Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee (Playtonic's spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie / ONE, PS4, PC)

Junko

GOD

IT'S SO CUTE

ARE YOU GUYS OKAY WITH THIS?! STUFF SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO LOOK THIS GREAT

Ahem, I'm super excited for this. I hope it gets to the Wii U at some point! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm the designs look a little plain, and I hope the levels aren't all just floating in space. We'll see how this will end u- oh my god is that a sign with googly eyes and a mouth?!

6fHQQsV.png

DAY 1

• Thumbs Up 8

Awwww yea I'm totally convinced already just by the art style and animations! X3 I really want to support this, but I hope it doesn't go into the Mighty No. 9 direction with their Kickstarter.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ooooh yes, I am liking this. It's definitely got some of that old BK feel to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup. I'm loving the little sample of music there! Sounds quite similar to N&B which IMO is great, because the music in that game was phenomenal.

I hope the characters still speak funny gibberish too. That would make my day!

I hope the characters still speak funny gibberish too. That would make my day!

Yeah, they've confirmed gibberish voices already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Will David Wise's and Grant Kirkhope's music mesh well enough together? I like them both but they do have very different music styles.

"Hey, so I just finished this ambient piece, lots of atmospheric noise to make the player feel like they're really in the jungle. How about you, Grant?

"TWELVE HOUR XYLOPHONE SOLO."

"Hm, yes. And how about that boss music you were working on?"

"EVERY BRASS INSTRUMENT IN THE WORLD."

• Thumbs Up 8

I hate Laylee's big ass nose but other than that it looks great. Love the visual style for the environment. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Will David Wise's and Grant Kirkhope's music mesh well enough together? I like them both but they do have very different music styles.

"Hey, so I just finished this ambient piece, lots of atmospheric noise to make the player feel like they're really in the jungle. How about you, Grant?

"TWELVE HOUR XYLOPHONE SOLO."

"Hm, yes. And how about that boss music you were working on?"

"EVERY BRASS INSTRUMENT IN THE WORLD."

The last time David Wise and Grant Kirkhope collaborated on a track (with that ginger bastard Beanland in tow as well), this was the result.

• Thumbs Up 1

quite like this

liking their designs more than banjo's, at least

groaning at the googly eyes signpost but I realise I'm not the target audience :V

• Thumbs Up 2

We get so few 3D platformers I'd be willing to give this a chance, tho I've never been too fond of collectathons.

I hate Laylee's big ass nose but other than that it looks great. Love the visual style for the environment. 

Yeah, the nose looks out of place. On the bright side, the main characters look pleasantly less googly eyed than expected coming from (ex)Rare.

I love collectathons. But, saying that, I've never played Tooie and loathed DK64. I'm really looking forward to what comes of this. I might just decide to back it.

Never played any of the Banjo-Kazooie games before (for shame, I know) and I can't bring myself to try out Donkey Kong 64 at the moment for fear of repetitiveness and being overwhelmed with things to collect, but Yooka-Laylee is looking pretty dang interesting! There's definitely a big empty space in the market where all these 3D platformers used to be and this seems like it will fill it very nicely indeed, and if it ends up hitting Wii U I'll definitely consider giving it a shot. If the Kickstarter pledge bonus thingies are up to snuff I might even decide to back it, we shall see! But for now, having this amount of polished gameplay ready to show off and lots of potential before they even set the crowdfunding going... well, if that isn't a promising sign, I don't know what is!

Never played any of the Banjo-Kazooie games before (for shame, I know) and I can't bring myself to try out Donkey Kong 64 at the moment for fear of repetitiveness and being overwhelmed with things to collect, but Yooka-Laylee is looking pretty dang interesting! There's definitely a big empty space in the market where all these 3D platformers used to be and this seems like it will fill it very nicely indeed, and if it ends up hitting Wii U I'll definitely consider giving it a shot. If the Kickstarter pledge bonus thingies are up to snuff I might even decide to back it, we shall see! But for now, having this amount of polished gameplay ready to show off and lots of potential before they even set the crowdfunding going... well, if that isn't a promising sign, I don't know what is!

