Awoo.

Pokkén Tournament "Get ready for the next battle on March 18th, worldwide"

Ducktor Naldush

9 hours ago, dabbido said:

Interesting so at least it shouldn't be a pokémon that's very popular or that anyone expects. But guys don't jump the board yet, that list has english names, remember in japan the name changes. So Some of this might change, unless the guy actually looked up in japanese. Anyways I'm excited.

3 hours ago, dabbido said:

Yeah... it's most likely not a starter. Umbreon would be nice, but I'm mostly hoping for Flygon, Tyrantrum, Tyranitar, Aggron and both Hitmon Lee/chan are good options too. So yeah if you wanna check em all, here's the list of all pokémon and japanese names: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Pok%C3%A9mon_names  so you can ctrl + f (find) and insert the "  " character. 

That's what the list I posted, the smashboard guys took a japanese reference list and copied the american names) So It's an accurate, and complete-ish list. personally, I'd go for Tyrantrum, both Rock and a freaken T-rex, and a unique playstyle too... long term I really, really, want a serpent type. Heracross or Umbreon wouldn't be bad either

Edit: Scyther would be pretty cool though specially since we don't have a Bug type. Also a really cool visual chart I found of possible canidates

l0rXlgh.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, Granbull's also on the list?  I highly doubt it's going to make the cut, but I'm actually quite fond of its design as a more successful example of early-gen simplicity.

On 1/9/2016 at 8:25 PM, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

That's what the list I posted, the smashboard guys took a japanese reference list and copied the american names) So It's an accurate, and complete-ish list. personally, I'd go for Tyrantrum, both Rock and a freaken T-rex, and a unique playstyle too... long term I really, really, want a serpent type. Heracross or Umbreon wouldn't be bad either

Edit: Scyther would be pretty cool though specially since we don't have a Bug type. Also a really cool visual chart I found of possible canidates

l0rXlgh.jpg

Yeah I noticed my bad. xD Thought you just included the english names. But yeah, nice of you to post that chart. I'd also love Tyrantrum. I agree with the idea of a serpent Pokémon it'd be pretty unique. I'd go with Serperior c: 

17 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

l0rXlgh.jpg

They may put goomy in pokken? Let's see where this may end up going.

Guys! I think I cracked the code!

Its going to be undoubtedly Honchkrow!

Hear me out. My bias for the best pokemon ever aside, Honchkrow will the only logical choice. You're probably asking yourself, "how the fuck does a bird fight?" This is where being naive will end up having you with a fist full of feathers!

Firstly, let's look at the roster. We got a lot of humanoid characters (Lucario, Machamp, Gardevoir, Blaziken and arguably Weavile and Gengar ), a bunch of reptiles (Charizard, Sceptile), Pikachus, and Suicine, a 4 legged combatant. This roster is pretty diverse but they did add Suicine to the mix, something that fighting games will rarely ever do. So there's a chance a less humanoid character has a chance to fight in Pokken. Now you can argue that every other pokemon listed has a chance because of this. But let's face the facts, they want every single pokemon to feel unique and they haven't done a bird pokemon yet. But why Honchkrow? Let's take a look!

So Honchkrow is a big crow right? You'd think its not suited for combat. But let's look at its inspirations first. Crows and corvids in general are very social animals and can communicate with other crows. And while they do usually fly away from threats, they can be quite territorial. There has been reports of crow bomb diving people just to defend their nests. This could potentially become one of Honchkrow's moves, summoning his friends to attack as a way of zoning. Honchkrow's other inspiration is based off the Mafia. What are the Mafia known for? Beating up people! Honchkrow is no different since its willing to fight pokemon face to face when its thrown out. These two inspirations for Honchkrow is a key factor for it. But what else can Honchkrow can do? Let's look at his movepool!

Looking at Honchkrow's movepool we can see he has a variety of moves he can use. He naturally learns Night Slash, Wing Attack, and Sucker Punch. He also can learn Dark Pulse naturally as well so he can use that as another zoning tool. Pursuit can be another move he can use as either as a charge attack or like how it worked in the Capcom games where it attacks down opponents. Its TM/HM move list is pretty interesting as well. It could use Steel Wing, Shadow Ball, Payback, Fly, and heck Giga Impact. You can argue that the series doesn't canonically show pokemon using these moves but Pikachu in the anime learns Steel Tail, a TM move by training so anything seriously goes. His Egg Moves are the best part because he can learn BRAVE BIRD, you know a really awesomely strong attack? Heck it could probably even use Mirror Move as a counter. Needless to say Honchkrow has a diverse movepool it can use for Pokken. But you're now shouting "there hasn't been birds in fighting games!"

There is Pet Shop in the Capcom Jojo game and he has arguably less to work with than Honchkrow due to having 1 major appearance. And yes he's the most broken character in the game due to being the only one with an infinite that he can consistently pull off. Being small and flying doesn't help his case either. But if that's too extreme for you then how about a penguin?

