Awoo.

Nintendo Direct [April 1, 3PM PT/April 2 12AM CEST]

Carbo

No. It's true. The game is like Pokemon. There's two versions.

Sorry, that was in the Japanese Direct only. They're not promoting it that way in NA and have said nothing of the sort for NA at all. Maybe in Europe, too, I don't know. I only watched NA, and they did not say there'd be two versions in NA.

What, who already has DK64? Its already out elsewhere? Its not coming to NA until the 16th.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, that was in the Japanese Direct only. They're not promoting it that way in NA and have said nothing of the sort for NA at all. Maybe in Europe, too, I don't know. I only watched NA, and they did not say there'd be two versions in NA.

What, who already has DK64? Its already out elsewhere? Its not coming to NA until the 16th.

I have DK64. Nintendo has released all four of the announced games on the EU Eshop so in the EU and UK, Mario 64, DK64, Wario Ware Twisted, and Mario Kart DS have been released on the EU Eshop right after the direct.

Here's a post I made that notes some things about N64 VC on Wii U.

Alright. Got DK64 on the Eshop.

Looking at the opening rap cutscene, the internal things to comment on are...

-The games are cut down 4:3 like GBA games which means no widescreen

-The framerate, at least in the cutscenes are going alright which means they've hopefully sorted out all issues that relate to porting N64 games to Wii U

-By tapping the touchpad, you can bring up the normal restore points etc, but you can also view the original manual of the game.

-You can map the touchpad's buttons with the N64 controller.

Playing for a few minutes, everything seems to be here and working alright. There is no framerate issues so far, and the only real problems is the camera (Which I'll assume was a issue with the original DK64 anyway) and the 4:3 Aspect Ratio.

I have DK64. Nintendo has released all four of the announced games on the EU Eshop so in the EU and UK, Mario 64, DK64, Wario Ware Twisted, and Mario Kart DS have been released on the EU Eshop right after the direct.

Here's a post I made that notes some things about N64 VC on Wii U.

I know I saw your post. I'm just bewildered due to how different the Directs often are.

Call me crazy but I would had preferred Super Mario 64 DS. Because it's the remastered version. But it's better than nothing I guess.

From what I've heard, apparently Yoshi's Woolly World is being released sometime in June for Europe, while us NA folks have to wait until September. Is this actually true?

From what I've heard, apparently Yoshi's Woolly World is being released sometime in June for Europe, while us NA folks have to wait until September. Is this actually true?

*looks at Wikipedia* Yep, it's true.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Yoshi's Woolly World is confirmed for June in Europe. Sorry guys. ):

Maybe this is some kinda crazy revenge for us having to wait for late May for Kirby and STEAM.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't know. I don't think having to wait a month and a half is the same as going a Summer without any Nintendo releases. Nintendo of America just refuses to release anything in June or July.

Edit: It also makes me question what they're thinking on a cannibalism standpoint. Mario Maker is releasing in Fall, so is Xenoblade Chronicles X, and presumably Star Fox. Why overcrowd the market with Woolly World too?

I can't believe the Sonic amiibo is going to work in Mario Kart 8....

SONIC COSTUME, BLUE FALCON, 200cc! LET'S GO NEOW!

wtf sonic in a car??

No No! He's in a kart. That makes the world of difference!

Best direct of the year. 200 CC is hype. More freaking Waifu emblems yeaaaaaah. what a amazing time.

NDS and N64 on VC is great. i want the GC library now. gtg buy this mario 64.

The things that got me most excited (aka the things I now most want) are...

- Mewtwo DLC! Not overly fussed about Lucas, not my favourite character

- Mario Kart 8 DLC! Sonic suit! Rosalina suit! Animal Crossing track! 200cc!

- Splatoon! I hate myself for wanting even more amiibo, but Inkling Boy and the Special Edition squid one are mighty tempting...

- Yoshi's Woolly World! Again, I hate myself for wanting that Yarn Yoshi amiibo, but it's so damn cute!

- N64 and DS on Wii U VC is a welcome addition, especially the news that Paper Mario is coming soon! Never played Donkey Kong 64 either so I'll have to give that a whirl!

Overall I thought it was a solid Direct, wasn't expecting too many big announcements considering E3 is only two months away, but it delivered pretty much everything we expected and more so can't complain!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I missed Paper Mario. That's one I never got to play.

And I love what I'm hearing about DK64. It sounds like its extremely smooth. Looking forward to actually finish it.

That was a very nice Direct!  At the start I admit that I wasn't expecting much since E3 isn't that far away. But I'm very happy to have what was revealed, a few new titles and great updates to games already out.

I'm very excited for the Smash DLC, but even more excited that Nintendo's planning on supporting it for quite some time.  It was painfully obvious that Mewtwo would be shown, but seeing Lucas was a pretty awesome surprise. Even though Ness has Lucas's attacks as custom options, I'm happy to see him back as a character simply because I like him more.

And the Smash ballots... This is what caught my eye as well, since this can give characters -- within reason -- a chance to be in the game that otherwise might have been ignored. I have already cast in my votes, and I'm planning on doing a few more today. Sure nothing is guaranteed, but it doesn't hurt to try, right?

