Awoo.

Sega Plans 2015 - Service Games Games

ChikaBoing

Wow, so after getting Sonic games for 15 consecutive years (if you count the All-Stars Racing games), 2015 will be the first year since 1998 for the west not to get any console/gaming handheld Sonic title. That's amazing isn't it? 15 years.

EDIT: Actually maybe, there could be a Mario & Sonic title in the works and Nintendo will be showcasing it. But after the poor sales of the last Mario & Sonic title, I'm not expecting this kind of reveal.

Wow, so after getting Sonic games for 15 consecutive years (if you count the All-Stars Racing games), 2015 will be the first year since 1998 for the west not to get any console/gaming handheld Sonic title. That's amazing isn't it? 15 years.

EDIT: Actually maybe, there could be a Mario & Sonic title in the works and Nintendo will be showcasing it. But after the poor sales of the last Mario & Sonic title, I'm not expecting this kind of reveal.

It really is surreal, isn't it?

There's also the All-Stars brand, but that would presumably mean using someone besides Sumo and that would be very odd.

As for Boom titles, while I wouldn't doubt SEGA counted the chickens before they hatched (we need look no further than the "based on the hit TV series!" solicits from the comics before the cartoon was even out), it would still seem weird for there to be another game only a year after the last.

Sonic Boom mobile app

That's news to me, lol.

As for the games, so 3D Sonic 2 don't necessarily count for this year's handheld console Sonic release? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, pretty much confirmed there's no major Sonic game this year then besides Sonic Runners...possibly Mario & Sonic too? Bummer. 8I

Ah well. At least it gives me enough time to play other games this year! Still it's pretty amazing that this might be the first time in years we get no major Sonic games.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm hoping that they don't announce an major console Sonic game this year (plus I think the Sonic franchise needs to hang low in general right after Sonic Boom - at this point people are getting sick of Sonic and will use Sonic Boom to bash on whatever Sonic game SEGA is making next).

Give Sonic an break for however long it takes for them to make an quality game and focus on themselves and their other franchises. Plus, I think it will be interesting to see how SEGA will manage without relying on Sonic so much.

• Thumbs Up 6

If you been aware, former SoA President Tom Kalinske has been quite critical of SEGA's decisions (remember what he said a couple of months ago when the restructuring at SEGA was at its freshest?), reaching far back as 20 years. 

With SEGA not having a major presence at E3 this year (first time in its inception), Tom had some interesting, yet not-too-surprising words about it.

If you been aware, former SoA President Tom Kalinske has been quite critical of SEGA's decisions (remember what he said a couple of months ago when the restructuring at SEGA was at its freshest?), reaching far back as 20 years. 

With SEGA not having a major presence at E3 this year (first time in its inception), Tom had some interesting, yet not-too-surprising words about it.

Not surprised he said that, given what he said months ago.

Let's be honest and say that after 4 olympic games, the only thing that can grab us attention are the very good remixes that usually emerges from them. Seriously, enough olympic games.

I do not want more Boom, period. I doubt SEGA will allow another game, at least not for consoles, even they aren't so dense.

I still want a Sumo's game thought...

Like Konami, I dont think Sega has many overseas investors or similar...so Kalinske saying that won't attract these types of people, they already aren't there anyways, Sega already waved the white flag!

It's primarly japanese people seeing "Sonic" and "overseas studios" as Sega's global strategy - rather than the Sega brand as a whole.

We got Runners. 

We got Runners.

I said console/gaming handheld.

• Thumbs Up 1

...I'm trying to read his post seriously but the fact he breaks into "Wht nxt change Sonic 2 a dog" breaks the seriousness of the moment. An executive using text talk is just too hilarious.

What he says is really sad, though. SEGA helped found the event and now it's pulling out. Times really have changed.

The more I think about it, the less important E3 seems in this day and age. 

All you need these days to have an E3 experience is a youtube channel and a blog.

The more I think about it, the less important E3 seems in this day and age. 

All you need these days to have an E3 experience is a youtube channel and a blog.

It is a fair point.

If Nintendo can cancel their E3 conference and get by just fine, it speaks to the obsolescence of the trade show concept. Everyone has e-mails, so all a company wanting to plug their product needs to do is just send them out to the various press sites...

Really the main importance of a trade show is a hands on experience... and that can be accounted for by showing up at conventions open to the public, which SEGA clearly does.

Considering the problems they've had with Sonic 4 comparability, I bet that's one of the games on the list.

I'd like to think this is part of a company wide initiative to raise the bar on product quality... but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, I remember when they said they were delisting Sonic games of mediocre reception to increase the value of the brand after Sonic Colors and Sonic 4 Episode I received good reviews, and the company went to the extent of pulling new copies of Unleashed, Sonic 06, and Black Knight from shelves.

...and then we got Sonic 4 Episode II, Lost World, and the Sonic Boom tie-in games in the immediate following years. :v

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, de-listing and the like isn't that big a deal. I mean, the only other example I can think of is...I think Activision or some such, with some of their badly-received Marvel games or something?

I actually like SEGA--well, Sonic Team, not so much SEGA as a whole, whatever--I actually like them a lot, but I highly doubt this is an indication of any sort of huge change in how they do things, nor is it intended to be. I think it's just a small little thing they're doing in good faith and should be taken at face value. If anything I'm surprised y'all aren't just happy Sonic 4's probably going to be removed from at least one platform.

First releasing many Sonic games (I don't know about other Sega-games) which are considered bad, then remove them and pretend they don't exist. Then start to made more bad or unfinished games (TW: Rome 2, Aliens:CM and Sonic Boom) and then start removing games from other place, where the games aren't so bad (I'm only played 3 IOS games).

Sega, it's a good thing that you do quality control but quality control is something you should do BEFORE the game is released, not after the backlash because then it's too late

First releasing many Sonic games (I don't know about other Sega-games) which are considered bad, then remove them and pretend they don't exist. 

Did this actually ever happen?

Did this actually ever happen?

Yes, they de-listed all games with mixed metacritic scores in 2010. But recently they have brought some of them back to digital stores like Unleashed and Shadow the Hedgohog(japan only) to PS store.

Yes, they de-listed all games with mixed metacritic scores in 2010. But recently they have brought some of them back to digital stores like Unleashed and Shadow the Hedgohog(japan only) to PS store.

I don't believe they ever delisted those games in the first place. I still see those games in stores or online.