Awoo.

Pokkén Tournament "Get ready for the next battle on March 18th, worldwide"

Ducktor Naldush

• 2 weeks later...

That poster looks pretty rad but I have to agree that the extra stuff is unnecessary.

They're also missing characters on the second half, namely Chandelure and Braixen.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the complaints I've seen it, surprisingly enough, is that the game is more complex than it needs to be. I remember people being afraid it was going to be just a simplified Tekken.

I've actually had my copy of the game since Wednesday (hooray for unexpectedly early deliveries!) and I'm really, really enjoying it. It truly is one of those "easy to get into, difficult to master" titles and a nice entry point for people like myself who aren't especially great at most fighting games.

Admittedly there is quite a bit to get your head around - the phase shift mechanics, the attack triangle (normal-counter-grab), the synergy gauge, the support gauge... but it's not too complicated. It's just a case of knowing what to focus on and when, as in the heat of battle it's often easy to forget to watch your opponent's move to counter it when all you want to do is pummel them senseless to build up your synergy gauge.

I'm currently up to the Chroma League and it's definitely getting tougher, but I think the difficulty curve is just right. It starts off easy and gradually gets tougher as you move up the ranks. If I jumped into the online mode though against fighting game aficionados, well, that would probably be quite a different story... *shakes with fear*

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a go wit the demo this morning.  Gameplay is fantastic.  It's fluid, complex enough for me to feel there's some real strategy needed and, most importantly for me, it feels exactly like something straight out of the anime.  But god, I wish there more Pokémon thrown in though.  Frankly, I'd love this to be the new way to fight Pokémon in the main games.  At least incorporate a little bit of Pokken into it.

Yeah the gameplay itself is way better than I thought it would be, but I agree that the game could have done with just a few more playable characters. It's not inherently a problem as they're (mostly) very different to each other, and the single player mode definitely encourages you to just pick one Pokemon and master their moveset (as you can level them up from battling). However, when you're climbing up the Ferrum League ranks and you have to plough through multiple opponents who have the same Pokemon time and time again, it can feel a little repetitive.

I'd be totally down for some DLC. Hopefully Pokken sells well so they consider it, or perhaps even a sequel for the NX.

11 hours ago, Conando said:

One of the complaints I've seen it, surprisingly enough, is that the game is more complex than it needs to be. I remember people being afraid it was going to be just a simplified Tekken.

If the game was too simplified, it wouldn't have garnered the attention of the competitive Fighting game players, who themselves have been enjoying the game.

Anyway, yeah, I wish this game had at least 20 characters at the start (to fill in those 4 empty spaces on the character select screen), hopefully DLC will eventually come.

• 2 months later...

So, new files found in the code, and an odd number so it's possible they are characters. No idea when they'll be announced, but figure by EVO. Scizor was on my shortlist

http://gonintendo.com/stories/259491-pokken-tournament-update-includes-mention-of-darkrai-scizor-emp?page=1#comment-74630

Pokken Tournament update includes mention of Darkrai, Scizor, Empoleon

15 June, 2016 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 5

Darkrai2.0.png

Whenever a game update comes out, there are people that pour through the data to see what's hidden away. Those data miners have come up with some interesting finds. Apparently there are lines of data that relate to Darkrai, Scizor and Empoleon. Now we don't know if these characters are going to be added to the game or not, but it's certainly interesting to see that they're referenced in the new update.

More support would be great, and it's odd we haven't gotten any by now

• 3 weeks later...

Well were getting a new character reveal on July 20th

8 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Well were getting a new character reveal on July 20th

I bet it's another clone or Fire starter.

Unless it's Greninja, Swampert, Venusaur, or Hawlucha, I'm not interested.

But there aren't any clone characters in Pokken and before you say it Pikachu and P.Libre play nothing a like same goes for Mewtwo and Shadow Mewtwo. From Mando's earlier post it's either going to be Darkrai, Scizor or Empoleon. I'm sure Greninja will get his chance to shine soon.

Correction, @Dejimon11 Launch is the 20th, 14th is the announcement. Know what else is the day after the 14th? EVO. Expect a Wii-u or additional character announcement there, or just the western one.

Also could be all 3 pokemons, the Japanese language lacks plurals

• 2 weeks later...

So in addition to Garchomp, Braixen, and Shadowtwo, the arcade game is getting a fourth character.. this one's actually new!

Oh and the arcade is getting soon new features..

Today a special NicoNico stream aired for Pokkén Tournament and within this, revealed a brand new character which will be available to play in the arcade game next week on July 20th alongside Garchomp, Braixen and Shadow Mewtwo. This character is Darkrai and it is a Technique Pokémon. It also confirmed that many of the Wii U version stages are to hit the arcade version of the game

It also introduced a new mode for the arcade game called Mission Panel where you achieve certain mission objectives within a period of time to unlock various boosts and updates. A lot of new clothing items have been added to the arcade version, too.

From Serebii

• Thumbs Up 2

So is Darkrai being added to the Wii U version too, or...? And what of Scizor and Empoleon?

1 hour ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

So is Darkrai being added to the Wii U version too, or...? And what of Scizor and Empoleon?

He's in the Wii U versions code. Of course he will be, its just a matter of when. For now its only an arcade version update.

You should of seen that coming since it was leaked last month that we would be seeing Darkrai, Empoleon and Scizor. 

On 7/14/2016 at 7:50 AM, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

They're most likely going to be added in after they've had some time in arcades and then when they are rebalanced, if need be, they will be added to the console port.

• 2 months later...

It has been announced that a brand new character is to be announced for the arcade version of Pokkén Tournament on October 13th 2016. No hints have been given to the identity of this specific Pokémon or if it'll come to the Wii U version but we'll provide full details as and when it comes so be sure to check back.

Who's that Pokemon?

Rumor has it it's going to be Scizor or Empoleon. I hope for scizor- as my inner 12 year old would be so mega chuffed to be able to play as Scizor in a fighting game

• Thumbs Up 4