The indie titles all are looking great, and I think that it's a given now to assume that every direct will have a section dedicated to giving them spotlight. Whether or not this tickles anyone's fancy or even if they are available on other consoles, this is wonderful and shows that Nintendo is very serious in enticing indie devs to develop games on their consoles.

The new Fire Emblem is looking amazing. And as someone who stared with Awakening, them went back into the series to play the others and enjoyed it all the same, I'm fairly certain that who ever it's distributed, I'm buying the full experience. The change to make your character the main character really feels like a massive change instead of a tacked on decision, giving you the choice to decide what side of the war you favor. I look forward to more.

Now I've seen that their seems to be some mixed reaction to the actual reveal of SMTxFE, and what was shown was something that not many expected. I won't place myself on a high horse and say, "I knew it all! Praise me!", but I definitely remember that the only thing that was confirmed in the past about this title: that the game would take place in modern times. This is still very broad, and could have just meant that some crazy time anomaly bullshit flung Fire Emblem character into the present with the SMT characters or something like that. Still, I believe that what was shown was very impressive, vibrant and extremely lively. Plus, with all the talk on the rocket boosting unicorn looking silly, I think that looks cool as well as the characters and monsters. It feels like everything, when shit gets real will have a combination of fictional past and modern design. Overall, I found the trailer beautiful and looks like it will be fun.

And for all the talk about how "weeboo" and extremely happy the game seems to be, considering the two games that inspired this title, I highly --HIGHLY -- doubt that this game won't have any dark, cool, serious and fucked up moments. I mean, both Nintendo and Atlus would really have to be sipping on stupid juice to have that absent from this game. So I'm not worried, and I'm looking forward to this.

Anyway, onto one of my favorite titles of the year so far, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Wow. If there's one thing that I heard that through people off this game, it was how long that the enemy turns would take. I never really used the fast forward option in any of Intelligent System's other titles, so this didn't bother me. But it's great that this issue is being address, and with such hopefully more people will be keen to play this game. It's really an amazing title.

Great to see that Splatoon continues to get some well-deserved face time to help built up hype. And what was shown possibly has my favorite use of the Amiibos yet. Along with the extra modes, costumes and style, this game is looking amazing! I won't be shocked if this game has it's own Nintendo Direct somewhere close to it's release.

Oh and let's not forget one of my most hyped titles of the year: Yoshi's Wooly World. This game was announced a while back, then feel into aether for sometime. Then more was revealed at E3 and it feel into aether again! But I'm glad to see progress humming along, so even though I have to wait further down the year than my Euro-pals, I'm fine. Because this game looks like an beautiful HD baby of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story and honestly, that's all I ever wanted.

However, I'll admit... Since the game was confirmed to support amiibos a while back, I was curious to see the functionality would be. It's pretty much the Double cherry power-up, fine with that --

yarn_yoshi_amiibo.png?w=825&h=500&crop=1

bth_wipes_sweat-forehead.gif

"Oh, lordy lordy! I think I have the case of the vapors!"

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh yeah.. so I totally forgot about this til now but I did a Bingo Card O: let's see how I did!

CBqW9TMXIAA00M6.png

Hey I did pretty darn well and got two Bingos! Seems like I'm not always wrong eh? ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah.. so I totally forgot about this til now but I did a Bingo Card O: let's see how I did!

Hey I did pretty darn well and got two Bingos! Seems like I'm not always wrong eh? ;)

Why didn't you cross out Xenoblade Chronicles 3D? That did get a new trailer as well.

...or did it not show up in the European Direct or something...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Neither of those things were included in the EU Direct so I didn't cross them out ^^;

Xenoblade was already out here by the time it finished airing so that's probably why.

Alright. Got DK64 on the Eshop.

-The games are cut down 4:3 like GBA games which means no widescreen

There is no framerate issues so far, and the only real problems is the camera (Which I'll assume was a issue with the original DK64 anyway) and the 4:3 Aspect Ratio.

• Thumbs Up 2

(Quote abridged)

Why were you expecting widescreen on an emulation exactly?  The game ran in 4:3 originally.

If I recall, the game however does have a squished widescreen mode in the Options screen (the original intention being that it displays a squashed image that then becomes correct ratio when you force your TV to display in widescreen)... though if the Wii U forces it into 4:3 (i.e the Wii U is outputting a widescreen image displaying black bars itself to the left and right thus you can't force your TV to stretch the 4:3 image) then that'd be useless, and a bit of a shame/oversight on the Virtual Console team really...  That might be what you were referring to actually.

That's pretty damn silly then, one ot the few N64 games that is future proof somewhat by being possible to do widescreen even on the original/an emulkation and they squander it.  I do sometimes hate Nintendo's utter lack of faith in user intelligence by barring off features that they could explain with a single text box prompt.  They could have made it so something simple and out of the way like tapping the gamepad screen will switch between 4:3 black bars and stretched view (naturally if the in-game widescreen is selected, stretched view will cause the game to display as it should).

• Thumbs Up 1

The Gamepad is also stuck in 4:3 mode although I'd say it's a little worse due to the game already being decreased in size for the Gamepad's screen.