Awoo.

The Big Thread of Game Remasters.

Ryannumber1gamer

Well, since 2015 is apparently the big year of PS4/X1 Remasters, I thought it'd be time to make a thread for remasters in general. Discussing remasters, and that sort of thing.

So far, there is a bunch of remasters heading to both PS4 and Xbox One. Including:

-Batman Arkham Collection

-Borderlands The Handsome Collection

-Final Fantasy X/X2 

-God of War III Remastered

-Gravity Rush Remastered

and a lot more. 

So go ahead and discuss remasters in this thread.

I'm still waiting for an HD/Remastered version of Rogue Galaxy, but alas.

I hope though there will be one for Final Fantasy XII: that game really needs the HD treatment.

Game remasters are fine and all, but they have to have a lot of extra features to make me want to re-buy my favourite game. Last of Us Remastered is a good remaster because it has a lot of bonus features and includes all the DLC that was released for it. Other remasters just seem so lazy in comparison and the fact they're sometimes sold at full price is ridiculous IMO.

There's nothing wrong with them if they are side projects, as it does mean that more people can play them or revisit them. However, if they are in the place of a big game then it's a problem. 

I was totally fine with Grand Theft Auto V and The Last Of Us as they came out very shortly before the PS4 and Xbox One, and were held back by last gen hardware. I'll say that GTA V on PS4 is absolutely astounding, not just with the addition of the first person mode but with the improvments across the board. 

On the opposite side however, we have Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 4, which are basically just poorly optimised ports of the PC versions. 

I don't mind remasters if they aren't made just a year after the original game. WWHD for example, came out quite a long time after the original, and despite not having tons of new features, was still a solid remaster.

I'm still waiting for the Fur Fighters HD remaster to come out in 2047 haha ;-;

I would really like a full on Jak & Daxter Saga remaster with all games included. Either that or a full on Precursor Legacy remake. Just imagine how amazing worlds like Snowy Mountain, and Sandover Village could look if it used the full power of PS4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, since 2015 is apparently the big year of PS4/X1 Remasters, I thought it'd be time to make a thread for remasters in general. Discussing remasters, and that sort of thing.

So far, there is a bunch of remasters heading to both PS4 and Xbox One. Including:

-Batman Arkham Collection

-Borderlands The Handsome Collection

-Final Fantasy X/X2 

-God of War III Remastered

-Gravity Rush Remastered

and a lot more. 

So go ahead and discuss remasters in this thread.

Don't forget the famous recent DMC/DmC remasters. And Tomb Raider. XD

GUYS GUYS. Imagine Sonic's 25th Anniversary game is...

Sonic Generations: Definitive Edition

I wonder what the reaction would be here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Updated versions of critically acclaimed games with all the extra content packed in? Sweet. I see no point in complaining about them. Everyone knows they don't take the place of real, original titles, but do give you a chance to go back and play the best of the bunch from the last generation.

I've got my eye on DmC: Definitive Edition right now, hope to pick that up soon. It's pretty cheap and looks crazy fun. I also wanna grab TLOU: Remastered and GTA V, but they're still a bit too expensive for me, lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't forget the famous recent DMC/DmC remasters. And Tomb Raider. XD

GUYS GUYS. Imagine Sonic's 25th Anniversary game is...

Sonic Generations: Definitive Edition

I wonder what the reaction would be here.

If they make brand new levels for it and add in a few more features, I wouldn't mind Generations: Definitive Edition.

^I second this man's opinion.

DMC4 is probably the only remaster I care about atm.

Updated versions of critically acclaimed games with all the extra content packed in? Sweet. I see no point in complaining about them. Everyone knows they don't take the place of real, original titles, but do give you a chance to go back and play the best of the bunch from the last generation.

I've got my eye on DmC: Definitive Edition right now, hope to pick that up soon. It's pretty cheap and looks crazy fun. I also wanna grab TLOU: Remastered and GTA V, but they're still a bit too expensive for me, lol.

Agreed, it's no different to a "Game of the Year" edition and people seem to be fine with that so why not remasters?

I'm curious if Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 will get PS4 remasters before KH3 comes out. There seems to be a decent demand as many swapped out their PS3 for a PS4 and want to play those games before 3. I have to wonder if it would be a wise decision to do at this point however. 

