Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

So yea...new game....woot. I dunno guys, I can't get hype when I have no faith Sonic Team have learned anything and won't just continue down the same boring path as the last thre games.

I'm not hype until I have a reason to be, really. 

I just want to know what to expect at this point. Going on two to four years without any idea on what direction the series wants to go anymore just kinda makes the ride so weary to put up with.

I'm expecting an Olympic game sequel this year if I'm perfectly honest. In case anyone didn't know, its been two years since the last one and they haven't missed a year yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Rush Adventure selling like ass might have something to do with that.

Sonic '06 being the ass definitely had something to do with that, unfortunately.

Sonic '06 being the ass definitely had something to do with that, unfortunately.

Well I was talking about Dimps, but ok lol.

I'm expecting an Olympic game sequel this year if I'm perfectly honest. In case anyone didn't know, its been two years since the last one and they haven't missed a year yet.

I dunno, Mario and Sonic '14 sales were ass from what I remember (though being a Wii U exclusive early in its life will do that). Reviews were mediocre too, much moreso than past titles.

So we probably will get a game this year?

More than likely.

I dunno, Mario and Sonic '14 sales were ass from what I remember (though being on the Wii U early in its life will do that).

Thats really it honestly, game still gets them more than any main Sonic game would get them.

well.. whatever it could be .. i just hope i has great music as always ...:D

if its a main game.. at least i hope it has a singed theme...  *u* but then again.. i'm hoping too much :D haha

You know what'd be cool? Spring 2015 announcement, Spring 2016 release.

Not gonna happen, but I'd like that. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Rush Adventure selling like ass might have something to do with that.

Unfortunately, probably true; Sonic Rush Adventure sold terribly, particularly in Japan.  So terribly that I think there must've been something weird going on there.  Sure, the boats were a bad idea, but can they have put people off that much?

But I believe that credits analysis have suggested that a lot of the Rush team no longer work on Dimps Sonic games, so even setting them to do their own thing again wouldn't necessarily result in a decent game.

The fanbase got....a bit impatient in 2012 when there wasn't a main series installment, so I can only imagine the reactions and atmosphere that would result from something like that.

The fanbase got....a bit impatient in 2012 when there wasn't a main series installment, so I can only imagine the reactions and atmosphere that would result from something like that.

Episode II was in 2012 :V

God this fanbase is spoiled rotten when it comes to releases. Go a few years and you go rabid.

• Thumbs Up 2

So much ass.

So yea...new game....woot. I dunno guys, I can't get hype when I have no faith Sonic Team have learned anything and won't just continue down the same boring path as the last thre games.

Yup, that's me right now. I can't get excited for a new Sonic game when the previous games have been the same solo Sonic boost2win or parkour with a shitty story and random Wisps thrown in. =[ I'll be seriously shocked if this new game manages to blow me away and make me feel hyped for Sonic again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Granted, I didn't buy it because it was a flashier Episode I with a Tails Wisp button, but was Sonic 4: Episode II really that forgettable?

The answer is yes.

Why would they announce the game a year in advance? Wouldn't it be more reasonable just to wait and announce it at E3?

Ehhh, it's not that I forgot about it, I just don't consider Sonic 4 "main series", even though SEGA would probably categorize it as such. Well, before they gave up on it, anyway.

As for Mario & Sonic, with the terrible sales and critical reception that the Sochi game got I'll be surprised if we get confirmation that the Rio game is in development for this year. If they do, I hope they make some MAJOR improvements and actually release it on 3DS as well. Seriously, what were they thinking not releasing it on handheld like the previous Olympics games?

While I know in prior years Sonic has gone a year without a console release (instead going with a handheld), it seems like for all its weaknesses the Sonic brand has greatly expanded since then.

I don't think Runners is supposed to be the only game, just a supplement.

On the other hand, if there isn't a console release this year, by God, 2016's game would have no excuse to be anything but marvelous.

If that's the case, why wasn't Lost World "marvelous" then HueHueHueHue.

Yea, I'm gonna be taking the piss out of this series for a while.

As I've said before, Rio 2016 and count yourselves lucky.

I want to be surprised, especially since... Wait. Wasn't Lost World announced in a Nintendo Direct with Sochi 2014? Which means Rio 2016 could be announced via Direct, leaving Sega to announce the main game at roughly the same time? I don't know, I forgot about the announcement details. Either way, it could happen, and that might be the most likely result.

And so if two games do get announced, I'll get interested, especially since I was one of those who bought Sochi 2014 and found it enjoyable [moreso than Lost World].

If that's the case, why wasn't Lost World "marvelous" then HueHueHueHue.

Yea, I'm gonna be taking the piss out of this series for a while.

Sonic Lost World wasn't in development as long as this one. I think this has been the longest dev time on a Sonic game yet, four years. If the game isn't coming out till next year than hell yea it better be amaaaazing!

Well I was talking about Dimps, but ok lol.

The general public doesn't know or care which team made which game. A bad game is going to lead to bad sales, no matter who makes what. It's the same reason why Boom's reception will lead to worse sales this year, even if we get something Generations-tier.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget that Runners was made by the Olympics team.

We're probably not getting one.

• Thumbs Up 1

After four Olympics games, would it really hurt to take a break for one cycle? :P

I mean I can understand milking it but short of introducing a plot there really isn't much that could be added for variety, is there?

Especially since the last game was criticized particularly for being too similar to prior games.

It's a good idea the All Stars Racing spinoff took a break (even if for different reasons), so should this one.