While Chronos and his Pheonix form is outright broken because they were supposed to be due to being a boss character, Chronos' Penguin form? Not so much. The penguin is practically a joke character to keep a strong character balanced. Its still usable but not compared to the rest of the cast. So birds in fighting games are rare but nothing new. I have a feeling that Pokken would find a way to balance such a character.

So yeah with all this evidence is obviously gonna be Honchkrow. Its not like I want all of those other characters in but there's too much here for Honchkrow to have a starring role in Pokken. This is the real Da Vinci Code right here and I solved the ultimate mystery! I can't wait to see your faces on the 15th when I prove all of ya wrong!

Disclaimer: Please don't take this post seriously. I was bored and wanted to sound smart for once. ;~; I honestly don't care who gets in because I love all these choices. I will laugh so hard if I'm right though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regular flavour Mewtwo isn't really all that surprising, and Garchomp likewise is a favourite, but Braixen sure came out of nowhere; probably not many people were expecting a mid-stage Pokemon.  I can see that it might be easier to model than Delphox, though - more distinct legs - and it has a much sturdier stick so it can probably just flat-out hit people with it.

Better yet, apparently not one of these is the "ラ (ra)" Pokemon, so we've still got another to go.

So far we have 3 fire starters, 1 grass starter and 0 water starters.

Eugh Braixen, really? Why couldn't they go for Delphox? I mean the latter does look considerably uglier but if every other Pokémon is fully evolved (bar Pikachu and pointless Lucha!Pikachu) why not this one? Ah well..we still got the "ra" Pokémon left.

Also, enough with the Fire types already! Sheesh..where's Blastoise and Swampert? >< and Greninja for that matter

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

"Ra pokemon"? What is that?

Pokémon with the Japanese letter ra in it. Looks like this

None of these Pokémon have that in their Japanese names, so there's still one more we don't know about.

13 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

Eugh Braixen, really? Why couldn't they go for Delphox? I mean the latter does look considerably uglier but if every other Pokémon is fully evolved (bar Pikachu and pointless Lucha!Pikachu) why not this one? Ah well..we still got the "ra" Pokémon left.

Also, enough with the Fire types already! Sheesh..where's Blastoise and Swampert? >< and Greninja for that matter

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

New Challengers!

Regular Mewtwo, Garchomp, and Braixen join the roster.

CoroCoro-Pokken-Tournament-1.jpg

Well, Garchomp is unexpected and awesome, so I'm cool with that! Also that means things are ramping up for console release, perhaps we're going to start seeing multiple reveals a month?!

But ya I agree, I'm getting sick of Fire Types too, if we don't at least get Blastoise that's going to suck... on the other hand they know his popularity, and it's a super iconic battle

Now for the hint 'mon, I'd say this may rule against Swampert, and helps the like of Tyranatrum(Who is also a gen 6 mon, but is evolved from an earlier gen), and Scyther(who's a middle evolution, but is just as popular as his evolution).

But ya, if you ask me this is pointing out to a significantly fleshed out roster for the console release

I want Infernape but everyone's complaining about fire types uggghgghgh

I'm sad ;-;

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah once I saw the scan I thought it was gonna be the hint Pokémon. But other 3 before that? That's awesome!

Mewtwo is a given, although I hope he at least has Mega Mewtwo Y as burst. Garchomp is awesome and very welcome, I thought he was one of the few who were very likely to enter. Braixen however is a weird inclusion but a nice one. I don't really like Delphox that much so sticking to the cuter mid-stage is nice. Though this makes the roster even more unbalanced. There's 0 water starters, Greninja would've made more sense, but oh well... considering the multiple reveals it seems we might get a bigger roster overall than we expected.

So if we get even more reveals balancing it a bit it's gonna be much better!

Nice that we got such a big reveal here. I wouldn't expect too many more "big" reveals like this, but this is definitely looking up. There might be plenty more in the final roster revealed later.

Not too shocking that "true" Mewtwo is here as well. Also, weird we don't have any water Pokemon.

7 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Nice that we got such a big reveal here. I wouldn't expect too many more "big" reveals like this, but this is definitely looking up. There might be plenty more in the final roster revealed later.

Not too shocking that "true" Mewtwo is here as well. Also, weird we don't have any water Pokemon.

I'd be pretty shocked if Blastoise didn't get in, however I think there's a chance he's being saved to tie into something related to the Pokemon Blue, or anime movie re-releases.

