Awoo.

The Big Thread of Game Remasters.

Ryannumber1gamer

I don't have anything against remasters, although it is amusing how much we've been seeing them lately. It feels like studios have been cranking them out, sometimes with little regard for quality.

Do we really need the 7th generation titles getting a remastered?  the 5th and 6th could deserved.

Backwards compatibility - specifically the lack thereof - plays a pretty big part in this. Because there are games that aren't even years old yet that you can't just plop straight into the disc tray, the only other solution is essentially to build the game up again for the separate hardware and sell it as a separate release. It's not always strictly speaking for the sake of improving the original game so much as providing a means for the audiences of newer consoles to play them.

Though I'd be lying if I said in the case of some developers, that simply being out of fucking ideas didn't factor into it. Or that some of them aren't simply fishing for appreciation of old franchises (Starfox 3D, Darkstalkers Resurrection) so that they might have some excuse to start making new games for them again.

• Thumbs Up 1

MGS-collection.jpg

This one was pretty ballin'

all of them Hideo Kojima games

I got this too and haven't even had a chance to play it yet! There's so many MGS games on there I don't even know where to start. XD;; It's a bloody great collection though and even comes with an art book.

I got this too and haven't even had a chance to play it yet! There's so many MGS games on there I don't even know where to start. XD;; It's a bloody great collection though and even comes with an art book.

MGS1 is the perfect starting point tbh.

• Thumbs Up 2

The reason why Definitive and remasters burn me is because more than likely I've already played through the original release of the game and can't justify spending the money on the same game when I've just played it last year, the fact I had paid for the DLC when it was still "new" and they more often throw it in for free with remasters is like thinking, what's the point? Get new game now? Or wait for the inevitable remaster/definitive edition 6 months down the line?

This is honestly making me think if I should wait on Arkham Knight for the "GOTY" edition or whatever, you know it's going to happen :/ 

• Thumbs Up 2

It depends on what the DLC for Arkham Knight is and if you give a shit about it or not.

So far the only DLC for the game I've seen is the Pre-order stuff.

Yeah but GOTY Edition of City included all the costumes, NightWing and Catwoman DLC AND Harley's Revenge, which were PAID Add-On packs after City released, people paid for that content which was thrown into the GOTY edition at retail price for the stand alone game at launch.

It's cool if you haven't played these games before, but if you're invested in them from the start of their release phase and jump on their DLC train then you're going to feel the burn when all of it is given away for free in a "Definitive" version a few month down the line.

If a remaster comes out of a game that's five years old or less, chances are I'm not gonna give a shit.

I also enjoy the loaded terminology that's used to apply to these games. "Definitive version" implies that the first version you bought really isn't all that. Gotta buy the TRUE version of the game to get the full experience

It's sleazy basic psychology, and it works because schmucks with money to burn keep buying into it

How much do you want to bet near the end of the year or early 2016, Evolve will get a GOTY/Definitive edition including all the DLC for that game?

Funny thing the last Remastered i bought was Zone of the Enders HD collection. yet reason because i do enjoyed ZoE and it was the most 40$ worth of the money because i played the heck of it.

The joke turn to be an real problem. yet 8th has so much Remastered IP from 7th gen then fresh IP from 8th. crazy talk. Maybe am just not really happy how it really turn out to be at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Bad news. BRB of Sonic Boom: RoL fame is helping out with God of War III Remastered.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/devjnielsen

Not sure if that's really bad news. It's a simple remaster, and unless BRB really tries to screw the whole thing, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming after what happened from Sonic Boom that BRB is trying to slowly build up and get a sizable team to continue staying in the industry.

I'm not sure if I should still be confident in BRB in anything, but I am. They first consisted of members from devs like Naughty Dog after all. If they have any chance to slowly prove they are capable in the industry, remasters would be a presumably easy project to work on. After all, that's what got 343 Industries somewhat on the map.

I was just kidding. Yeah, I'm sure Sony will make sure it's a quality remaster.

• 1 month later...

Uhm... ok? I mean, on it's own, it's not necessarely a bad thing, especially since the game is from 2009 and it could really need an improvement with a lot of its textures, but i would have seen more fitting a collection of 1 and 2 altogether instead of just the first one.

Hopefully though, that means the franchise is not completely dead.

Did Prototype 2 sell very well? I think the sales is what led Activision to close the studio.

It's a shame because Radical had potential (their Crash games are great, despite what people say about them), too bad it had to be the source of constant layoffs.

I don't know the details, but from what i remembered, originally the studio wanted to keep Alex Mercer as the protagonist and not have the story + terrible ending the game got, but Activision stepped in and forced them to change last minute with the idea that what they had in mind would have made the title better. And of course, blamed them after the game failed to deliver, in true EA-esque fashion.

Reguardless, it's a franchise that can still be easily revived; i mean, Resident Evil used even cheaper excuses to have other sequels after the Raccoon City saga.

Odd how they would bring back a seemingly-dead franchise after 3 1/2 years. Unless Activision had second thoughts and decided to branch out their portfolio.

What's more odd is that Radical has been demoted to a minuscule developer supporting bigger titles for other studios (Destiny). So if a third game is in development, it's unlikely Radical's up to it since Activision has the mindset that they can't be trusted to make another game.

Can we have Gravity Rush Remastered and Ratchet Future yet?