Awoo.

Here's what Sonic's abilities actually should be.

ashes2thestars

Running, jumping, and rolling. That's all. Here's why the others are either unneeded, pointless, or too powerful.

He doesn't need the homing attack, light speed dash, spin dash, bounce attack, stomp, double jump, or even the special attack from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Sonic 1 is still available to play :v

Sonic doesn't need anything, but adding these abilities and moves allows him to move in 3D space easier and more efficiently, and/or help evolve his gameplay while keeping the core gameplay intact. 

So... How doesn't he need them? I dunno about the other ones you said to take off, but I feel like not having the homing attack would make it... Well, Sonic games are, for the most part, in 3D, so losing the homing attack, I feel like that would make it unnecessarily hard to kill normal enemies, because without it, Sonic missing attacks would happen a lot more often, forcing you to go slower. Either that, or I guess you'd sacrifice his speed, but that would take away the... Sonic. Like, I get earning your speed, so to speak, but in 3D he would be too hard to control.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure, but I think this is Poe's Law in action.

This is fascinating.

• Thumbs Up 7

Can you offer further explanation and context on why we should care about necessity for necessity's sake when it comes to video games or is this the extent of the topic?

If you think everything is overpowered and unnecessary, go play Sonic 1, problem solved.

As for me, I like a more versatile Sonic. As others have mentioned his extra abilities make him much less of a pain to control in 3D. The homing attack is there to allow you to kill enemies without much hassle. I do think it should be tweaked a bit to keep the pace of the game going but it definitely should not be removed. I don't think its necessary in a 2d game (Sonic 4 showed us that) but I think it could work with some adjustments.

Why do you think the Spindash should be removed? Its Sonic's most iconic move, and in the classics and Adventure titles it lets you take advantage of the momentum aspect more. Could you please elaborate?

Also, the stomp is great in the boost games.

• Thumbs Up 3

This guy used to be a member of the SEGA Forums. I believe it was him that said at one point that the Spin Dash makes no sense. 

Considering I've seen the Spin Dash done in a cartoon recently (about 2 or 3 times in different episodes of the same non-Sonic related cartoon), I think there is some logic behind how it's done.

If Sonic stylings were dictated by the absolute most bare necessities, there would literally be nothing to him save a rolling jump. He can technically live without his other abilities, but he's fucking boring without them, and each of them has legitimate applications that work hand in hand with the level design just like jumping and rolling do. It would be asinine to suddenly shut off all gameplay expansion like that just on a whim.

I mean, the spindash? Seriously? You're crusading against the fucking spindash? Something that's been an iconic staple since the second game in the series? What the hell are you on?

• Thumbs Up 1

Running, jumping, and rolling. That's all. Here's why the others are either unneeded, pointless, or too powerful.

He doesn't need the homing attack, light speed dash, spin dash, bounce attack, stomp, double jump, or even the special attack from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Someone fails to understand that the most important thing about a video game is to have fun. That's why he has the homing attack, light speed dash, spin dash, and all the other abilities.

But hey, like others have said, you're more than welcome to stick with Sonic 1 while everyone else enjoys these abilities in the other game. That way, everyone is happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

How is rolling "necessary" but moves like the Spindash, homing attack, and bounce aren't by comparison? They're all used in different situations. It's like saying Mario doesn't need a wall jump because of the long jump.

Edited by Celestia

Well this sure does make a good argument look dumb. :v

I feel like Sonic's basics should be running, jumping and rolling. But to act like it needs no extensions is... well, silly.

Homing attacks obviously aid 3D jump aiming, Spin Dash obviously allows you to gain some form of quick speed + a controllable roll, boost mode (from Advance 2) could make for a good reward for holding speed/flow for a long period of time, and light-dashing and bouncing are fun additions that although aren't attached to those main control ideas, they still work for what the character has to offer and doesn't interfere with any of the mechanics in a negative way.

It's like saying "you know Mario's run and jump abilities in SMB1? That's all we need".

• Thumbs Up 6

Well this sure does make a good argument look dumb. :v

I feel like Sonic's basics should be running, jumping and rolling. But to act like it needs no extensions is... well, silly.

Homing attacks obviously aid 3D jump aiming, Spin Dash obviously allows you to gain some form of quick speed + a controllable roll, boost mode (from Advance 2) could make for a good reward for holding speed/flow for a long period of time, and light-dashing and bouncing are fun additions that although aren't attached to those main control ideas, they still work for what the character has to offer and doesn't interfere with any of the mechanics in a negative way.

It's like saying "you know Mario's run and jump abilities in SMB1? That's all we need".

In short, Sonic has really overstayed his welcome.

In short, Sonic has really overstayed his welcome.

