Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee (Playtonic's spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie / ONE, PS4, PC)

Junko

Looks awesome. I can't wait for this. Yooka has a Jiggy in his cup at the end, by the way.

Delayed to 2017, though

YYnaNSw.gif

Also, fun fact Playtonic itself is only handling the PC and Wii-u versions, Team17 is handling the other ports... does make me curious is Nintendo might approach them asking them to make a NX launch version as well. Although Indie games do awesome on wii-u

Also great Boy Meets world gif

Here's a 10-minute Playstation Access video discussing more about the game's features. Love the fact that Yooka is basically Kirby. xD

• Thumbs Up 2

Neat! Glad this game is coming along nicely as the first and only game I backed.

Don't mind the delay as the trailer is simply stunning!

8 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Also, fun fact Playtonic itself is only handling the PC and Wii-u versions, Team17 is handling the other ports... does make me curious is Nintendo might approach them asking them to make a NX launch version as well. Although Indie games do awesome on wii-u

I wouldn't say they do awesome, I've heard some don't do that well. But they probably do better than you'd think for the small install base because there's less games by comparison. Playtonic primarily focusing on the Wii U verson makes sense, though, because most of their fanbase are Nintendo fans, which is what they themselves even have said. Part of the problem, naturally, is that even though MS bought out Rare, they never did anything with most of Rare's IP's (at least until Rare Replay brought a ton back).

36 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I wouldn't say they do awesome, I've heard some don't do that well. But they probably do better than you'd think for the small install base because there's less games by comparison. Playtonic primarily focusing on the Wii U verson makes sense, though, because most of their fanbase are Nintendo fans, which is what they themselves even have said. Part of the problem, naturally, is that even though MS bought out Rare, they never did anything with most of Rare's IP's (at least until Rare Replay brought a ton back).

Solid high profile ones tend to do extremely well, Shovel Knight for example, sold better than on other platforms, and isn't the only one

10 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Here's a 10-minute Playstation Access video discussing more about the game's features. Love the fact that Yooka is basically Kirby. xD

I love you so much Nepenthe.

I want this so badly...

On 6/6/2016 at 7:34 AM, Dejimon11 said:

New trailer is out 

This game looks amazing my hyped for it just increased.

AW YEAH BABEY!! My desire to get this game has just increased even more than it had before!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about a Looka-Laylee with an interview with Grant Kirkhope and Steve Mayles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

*Bump*

So nothing major but Playtonic is going to Gamescom and they posted this image on their official Twitter page...

Cpqus_QXgAAU9pG.jpg

seem familiar?...

324e0a10b150aafcb19e3131e9185.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

New Gamescom Trailer

Check out the latest trailer for Yooka-Laylee from Gamescom 2016, featuring new gameplay, new transformations (Yooka Truck!), new characters, and more on Capital B!

• Thumbs Up 6

I sense a bit of Epic Mickey in the design and music.  Big thumbs up from me.  I mean, I know we got burned by Mighty No.9, but this must be leagues ahead of it.  Certainly is on the graphics front as needless to say as it is.  There's still plenty of room to worry that this could disappoint, but I'm really encouraged at how all the signs so far point opposite of that.

One thing that's got me kinda worried about Yooka Laylee are the enemies. Most of the ones I've seen so far are just like little groups of goblin-sorta creatures that you just wack without much issue until they die. It seems more annoying to fight them and more like they're just little pests, like "Ugh more of these little guys again, I guess I better take care of them now". I really hope I'm wrong on that and there'll be more variations with enemies.

I will say that the worlds look gorgeous, and by that I don't mean technically graphically. Not to say it looks bad, it looks really good, especially for a game from an indie studio, but I mean that the worlds seem like whole fleshed out environments with a whole of of stuff in them. Like there's mountains, ruins, and dense forested areas in the jungle world that you can see around you and you can just go to those things as far as I know. It really encourages this sense exploration, wonder, and the feeling of the unknown which I really like.

Overall I'm super excited for this game and I'm sure it'll be great~ ^^

• 1 month later...

Yooka-Laylee for Wii U's been cancelled due to "unforeseen technical issues", aka the Wii U sold like poop so we won't put the game here.

Nintendo fans - including those who backed the game on Kickstarter specifically for a Wii U copy - must now move their pledge to another platform or wait for news of the Nintendo Switch version - something which Playtonic has said it will announce details of in "early 2017".

In an FAQ posted to Playtonic's official site, the developer apologised and said it had explored "every possible avenue" and that the studio had worked "tirelessly over many months in attempt to solve" the problem.

Backers who simply want a refund will be able to contact Playtonic to do so, via kickstarter@playtonicgames.com

"We're sad to announce that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we have encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release Yooka-Laylee on Wii U as initially planned," Playtonic studio director Gavin Price confirmed in a statement to Eurogamer.

"We can however confirm today that we are working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We're thrilled to be able to explore the opportunity and more details will be shared in early 2017.

"Of course, any backers who pledged for the Wii U version will be able to move their pledge to any of the versions launching on April 11th or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017. Thanks again for your incredible support."   

I was just about to post this. That fucking blows. Now I most likely won't be able to play this for a long while. God damn it.

Was prolly to be expected, the Wii U one was always bound to have lower graphical fidelity than the others anyway.  Just hope they have the time they need to make sure the Switch version doesn't have any issues for being a potentially late port job since like many I'd really like to play this on a Nintendo console for the authentic feel.

• Thumbs Up 2

It sucks for Wii U owners, I suppose, but I was gonna play this on PC and maybe get the inevitable Switch version as well, anyway.

"Technical issues", huh? Yeah, sure. No way it could have anything to do with the WiiU being all but dead by the time the game comes out. Heck, it's pretty much dead now.

Oh well. Guess I'll pick it up for Switch, then.

Eh, I don't really mind this news. I can see why this would suck for some people, but otherwise I can get it for my Xbone or (more likely) the Switch. I mean they're letting us pick an alternative, so it's not like they're leaving us backers who picked the Wii U version in the dust.

The Wii U version got cancelled? Dang, that stinks. Was planning on getting Yooka-Laylee on it, but it looks like I'll have to get it either on the PS4 or the PC instead. Funny how they didn't say what the technical issues were. Sounds like an excuse to not release the game on the Wii U, since it's pretty much dead. (And I'm 100% sure that is the actual reason, lol.)

At least, there's the Switch version. 

I'm sure theirs no problems with the actual Wii-U build and are instead just shifting focus towards the Switch, probably some deal with Nintendo or something.