Awoo.

Sega Plans 2015 - Service Games Games

ChikaBoing

This is most likely turn out to be nothing, but has anyone heard of this?

I can't find any info on the guy, though it seems it's a work for hire? I think it's definitely not a game, and it's under the same category like Sonic Boom, but it's definitely not a tv show. I thought comic book, but that's usually visual.  So what is it?

The address he provided seems to be his house so that makes it seem like it's nothing. Anyone have an idea? 

tmp_29262-Screenshot_2015-10-04-13-27-21-255682110.png

• 4 weeks later...

TaxStealth ports incoming? God I hope so, hopefully they come to 8th gen as well if they do replace the Backbone emulations. 

TaxStealth ports incoming? God I hope so, hopefully they come to 8th gen as well if they do replace the Backbone emulations. 

Probably not.

Edited by TimmiT

If Sonic Lost "first game in Nintendo-exclusive partnership" World can get a PC port literally out of the blue, I wouldn't completely rule out the Taxman/Stealth remasters finally getting a console release...

...at least for the Xbox One XBLA and Wii U VC, that is. The 360 and Wii are legacy consoles as of nowadays, I don't think Sonic 1 and 2 will be coming back to the XBLA / VC platforms for those consoles.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2

If Sonic Lost "first game in Nintendo-exclusive partnership" World can get a PC port literally out of the blue, I wouldn't completely rule out the Taxman/Stealth remasters finally getting a console release...

...at least for the Xbox One XBLA and Wii U VC, that is. The 360 and Wii are legacy consoles as of nowadays, I don't think Sonic 1 and 2 will be coming back to the XBLA / VC platforms for those consoles.

They need to bring them to the PC first, there's already CD Remastered there so it'll be most weird with the lack of 1&2 Remastered.

Thinking about it more, maybe they're just not renewing the licenses to have those games in outdated consoles?

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Because I really can't think of or find another thread to post this in.

So I've taken a look at the sales of Sonic games (main series console, main series handheld, Sonic spinoffs, and Sega crossover spinoffs) recorded by Sega-Sammy's financial reports, which are available on their official website (based on the fiscal year total sales), which date all the way back to 2005. They also have a few annual reports/flash reports for Sega Corp. and Sammy Corp. individually (prior to the merger), that span from 2000 to 2004. Here's what I've found:

2004 Sega Corp. Annual Report:

Sonic Heroes (not clarified, but I presume all platforms it was released on at the time-PS2/XB/GC) (US/EU/JP): 1,420,000

2005 FY / 2005 Annual Report:

Sonic Mega Collection Plus (PS2/XB) (US): 2,190,000

This one requires a bit of explanation. The 2005 FY doesn't actually refer to Mega Collection Plus, it only cites a game called "Sonic series" selling 2.19 million units. However, the 2005 Annual Report does cite as such: "In the U.S., Sonic Mega Collection Plus aggregating 13 game software titles from the Sonic series sold more than 2 million copies thanks to heavy demand." So with that in mind, I think the FY is referring to Mega Collection Plus, rather than a collective group of assorted Sonic games (which was my first assumption).

2006 FY / Appendix / Annual Report:

Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2/XB/GC) (US/EU): 1,590,000

Sonic Riders (PS2/XB/GC) (US/EU) (the Full Year Results incorrectly labels it a Nintendo DS game): 930,000

(FY 2005 results below, added within the FY 2006 results)

Sonic Heroes (PS2/XBOX/GC): 1,290,000 (Apx) / 1,570,000 (AR)

Total: 2,520,000

2007 FY:

Sonic The Hedgehog [2006] (PS3/360) (US/EU): 870,000

Sonic Mega Collection (Plus) (PS2/XB/GC) (US): 570,000

Sonic Riders (PS2/XB/GC/PC) (US): 560,000

Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2/XB/GC) (US): 470,000

Sonic Heroes (PS2/XB/GC) (US): 420,000

Sonic Rush (NDS) (EU): 360,000

Total: 3,250,000

2008 FY:

Mario and Sonic at the [Beijing 2008] Olympic Games (Wii/DS): 2,511,300 (US) + 3,047,100 (EU) = 5,558,400

Sega Superstars Tennis (PS3/360/Wii/PS2/PSP/DS/PC) (US): 565,700

Total: 6,124,100

2009 FY:

Mario and Sonic at the [Beijing 2008] Olympic Games (Wii/DS) (US/EU): 4,210,000

Sonic Unleashed (PS3/360/Wii/PS2) (US/EU/JP): 2,450,000

Total: 6,666,000

2010 FY:

Mario and Sonic at the [Vancouver 2010] Olympic Winter Games (Wii/DS) (US/EU): 6,530,000

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (PS3/360/Wii/DS) (US/EU): 1,070,000

Total: 7,600,000

2011 FY:

Sonic Colors (Wii/DS) (US/EU/JP): 2,180,000

(Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I (iOS -- Title Sales) is listed, but in a "Major Titles/Other Game Content" category for mobile/web browser games that are separate from the "Major Titles/Home Video Game Software" category retail titles are in. This specific category also lacks sales numbers.)