How, exactly, has he "overstayed his welcome"? Just because he has a more versatile moveset available at his disposal than just the ability to run, jump and roll down hills?

• Thumbs Up 1

How, exactly, has he "overstayed his welcome"? Just because he has a more versatile moveset available at his disposal than just the ability to run, jump and roll down hills?

Sonic doesn't really belong in video games. Without fleshing him out with stupid abilities that you could easily give to different characters for unique gameplay elements, he's not really FOR gaming. Note: I'm NOT saying that his games are terrible. I'm saying that he doesn't belong in the world of gaming.

Sonic doesn't really belong in video games. Without fleshing him out with stupid abilities that you could easily give to different characters for unique gameplay elements, he's not really FOR gaming. Note: I'm NOT saying that his games are terrible. I'm saying that he doesn't belong in the world of gaming.

Are you arguing that some characters can be, in games can be given more abilities, but Sonic can't for some reason & therefore shouldn't be in games? Could you try to explain this please?

Edited by Oscillo-Kaworu

tumblr_lvps7vMoy61qdna0x.jpg

Sonic doesn't belong in video games? Where does he belong then? On wallpaper?

tumblr_lvps7vMoy61qdna0x.jpg

Sonic doesn't belong in video games? Where does he belong then? On wallpaper?

No, in stories. Archie comics. Sonic Boom. Sonic X. Fan fiction.

... I'm sorry, but I don't follow this. You're saying that because he has unique abilities to call his own (like Tails with his flight and Knuckles with gliding and climbing), he shouldn't be a video game character? This doesn't make a lot of sense, to say the least.

What about Sonic makes him not suitable for more abilities in comparison to other characters though? Also, why does this mean he shouldn't be in games?

Lol. -ahem-

Uh, if he doesn't exist in games, why would SEGA continue to drop all the extra expanded universe content?

Alright. We should take Sonic out of the media he was known for! All right!

Like I'll ever see SEGA do that. Sonic got to where he was for being a video game, a video game that was different from the super popular Mario games. His colorful style, gameplay, and simply cool personality (That the genesis games did a good job of portraying) is what defined him as a character, as a franchise. Taking that away would simply make no sense.

So... Sonic shouldn't belong in video games because of his abilities? Uh... what makes you say that exactly? I ask that because that really doesn't make sense to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Terrible point of view, He a video game character. have you forgot Sonic games did sell well in the 90s? Sonic did a huge impact with the games.

Edit: With comic, show and merchandise. its just for the fans favors, not success of the character.

I can understand that you can found other medias more attracting than the games. After all, they're the ones who flesh out Sonic's Universe the most, they're maybe the ones who develop the best stories, and who are giving more and more what the fans want (just like the Megaman comic book). And they sure are more awesome on that point than the games.

However, while maybe a working complete return to the sources would be very cool, it's not possible at the moment. To make a game that puts away all the mechanics that made the 3D games fluid and playable, and restart from scratch, plus trying to build a gameplay form that's very hard to adapt in 3D, would take too much time, and it's not worth the effort. If SEGA can't do it at the moment, why don't you try making your own fangame that would flesh it out? You could learn a lot, and who knows, maybe sharing your vision of a 3D Sonic game would be very interesting for the community.

But you shifted to another subject...I don't see what's the common point between gameplay mechanics and the place of Sonic in the world, but it's also impossible. SEGA can't make enough money with comics and TV Shows to keep the series running, sadly. Plus, it would be very sad to loose one of the best and most innovative video game series of all time, don'tcha think?

I can understand that you can found other medias more attracting than the games. After all, they're the ones who flesh out Sonic's Universe the most, they're maybe the ones who develop the best stories, and who are giving more and more what the fans want (just like the Megaman comic book). And they sure are more awesome on that point than the games.

However, while maybe a working complete return to the sources would be very cool, it's not possible at the moment. To make a game that puts away all the mechanics that made the 3D games fluid and playable, and restart from scratch, plus trying to build a gameplay form that's very hard to adapt in 3D, would take too much time, and it's not worth the effort. If SEGA can't do it at the moment, why don't you try making your own fangame that would flesh it out? You could learn a lot, and who knows, maybe sharing your vision of a 3D Sonic game would be very interesting for the community.

But you shifted to another subject...I don't see what's the common point between gameplay mechanics and the place of Sonic in the world, but it's also impossible. SEGA can't make enough money with comics and TV Shows to keep the series running, sadly. Plus, it would be very sad to loose one of the best and most innovative video game series of all time, don'tcha think?

Okay, just so you know, I've analyzed the material so well that I've came up with what could be the greatest Sonic game in the franchise. I have nearly EVERY detail plotted out.

If you check my latest thread, you can find a discussion about it.