Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

Well, considering the original Rush sold over 3 million, I can see why SRA's sales would be considered a disappointment.

the Bayonetta game and 2nd game sold shit and yet these games are very descend, sold less dont mean the title will be shit, its just underrated as this point.

WHERE'S MY SONIC RUSH 3D?!

I believe SEGA thing Sonic Rush was just a shit idea, in fact it was well geniously amazing titles. for so much, i could get hype for a real comeback of Sonic Rush style.

Edited a lot. sorry : P

Edited by Daisy-Fan

Sonic Colors DS is Sonic Rush without the music, visuals, and trick system that made Rush what it was.

In other words Sonic Colors DS is Sonic Rush if Sonic Rush sucked ass and had no soul.

Like what the fuck is going on in this thread. I guess part of the reason is that everyone is trying to act funny, but these posts are beyond ridiculous. Sonic Colors is praised for having one of the best soundtracks the series has ever had. Sonic Colors DS just used midi versions of it due to hardware constraints and used some remixes from Sonic Rush.

Sonic Rush level design blows. Have you guys actually played the game lately? As someone who tried to replay the levels, it's beyond frustrating. The amount of areas that you had to slow down to beat the enemies to proceed and the amount of bottomless pits drags the game down. A lot of these issues were remedied with later releases but the game has aged badly in that department.

Also what makes this

Sonic_Rush_E3_5.jpg

better than this

soniccolors300-610.jpg

Let alone the fact that you're boosting the entire game so you're passing by most of it. Also on a technical level, the framerate and polygon count is increased dramatically with Sonic Colors DS. Sprites are also less pixel-y and blurry. I've actually done comparisons between the two just to see how much graphics improved with the DS over time and I was impressed. The blocky low res Sonic model actually improved to something that looked visually nice. Sprites such as rings are cleaned up. Also the HUD looks like poop in Sonic Rush.

I've put hundreds of hours into the Dimps DS titles. Personally, I'd put it

Sonic Rush Adventure > Sonic Colors DS > Sonic Rush.

As much as I find the music in Sonic Rush amazing, it doesn't excuse the poor level design choices that drag the game down. While there is an absence in Sonic Colors DS, it's not called Sonic Rush. The point of the game is to utilize the wisps, which is does well. May I remind you that Sonic Rush employs Sonic's old voice actor and has Tails/Cream screaming at the top of their lungs?

ALLL RIGHT YESAHH ALL RIGHT YES YES ALL RIGHT WOOOO ALL RIGHT YES ALL RIGHT YES YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WOOOOOOOOOO YEAH WOOO ALL RIGHT YEA ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT YERAHHAH YEAHHHHH YEAHHHH

YESSSSSS

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Tails

YOU DID IT SANIC

YOU DID IT SANIC

YOU DID IT SANIC

ALL RIGHT SONIC!!

God damn, I remember when everyone used to rant against Sonic Rush and smash it to the ground. I get it, not everyone likes Dimps. But to classify Sonic Colors DS as poop and soulless makes absolutely no sense. The game is a treat to play-through. Yeah, it's not an original title like Sonic Rush but it stands out by taking Sonic Rush and mixing it with Sonic Team's version of Sonic Colors Wii. Two great games intertwined into making another fun game.

• Thumbs Up 6

Like what the fuck is going on in this thread. I guess part of the reason is that everyone is trying to act funny, but these posts are beyond ridiculous. Sonic Colors is praised for having one of the best soundtracks the series has ever had. Sonic Colors DS just used midi versions of it due to hardware constraints and used some remixes from Sonic Rush.

Sonic Rush level design blows. Have you guys actually played the game lately? As someone who tried to replay the levels, it's beyond frustrating. The amount of areas that you had to slow down to beat the enemies to proceed and the amount of bottomless pits drags the game down. A lot of these issues were remedied with later releases but the game has aged badly in that department.

Also what makes this

better than this

Let alone the fact that you're boosting the entire game so you're passing by most of it. Also on a technical level, the framerate and polygon count is increased dramatically with Sonic Colors DS. I've actually done comparisons between the two just to see how much graphics improved with the DS over time and I was impressed. The blocky low res Sonic model actually improved to something that looked visually nice. Also the HUD looks like poop.

