Awoo.

Kojima leaving Konami after MGSV due to internal fallout / Reduction in KojiPro Senior Staff (Rebranding)

Carbo

Oh, so close.  I very nearly called it.

What's next - they start taking down YouTube videos of P.T.?

Somewhere at Konami head office is a very angry man who doesn't understand how the Internet works.

• Thumbs Up 4

Somewhere at Konami head office is a very angry man who doesn't understand how the Internet works.

I'm still convinced that will be the next step. They went full dickyshly so far, i'm not expecting them to hold back on going even more deeper in the shithole.

you actually give me a good laugh follow with a smile. are they more aged then Nintendo when it come to online you think?

Superhop much not be pleased seen his video get off..

I merged the topic about the YouTube takedown with the overall Kojima leaving thread because I felt that it was a better fit there.  Also, moved to the Computer Games forum, as that is its proper place.

I'm looking at 2 possible outcomes.

Worst case scenario: if this stupid move succeeds and more companies follow suit to try to be more like Konami. SEGA and Nintendo look like they may be swayed but if this Konami switch succeeds this will convince them then once those 2 move over to mobiles its all downhill at that point.

Best case scenario: this stupid plan all falls apart they jettison the gaming division and just focus on their other non-gaming efforts. (Which makes me think this is their real plan all along.)

I honestly don't blame Konami for taking the plunge into mobile gaming, it's a very viable market. Even Nintendo's finally bitten the bullet through that partnership with DeNA to make smartphone games.

That said, the strangely callous attitude Konami has been holding towards their fans, IPs, and developers over the years makes me question if they will be able to find maintain success in that market, and what will happen to them should they fail. Shifting their policies of their gaming divisions to an exclusive focus on the mobile market is a very risky gamble that, if they don't (initially) succeed, won't give them anything to rely on for backup in their gaming sector (I say this as their pachinko division is very successful).

And even then, such a situation wouldn't be so bad if the company didn't seem to be interested in burning their bridges with their current stakeholders (saying this using the dictionary definition that anyone who holds concern or interest in an organization--in this case, Konami as a company, Konami as a business, and Konami's IPs/products-- effectively counts as a stakeholder in the company). It's downright suicidal from both a relationship and business perspective, as that kind of attitude will not only drive said existing stakeholders away, but will give Konami trouble when they try and reach out to potential new stakeholders.

• Thumbs Up 2

The sad thing is... Konami is probably right with the 'the future is mobile' comment.

The sad thing is... Konami is probably right with the 'the future is mobile' comment.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, he's not wrong. With budgets becoming so high for AAA games the Mobile Market is a lot more financially viable.

Ugh. So I'm guessing after MGSV's release, no more console games from Konami? Looks like we're going to suffer the onslaught of lame mobile games with beloved Konami characters. .-.

Ugh. So I'm guessing after MGSV's release, no more console games from Konami? Looks like we're going to suffer the onslaught of lame mobile games with beloved Konami characters. .-.

I thought everyone was "F YOU KONAMI" and wasn't ever buying anything from them ever again, after The Phantom Pain. I'm surprised anyone actually gives a crap whether they're going mobile or not.

"Mobile is the future of gaming". Not much of a future then.

You know, the only time companies ever say this anyway, regardless of whatever merit it might have, is when they're on the verge of death and/or about to fall into obscurity. So it's really telling about the state of Konami right now that they'd suggest something like this.

That being said:

Yeah, he's not wrong. With budgets becoming so high for AAA games the Mobile Market is a lot more financially viable.

This has nothing to do with the platform. It's plenty possible to make a good game on a modest budget whatever it's made for - the problem is that star-struck execs, more often than not ones who literally do not understand a single component of making or playing videogames, insist on pumping ludicrous amounts of money into projects as though it's somehow supposed to directly translate into profit and end up getting bitten in the ass by it no matter how much they sell.

Which is kind of ironic considering these days most gaming execs come from business and marketing backgrounds - you'd think they of all people would know better than to chase fads and overspend like crazy.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, the only time companies ever say this anyway, regardless of whatever merit it might have, is when they're on the verge of death and/or about to fall into obscurity. So it's really telling about the state of Konami right now that they'd suggest something like this.

That being said:

This has nothing to do with the platform. It's plenty possible to make a good game on a modest budget whatever it's made for - the problem is that star-struck execs, more often than not ones who literally do not understand a single component of making or playing videogames, insist on pumping ludicrous amounts of money into projects as though it's somehow supposed to directly translate into profit and end up getting bitten in the ass by it no matter how much they sell.

Which is kind of ironic considering these days most gaming execs come from business and marketing backgrounds - you'd think they of all people would know better than to chase fads and overspend like crazy.

Thing is Konami's mobile games the last couple of years have done way better then their console games. Same with Square Enix. From their point of view Mobile is where the big money's at.

Thing is Konami's mobile games the last couple of years have done way better then their console games. Same with Square Enix. From their point of view Mobile is where the big money's at.

Again, that's really got nothing to do with the platform - all they really did was make the games cheap enough to make that they could turn back a profit. You could do that pretty much anywhere and it would still work. The big mistake on Konami's (well, everyone's) part is assuming every console game literally needs blockbuster budgets in order to be successful, and that simply does not work unless you know basically for a fact that ten million people are going to buy it. The only franchise they have with that kind of prominence is Metal Gear, and even that is looking iffy now that Kojima's gone and seemingly everyone plans to boycott on principle after this.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Thumbs Up 1

Do we know anymore about the moron CEO who took over? like what he did before Konami?

Super Bunnyhop gotten a Copyright strike from Konami, about the video he made not long ago about Kojima vs Konami.  Gaf has a thread about it too.

Mirror about the video

and Jim has a tweet about it too https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/597769975517081600

What i do think about it overall its a lot of exaggeration from Konami, i believe they just dont like getting criticized from the bad moves they do recently.

Is any of your thought SSMB members?

You know, I really wanted to play Metal Gear Rising 2 whenever it would come out.

Ignoring the fact it'd probably be on mobile though... yeah no. I refuse to give money to a company that's actively suppressing free speech.

You want to take down music, gameplay footage, etc.? Whatever, that's not that unreasonable.

But the moment people start theorizing about your brand and company, you address the criticisms. You don't wave around a piece of paper and go "SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING." All that makes you look like is a control freak.

Seriously, picture if SEGA started issuing copyright takedowns of every video criticizing the Sonic brand, or the way the company is run. What would that make their image look like?

Free speech is pretty awesome. Slander, incitement and libel aside, fuck off if you think you have the right to take it away.

Seriously, picture if SEGA started issuing copyright takedowns of every video criticizing the Sonic brand, or the way the company is run. What would that make their image look like?

They did this sorta thing a couple of years ago for videos containing Shining Force footage or just people talking about them, and only because they wanted to make space for marketing their new Shining game.

Do we know anymore about the moron CEO who took over? like what he did before Konami?

He was behind one of the biggest mobile successes from Konami. DRAGON COLLECTION (very creative)

He speaks the market reality in Japan.

But that would be like, the entire internet.

• Thumbs Up 5