Dk64 isn't actually that bad, its overexagerrated due to being form the saturation period, its actually really fun as long as well as you take your time, and don't try to go for everything

• Thumbs Up 7

Aw, maaan. I'm not even a Banjo-Kazooie fan (and I understand why people like it, but it's just not my type of game) and I love what I am seeing. This looks amazing! Can't wait to see it finished~! :D

DK64 is a weird game in that even though I recognize how insanely flawed it is, I kind of forget about all of that when I actually replay it. I quite love the game and many of it's interesting designs and there's a general degree of restraint imbued in most of the levels that give you a good idea of what to do and how to do it. Most of the time, you know what to prioritize and there's no punishment in trying to focus on one particular element. The game generally starts off strong, then dips pretty hard during the second level, only to recover by the third, then drop again by the fourth, finally to follow a slow treck uphill for the remaining levels. Some of the stuff in the game is incredibly well done and clever. That and, even though there was a lot of bullshit with having to beat the game (Nintendo Coin)... well as dumb of a personal admission as this might be, I distinctly remember that this was the game that probably turned me into a hardened gamer. I saw games so much more differently after I beat DK64, which took well over a year of my childhood.

I can't say the same about Banjo-Tooie though which makes me convinced that my love for DK64 isn't just nostalgia because I experienced both games during my youth. I can't replay Banjo-Tooie at all. DK64 has no restraint with it's quantity of collectibles but at least there is restraint within the design of them, plus the fact that there's general intrinsic value with obtaining most of the game's content. Banjo-Tooie has no restraint what-so-ever and has way larger levels than any of the DK64 levels, which are compounded by them being interconnected, having to backtrack across several hubs worth of levels to get Jiggies, having to reach around your elbow to get to your asshole to even explore some levels and so forth. There's not a single moment in DK64 that is as bad as Jolly Roger's Lagoon or Grunty Industries. Banjo-Tooie was a step down design-wise in every single way from BK.

I do hope those 30 years of experience designing games has paid off and that they've realized some of their worst tendencies though. The showcase of movement in the IGN footage makes me hope that they're embedding a lot more platforming elements into the game and focus on movement options to collect things. That was one of the things Super Mario 64 generally had over Banjo-Kazooie even though I feel the latter kind of outdid Super Mario 64 in most areas.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dk64 isn't actually that bad, its overexagerrated due to being form the saturation period, its actually really fun as long as well as you take your time, and don't try to go for everything

• Thumbs Up 1

There's not a single moment in DK64 that is as bad as Jolly Roger's Lagoon or Grunty Industries.

Eh, I'd still take Grunty Industries over basically any DK level past the toy factory. Although it's close on some of them. And I don't think JRL is all that bad anyway.

BK is the actual Best Game out of the three anyway. I'd be happier with a game that had a BK-ish scale/pacing to the levels, but more of them, than trying to match (or worse, exceed) the huge, complicated levels of BT and DK64.

Honestly I loved DK64. There's some problems with it, its not perfect, but I still enjoyed it. I replayed the game on VC and completed it 101% in three days, I was enjoying it that much.

Either way I'm definitely looking forward to this.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I didn't like about DK64 was how difficult the final boss was. Oh, and those minigames. A lot of them were stupid.

I really realllllly can't wait for this game. This, A Hat in Time and Lobodestroyo all look awesome, and very similar to BK and DK64. It's exciting just to think about it!

• Thumbs Up 2

It's funny because I think the most I've seen talked about this game so far is speculation that Jontron is doing some voice work for it lmao.

It looks really awesome and can't wait to see how it is once it's polished a bit. I'll be honest and say that I think the characters look a little on the bland side, but I'm hoping with the full picture of voice and music and everything, that they'll come completely to life for me.

Honestly I think I'm most excited for Playtonic existing in general now.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's funny because I think the most I've seen talked about this game so far is speculation that Jontron is doing some voice work for it lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUaLTLiFLc

leaked footage of jontron's voice work for yooka laylee

• Thumbs Up 7