As much as I find the music in Sonic Rush amazing, it doesn't excuse the poor level design choices that drag the game down. While there is an absence in Sonic Colors DS, it's not called Sonic Rush. The point of the game is to utilize the wisps, which is does well.

God damn, I remember when everyone used to rant against Sonic Rush and smash it to the ground.

I actually haven't played Rush for years, but the fun of it came from learning and mastering the level design to maximize your score bonus and speed. The trick system gave it a super smooth, engaging flow that negated any issues I would have otherwise had with bottomless pits. It's not a game about exploring - it tests your ability to play it right and feels extremely rewarding for it. 

Not sure why you're linking those songs either, tbh. You're just proving the point being made against the game. Sonic Rush has to its name one of the most popular soundtracks in the series, and you're seriously trying to say it's anywhere near the same level of the shitty version of Colors' soundtrack? lol, please. I love Colors' OST - that DS shit is not the same. If I wanted butchered trash versions of good Sonic stuff I'd go check some YouTube remixes.

Blue Blood can talk about the visuals better than I can in this case and I know he's already doing that so I'll just skip ahead. 

I've put dozens of hours into Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush alone because I hated the other two, so eh. Rush Adventure had the stupid boat bullshit that padded the game out forever and a soundtrack written by Ohtani cosplaying as the legendary Naganuma. C'mon SEGA, the hell were you thinking with that? You thought people wouldn't notice cheap imitation in lieu of the real deal? Psh. 

Colors DS got rid of the trick system. ... It got rid of the trick system. It got rid of the trick system. What the fuck is that about? You serious? Game's automatically trash for that alone - I only played it for an hour before putting it down and never touching it again. It's like "oh hey here's the new Mario Kart also you can't drift lol". That's seriously unforgivable. 

Everything Colors DS kind of sort of does "right" was done better in the actual Sonic Colors so eh.

Sonic Rush is a game with a profound sense of identity. It's a game that, in spite of its flaws, makes a huge impression with an outstanding amount of confidence, flash, and fun. The sheer speed of the game was unmatched at the time, the two screen gimmick was a fun, creative use of the DS' design, and the music was of course outstanding.

What is Colors DS? A cheap imitation in every sense of the word. It very poorly imitates Sonic Colors by trying to turn Rush into something it's not. It has to its name a poor, neutered version of the better soundtrack we got in the better version of the game. Colors DS has no identity. 

Also it got rid of the trick system

puking.png

• Thumbs Up 6

*Special Stage music*

Great job picking out the one good original track in the game. And the MIDI versions of the Wii tracks were pretty damn bad too. This isn't everyone trying to be funny, we're disliking parts of a game for perfectly legitimate reasons and having fun at the same time.

Sonic Rush level design was cheap, plus three stages were riddled with "defeat all the enemies" areas like you say. It was something very different to past games though, and fairly easily to look past. Remember when SRA made it way better though? Colours DS level design isn't bad generally. It overuses the Wisps (gee, where have I heard that before?) and doesn't to much to improve on what came before.

Also what makes this

large.jpg

better than this 

soniccolors300-610.jpg

A lot of things, but first I have to point out that that screenshot of Rush is from a beta and has the colours washed out. Here's a better version.

Sonic_Rush_MirageRoad.png

By the time of Colours DS, Dimps level are had completely lost all sense of coherency. Shading and light sources were near non-existent, and we instead had simple gradients and flat colours to take their place. Backgrounds became big, unscrolling flat images with no parallax (and Rush/Rush Adventure didn't exactly excel in this realm either), making the whole thing look tacky. 

Let alone the fact that you're boosting the entire game so you're passing by most of it. Also on a technical level, the framerate and polygon count is increased dramatically with Sonic Colors DS. Sprites are also less pixel-y and blurry. I've actually done comparisons between the two just to see how much graphics improved with the DS over time and I was impressed. The blocky low res Sonic model actually improved to something that looked visually nice. Sprites such as rings are cleaned up. Also the HUD looks like poop in Sonic Rush.

The 3D sides of the games remained consistent across the series, as did the 30fps standard. Have you got any comparisons to show us? All I can remember is that they change the run animation for Colours so Sonic looked like a giant head with legs.

but yeah i forgot the rush hud was poop so the whole game is poop oh wait thats not right wut

Okay.

