Awoo.

KillaMaaki's Artwork Dump Reboot 2.0 Extroardinaire

KillaMaaki

Working on a test comic page thingy. This isn't the full thing, just about 1/3 of it that I've finished so far.

test_comic_page_wip_by_killamaaki-d8xra3

• Thumbs Up 2

New OC, trying to stick much closer to official art styles. I tend to have a big problem with body proportions in particular T-T

Here's Rev the Hedgehog. Went for Sonic Adventure style for shading. Outfit wise I took a lot of inspiration from Japanese street fashion, going for a sort of biker look.

oc__rev_by_killamaaki-d8yio1i.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I've just picked up the book "Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain". I've decided to upload many of the exercises I do from the book (even if they turn out poorly). Here's the first set I've done:

UPLOAD #1: "Self Portrait"

In this exercise, I use a mirror in front of me as reference for drawing a self portrait.

drawing_exercises___exercise_1__self_por

UPLOAD #2: "Portrait from memory"

In this exercise, I draw someone entirely from memory without references.

Eesh, this one turned out poorly (but according to the book, that's not at all uncommon)

drawing_exercises___exercise_2__person_f

UPLOAD #3: "My hand"

In this exercise, I draw my left hand.

drawing_exercises___exercise_3__my_hand_

UPLOAD #4: "Modified contour drawing (my hand again)"

In this exercise, I use a plastic picture plane with a felt marker to draw the general outlines of my left hand exactly as I see them (not as I perceive them). Then I transfer this to a drawing, and continuing to use my hand as a reference without the picture plane I draw the details and shading.

drawing_exercises___modified_contour_dra

• Thumbs Up 3

Watched a crapload of drawing tutorials by Koizu and WhytManga on Youtube, and then I felt like drawing.

So I drew this. I guess it's Shadow in human form.

human_shadow_by_killamaaki-d90tqi8.png

• Thumbs Up 1

After drawing a bunch of gesture sketches for several days to try and improve my human figure drawing, I felt the urge to draw something.

So here it is. Sort of a more realistic (but still anime-inspired) art style.

untitled_sketch_7_16_2015_by_killamaaki-

• 2 weeks later...

Did this piece as a way to try out a new shading technique. I also stepped quite far outside my comfort zone and made an outdoor scene for once, which I think turned out fairly well.

scenery___shading_test__warrior__by_kill

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a reference sheet for that last character:

vincent_character_reference_sheet_by_kil

Name: Vincent
Weapon of choice: Falchion

Personality Traits
    - Strong sense of justice, loyalty to friends, quick to act
    - Not very good at avoiding fights, often overconfident to a fault, can be hotheaded at times

Extra Notes:
    Despite his scrawny appearance, he's remarkably strong and also very agile in a fight.

Edited by KillaMaaki
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like your action poses, especially when you go a bit crazier with perspectives, because you do them really well. Also your lineart is real nice. I kept pausing and looking it over on several drawings. Kinda jelly, gotta admit. Looking forward to seeing more! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did this piece as a way to try out a new shading technique. I also stepped quite far outside my comfort zone and made an outdoor scene for once, which I think turned out fairly well.

scenery___shading_test__warrior__by_kill

I like this character's design a lot, and he has a nice pose and expression here too. His color scheme is well-done for the most part, though I do think the really brightly colored hair clashes a little bit, seeing as the rest is more muted. Is he supposed to be a particular species?

Oh, and I'm majorly impressed by the hand from earlier. It just looks great. (And I can't draw hands so yeah xD)

I like this character's design a lot, and he has a nice pose and expression here too. His color scheme is well-done for the most part, though I do think the really brightly colored hair clashes a little bit, seeing as the rest is more muted. Is he supposed to be a particular species?

Oh, and I'm majorly impressed by the hand from earlier. It just looks great. (And I can't draw hands so yeah xD)

Hm, I'll keep the color thing in mind. I'm not sure if there's anything I can saturate to make up for it, so maybe I'll have to desaturate the hair a bit. I really like bright colorful hair, although this character may have done better with brown hair or something.

As for species, I have absolutely no clue, I just sort of came up with the appearance on a whim.

Thanks, actually I just started getting better at drawing hands from scratch (rather than from reference, which that one was) last weekend or so, not really sure what happened other than it just sort of "clicked" in my head.

