Awoo.

Windows 10 (PCs, Windows Phone, Tablets, Xbox One / OUT NOW)

Junko

Are you running Windows 7 and used various registry hacks to disable the "Get Windows 10" tool? Well, guess what: Microsoft is overriding your decision and pushed an update that undoes those registry hacks.

'Get Windows 10' Turns Itself On and Nags Win 7 and 8.1 Users Twice a Day

Bastards. when someone gets the update ID let me know so I can uninstall this fucker thing.

I'll fucking upgrade when they stop doing shady shit like this.

Seriously, I'd rather have my computer more to myself. I cannot stand the fact that Microsoft is adding all sorts of sketchy crap that really makes Windows 10 as a whole unpleasant if you aren't aware of what's on it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah, speaking as someone who actually likes Windows 10 here, this move on Microsoft's part is just really skeevy-looking. It'll only serve to make them and the OS look bad among the non-tech savvy and we really don't need any of that right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Geez, Micro$oft is looking more and more like your typical collection of hackers everyday. There is no way I'm updating to win 10 at this point, it's not just this kind of crap M$ is pulling, its how also Win10 is designed to be one giant privacy violation machine that you have zero options of escaping from.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is it really at this point upgrading to Windows 10 if you already own a 8.1? The only real concern I have is Microsoft going out of it's way to retrieve data, information and basically put stuff on your computer that I really don't want

Is it really at this point upgrading to Windows 10 if you already own a 8.1? The only real concern I have is Microsoft going out of it's way to retrieve data, information and basically put stuff on your computer that I really don't want

Just as a tip from a Youtuber named Barnacules who worked at Microsoft for a long ass time at Microsoft before getting laid off, the telemetry shit can actually be blocked.

Meet Spybot Ant-Beacon.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Tell me again why I should install this POS OS when they keep pulling crap like this? now even closing the "X" means install for Win10!!

Windows 10's Upgrading Tricks Have Gotten More Insidious (Kotaku)

Also bonus, Win10 installs right in the middle of a twitch stream:

When Windows 10 Updates Install In The Middle Of A Counter-Strike Livestream (Kotaku)

I hate hearing about all this privacy violation and removal of user choice. That just stinks and is bad practice, pure and simple. I see no reason why a company should treat customers this way.

That said, there's a lot I like about Windows 10's user interface. The Start Screen is gone and the Start Menu is back - a massive plus for me. I really like the customizable start menu, too. Very fun and convenient.

But I just have to complain about something. The change they made to the Taskbar in Windows 7 and which still remains in Windows 10 does NOT make me happy. I prefer the Windows 95 - XP style of taskbar so much it's not even funny.

In the previous iteration, each time you opened a program would be displayed separately on the taskbar unless you had a lot of windows of the same program open at once and no room to display them all. In addition, instead of just having the icon, it would display the entire name of the program. Very convenient for multiple open Word documents, multiple open Windows Explorers, and anything of the sort. All you need is to glance down at the taskbar and click once to get what you want.

As of Windows 7, though, multiple windows of a program are always "stacked together", so if you have multiple Word documents, Windows Explorers, etc. open, you always have to click twice. They even insist on showing you the pictures and taking a split second for the "fading-in" visual effect. I know this sounds ridiculously picky, but I hate this. I find it annoying and needlessly inconvenient. When I want to switch back and forth between two windows repeatedly, those extra clicks add up to extra annoyance fast. I also find the fact that they show you the pictures with the names on top to be more annoying than helpful; too often the pictures don't actually tell me which window it is because oftentimes Word documents and folders full of files don't look that different from each other, and I always have to glance up and look at the pretty small text on top. It's so bad that, whenever I have to switch between two windows quickly, I often make sure I only have one window of each kind of program open just so I don't have to deal with this. These may sound like infinitesimally tiny issues, but I guess for me, they add up. And what bothers me so much is that they already developed something better than this, and I don't know why they scrapped it. So it just feels like I'm being inconvenienced for no reason.

Do I sound insanely whiny yet? Probably. Is it weird that I'm talking about this so long after Windows 10 came out? Probably...but I guess I only recently started getting so fed up with this aspect of the UI, lol.

On 5/28/2016 at 3:08 AM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Do I sound insanely whiny yet? Probably. Is it weird that I'm talking about this so long after Windows 10 came out? Probably...but I guess I only recently started getting so fed up with this aspect of the UI, lol.

Oh boy! as someone that works in IT I can tell you how to fix this.