As much as I find the music in Sonic Rush amazing, it doesn't excuse the poor level design choices that drag the game down. While there is an absence in Sonic Colors DS, it's not called Sonic Rush. The point of the game is to utilize the wisps, which is does well. May I remind you that Sonic Rush employs Sonic's old voice actor and has Tails/Cream screaming at the top of their lungs?

ALLL RIGHT YESAHH ALL RIGHT YES YES ALL RIGHT WOOOO ALL RIGHT YES ALL RIGHT YES YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WOOOOOOOOOO YEAH WOOO ALL RIGHT YEA ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT YERAHHAH YEAHHHHH YEAHHHH

YESSSSSS

I don't think the level design is as bad at you're saying, but whatever floats your boat. Colours DS isn't as fun to play, mainly because Rush's trick system was so manic and made button mashing an immensely rewarding experience with the chance to use it with a bit of skill to access different routes. The Wisps have just never been such a good mechanic.

And complaining about those voice clips is dumb. I don't think anyone liked that.

http://youtu.be/sJQLs4KMeoQ

God damn, I remember when everyone used to rant against Sonic Rush and smash it to the ground.

So is this why you can't stand anyone having anything negative to say about Colours DS then?

• Thumbs Up 5

As I said several times, why does it matter if they got rid of the trick system when the game isn't designed around it? You literally just said the trick system was cool because it rewarded you with new areas. The wisps did exactly that. Also, that's not even factually correct. All tricks did was give you boost. The "edge grabbing" mechanic has been in the series since Sonic Advance and is also present in Sonic Colors DS. Come on now.

Edit: Oh man, did you guys seriously just compare the trick system to drifting in Mario Kart? Fucking unbelievable.

And complaining about those voice clips is dumb. I don't think anyone liked that.

No one liked it so you're not allowed to complain about it.. what? We're arguing sound but what's the point in good music when its drowned out by the worst Sonic voice actor screaming at you?

Great job picking out the one good original track in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JitirWV2iAw. This isn't everyone trying to be funny, we're disliking parts of a game for perfectly legitimate reasons and having fun at the same time.

No. You can argue that x part is worse or y part is better, but to completely dismiss the game is what I'm arguing against.

Sonic Colors DS is NOT Sonic Rush. Getting rid of a mechanic that had NO use in the game and was instead replaced by a DIFFERENT mechanic isn't that big of a deal.

Edit 2:

Back on the trick thing. As I said, the ability to explore areas was made by the edge grab. NOT by the tricks. The edge grab wasn't removed (I think lol) in Sonic Colors DS. Also Wisps served the same purpose is skillfully using them to access new areas. While the focus on Sonic Rush was on tricks, the focus on Sonic Colors DS was wisps. The level design also makes it obvious. Sonic Colors DS feels a lot slower and your boost meter isn't guaranteed to be full. You're also spending a lot of time as wisps. The levels themselves are smaller and more constrained. The constant rail grinding and being thrown in the air in Rush isn't existent

here.

You're going into Sonic Colors DS expecting Sonic Rush 3. That's the problem. I wish people would stop saying it's Sonic Rush 3 because it isn't. Besides the fact that it's 2D and you boost a lot, the design philosophies of both games are completely different. It's unfair to criticize Sonic Colors DS because it's not Sonic Rush. I'd honestly argue it's actually really stupid.

Quote dissection is bad and I feel bad. Moving on...

As I said several times, why does it matter if they got rid of the trick system when the game isn't designed around it? You literally just said the trick system was cool because it rewarded you with new areas. The wisps did exactly that. Also, that's not even factually correct. All tricks did was give you boost. The "edge grabbing" mechanic has been in the series since Sonic Advance and is also present in Sonic Colors DS. Come on now.

Edit: Oh man, did you guys seriously just compare the trick system to drifting in Mario Kart? Fucking unbelievable.

It matters because Colours DS plays exactly like Rush. The engine is unchanged the level design philosophies are no different either. The trick mechanic made Rush. Getting rid of it and replacing it with something else entirely different without changing anything else is going to cause some problems. The Wisps had their own rewards, but this boils down simply to finding different things fun. Colours DS stripped away the best parts of Rush.

