted,

* McCaffrey would get emails from Scott of things to put in the game(which he sometimes had no idea what to do with, to Scott's lack of surprise),

* Cawthon himself is responsible for many of the arcade drawings alongside his own art team,

* Topolski's personal attempt at a 100% collection run apparently started at 8:30 pm before just deciding to stop at 1:30 am, 

* McCaffrey's excitement for releasing the game was "11 1/2 terrified"

* They've discussed doing Dev diaries online over an art book to document the development process

* A final word to get people excited for were "Pizza flavored cotton candy?" and Schematics. The former is notable in that it isn't heard in the video, but Dawko evidently repeats it.

(Hope I'm not editing too much)

Oh Scott was involved in SB? I vaguely remember him saying he was gonna do one(?) more game and then hand it off to someone, I didn't know which.

I don't like playing horror games so only watched letsplays and gametheories for the series, but it has been a very fun ride. Scoot is undoubtedly flawed/ignorant, but from what I know he has been very supportive of the fandom and community, donated to a sh*t ton of charities, and never actively called to harm anyone (unlike say, JK Rowling who I hear openly hate trans people).  I hope he has a nice retirement in peace.

Philanthropy isn’t exactly a moral indication of one’s character. Jeff Bezos donates to charities, as does Activison. Hell, even jk Rowling has. And it doesn’t matter if he hasn’t called to harm anyone. Directly, knowingly funding, politicians that make it clear their anti-lgbtq stances and desires to remove rights from us, and doubling down and saying “wahhh those are my political beliefs I stand by them please respect that” still harms us whether he claims he’s a good person or not. It flies in direct contradiction to his supposed support of those very communities he claims to respect 

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

So Radical Soda has been livestreaming this, and filed fire a refund live on camera after the game prices itself to be just too unbearably broken.

Disaster. 

I saw this guy's overly long review of Lost World a year or two back. He's somewhat clumsy with his sense of humor, but man can he get a laugh when it lands.

"Did he just die on stage? Oh no, I just saw my ex in the crowd!"

But man, looks even more like people like Dawko, GTlive, and that one channel with no commentary got lucky from what I've seen. 

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Oh Scott was involved in SB? I vaguely remember him saying he was gonna do one(?) more game and then hand it off to someone, I didn't know which.

I assume he was talking about "Into Madness" or whatever that one pitch was called and just pulled a light Clone Wars with this game, given Steel Wool themselves otherwise seem to be responsible for the way the story is actually set up.

Although given how that itself goes, part of me can't help but wonder if, among other things, he did have more involvement than we are aware before suddenly bowing out. It's unlikely, but there has to be some correlation and/or explanation.

31 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I assume he was talking about "Into Madness" or whatever that one pitch was called and just pulled a light Clone Wars with this game, given Steel Wool themselves otherwise seem to be responsible for the way the story is actually set up.

Although given how that itself goes, part of me can't help but wonder if, among other things, he did have more involvement than we are aware before suddenly bowing out. It's unlikely, but there has to be some correlation and/or explanation.

Ah, thanks for the input. Maybe that's what happened?

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Philanthropy isn’t exactly a moral indication of one’s character. Jeff Bezos donates to charities, as does Activison. Hell, even jk Rowling has. And it doesn’t matter if he hasn’t called to harm anyone. Directly, knowingly funding, politicians that make it clear their anti-lgbtq stances and desires to remove rights from us, and doubling down and saying “wahhh those are my political beliefs I stand by them please respect that” still harms us whether he claims he’s a good person or not. It flies in direct contradiction to his supposed support of those very communities he claims to respect 

...uh, I'll put it under spoilers cuz it's a bit long and Idk if it's off-topic.

Spoiler

I just want to make sure, do you agree that

1)Every politician believes and practices something bad
2)Donating to politicians doesn’t mean believing in everything they say
3)Certain political/religious stance does not equal "evil" (republican/democrat, voting for Trump/Biden, being Christian, etc.)

I refuse to have a black and white mentality. I try to have a mature point of view. LGBT support is important. I also know there's like a shit t*n of other issues that may impact someone's life (employment, police brutality, healthcare, disability, religion, racism, immigration, and so on). From what I know, he supported a politician for his economy/foreign policy. There may have been a better choice (idk what the other candidates or their policies were), but unless you can find a perfect politician that can solve everything, I can't call him a monster for prioritizing one issue over the other.

I think people are justified in being disappointed in him and wanting him to change. It's reasonable to disagree with him politically, I believe many people are scared and feel threatened by this information. But projecting/shoving words in his mouth (is there actual proof he hates LGBT aside from who he donated to?), actively harassing him (remember the whole doxxing and death threat thing?), saying everything good he did doesn't count anymore, and/or trying to morally police others with a "us vs them" mentality (you're with us or you're wrong) is kinda sh*t.

• Thumbs Up 1