2012 FY:

Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii/3DS) (US/EU): 3,280,000

Sonic Generations (PS3/360/3DS/PC) (US/EU/JP): 1,850,000

Total: 5,130,000

2013 FY:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (WiiU/PS3/360/3DS/PSV/PC): 1,360,000

2014 FY:

Sonic Lost World (WiiU/3DS) (US/EU/JP): 710,000

2015 FY:

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (WiiU) + Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS) (US/EU/JP): 620,000

Will probably try to make a mini followup post that details any recorded sales of Sonic games that didn't make it to the fiscal year but were recorded on the financial quarters (I know Rush Adventure appeared in one quarter at least), but there you have it for the fiscal year sales, at least. Some (personal) conclusions:

Heroes, with the 2004 AR results, combined with following cumulative 2005 FY (from 2006 AR) and 2007 FY results, sold at least 3,230,000 copies on all platforms. This puts it ahead of Sonic Adventure (Gamasutra source at over 2.5M) and Sonic Unleashed (Sega source, 2.45M) as the best-selling mainline game since Sonic 2 on the Genesis, and the best-selling Sonic game since Sonic 2 on the Genesis in general until the Mario & Sonic series came along.

---

Mega Collection Plus, with the 2005 FY / AR and the cumulative 2007 FY results combined, sold at least 2,760,000 copies. This puts it behind Heroes as the game the best-selling Sonic title in general since Sonic 2. The 2005 FY / AR however also has an odd conflict with the 2006 AR and FY Appendix also has sales for Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Mega Collection Plus from the 2005 FY (concerning MC and MCP):

2005 FY Annual Report and FY Results: Mega Collection Plus - over two million units / 2.19 million

2005 FY in 2006 FY Appendix: Mega Collection: 980K > 860K

2005 FY in 2006 FY Annual Report: Mega Collection Plus 680K > 1M

The 2005 FY in the 2006 Appendix also makes the editing error of describing Sonic Mega Collection as being available on the PS2 and GameCube (despite the original being a GameCube exclusive). This could mean that the 980K reported for GC Mega Collection might have actually been meant for the PS2/XBOX Plus version, and vice versa.

---

Riders, with the 2006 FY and cumulative 2007 FY results combined, sold 1,450,000 copies. This makes it one of the few --if not the only-- Sonic spinoff games that have sold over one million games; which arguably explains why Sonic Team followed it up with two sequels. These cumulative sales also make Riders ahead of both the individual sales of both of the All-Stars Racing titles.

Shadow the Hedgehog, with the 2006 FY and cumulative 2007 FY results combined, sold at least 2,060,000(!!!) copies. Granted, I knew it sold one million copies, which isn't too surprising to me. Two million copies though...!

Sonic 2006 came close to but did not sell over one million copies, like some claimed (as far as we know, at least...). I don't really know what to make of that.

For a game reportedly touted to sell over two million copies, the claims that Secret Rings came anywhere close to that amount were arguably complete baloney given how it didn't perform well enough to appear on any of the fiscal year results. It seems the game didn't sell well to hit the one million mark, which I think allowed the Storybook series to be put on the chopping block pretty quickly.

Edited by Space☆Yeow
March 16th sales update
  • Thumbs Up 7

So I checked the quarter result reports...

Sonic Rush Adventure showed up in the second quarter report for 2008, 144,300 copies sold in the US, 234,800 copies sold in Europe. That rounds up to 378,100 copies sold concerning both territories.

It showed up in the third quarter report of the same fiscal year...with the numbers exactly the same. Didn't show up again after that.

I saw nothing concerning the non-Nintendo Sonic handhelds (PSP Sonic Rivals games), Sonic/Sega-specific compilation games that weren't Mega Collection (Gems Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or Classic Collection for the DS), or Sonic-central spinoffs (the Riders sequels, or the Storybook games...Secret Rings anyway, Black Knight got a cursory mention in the 2008 third quarter report as a pending major release in the 2008 fourth quarter).

Secret Rings, the first Sonic game for the Wii, wasn't high-profile enough in terms of status or sales to make it in the financial reports? So much for the frequently spouted two-million sales number...

UPDATE:

2006 Q1 results (not shown in 2006 FY results) show Heroes at 200K and Mega Collection at 190K. Mega Collection also appeared in all quarterly results, first at 70K units in Q1 then at 138.3K units in Q2 (linked above) and Q3 (this shows the total of units its sold throughout the year).

When combined with the above FY results, these sales puts Heroes at 2.04 million units and Mega Collection at 3,088,300 million units.

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Valkyria Chronicles titles for PS4 is announced only for Japan at the moment.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/11/sega_to_deploy_two_valkyria_chronicles_titles_on_the_ps4

Not terribly surprising, Okamura announced that they're doing a Japan first strategy.

http://www.tssznews.com/2015/11/17/sega-holdings-president-the-first-priority-for-now-is-for-titles-to-be-hit-in-japan-made-in-japan/

It could be that we could be seeing the new Valkyria titles at some point, but they haven't made any announcements in that regard.