No one liked it so you're not allowed to complain about it.. what? We're arguing sound but what's the point in good music when its drowned out by the worst Sonic voice actor screaming at you?

What's the point in good music (except it wasn't good) when it's interrupted by looping ingles every five seconds?

It's just a silly thing to pull up the voice clips when you're trying to convince others the game is worse when they're already a recurring criticism. Yeah, the voice clips sucked. But hey ho they didn't ruin it for me.

No. You can argue that x part is worse or y part is better, but to completely dismiss the game is what I'm arguing against.

I've said it a few times already, I don't think Colours DS was bad. If anything it's the last passable Sonic game that Dimps made. It's just wholly inferior to it's predecessors.

Sonic Colors DS is NOT Sonic Rush. Getting rid of a mechanic that had NO use in the game and was instead replaced by a DIFFERENT mechanic isn't that big of a deal.

Well, I might as well...

"It matters because Colours DS plays exactly like Rush. The engine is unchanged the level design philosophies are no different either. The trick mechanic made Rush. Getting rid of it and replacing it with something else entirely different without changing anything else is going to cause some problems. The Wisps had their own rewards, but this boils down simply to finding different things fun. Colours DS stripped away the best parts of Rush."

It matters because Colours DS plays exactly like Rush. The engine is unchanged the level design philosophies are no different either.

Wrong and wrong! Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure had long levels with lots of horizontal and vertical progression. Sonic Colors DS didn't have that. Sonic Rush was focused on constantly throwing Sonic in the air to exploit his tricks moves, and then exploiting the edge grab to reach new areas. There's also a bigger emphasis on boost in this game. In Sonic Colors DS, it's a lot slower. The progression of vertical and horizontal isn't as drastic as it was. Edge grabbing is present but it's not the big mechanic anymore. To access secret areas, shortcuts, and hidden items you had to use wisps.

It's just a silly thing to pull up the voice clips when you're trying to convince others the game is worse when they're already a recurring criticism.

I don't know where you and Sami got that I'm saying Colors DS beats Sonic Rush in the music department. I already made it clear Sonic Rush is by far my favorite soundtrack. In fact, I've even routinely mentioned wanting the composers to come back in the statuses and other threads. All I'm saying is that you guys are saying Sonic Colors DS music is shit and annoying. I mean, Sonic Rush is great and all but it's also pulled back by very annoying voice clips (you know, a complaint that this forum wouldn't shut up about in Sonic Boom). The game itself also uses MIDI versions of the CD soundtrack, which don't sound nearly as good as the CD version. Sonic Colors DS music is fine.

I've said it a few times already, I don't think Colours DS was bad. If anything it's the last passable Sonic game that Dimps made. It's just wholly inferior to it's predecessors.

I get that, but I was mostly commenting on your post about it having "absolutely terrible graphics" and Sami's "If Sonic Rush sucked ass".

Edit: Seriously, go back and watch videos on Sonic Colors DS and look for yourself.

I actually forgot the game also introduced homing attack, slide, wall jumping, and stomping. There's a bunch of new mechanics here being used for its level design. Also, if you take a look at the video the space Sonic is in is incredibly constrained. It's a lot more focused on dodging obstacles, platforming, and using wisps. That's the flow. It's not Sonic Rush where you boost to win and do tricks. I treat Sonic Rush Adventure more as a racing game, while Sonic Colors DS has a bigger focus on slowing down.

I'm already expecting Sola Sonica and another poorly written story by Pontaff. It's sucks to be so damn cynical for a new Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 9

With Sonic Boom and Sonic Runners having an emphasis on Sonic's friends, I feel like they might be returning. Also, does Pontaff write the story? I thought Sonic Team designs the game and the overall story and Pontaff just puts words in Sonic's mouth. Or at least I remember hearing something similar for Sonic Lost World.

I would imagine that Sonic Team decides on the main story elements - zone ideas, bosses - and that it's Pontac and Graff's job to string it all together.

Also all three DS Sonic games were flawed in their own ways, but Rush Adventure comes out of it best, for me.

Then again, a big complaint toward the story is the script. So even if Pontac and Graff don't model the story, they're still the mastermind behind a lot of bad script choices.