I'm curious if Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 will get PS4 remasters before KH3 comes out. There seems to be a decent demand as many swapped out their PS3 for a PS4 and want to play those games before 3. I have to wonder if it would be a wise decision to do at this point however. 

I'm actually kind of confused why it never got on Xbox 360. Not that I am a fan of SE's poor Xbox ports, but if you are going to put this large game that's supposed to be closure to this super epic saga (that consists of around 7 games) on a console line that never had any of the games before, then... well.... alright?

I'm actually kind of confused why it never got on Xbox 360. Not that I am a fan of SE's poor Xbox ports, but if you are going to put this large game that's supposed to be closure to this super epic saga (that consists of around 7 games) on a console line that never had any of the games before, then... well.... alright?

I'm just guessing here, but I'd say most likely cause the original plan was for KH3 to be a Sony game only, and as such 1.5 being already almost done and 2.5 probably starting development, were being built with Sony in mind only. It was probably a last second decision for III to go one Xbox One(due to the Xbone needing anything positive to ride on), and as such Square didn't want to shell out the money to make a port of those two games which could or couldn't potentially make money on that system. If they made a PS4 version however, I'm sure Xbox One would also get it as well though.

Yeahhh KH3 coming out on Xbone makes no sense. I doubt anyone who owns that console even cares about KH3. =I

I would really like a full on Jak & Daxter Saga remaster with all games included. Either that or a full on Precursor Legacy remake. Just imagine how amazing worlds like Snowy Mountain, and Sandover Village could look if it used the full power of PS4.

Now THAT'S a remaster I can get behind, especially considering how old the original is! A Jak & Daxter remake would look like a Pixar movie with dem PS4 graphics, ahhh <3

I'd like to see a Sonic Adventure remaster, but then I'd sound like one of those Sonic fans.

Yeahhh KH3 coming out on Xbone makes no sense. I doubt anyone who owns that console even cares about KH3. =I

Not really, it's just that whatever deal Sony had for the main games, BBS and Re:Chain of Memories is over. It's also a port and is probably taking minimal effort whilst maximising profits by releasing on multiple consoles.

Oh. And. Saying no one that owns the console cares seems super close-minded.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well then. That's funny considering the remasters for KH were completely Sony exclusive. If they wanted to introduce the series to Xbox fans, that would have been the perfect time.

Consider it from this point of view. Say you haven't played or seen any KH footage and you keep hearing about how the story is some kind of massive saga and KH3 will be a plot heavy game that shows the conclusion of over 10 years worth of games. Would you want to jump into KH3 when you haven't played any of the other games because they weren't released on Xbox? There is almost no point to releasing it on Xbox when most Xbox players have likely not played the other games and may see it as only a melodramatic kids game, rather than the really good interesting and fun game it really is.

You guys want to hear an example of a great remastering?

MegaManPoweredUp_PCBOX-Erared_2006boxart

Mega Man Powered Up. This game is fucking awesome and it's a perfect example of how to remake a game. Being a remake of the first Mega Man, this game adds new level design, new bosses, a new difficulty system with an option of easy, medium and hard. 11 playable characters with alternate skins for some of them. Free downloadable content, remixed music, and an option to play the game with the new level design and the original!

Best thing is, the game has a pretty in depth level editor, and you can post your custom levels online, so there's endless content to play! 

Worst thing is, the game's only on the PSP. I have no idea why, but it's only on the PSP, meaning sales for the game weren't that high. Meaning there will never be a sequel remake of Mega Man 2.

But still this game is awesome and should be an example of how to make a good remastering.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't have anything against remasters, although it is amusing how much we've been seeing them lately. It feels like studios have been cranking them out, sometimes with little regard for quality.

But still this game is awesome and should be an example of how to make a good remastering.

Not to get into semantics, but it isn't a good example of a remaster because it isn't a remaster. Mega Man Powered Up is a straight up remake made from scratch.

The terms 'remake' and 'remaster' both imply completely different things. MMPU is a great game but it shouldn't be the standard for whenever a company wants to make an old game new again.

• Thumbs Up 2