On the topic of no Gen V 'Mon's I'd think Genesect would be pretty hype, and a Bug type... Now I do want a serpent type though

Also, don't get angry at me you guys, but I thought that Tyrantrum was an evolution of Tyranitar XD

Also for anyone in the States, Amazon Prime's new 20% off Preorders/first two weeks of release discount does apply to this game so it drops to $48!(It also applies to TPHD, and Star Fox Zero)

45 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Oh I just noticed we do have a water Pokémon, Suicune xP I keep forgetting that he's not ice. But yeah I think Blastoise or another water starter will be there.

Why is Mewtwo all oiled up?

My guess would be since all Pokémon look like a hybrid of their usual selves with a touch of realism, such as fur in suicune, lucario and more, and muscle looking... muscles in Machamp. Since he isn't furry but rather like a gigantic embrio... they made him a bit like Machamp but more ...oily? xP I dunno.

2 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

Eugh Braixen, really? Why couldn't they go for Delphox? .

Braixen is hella popular dude, a lot of folks prefer it over Delphox design wise, it has have more personality and all that, plus the more feminine, kawaii, magical girl like stuff both in-game and in the anime, it kinda overshadows Delphox.

Now I just hope it doesn't take up the spot of Greninja, if I expect any Water Starter to get in, it's definately Greninja, Blastoise and Swampert.

Oh yeah, the updated player select.

c8jbCn2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

raixen is hella popular dude, a lot of folks prefer it over Delphox design wise, it has have more personality and all that, plus the more feminine, kawaii, magical girl like stuff both in-game and in the anime, it kinda overshadows Delphox.

Now I just hope it doesn't take up the spot of Greninja, if I expect any Water Starter to get in, it's definately Greninja, Blastoise and Swampert.

Roster is lookin good! I also hope it doesn't take Greninja's spot.

Also I made this in a minute, so it's rushed and crappy lol. But it's a chart to see gen reps and types so far, for those curious:

Spoiler

pokken%20gen%20and%20type%20chart_zpsncb

I guess you can count Dark Mewtwo as a Pokken character but whatever xP I'm impressed Gen 2 still has just one rep. And this is pure speculation, but looking at the ones so far I think a pattern could be Gen one: 6 Reps. Gen two: 3 (or 4) reps, Gen three: 3, Gen four: 3 and 1-2 for Gen 5 and 6.  Once again just pure speculation of course : P 

Man, I'm really hoping that Zoroark gets made playable eventually. I know it failed it's role as the "Gen V Lucario" but it's still a relatively popular Pokemon and it's illusion ability gives it good potential as a fighter, not solely by disguising itself but also creating illusory clones and overall messing up the opponents' senses. It would also make up for making Zoroark a fucking Pokeball Pokemon in Smash 4 (using Fury Swipes of all moves instead of it's Illusion ability and/or Night Daze no less). Although, at this point, I get the feeling that Gamefreak views Zoroark as an irredeemable failure and want to avoid using it as much as possible...

Oh well, at least I'll have Sceptile, one of my favorites of all time, to play with and I think Garchomp will be fun. I also gotta say I'm not surprised at all that Braixen was chosen over its evolution :lol: Poor Delphox got one hell of a backlash upon reveal (and I gotta agree with everyone else, we need Water Starters!)

Yeah I will be surprised if some popular mon's like Zoroark  and Hawlucha don't make the cut, I'm already mad at Pikachu Libre being here as it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Braixen is hella popular dude, a lot of folks prefer it over Delphox design wise, it has have more personality and all that, plus the more feminine, kawaii, magical girl like stuff both in-game and in the anime, it kinda overshadows Delphox.

c8jbCn2.jpg

So lets see, without them expanding it(which they can easily do, and may do), there's a total of 20 slots currently in the arcade version. with the currently revealed Pokemon(including the new 3), we currently have 16 known, however Shadow Mewtwo will NOT be added to the arcade version(he's a wii-u exclusive playable boss, and too unbalanced for arcade), that means we have 5 unknowns, 4 with the one being revealed tomorrow. However, that's for the arcade version, we could easily get another 3-6 characters on top of that for home release. Tekken Tag Team 2 had a number of home version exclusive characters. Also That would be extra incentive in Japan for the home version to be adopted. Also there are characters that would be perfect for the home version, even if unbalanced that'd be shunned in the arcade.

So for those counting, Arcade should have about 20 characters by the time the home version releases(or final, depending on roll-out choices), while the Home version has at least 21 characters on release, possibly more, I'd say 30's probably the upper limit, and that's being a bit giving

Also still think Blastoise is extremely likely, but his reveal is being kept for a proper timing

Also in regards to Generation representation, I think, specially in the first game it's more about what characters bring unique and cool playstyles and looks, and ya there's going to be quite a few Gen1-ers that fall into that category

Woah, so we got our first Gen V rep, and it's?! Chandelure of all things, which means yet another fire type

entry27.jpg

Also, video will be on the 31st, well hey, 3 out of four this month isn't bad

Chandelure? That's.... interesting.

Well, if she's/he's fun to play with, I'll be fine I guess.