• Thumbs Up 7

With Sonic Boom and Sonic Runners having an emphasis on Sonic's friends, I feel like they might be returning. Also, does Pontaff write the story? I thought Sonic Team designs the game and the overall story and Pontaff just puts words in Sonic's mouth. Or at least I remember hearing something similar for Sonic Lost World.

I dunno man. If this happens then I'd be fecking HYPED for the newest Sonic game. But with the way 3D Sonic games have been for the past 7 and a half years and Sonic Boom being made by a third party I think there's a very, very small chance of that happening.

RoL's performance has little to do with it right now. But it's separate to regular Sonic and unrelated to Sonic Team's endeavours. And Runners is merely a mobile game, with profit via IAPs being key to the design - of course such a title is going to have multiple characters. You can't seriously compare it to a full-fledged game. Reading further into it is painfully grasping at straws.

I really don't care if Sonic is the only playable character. If they can't even make good gameplay with the default character, I honestly don't expect them to have any chance in hell of making other characters unique and enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree that other playable characters aren't much of a big deal. I understand why people want them, since it's been a recurring thing in the franchise up until Unleashed, but they're not really a priority to me compared to making sure playing as Sonic is as fun as possible.

I care more about characters being written well / having more importance than them being playable, even if it can be used to improve that. I also care more about a game playing well than wasting resources and time on other characters being playable.

So in the end, this Sonic-only thing is something I've never minded too terribly much, though I'd prefer having more playable characters if I can get it. Plus, I understand not as many people want to play as just Sonic, and that's fine.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't mind other characters not being playable if they weren't dangling the possibility in my face through the games' architecture and design as a result of misguided pandering. Multiplayer in Colors and Lost World and the missions in Gens (not to mention the fact that that game basically did a genre roulette anyway) would've been prime opportunity to just reskin some motherfuckers, but we can't even get that because the conversation around characters is too volatile due to years of broad-stroke bitching that Sega's probably convinced even tucking them away under completely optional multiplayer is a public health hazard. The icing on the cake is the fact that most of the cast isn't relevant anymore because of painfully contrived reasons. Let's keep throwing Sonic in space and alternate dimensions only he arrived in unscathed cuz reasons. Surely no one will notice a pattern.

• Thumbs Up 9

Unleashed involved the entire planet earth and nobody was present for that one either. I doubt the setting of the game was deliberately chosen to leave other characters out. If they didn't want them in, they would just ignore them like they always do.

Yeah, I really don't think the setting is meant to be a justification for it. Especially since the extended cast actually showed up in Generations (as well as Colours DS). If they wanted the others to be playable they'd probably just have them show up "because reasons" too.

I care more about characters being written well / having more importance than them being playable, even if it can be used to improve that. I also care more about a game playing well than wasting resources and time on other characters being playable.

So in the end, this Sonic-only thing is something I've never minded too terribly much, though I'd prefer having more playable characters if I can get it. Plus, I understand not as many people want to play as just Sonic, and that's fine.

Edited by Celestia

To be fair, Shadow and Knuckles were rumored to be in but were cut anyway. I also give it a general pass because everything about the game was a deliberate change of pace. Same with Colors following Unleashed after its reception. But Gens has no excuse for the way it treated the extended cast, and Lost World with how utterly meaningless everything in the game in regards to actually serving a good narrative is is pushing it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I thought the Shadow and Knuckles rumour was debunked as a SEGA rep not really knowing what they were talking about?

Apologies; that's what I meant by it being rumored. I don't think anyone did any rigorous looking into so much as we just kinda assumed he was confused.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, when I played Unleashed again I thought it was actually weird how the extended cast didn't appear there at all. They didn't have to have significant roles or anything, but it would have been cool to see them in the hubs up to their own business while the Gaia stuff was going on. 

• Thumbs Up 4

To be honest, I'm at the point where I don't care either way anymore. Sega will bring back the extended cast whenever they feel like it, whether its in a significant role or glorified cameos. Given how paltry the narrative has been as of late, I don't even know if I want them back. Might be a blessing in disguise that helps me preserve the positive view I have left of them.

As for the gameplay front, as much as I want to have an option to play as someone else, I can be satisfied with just Sonic for the most part. I still say Tails should at least be playable if they're gonna treat him as much as an important figure as Sonic & Eggman, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Still got the comics at least :V