Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

After four Olympics games, would it really hurt to take a break for one cycle? :P

Olympic games... sure, but a different type of Mario & Sonic entry would be cool, aaand we know they're not doing that though. I suppose their time was better wasted on Runners.

As for the next game, I would like it to be this year, no way there's gonna be another title that has "ANNIVERSARY" written all over it, the last game developed by Sonic Team A was Generations, if they made it again next year it would be very repetitive. I want something fresh.

So SEGA, stop using the anniversary as an excuse to focus only on Sonic and not have the others playable. Though I'm aware that any other game (that wasn't Generations) since Secret Rings didn't have an excuse for that.

Whether the next main Sonic game is made by Sonic Team A or Sonic Team B, I really just can't find too much of a reason to care since I enjoyed the main games released from them from Unleashed to Lost World. I just want another fun Sonic game to enjoy. 

Though, this time around I'm actually hoping we'll get playable characters again. If Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyrics and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal did anything right that I really enjoyed, it was having other playable characters in. I'm really not sure how long SEGA and Sonic Team can hold fans attention for so long if we just continue the same solo Sonic. It's 2015, this franchise has been here for more than 20 years, Sonic has been in 3D for more than 5 years, and it's about time that someone understands a way to have other characters playable without sacrificing the overall fun factor of the games. Just look back at how Sonic Adventure did things back in 1998/1999!  

I can't really see us getting another Mario & Sonic game this year, and it's mostly because of the reviews and sales (I hear that the Sochi 2014 didn't do well?) Would it really hurt them (the developers/publishers) to just give the Mario & Sonic series a break for awhile? 

Don't forget that Runners was made by the Olympics team.

We're probably not getting one.

Or maybe they have turned to mobile since the last one was kind of a flop, and It wouldn't be the first time a Sonic Olympic's game would be released on mobile.  

The director of Sonic Generations was also director of the last Mario and Sonic. So I don't think the specific people on the game, are much indication.

I still don't understand how 560,000 copies for a cash-in title makes it a flop. Let's not forget how much these games recycle from previous titles. The budget probably isn't that high. Let's not forget the 3DS in this equation. 1.15m copies for a shitty title with a shitty budget seems like a success to me. With the increase in Wii U sales post Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros and the increased 3DS sales from its original nightmare, is it really crazy to think that they might make a sequel? SEGA could easily score more than 2 million copies combined.

Sonic Runners is a mobile game. I don't care if x person and y person helped make it, it's not even close to the production values of something like Sonic Lost World and Sonic Generations. Sonic Runners being made doesn't disqualify an Olympic game being made.

Edit: Let's analyze how much is recycled

Music: Little to no new music, mostly additions of new remixes.

Graphics: HD models made in cooperation with Nintendo, Sonic models probably already done

Gameplay: Super simple minigames, recycled ideas from previous titles, more like an "expansion pack" than new game

I still don't understand how 560,000 copies for a cash-in title makes it a flop. Let's not forget how much these games recycle from previous titles. The budget probably isn't that high.Let's not forget the 3DS in this equation. 1.15m copies for a shitty title with a shitty budget seems like a success to me. With the increase in Wii U sales post Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros and the increased 3DS sales from its original nightmare, is it really crazy to think that they might make a sequel? SEGA could easily score more than 2 million copies combined.

Sonic Runners is a mobile game. I don't care if x person and y person helped make it, it's not even close to the production values of something like Sonic Lost World and Sonic Generations. Sonic Runners being made doesn't disqualify an Olympic game being made.

Yeah, I doubt a mobile game would require much of the Olympic team's time. Besides, Marvelous AQL did the heavy lifting seemingly in Sochi.

If the Direct is this week as many predict and signs point towards, maybe Rio could be unveiled in it, who knows.

Ugh.

16286171704_287e83c1ca.jpg

Ew.

Planet_Wisp_1-1_4.jpg

Get it away.

Sonic-Generations-3DS-Radical-Highway-Sc

Please no more!

16907361402_229bb5aa25_o.jpg

I can't wait for the inevitable Dimps version!

Unleashed Wii/PS2 and Colours DS were actually really good. Colours DS had a similar playstyle to the Rush games while Unleashed PS2/Wii still had some really fun day time levels.

If over 1 million copies is "selling like ass", I'd love to sell like ass.

I read that as "smell like ass"

i need to go to bed

• Thumbs Up 1

I read that as "smell like ass"

i need to go to bed

Someone's been playing too much Bloodborne :P

Well, considering the original Rush sold over 3 million, I can see why SRA's sales would be considered a disappointment.

Sonic Rush had way better marketing and it was launched closer to the launch of the Nintendo DS. When I was a kid, I remember seeing Sonic Rush Adventure in stores and I'm like... "they made another one?"

Sure, disappointing but ass? No way.

Also, just thinbk what the climate was like around the release of Mario and Sonic Sochi 2014. Controversies of the real Olympics put something of a damper on excitement for the game, if I remember. And I don't remember that much being said about it nearer release. I think it had one Direct and was playable at E3 and that was about it? And of course it had reviews, but I don't think those were publicised much either.

Also, if more characters do get added, I hope Espio and Charmy get upgraded to more than just linesmen.

Unleashed Wii/PS2 and Colours DS were actually really good. Colours DS had a similar playstyle to the Rush games while Unleashed PS2/Wii still had some really fun day time levels.

Colours DS was a watered down Rush 3 that looked absolutely awful, Unleashed Wii is like going round an empty NASCAR track on a segway. 

But one way or another, my post was just poking fun at the inevitable. There'll be a Dimps version, and literally everyone will hate it. The end.

259.png

• Thumbs Up 9

Colours DS was a watered down Rush 3 with absolutely terrible graphics, Unleashed Wii is like going round an empty NASCAR track on a segway.

DS graphics never look good on a computer screen. In fact, if you pull up graphics of Sonic Rush/Adventure they look just as bad. Sonic Colors DS graphically looks better hands down. With years of experience of knowing the hardware, the polygon count and effects have dramatically improved. Have you seen the Sonic Rush character model? It's a blocky mess!

Unleashed Wii is like going round an empty NASCAR track on a segway.

lol, please stop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colours DS was not a bad game. It was probably the last good Sonic game Dimps made. 

Unwiished is garbage though.

Believe it or not, I prefer Generations 3DS over Colors DS. I wasn't a fan of how forced the Wisps were in Colors DS. And yeah, Unleashed PS2/Wii was pretty meh.

Edited by Segtendo88

Colours DS was not a bad game. It was probably the last good Sonic game Dimps made. 

Unwiished is garbage though.

Honestly Colours DS isn't all that bad. It's just butt ugly, and a lesser version of the Rush games that preceded it. And Autosaver, when I say it looks bad I'm not referring to the models, rather the 2D art. You can take each of the Advance games, Rush games and Colours DS, and watch the art get worse from one game to the next.

But still. Dimps.

Sonic Colors DS is Sonic Rush without the music, visuals, and trick system that made Rush what it was.

In other words Sonic Colors DS is Sonic Rush if Sonic Rush sucked ass and had no soul.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah I've thought about actually picking Colors DS back up again, seeing as how I still enjoy the first two Rush games for all their faults, but I can't imagine getting much more out of it now. Especially since I can't stand the existence of a Sonic Rush game without Blaze.

I really do wish we'd get a third game but since SRA has been the last major handheld Sonic title I don't think it's in Sega's agenda anymore to provide handheld users with unique experiences