Awoo.

Sonic Amateur Games Expo 14

Neo Hazard

sage_invite.png

SAGE, or the Sonic Amateur Game Expo, is an annual event that takes place completely online. All of the fan game projects from around the Sonic community to share their games, progress, and projects. SAGE has grown each year and this particular year looks to be exciting as ever with the release of two games: Sonic Rebirth and Sonic Robo Blast 2. This year also has popular games and games such as Sonic Nexus, Project Mettrix, and many more!

SAGE has also expanded with a constantly full chatroom with special guests, radio shows, and contests. One of the confirmed guests this year is Tom Payne, one of the artists behind Sonic 2 and Spinball, don't miss it! Here are the links to the official site and

Be sure to check it out starting July 19 through July 25! Edited by Neo Hazard

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean

• Slingerland

• JayZeach

• azoo

lol at Slingerland.

Anyways, I'm rather excited for this year. Although some games I've been anticipating (such as Mecha Madness & Sonic Attitude) aren't gonna be there, Rebirth, Nexus & Mettrix are gonna be there, so I'm gonna go nuts with those while I can.

Oh, and I guess having a full version SRB2 there is pretty cool as well.

What pisses me off about SAGE is that every year i seem to miss it and i dont know what fan-games were shown. Could you guys put in list of games that were shown after SAGE is over so we can look them up later for progress? There were soo many good fangames last year and i forgot half of them.

Ill try to check out SAGE this year if i dont get cursed like every year. How is "sonic robo blast 2" a new release? i thought that game was released a long time ago?

SRB2 has never made a full release before. Like most Sonic fangames, it has been a bunch of demos. The game's completion is certainly the end of an era. I've almost graduated college and I was playing the first demo of it in middle school.

When it comes to following the games after SAGE, some authors are secretive about their projects until the next show. I know that I kept to myself until last year when I made a website for Sonic Nexus (see: sig). If you want to keep up with your favorites, just bookmark their booth/website or frequent Sonic Fan Games HQ or, in some cases, Sonic Retro more. The popular games usually have active threads in the project discussion forums.

The completion of Sonic RoboBlast2's development is good for motivating the rest of us to not give up on our own designing goals, and to keep on going at our own paces, regardless of what obstacles may lie in our path. :D

I'll definitely be there with a brand-new booth. (Even though my latest beta release still has a glitchy physics engine. I'll still be there. :P )

I want to make a 3D game but, I have no idea what program to use, I hate GM.

Well, as far as I'm aware, people begin with something small and gradually climb up before going totally big and blowing all over.

I'm guessing that in your case you can start off by building maps for your favourite FPS game (assuming that you have a favourite FPS game).

Most of the FPS games that I know have specific map-building utilities which are designated especially for them. (Such specific utilities usually come bundled on the installation CD of the legally purchased game, but if they're not there then you can easily find them on the web.)

Through trial-and-error map-building you will gradually learn how the engine of the 3D game functions and how all of the objects/entities are connected to each other and stuff like that.

(It's time-consuming, yet it's so intriguing. And yes, it can feel rewarding if you're determined enough.)

In case you didn't know this before, Sonic RoboBlast 2 runs on the DOOM engine. This means that at one point in time the designer(s) of that fangame was(were) merely building maps for DOOM, before finally getting the idea to mix Sonic & furry friends into the gameplay. ;)

I hope that I helped you out in some way. If I didn't help then at least I tried to do so. :(

On the subject of fangames, exactly how do you make a level with the Sonic Worlds engine? I have some knowledge of how to work with Multimedia Fusion 2, but I'm not sure how I can start building a level.

I want to be able to start somewhere, and hopefully get somewhere with making a fangame.

I think that a momentous occasion has hardly been mentioned enough in the topic: the momentous release of the greatest 3D Sonic title ever. Of course, I can only be speaking of Sonic Robo Blast 2.

I've played the hell out of the three zone demo, and completed it again yesterday in anticipation. Heck, I even played through the entire Mystic Realm level pack! Not even the original Sonic Adventur will be able to compare with the greatness of the completed Sonic Robo Blast 2.

Unfortunately, SRB2ME(aka v2.0) is not actually the complete SRB2, as some stuff is still missing(mainly some single player acts). However, it is a huge step up from 1.09.4, with a revamped multiplayer game, and plenty of new single player maps. Some zones probably will probably only have one or two acts, but Deep Sea Zone(3rd stage) is the only new stage that is actually complete as far as I know.

We're finally going to get a new version of SRB2 with actual substantial content and this is all that matters ever.

My heart-shaped sticker that's covering my crotch is wet with furious ecstasy.

Ah, SAGE. This year's SAGE is gonna be awesome. My game is also gonna have a booth there, for sure, I've already signed up.

Guest Sanic4K6

Well I'm going to stick with making 2D games, My new fan game, Sonic Blur Brawl is fast with fighting stuff.

Anybody here know if SRB2's gonna include an actual finished Knuckles finally? I thought SSNTails said something about that on their forums...

He does have new sprites, but I don't know if all of them are actually done, as SSN might have more sprites ready to be added when he puts it together before the 18th.

Sonic Rebirth, SonicRoboBlast2 and Sonic Nebulous (Or did people forget about that)

I believe those 3 will be the core focus of SAGE this year as those are the 3, finished games, or rather:

Sonic Rebirth is in it's final release, the final version, as is Sonic Nebulous (Both creators of these projects, if i remember correctly are now working on other things)

And as far as I know, SRB2 Is in either it's final, or close to final release however it is a brand new version with lots of updates in it.

Either way, this years SAGE will mark a note in history, when 2 Fangames (at least) Are finished, showing that it can be done. Showing that it's not all wasted effort, and hopefully this will spur everyone on in their own projects such as Sonic Nexus, or Sonic2HD.

Anyways, that's enough out of me =D

And as far as I know, SRB2 Is in either it's final, or close to final release however it is a brand new version with lots of updates in it.

Acctually, SSNTails was married just recently, so this is the last BIG release.

And yes, Knuckles should be finished. Along with most of the levels. It's not the final, it's just the "Oh lookit what we got done, oh, and this is the last big update kbai."

Anyways SAGE will kick major ass man.

Acctually, SSNTails was married just recently, so this is the last BIG release.

And yes, Knuckles should be finished. Along with most of the levels. It's not the final, it's just the "Oh lookit what we got done, oh, and this is the last big update kbai."

Anyways SAGE will kick major ass man.

Ahh okay, cheers for clarifying Galaxy Man, now, go save the galaxy(again)

IT'LL KICK ASS, MAJOR ASSAGE.

I was there until like 4am, I'm so tired right now and I have to go to work haha. The chat was fun, I found myself chatting more this year than last year. I've got a couple games I've downloaded that I'll try out when I get home from work.

I've really never attended SAGE before, but I'm at the chat right now while listening to music and browsing in the website, =D. I gotta say, this is pretty awesome, ^^. It's a shame I'm at work right now and can't play anything at the moment, but I already want to try Sonic Nexus, SRB2, Rebirth, and Project Mettrix.

I really need to learn how to make some fan games already, XD.

-Blur