Step 1: Right click the taskbar, and click properties

Step 2: Go to this screen : TpGEnJv.png

The Taskbar buttons setting has a couple options, there's combine when taskbar is full which is iirc windows xp style and what you're after. You can also choose never combine, or pick use small toolbar buttons to have more vintage windows sized icons

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/30/2016 at 9:46 PM, Remy said:

Oh boy! as someone that works in IT I can tell you how to fix this.

Step 1: Right click the taskbar, and click properties

Step 2: Go to this screen : TpGEnJv.png

The Taskbar buttons setting has a couple options, there's combine when taskbar is full which is iirc windows xp style and what you're after. You can also choose never combine, or pick use small toolbar buttons to have more vintage windows sized icons

I finally got around to doing this and I want to shout for joy. Yes, this is exactly what I wanted! Thank you!

So I've been using Windows 10 for about a month now.

I can see why the decided to wall DX12 behind it because this OS is a shit non-upgrade. Task Manager is a lot less convinient than 7, I constantly have to disable settings with every upgrade, the OS randomly glitches out and stops displaying icons

Windows 10 is garbage, and if I didn't like DX12 so much I'd switch back to 7 in a heartbeat

• Thumbs Up 1

Been using it for about 2 weeks now. Honestly? There isn't anything wrong with it. But there's also nothing blowing me away either. It just feels like Windows 8.1 minus the obvious touch screen interface.

However, I have noticed a very minor performance drop in terms of response time when opening stuff, even calculator takes a slightly longer time to fully boot up. 

Although, when I first installed it, the start up and shut down times were near instant, but two weeks on this has increased by a bit, not sure what's going on there.

Basically, it just feels like I'm running Windows 8.1 with classic shell running.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Been using it for about 2 weeks now. Honestly? There isn't anything wrong with it. But there's also nothing blowing me away either. It just feels like Windows 8.1 minus the obvious touch screen interface.

However, I have noticed a very minor performance drop in terms of response time when opening stuff, even calculator takes a slightly longer time to fully boot up. 

Although, when I first installed it, the start up and shut down times were near instant, but two weeks on this has increased by a bit, not sure what's going on there.

Basically, it just feels like I'm running Windows 8.1 with classic shell running.

Would you recommend upgrading to Windows 10, or is the upgrade not that remarkable enough?

If you want the latest version of DirectX and be able to play games such as Forza on windows then maybe. Otherwise just hold off until a sale on the OS.

1 minute ago, 风之Klonoa said:

Would you recommend upgrading to Windows 10, or is the upgrade not that remarkable enough?

Well... it's hard to say.

If you are running a very old machine and you are reaistically looking into getting a new one in the near future or withing the next 1-2 years, which is working fine with Windows 8.1, I'd probably say stay with it since I honestly couldn't tell you how well Windows 10 would run on it.

Otherwise, it's probably a good idea to upgrade anyway, just for the simple fact that I would say that Microsoft will probably drop support for Windows 8 sooner rather than later given how unpopular it was, and software developers are eventually going to be making stuff with Windows 10 in mind anyway, so it just seemed like it would be putting off the inevitable if I didn't upgrade.

I think you can downgrade to Windows 7 from 10, but you might want to look into that before doing it.

I got an older Alienware laptop I just got from my grandpa(he got it through a deal or something. It's pre-dell merge old ) I'm going to see if it'll upgrade, just plan to use it as a movie and old game device, and figured it may be worth trying and using as a backup laptop

Hmmm, I don't know considering giving into Window's 10, worried about the spyware and some compatibility issues with my programs(play a lot of old stuff and use some older programs like my 3D modeling ones), that and while I can still play almost all modern games on solid settings, it is getting a bit old(I mean it's an I7 quad core laptop). Any thoughts?

this is for my main computer, not my backup

Like I said in the status's, I wouldn't go for it. My laptop came preloaded with Windows 10, and Dell is actively supporting it, and it runs well, but I wouldn't do the same for a laptop that likely doesn't have proper drivers for Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

It's an Alienware M15X, so I'm not worried about support

It's 6 years old :/

• 2 weeks later...

Considering how Windows 10 seemingly "approved itself" recently, automatically deplying itself on a large number of computers, I think it is great how their new GWX/upgrade assistant will be much more clear on the matter. The subtle way computers have been upgraded has ruined the software and setup of many businesses. It is insane.

What makes me wonder is this:

When outreach to Microsoft’s customer support didn’t fix the issue, Goldstein took the software giant to court, seeking compensation for lost wages and the cost of a new computer.

Having someone reinstall the original system on the computer is going to cost much less than a new computer, assuming it was not the cheapest of the cheapest, which would be a bad idea for a work computer anyway. Most modern computers even have a hotkey to access the in-built recovery partition, allowing a reset to factory default. I do not see how in court one could claim a new computer when repairing the broken one would be a much cheaper option.