Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee (Playtonic's spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie / ONE, PS4, PC)

Junko

Likely. I mean, WiiU was the version they were BASING the game on, right? So I don't believe for a second it's the issue. Would it really be so bad to say outright that it'd be more financially feasible to wait until Nintendo's next system? Surely it'd be better than lying about it, wouldn't it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Feels like it's been in the works to be a Switch launch title for a while, and they've just decided to really start move that way now

Some claim that Unity was poorly optimized to run on the Wii U anyways.

I wonder about the lying claims; sure, it is financially more feasible, but aside from that, I thought the PC or Linux version was the primary game. As for lying about getting the game unable to run on the Wii U? If what I hear about Unity being poorly optimized is true, then it might have been a struggle, and given the timeframe it would have been out anyways, they might have decided it just wasn't worth it.

Of course, I know diddly squat about the Unity engine, so you are more than free to correct me. At any rate, it's still coming on the PS4 and Xbox One, so I hope the game is good regardless. Besides, cancelling a version is probably better than Mighty No. 9's situation, but only time will tell.

It is easier to say that they lied but also there is some truth since there are other cancelled/delayed examples on the console. Not just the Unity engine either. Project CARS got cancelled on the Wii U since it couldn't cope with that similar situation too since that had some crowdfunding, just about able to cope on the PS4 and look how long Watch Dogs took to get released, nearly a year after the original intended release date (6 months after other consoles release). So yeah, moving it to the Switch would have worked out better than a game where it would have struggled to run.

Also from what I've read Unity on the PS4 is really hit and miss; some games such as Broforce, Galak-Z and Firewatch (later patched for the latter) have really bad frame rates and other issues while there are some games that run fine. I don't know if Team 17 who are handling the ports used the engine before so it could really end up like Banjo-Tooie, the original N64 version with its slowdowns. It might be better on the PS4 Pro but don't know if any Unity games ran better on that.

At least the PC version or the game itself should be fine hopefully...

• 5 weeks later...

So we got a new trailer focusing on the game's multiplayer modes

• 5 weeks later...

I am a backer of this project, and I choose the Steam platform for delivery. Since I lost interest in the game, I am thinking about selling it, is anyone around here interested? PM me

Yooka-Laylee soundtrack available April 7.

Vinyl + CD + digital- $42
Vinyl + digital- $35
CD + digital- $12
Digital only- $10

Also, 8-minute soundtrack sampler!

TRACKLIST:

TRACK-LISTING:
Spoiler

Main Theme
Shipwreck Creek
Hivory Towers
World 1 Theme
World 2 Theme
World 3 Theme
World 4 Theme
World 5 Theme
Uphill Battle
Frosty Fray
Armed and Dangerous
Track Attack
Skiffy Skirmish
Final Beeting
Kartos Karting
Bee Bop
Hurdle Hijinx
Up 'N' Nova
Jobstacle Course
Glaciators
Blag the Flag
Gun-tlet Run
Minecart Theme (World 1)
Minecart Theme (World 2)
Minecart Theme (World 3)
Minecart Theme (World 4)
Minecart Theme (World 5)
Tropic Trials
World 1 Varient #1
World 1 Varient #2
World 2 Varient #1
World 2 Varient #2
World 3 Varient #1
World 3 Varient #2
World 4 Varient #1
World 4 Varient #2
World 5 Varient #1
World 5 Varient #2

6 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Yooka-Laylee soundtrack available April 7.

Vinyl + CD + digital- $42
Vinyl + digital- $35
CD + digital- $12
Digital only- $10

Also, 8-minute soundtrack sampler!

TRACKLIST:

Reveal hidden contents

TRACK-LISTING:
  Reveal hidden contents

Main Theme
Shipwreck Creek
Hivory Towers
World 1 Theme
World 2 Theme
World 3 Theme
World 4 Theme
World 5 Theme
Uphill Battle
Frosty Fray
Armed and Dangerous
Track Attack
Skiffy Skirmish
Final Beeting
Kartos Karting
Bee Bop
Hurdle Hijinx
Up 'N' Nova
Jobstacle Course
Glaciators
Blag the Flag
Gun-tlet Run
Minecart Theme (World 1)
Minecart Theme (World 2)
Minecart Theme (World 3)
Minecart Theme (World 4)
Minecart Theme (World 5)
Tropic Trials
World 1 Varient #1
World 1 Varient #2
World 2 Varient #1
World 2 Varient #2
World 3 Varient #1
World 3 Varient #2
World 4 Varient #1
World 4 Varient #2
World 5 Varient #1
World 5 Varient #2

I am so excited to play this game on my Switch... we just need that release date confirmation. One of the things that makes me think we're getting a Q2 Indies/Third party direct in the next week or so

• 2 weeks later...

Not impressed with the soundtrack so far, it's very...Flat compared to Banjo Kazooie or Donkey Kong Country, also having doubts about the game as a whole. It looks very big and empty, and pretty bland too if I'm honest.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

How one internet celebrity's racist rant is completely destroying an indie game and its developers that had promise.

It baffles me how so many people give weight to what some shmo who talks about video games on the internet says.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't wait to get it, cept still waiting for that Switch release date :(

I honestly view the whole JonTron thig as a lose-lose situation; if they had kept him on board, people would have complained because he was still in the game.

But they kicked him out, and people are complaining that he no longer is in the game. I could have taken him or left him, myself, but honestly, in regards to Jontron, they didn't forsee the controversy, and the end result was a situation where they would have been screwed no matter what.

That said, they could be handling the aftermath a little bit better, in my opinion. Banning discussion of a particular aspect can never end too well.

• Thumbs Up 3

that's just it. Many got it and backed cause of him. He is literally one of the original rares biggest fans. Regardless of people's stance here there are those on both sides not happy regardless.  it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situations

1 hour ago, Conando said:

I don't think they do. They're just using it as leverage to shit post.

And they aren't obliged to refund a kickstarter game that's giving backers what it promised. 

It's not really a damned if you or don't scenario,  especially so long as the game makes great reception along with sales 

Not to mention,  the people also now garnering support and actually pre-ordering the game because of Playtonic's response to Jontron's BS.

You have equal amounts of those now refusing to buy it on top of those that say they will buy it. Sales will show at the end of the day. I'm sure the game will do fine for a indie.  I don't expect horizon level  of success but a foothold maybe for a sequel. Reminds me of the outlast 2 drama

When it comes to actually getting game if it's good and supporting Playtonic vs blowing hot air over an internet celebrity getting his just desserts, I've got enough faith in humanity to stake that the game won't really even suffer notably from the Jontron controversy

• Thumbs Up 3

Let me stop this whole "people backed it because of JonTron" thing right now. The game was funded and the campaign was already over when PlayTonic offered him a voice role.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ignoring the Jontron controversy for a bit I've seen some folks say that this game has been a slap to the face to Nintendo fans. Since the game was catered to folks who grew up with the N64 era  and the they cancelled the Wii U version and the Switch version won't come out on a later date. Do you guys agree with this or do you think that people are being a bit too over dramatic?

Y-L has no obligation to Nintendo specifically. Especially not with Playtonic's history with them...

I don't think it's a slap in the face, but I am still angry the only version I can buy was cancelled.