This is really nice stuff. You've already come a very long way since the beginning of the thread. My favorite is probably the Shadow piece, and your hand study was great.

Just something I scribbled on the bus to my friend's house, then I inked it when I got back home and scanned/colored in Photoshop.
Sorry about the sort of noisy/scratchy quality, I used entirely the wrong pen for inking and my scanner isn't at all made for high DPI scans >.>

EDIT: Meh, still not happy with the scratchy/messy quality, so I completely redid this one. Link to original here: http://killamaaki.deviantart.com/art/OC-Saika-555791476?q=gallery%3AKillaMaaki&qo=2

OC: Saika

oc__saika__redone__by_killamaaki-d972m1u

Edited by KillaMaaki

• 2 weeks later...

Reference sheet for character Cassandra:

oc__cassandra_reference_sheet_by_killama

Name: Cassandra
Weapon of choice: Flintlock

Traits:
- Friendly, calm in stressful situations, highly intelligent and prefers to think things through before acting, caring. Prefers to avoid conflict, if possible.
- Likes to take charge, and can be stubborn at times.
- Even though she has significantly above average intelligence, she doesn't see herself that way.

Extra notes:
- Cassandra and Vincent have been friends since childhood.
- Though not very strong physically, she is an excellent shot with all manner of ranged weaponry.
- Absolutely hates it when someone makes a mess of the bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was working on the first panel for a comic, decided this medieval pub came out very well and wanted to upload the drawing. I seriously want to hug whoever came up with shift-clicking for straight lines XD

On a side note, I drew this while listening to "Heart of Sword" on loop (the ending theme for season 3 of Rurouni Kenshin - dear god the nostalgia is so real)

medieval_pub_test_drawing_by_killamaaki-

• Thumbs Up 3

Cassandra looks nice, she has a pretty design :)

You did a very good job with that pub too, I can't draw buildings personally x3

• Thumbs Up 1

A big part of my drawing building process is coming up with as many reference points for things to line up as possible, and drawing a crapton of guidelines for myself since I'm absolutely no good at just eyeballing things. And even then I still find myself screwing up the perspective and crossing my fingers that nobody realizes it or cares... XD

On that note, here's the first panel pretty much done (which the pub drawing previously was part of). Don't have the sign for the pub yet, will probably work on that in Photoshop and bring it into SAI later.

panel_1_test_by_killamaaki-d994qfg.png

Behold, my weird featureless blob crowd people! ;)

Edited by KillaMaaki
  • Thumbs Up 2

Your artwork is awesome! I love how neat and clean the lines are. You're very talented!

Thank you :D

I can visibly see my art improving... stuff I drew just a month ago is embarrassing now XD But I can see it improving and that makes me happy. It's still got a ways to go but it's getting there :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the logo for the comic, which will be called Soul Chaos.

Here's a few concepts thrown together in Illustrator. I kinda like the last one except for the lack of black fill in the L (but I tried all sorts of different ways, can't seem to find any way to make it look good so I just left it empty)

Hu1d2SN.png

• 2 weeks later...

Had some character design ideas pop into my head today.... this is the result (still WIP, obviously).

I really want to use this guy in the comic, but I don't know what his role would be (yet?)

UntitledSoldier.png

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm in the midst of a total rewrite of the first chapter since I wasn't happy with it before. Good news is, I'm actually starting to really like what I've written now.

Bad news is, I jumped the gun when I started drawing, and I should have waited because now I have to throw a couple of completely finished pages in the trash bin T^T

Lesson learned I guess.

Anyway, working on the design of a sort of demonic-looking character used in the first couple of panels for some exposition/backstory.

Demon.png

Meh, I haven't done much fanart in a while, I keep feeling like I should do more of that...

Anyway, working on a page of the new improved script :D

Page_WIP.png

Just about done with the pencils of this page. I think my drawing skills have actually improved since the previous scrapped attempt (before the current iteration of the script).

Page_WIP.png

EDIT: Just noticed how short his right arm looks. I think it was supposed to be foreshortened? Just doesn't look quite right. Thank goodness this is digital - quick fix with the lasso and move tools ;)

Edited by KillaMaaki