Awoo.

Sonic games that have aged well.

Diamond Sonic

Why should the fan base have anything to do with how you have fun? It's still a very shallow reason to say why a game isn't good.

The game's excellent, I'm not saying it makes the game bad. Look at my posts again.

Besides, why single out Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)? 

Because it's the game that everyone goes insane over and tries to push every other game out the way of so it gets enough recognition. It's really dumb.

Okay I get where you're coming from but literally none of what you described is happening in this topic.  I mentioned S3&K because it is a game I played out of it's time that I think has aged well.  I did not mention other Sonic games because no other Sonic games fulfill that criteria for me from my own experience.  Sonic 2 for example, I did play at the time, so I can't judge how well it has aged in the same way I can with S3&K.

And I can assure you even though S3&K is my fave of the mega drive titles there's like 5 other Sonic games I prefer to it overall so I'm sure as hell not disregarding the rest of the series whenever I do praise it.

Sonic 2 is regarded by many as a masterpiece. Sonic Adventure 2 is also regarded by many as one of the best games right behind the Genesis games.

Okay I get where you're coming from but literally none of what you described is happening in this topic.

I know, and I don't really mean to direct it at anyone here. It just annoys me so much seeing it all over the place  :wub:

Why was this debate necessary?

We could go elsewhere for it.

A thread on this debate would probably be hilariously one-sided and end up in flames :P

Should probably get back on topic.  :D

I know, and I don't really mean to direct it at anyone here. It just annoys me so much seeing it all over the place  :wub:

Okay well in conclusion then, to go back to where this all started with your initial response to my mention of S3&K, just try to avoid shooting down people's opinions on the assumption that they're doing something that you dislike that happens elsewhere.  Like, wait until someone actually says they feel S3&K is the only 16-bit game of value before you react as if they might be.  Make sure that is genuinely what they mean before arguing against it so passionately too because honestly the idea S3&K is the only classic game worth talking about sounds crazy to me and I'd assume anyone who says so is completely biased and not worth talking with anyway lol.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Okay well in conclusion then, to go back to where this all started with your initial response to my mention of S3&K, just try to avoid shooting down people's opinions on the assumption that they're doing something that you dislike that happens elsewhere.  Like, wait until someone actually says they feel S3&K is the only 16-bit game of value before you react as if they might be.

Sorry Jezzy  :wub:

... What did you expect when you make a topic called "Sonic games that have aged well"?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I really don't see how you didn't expect any type of debate when making a topic all about Sonic games which have aged well and haven't.

Yeah, I really don't see how you didn't expect any type of debate when making a topic all about Sonic games which have aged well and haven't.

The thread is about which Sonic games have aged well and which ones haven't. I didn't mean to go on a tangent about whether Sonic 3 is overappreciated or not. That's what I'm referring to.  :)

As much as I like Sonic Unleashed, I guess that hasn't aged well? I mean, the day stages... I guess it's just because of all the Sonic Generations I've played, but drifting, X/Square to boost and homing attack, and the sliding physics are a bit tiring.

We... We can talk about the games that haven't aged well too, right? ;;

As for one that has aged well, both Adventure games and Sonic CD seem pretty good in that regard. Sonic 3 as well. Can't say the same for Sonic 1 and 2 though, I recently played through them and they're not too great, in terms of aging. On the other hand I may be biased since I never cared much for them in the first place, hehe.

As much as I like Sonic Unleashed, I guess that hasn't aged well? I mean, the day stages... I guess it's just because of all the Sonic Generations I've played, but drifting, X/Square to boost and homing attack, and the sliding physics are a bit tiring.

That wasn't good when it came out either, so I wouldn't say that it hasn't aged well, as much as improvements in recent games have made an already undesirable flaw even worse by comparison.

A couple of years back I picked up a Game Gear with Sonic 1. It was quite a nice experience, honestly. The game was pretty smooth and still plays rather well today. The music was surprisingly good compared to some other Sonic games on the system and as a simple platformer it performed well enough, even if the physics and level design certainly weren't up there with the Mega Drive version.

Chaos emeralds were also hidden inside levels instead of special stages, which was pretty cool and you saw a map of the island between levels so you could see how the zones fit together. In my opinion this is the Game Gear game that has aged the best. It keeps things simple enough and doesn't push the hardware so much that the game starts to suffer from slowdown and other nasties, which I found to be the case with some other Sonic games on the Game Gear. 

And it also has Sonic sing the credits theme. What more could you ask for?

That wasn't good when it came out either, so I wouldn't say that it hasn't aged well, as much as improvements in recent games have made an already undesirable flaw even worse by comparison.

Well that's the thing, from the time I played it up until Gens, I thought those things were fine. Granted, I was several years younger than I am now, so... Although the QTEs are still just as fun as they were then. I love QTEs. XP

I think SA2 aged really well, honestly. I picked it up on Steam during the sale in a pathetic attempt to remind myself of the good old days of life, and even though it took some getting used to on a keyboard, I still managed to have a blast creating the most unsightly little chaos that I could concoct.

The camera on the mech levels still manages to be a bother, sadly, but if that's the only problem I (still) have all these years later than I'd say it aged rather well for me. 

I would argue that all the classic games have aged perfectly, even Sonic 1 if you can get over the no spindash and spike physics. There will always be a place for those games and there's a reason Sonic 3 & K is my most played Sonic game to date.

As for the Adventure games, I think they've aged horribly. Don't get me wrong, I love both Adventure 1 and 2 to death, but much like a lot of games from that era, Some problems are so glaring that they can't be ignored. I would find it hard to recommend these games to anyone that's not a fan of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Sonic games that aged well? Hmmm? I say Sonic 3 and Knuckles has really aged well because everybody loves that game including myself.